00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread

15,655 Views | 191 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Kid Icarus: Uprising is the latest installement in a series that has only had two games, one on NEs, and another on Gameboy.

Now Nintendo's brought Kid Icarus back after 19 years. The game everyone thought they'd be playing as a launch title should be coming out in early 2012, almost a year after is was speculated to release.

OH LOOK, A TRAILER.

AND ACTUAL WORDS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO AREN'T LAZY.

Essentially, the game will boil down to levels comprised of three distinct segments:

Flying: You have 5 minutes (or three, I need comfirmation of this) to shoot your way through an on rails flying segment.

Land: You have free reign over your movement, and can shoot and do melee attacks and stuff.

Boss battles: Self explanatory.

The game has a 3 on 3 multiplayer death match or team "protect the leader" games.

AR cards are sold seperately to compete in Yu-gi-oh style card battles.

When I first saw this game at E3 2010, the graphics were so nice, they looked like a Wii game. I really hope this game looks nice in 3D.

The gameplay I have full confidance in, Conisdering the guy behind the Kirby series and the Smash Bros series is leading the dev team.

Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2011-11-22 19:24:02

This looks promising. I enjoyed playing the demo of Kid Icarus on Brawl, but it didn't have any rail shooting levels like the trailer showed. Ah well. This game might just offer me reason to get a 3DS.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2011-11-26 13:01:49

Why do I get this terrible feeling like this will be like Duke Nukem Forever and won't satisfy fans as a sequel they've waited so long for?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2011-12-13 16:18:31

Confirmed for March 23rd.

I've got to say, the voice acting is absolutely horrendous. It makes me cringe whenever Pit speaks. The game looks gorgeous, but the voices are falt out terrible.

I'm interested in the gameplay. It reminds me of Sin and punishment, which is a good thing. I hope it turns out well.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2011-12-13 16:53:32

First Impressions:

The multiplayer will suck.

The flying segments seem to work very well.

The controls for land movement will probably end up being "wonky"(shooting and melee in a 3rd person game? This never goes well...[Ratchet and Clank]).

Pit's voice... ugh. Should have gone the "silent protagonist" route.

Game will be short, and lack replay value. Also, it seems really cheesy.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-01-31 20:28:51

A difficulty trailer.

This game seems to have a creative difficulty system, you bet hearts (the game's currency) that can be used to buy better weapons and bonuses. Each level lets you choose a diffenret difficulty, form a 1 to a 9, 9 being the hardest. The harder it is when you beat the level the more hearts you earn.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-01-31 20:49:20

You just know Sakurai is leading this project, because the game just keeps getting delayed.

I'm glad they're taking their time. That just means more content to enjoy and fine-tuned gameplay. But then again, Sakurai and his new, fresh team of elite developers essentially have only this on their plate before they can begin on the next Smash Bros. game, and I don't do good waiting for those.

Here's hoping for Project Sora's first success.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-01-31 21:04:57

At 1/31/12 08:49 PM, Gustavos wrote: You just know Sakurai is leading this project, because the game just keeps getting delayed.

The man made Kirby at age 19. He can take as much time as he wants.

I'm glad they're taking their time. That just means more content to enjoy and fine-tuned gameplay. But then again, Sakurai and his new, fresh team of elite developers essentially have only this on their plate before they can begin on the next Smash Bros. game, and I don't do good waiting for those.

At E3 2011 they just announced the game would be made, but made sure to tell us that they hadn't done anything yet. I'm interested in seeing what was supposedly supposed to be a launch title turn into. The idea of new AR cards excites me as well.

Also, Space Krakens.

Space Krakens.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-02-01 17:12:39

What's with the sad faces? I can't wait for this?

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-02-02 02:18:43

At 1/31/12 09:04 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: The man made Kirby at age 19. He can take as much time as he wants.

Damn straight. Besides, I'd rather them make it right and take forever, instead of the alternative of them pushing an early release for the game to be half-assed.

That said, yeah, the multiplayer will probably be awful. But if that's what you're buying the game for, you're already off to a bad start.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-02-22 21:50:04

Anyone who doubted the multiplayer has another thing coming.

TWO TRAILERS ABOVE.

The multiplayer looks, quite frankly, amazing. It has various maps, 3 on 3 team deathmatches, customizable characters (choose a weapon, a status effect for the weapon, and an extra power like invisibility or speed), competitive modes, and some damn good looking concepts.

I also like the wide variety of weapon types. Claws, blades, staffs, palms, cannons, clubs, etc...

