00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Folk music: Why it sucks.

10,966 Views | 43 Replies

Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:38:27

I've noticed that since the death of the recorded music industry, there has been a revisionist historical folk music revival.

In short, untalented people who never learned how to play more than three chords or play faster than 60 BPM and are only capable of performing melodies vocally have begun filling our ears with their garbage en masse, and then proclaiming that it's not about the the music at all, but social issues.

This could not be more shit.

For those of you who were lucky enough to grow up with freedom from religion, what this boils down to is now secular musicians are doing what horrible Christian musicians have been doing for years; making shitty music and claiming that listening to that music is a way of getting in tune with something greater than yourself... you know, as opposed to listening to music that you actually like.

You see, because if you're too ignorant to know the difference between a leech of a human being attaching themself to a famous charity distract attention from the core issue and direct it towards themselves and someone who's music is good enough to stand on it's own, you're probably also dumb enough to think you're doing something positive by supporting this garbage.

CHILDREN WITH CANCER NEED MEDICINE, NOT MUSIC. THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF SANDAL FOOTED HIPPY BULLSHIT PROTEST SONGS THAN CAN REPLACE EDUCATION AND EFFECTIVE LEGISLATION.

There is no greater scum than those that would twist the suffering of others into their own fame and fortune.

If you want to help someone with cancer, or a victim or violence or sexual abuse, FIND SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO IS SUFFERING AND HELP THEM IN PERSON.

Otherwise, you're just trying to buy and sell morality like a storefront preacher, and you don't even have a concept of what a decent human being is, let alone the capability to become one.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:40:11

I dunno, sometimes folk music is fun to chill to if you're at a harvest festival or something and you have an acoustic guitar. It's easy listening that pretty much anyone can listen to.

Sure, it's not on my Ipod, but don't flat out say it's terrible.

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:42:15

I'm neither religious nor hick or anything the like, and i enjoy folk music.

Fuck you and everything you stand for.

Piss

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:42:16

FUNK posting in support of human decency and morals?

Hell must be freezing over as I type this... o_0

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:43:40

I feel like the original post kind of derailed from stating an opinion with little if any fact into a rant on the misguided beliefs of a large group of people that are easy to single out and pick on.

For both topics, I don't care much at all; if I don't like a song, I don't listen to it. If I don't like a person, I avoid them.

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:44:58

ITT: If some people in a genre of music of bad, the genre as a whole is bad.

No, I don't like folk music.

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:45:04

At 11/20/11 08:40 PM, Zippy-MyMusic wrote: I dunno, sometimes folk music is fun to chill to if you're at a harvest festival or something and you have an acoustic guitar. It's easy listening that pretty much anyone can listen to.

Sure, it's not on my Ipod, but don't flat out say it's terrible.

I grew up in a gospel playing bluegrass family. Everything you can do on guitar, you can do BETTER with an accordion or even a good old fashioned brass horn.

Why do folkies use guitars, then, the one stringed instrument deemed so shitty that it was never incorporated into the classical orchestra? Because it's fucking quiet, and you can't hear out loud how bad they suck. They can easily drown out their shitty playing with whisper quiet singing.

The first two things they teach you in music class is how to project (be loud) and how to perform in a group.

Shit bag folkies have the talent to do neither. Normally, they even lack the social skills to form a basic duo.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:47:58

i like folk music then again i never really realized that it is inferior in terms of difficulty playing it to other genres wow funk you've opened my eyes

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:48:58

At 11/20/11 08:42 PM, mansellscore wrote: I'm neither religious nor hick or anything the like, and i enjoy folk music.

If were well acquainted with meth faced hicks and religious nutjobs, you'd know all folk music originates with them and their kind.

Fuck you and everything you stand for.

My, aren't you just the most hardcore little dear, aren't you?

At 11/20/11 08:42 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: FUNK posting in support of human decency and morals?

Hell must be freezing over as I type this... o_0

My argument is that the worst kind of scumbag is the kind of person who tries to trick you into believing decency and morality exist.

They don't. I learned that in college philosophy.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:50:46

Especially Chinese folk music, wafting through the air every fucking morning in this shitty shit hole of a dieased souless barren fuckland (China). Every fucking morning my ears are seranated with the serene siren call of. Aywywywyyeyeyeyeeyeywaaaawwwyayayayaya ywwww aaaaaaaaayyyyyahhhh ayyeee eeeeeoooo eeeeruunnnng eng eng erng ern ang ungh eeeeooooooeeeeeeoooooo ayaouuuuuuuu. Chinese people sure like their ching ching vowels. Ayyyah!

