New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Laptops 2011-11-22 16:02:15 Reply

Christmas is coming and I am looking at getting a laptop.

I don't know the best brands, or what to look for.. So, I am hoping for some help here.

To be specific, I don't plan on using the laptop for gaming much whatsoever, it will more than likely be strictly used for music. I work lots on it, so it will be used lots...

I have a desktop right now that is being used for music, but it's a big mess and an old Windows 98, I want to change that and hopefully get a laptop with Windows 7.

Basically, all that I'm looking for is a quality laptop that won't crap out on me, and will be able to run programs such as Adobe Audition (CS5.5), Sony Vegas, Fruity Loops, Reason, etc etc... Things like that.

Now basically, I think just about anything would do the trick, but there is going to be a lot of stuff installed on it as far as drivers and such go as well. I want to have a decent amount of room on it, and I want it to be fast.

I think the price range can go up to about five hundred dollars or so, does anybody know of a laptop that would be suitable for me??

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:04:55 Reply

Also, if there is a good one with quite a few USB slots, does anybody know of it??? Or are there things you can buy that will give you more USB slots, such as a USB adapter or something?

Yeah, whatever.

MaartenC
MaartenC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:05:07 Reply

I have bad experience with dell: after a week or three they get reeaaaly slow.

Now take an asus laptop. I'm typing on this one who's had a rough 'life' it fell about two times from at least one meter high and it still works on very high speed. I filled my harddisk(s) with junk, it still works at pro speed.

Take an asus, seriously.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:11:05 Reply

At 11/22/11 04:05 PM, MaartenC wrote: Take an asus, seriously.

My younger brother has an Asus and I'm impressed with it for the most part, the issue I have with it is that sometimes it stops working completely, or something fucks up with it and we have to send it back to the manufacturer, this sometimes takes a week or two for them to be able to fix it/replace it, and then the same thing happens a few months later.

I don't want that happening.

Yeah, whatever.

Falonefal
Falonefal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Filmmaker
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:11:40 Reply

Win the lottery and order an Alienware laptop with maximum enhancements.

When you have lots of money, it doesn't matter that it's overpriced, you'll look cool and get loads of people raging at you wasting your money.

Tick Tock

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:14:42 Reply

At 11/22/11 04:11 PM, Luke wrote: My younger brother has an Asus and I'm impressed with it for the most part, the issue I have with it is that sometimes it stops working completely

Right.

and then the same thing happens a few months later.

Sounds like they're total shit, then.

I've had a Sony Viao for six years or so and never had to send it back or get any replacements for it. Touch wood. Still works as fast as it did when I got it, which at the time was pretty fast.

MaartenC
MaartenC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:14:53 Reply

At 11/22/11 04:11 PM, Luke wrote:
At 11/22/11 04:05 PM, MaartenC wrote: Take an asus, seriously.
My younger brother has an Asus and I'm impressed with it for the most part, the issue I have with it is that sometimes it stops working completely,

Never had that in my life before....

Also, don't send it to asus, instead let a local computershop take a look at it, much cheaper and most of the time they come with a solution.

GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:15:21 Reply

At 11/22/11 04:04 PM, Luke wrote: Also, if there is a good one with quite a few USB slots, does anybody know of it??? Or are there things you can buy that will give you more USB slots, such as a USB adapter or something?

most laptops have 4-5 usb ports. you can buy a usb hub for like $5-10 that basically turns one port into 4 ports. i have dozens of the fucking things.

since you're not going to be using it for gaming you don't need a ridiculous gpu so you can save a lot of money there. you should look for something with a dual or quad core cpu and 4gb ram.

acer is a great brand and this is good for everything you're looking for. there are cheaper models but this one will probably last longer because its specs are better and it'll be able to run newer software. the processor is really, really good.

MaartenC
MaartenC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Laptops 2011-11-22 16:18:13 Reply

At 11/22/11 04:15 PM, GiantDouche wrote: acer is a great brand and this is good for everything you're looking for. there are cheaper models but this one will probably last longer because its specs are better and it'll be able to run newer software. the processor is really, really good.

Indeed, for what you're looking for, acer is better.

If you want to do more than just music (gaming for me :P) you'll want asus. Just go for a laptop that lasts longer than 1,5 years, which is the average lifespan of a laptop.

Mine is about two years old now.