This game is looknig much better than it did a few weeks ago.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-02-24 04:46:05

good god this game looks awesome. i wasnt originally gonna get this from the start, but looking at it now and all its features, im definitely getting it. multiplayer especially looks great.
all the different types of weapons really look good too, especially since there is so much variety. 9 different types, and so many weapons within those categories! you can even fuse weapons to get better weapons too!
really looking forward to this

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-02-24 15:31:31

Not sure how much time im going to have for this game. I will probably get it pre ordered when I go pick up Tales of Graces F on march 13th or if I buy metal gear solid 3D before then because I would like the pre order bonus but geez I just don't know how much time I can spend on this game when it comes out.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-02-24 16:28:14

I'm pretty sure this game is done since sakurai started work on super smash bros 4.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-02-24 20:58:56

At 4 hours ago, majormelthesackboy wrote: I'm pretty sure this game is done since sakurai started work on super smash bros 4.

All he said was that his job was done on it, that doesn't necessarily mean it is ready. I am going to agree with you though since it probably is done a month or two before release, but that month is essential for generating marketing, shipping out copies, and lots of other non developement stuff.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-06 16:41:25

News and such, just trying to start a pre launch discussion.

So apparently vaguely Metroid style space pirates will be a fourth faction in the game. The other factions are Palutena's army, the Underworld army, and the humans.

Anyone really excited for the multiplayer? Looks like a really addictive third person shooter, especially with 9 weapon classes and 3 vs 3 teams.

Apparently there will be "hundreds" of AR cards to battle with Yu Gi Oh style. You get 6 with your purchase of the game (as well as a little stand for the 3DS to make it easier to play).

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-06 23:15:11

At 6 hours ago, Bobbybroccoli wrote: News and such, just trying to start a pre launch discussion.

So apparently vaguely Metroid style space pirates will be a fourth faction in the game. The other factions are Palutena's army, the Underworld army, and the humans.

yeah, freaking metroid-like enemies. i was all like "wtf?"

Anyone really excited for the multiplayer? Looks like a really addictive third person shooter, especially with 9 weapon classes and 3 vs 3 teams.

i am SO pumped for multiplayer. of course, i'll have to do single player first to get weapons and all, but as soon as ive got weapons im good with, im hitting the multiplayer hard

Apparently there will be "hundreds" of AR cards to battle with Yu Gi Oh style. You get 6 with your purchase of the game (as well as a little stand for the 3DS to make it easier to play).

yeah, thought this was neat at first, but it doesnt really seem to add much. I might not be as well informed though. Do you get items or something if you battle with friends? even if you get anything, i know i wont because not many people around where i live own a 3DS, and even smaller chance of them getting Kid Icarus, so i probably will check that out once, then never touch it again, meaning i wont be buying any extra cards to use.
---
Im also quite excited about them giving out one weapon jewel per day over spotpass, kinda like how they gave out ghosts for MK7 once per day, that'll really give people better chances to get better weapons through weapon fusion

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-16 20:16:00

Free AR cards from club Nintendo.

The AR cards of which Nintendo claims there are "hundreds" are semi hard to get. I reserved my limited edition Club Nintendo cards for free, but you can also add to your collection by following this:

Want the Three Sacred Treasures cards? Show up at Nintendo World in New York on the game's March 23 launch date. Then pick up the April issues of Game Informer, Nintendo Power and Best Buy's in-store magazine, @Gamer, for another seven cards. Then, you'd better head to a GameStop between the hours of 1 and 4pm on April 14 for another four cards; while you're there, make sure you know when the chain's NYC and LA stores will be holding their next Uprising tournament. There'll be more cards at these in-store meet-ups, as well as at events such as PAX East and this weekend's WonderCon in Anaheim.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-16 21:09:25

At 51 minutes ago, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Free AR cards from club Nintendo.

The AR cards of which Nintendo claims there are "hundreds" are semi hard to get. I reserved my limited edition Club Nintendo cards for free,

too bad it takes about about 2 months for delivery. by the time i get mine, chances are i'll be pretty much done with the game, only playing online multiplayer at that point
Also, KIU comes out in a week! BB, wanna team up in multiplayer online once it comes out?

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-17 19:56:52

At 22 hours ago, Lionel738 wrote:
Also, KIU comes out in a week! BB, wanna team up in multiplayer online once it comes out?

Hell yeah! I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to preorder, but I'm really need a multiplayer game. This could really be one of Nintendo's first online shooters.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-18 17:44:14

Putting aside the obvious gripe with left-handed people, the game looks really promising.

I would've liked it to include japanese voice acting.

