New Topic Respond to this Topic
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
I have a problem. 2011-11-26 17:09:12 Reply

Hello Art Forum regulars. I have a bad habit of not finishing any of my projects and forgetting about the whole thing. I see this as a major flaw, and I think the cause might be because the time it takes for me to complete one pic takes a colossal amount of time. Any tips so I can increase my workflow significantly?

I mean look at this: It takes me about 6 hours just for the lines and an additional 10 hours for coloring. See how bad it is? I am disgraceful. :(

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 17:22:34 Reply

Only way I know to increase your work output is to keep working at it.
You need time to develop faster skills.
Maybe put on some music while you work to keep your mind off the clock and keep the environmental ambiance.

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 17:24:38 Reply

Quality over quantity
</obvious>

Everyone has their own pace. </also_obvious>

ProTip: unplug your internet. Works every time :)

Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 17:37:52 Reply

I have the same problem... most times it's because it's not going the way I want and/or I lose interest. I gotta 'feel' it or I know it'll be total crap! lol

It usually helps me if I have a deadline or other people waiting on me, expecting me to finish. Then I have more than myself to think about. That's why most of the things I do finish are for collabs or contests... and why I could never art as a jorb!! I'd go insane!! lol

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 17:48:32 Reply

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I think I can try to sort this out. I always draw with music. Especially this one.

At 11/26/11 05:37 PM, Nae wrote: and why I could never art as a jorb!!

That's part of my problem lol. I have it as a job, and I'm at risk of getting replaced if I don't shape up. I even had to let Tom get me a personal extension to finish my calendar entry. :(

BBS Signature
Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 18:37:24 Reply

Oh dear, I have the same problem. I hardly ever finish anything. I've been trying to get a webcomic up and running for about a year now, and the site still looks the same as when it was one month old : / That also has to do with the fact that I know nothing of websites and ComicPress, but I totally could have if I pushed myself more.
Anyway, what works for me is the motivation of an assignment and maybe the money that's in it, but apparently even that is not enough for you :D Well, if the work itself is engaging and creative, it of course makes working on it more fun. Maybe you should set some kind of new, creative boundary or rule for a piece of work you really want or need to finish?

Civilized-Apocalypse
Civilized-Apocalypse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 18:49:26 Reply

i feel like i have more the problem where, i can sit down and work for hours on something, but if i stop before i finish the huge ass piece, i have a very very slim chance of ever finishing it.
just be mean to yourself and tell yourself stuff like no more food until you finish this or if you really wanna be a dick no more bathroom breaks until you finish this
course maybe that only works on girls, food = god

BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 19:38:00 Reply

Oh my, I have this same issue. The best remedy is time constraint, or just creating a sense of urgency in your mind and relentlessly forcing yourself to battle through to finishing your creations.

The most essential for myself, however, would have to be maficmelody's suggestion. It works so well for me when I have the willpower to do so:

At 11/26/11 05:24 PM, maficmelody wrote: ProTip: unplug your internet. Works every time :)

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 20:03:27 Reply

At 11/26/11 05:48 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Thanks for the replies so far guys. I think I can try to sort this out. I always draw with music. Especially this one.

when choosing drawing music the best kind to use is instrumental, vocals distract your brain because you're processing what is being said. When its just instruments it stimulates creativity.
I have a whole playlist for drawing that has no vocals.

SoConfused
SoConfused
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 20:44:31 Reply

I haven't done a lot of art recently, but when it comes to getting similar things done such as projects or business presentations, I do have a few ideas. The first is that I usually make a list of what I need to get finished, and when it is due (I use Todolicious for Mac to make a checklist). Then I make myself a deal, I have to get X done on Tuesday, or else I don't get to X (junk food, night out, etc.). Just make sure the thing you are trying to bargain with isn't within reach, or else you may be using it before you finish anything. If you have to walk to a store to get your large box of Junior Mints, you aren't going to decide to walk to the store in the middle of what you have to get done.

I also really enjoy music, and one playlist in particular. It is a collection of upbeat techno/trance/house music with plenty of bass. (if you have Spotify, the playlist is HERE). Crank up the volume and crank some shit out. Feel free to follow that playlist, I will probably update it. I have a few other techniques that I use to stay on track since I am easily distracted. I guess I could post em later if you like what I have so far...

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."
Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-26 22:35:51 Reply

I am sometimes like this because I get interrupted during the middle of it and have other things on my mind and throws me off focus. It takes patience, plot everything out accordingly before you put anything down on paper or w/e you use. Like my comic thread I have a bunch of other characters I could throw in there and 42 pages of story board but I think sometimes "this can go better" and change it.. Same for the characters I see another design that I think looks cooler or think it'll fit better with the character.

I changed the main character a few times, it's like you first need to focus on what you will be putting down it works out so much better. And if you can sketch out the piece a few times and see what your most happy with. Oh and when I get fed up with a piece I draw boobs to pass the time. Draw what grabs your interest the most until you think you can get back to doing your thing on the other piece. Or try something new and see what you can find with that.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-27 02:10:08 Reply

If you can't find motivation, how about fearing that if you don't finish your work, you'll wake up in the middle of the night to this.

I have a problem.

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-27 02:16:13 Reply

Nightmare fuel. Much appreciated.

At 11/27/11 02:10 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: If you can't find motivation, how about fearing that if you don't finish your work, you'll wake up in the middle of the night to this.
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-27 06:07:52 Reply

Scanning over this thread, the only question I keep posing myself is: What is a jorb?

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to I have a problem. 2011-11-27 06:20:18 Reply

Thank you all for sharing your stories, now I know I am not alone. With this knowledge I feel a lot more motivated to keep pushing. Thank you guys! I think I'm gonna get all emotional here lol. I hope we can all get through this as a whole, so we can further strengthen our bonds.

I would like to thank Nightmare Jonny especially, since with his "positive" reinforcement I'll be sure to get things done now. You can all use him too as a reason to finish your jobs! He doesn't only apply to art, he applies to everything. *cue creepy music*

cries hysterically due to fear. D:
At 11/27/11 06:07 AM, test-object wrote: Scanning over this thread, the only question I keep posing myself is: What is a jorb?

Oh I found this one on urban dictionary, the best known vocabulary enhancing site ever!

Jorb
A traditional priestly garment - commonly used in the Catholic Church. Occasionally confused for a robe or coat by those less educated in the Catechism.

"The priest was overwhelmed with a feeling of compassion for the sinners, probably because he had just gotten a new jorb that week and was full of God."

BBS Signature