Maybe a patch?

Placeholder signature.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-18 19:35:46

At 23 hours ago, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 22 hours ago, Lionel738 wrote:
Hell yeah! I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to preorder, but I'm really need a multiplayer game. This could really be one of Nintendo's first online shooters.

If you pre-order, you get a code that gets you 3D classics: Kid Icarus for your 3DS! If you never played the original Kid Icarus, here's your chance to get it free along with KIU!

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-18 19:53:15

At 2 hours ago, PoloPancake wrote: Putting aside the obvious gripe with left-handed people, the game looks really promising.

I would've liked it to include japanese voice acting.

Maybe a patch?

Instead of making the obvious camera choice, Nintendo has made sure to have it drilled into our heads that the Circle Pad Pro lets left handed players play.

I'm more leaning towards preorder to get some AR cards. My local Best Buy is offering cards with preorder.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-18 20:02:39

At 7 minutes ago, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
Instead of making the obvious camera choice, Nintendo has made sure to have it drilled into our heads that the Circle Pad Pro lets left handed players play.

I'm more leaning towards preorder to get some AR cards. My local Best Buy is offering cards with preorder.

you get the AR cards regardless of if you preorder or not. The game comes with 6 AR cards and a stand for the 3DS. The only bonus for preordering is what i said before, a code to redeem for the Kid Icarus 3D classic game

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-18 20:22:58

At 18 minutes ago, Lionel738 wrote:
At 7 minutes ago, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
you get the AR cards regardless of if you preorder or not. The game comes with 6 AR cards and a stand for the 3DS. The only bonus for preordering is what i said before, a code to redeem for the Kid Icarus 3D classic game

I know about the 6 starters, but some stores offer 3 exclusive to the store for few months before the cards show up on eBay. A promotional thing for certain stores to get extra business by getting Nintendo to give them all of a certain type of card.

Buying magazines like Gameinformer and Nintendo Power give you 3 cards as well.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-21 20:27:45

So I finally preordered it. I guess I'm getting 3 AR cards and the download of the 3D classic now.

Why are only two or three people excited for the return of a 25 year old series? It looks quite good. The controls are apparently a tad odd to get used to, but the level design is amazing.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-22 03:38:52

At 7 hours ago, Bobbybroccoli wrote: So I finally preordered it. I guess I'm getting 3 AR cards and the download of the 3D classic now.

lucky, i had no clue about that 3 extra card thing, am im not even sure if any stores around my area had that deal

Why are only two or three people excited for the return of a 25 year old series? It looks quite good. The controls are apparently a tad odd to get used to, but the level design is amazing.

probably cuz most everyone had forgotten about it or never played it.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-22 05:10:57

Just goes to show how much im looking forward to this game... its coming out tomorrow and I didn't even remember that until just a few minutes ago.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-24 01:40:26

This game is...amazing!

I've only played the first three levels and I'm astounded at the level of quality here. Only Sakurai would put this much effort into reviving a 25 year old series. The way they reward you for increasing the difficulty, the depth of collecting and creating new weapons to use, the orchestrated music, the cinematic qualities of the Starfox-esque segments. My only complaint is I can't seem to control the camera very well during the on-foot segments, but then again, I haven't bothered to check out the manual or the tutorial/practice modes of the game. There's also a ton of Extras and collectibles reminiscent to all the unlockable goodies in Smash Bros.

idols=trophies
powers=stickers
music gallery=sound test
idol toss=trophy lottery thing from Melee

Also, I can predict some people complaining about the constant banter between characters, but honestly, I find some of the lines pretty funny for Nintendo standards.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Official Kid Icarus Uprising thread 2012-03-24 01:54:19

At 11 minutes ago, Gustavos wrote: This game is...amazing!

I've only played the first three levels and I'm astounded at the level of quality here. Only Sakurai would put this much effort into reviving a 25 year old series. The way they reward you for increasing the difficulty, the depth of collecting and creating new weapons to use, the orchestrated music, the cinematic qualities of the Starfox-esque segments. My only complaint is I can't seem to control the camera very well during the on-foot segments, but then again, I haven't bothered to check out the manual or the tutorial/practice modes of the game. There's also a ton of Extras and collectibles reminiscent to all the unlockable goodies in Smash Bros.
Also, I can predict some people complaining about the constant banter between characters, but honestly, I find some of the lines pretty funny for Nintendo standards.

Glad to hear, i'm picking up my copy tomorrow as i couldn't get to it today. Game does look like a lot of fun and seems to be of really high quality. I bet multiplayer will be a blast~