At 4/22/09 12:38 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Raped by hongkong. NEXT.

Yeah, that was one champion of a post, wasn't it? -Zerok

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:51:40

hav u red the stoned ape theory dont u agree we should all be smoking weed and taking mushrooms

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:52:53

At 11/20/11 08:48 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: I learned that in college philosophy.

^this should be on a t-shirt

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:54:43

I never find myself able to make an opinionated blanket-statement about any particular genre of music. There's always good types and bad types of each style. It's not really fair to say all songs of the X genre are bad. For example, I absolutely hate most "screemo" songs every time I hear one - but, Brokencyde is tolerable enough to listen to (in moderation).

I respect all types of music, even if I may not like it myself, as music is an expression of an individual or even an entire culture.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 20:54:44

At 11/20/11 08:52 PM, GiantDouche wrote:

Hell, I'd buy it. Looks like a job for the Newgrounds store.

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 21:06:42

At 11/20/11 08:48 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
If were well acquainted with meth faced hicks and religious nutjobs, you'd know all folk music originates with them and their kind.

I care where it originates? Isn't music about the sound? You seem to be narrowing your horizons due to discrimination.

My, aren't you just the most hardcore little dear, aren't you?

Yes, i chew tin cans and spit out nails.

Piss

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 21:23:20

At 11/20/11 08:54 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 11/20/11 08:52 PM, GiantDouche wrote:
Hell, I'd buy it. Looks like a job for the Newgrounds store.

Alright someone just needs to pay for the materials and we're good to go.

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 21:33:06

At 11/20/11 09:06 PM, mansellscore wrote:

I care where it originates? Isn't music about the sound? You seem to be narrowing your horizons due to discrimination.

Well, you would if you had any originality or the inkling of a soul. I mean, why learn how to cook your own gourmet meals from scratch when you can pay twice as much for McDonald's Mc Doubles your whole life?

Yes, i chew tin cans and spit out nails.

Technically the best you could hope for is to spit out staples.

Once I played drums in a show where two grown men played tug of war with hooks in their backs until one set of hooks ripped free.

Haha, I found video of a part of it. I'm the one playing the drums in the background.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 21:35:14

At 11/20/11 09:33 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/20/11 09:06 PM, mansellscore wrote:
Haha, I found video of a part of it. I'm the one playing the drums in the background.

That's just a soundtrack to human retardation

Folk music is sounding pretty good right about now

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-20 21:38:22

At 11/20/11 09:35 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
That's just a soundtrack to human retardation

No, it's the human spirit overcoming the most rudimentary of human obstacles to intellectual life; the conquering of pain itself.

That's what real spirituality and community look like. Judge it all you want.

Folk music is sounding pretty good right about now

As long as you fear the pain of the whip, you do what you're told I guess.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-21 18:13:48

At 11/20/11 09:38 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: That's what real spirituality and community look like. Judge it all you want.

spirituality=drunken redneck skin pull tug of war damn funk you're just full of enlightenment huh

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-21 18:54:27

For once I sort of agree with you.

What? I think i need to sit down and think this over.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-21 19:06:44

I agree....except when it comes to Bob Dylan. Dylan owns. Even tho I can't understand half of what he's saying half the time.

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-21 19:15:39

So Funk, do you listen to The Project Hate MCMXCIX? It seems like you would.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-21 19:16:44

You're a very shortsighted individual but I already knew that.

There's one main reason why I can not give a fuck about this particular opinion, it's because if Folk and guitar indeed did suck so much, you wouldn't have needed to make a whole thread about it showing your intense hate for an unknown reason, if you don't like it - don't eat it, if you're going to try to tell people what to like and what not to like you're going to look like a fool, it's cause you're not famous enough to do so.

Get a big fanbase and then come back preaching about how good or bad something is, having a supportive fanbase adds a lot of power to your words and silences many people trying to oppose you, the quality of truth is measured by the quantity of said truth's carriers.

In general that is.

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-21 19:24:34

I don't know how broad your definition of "folk" is, but Comus is awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-21 19:32:29

At 11/20/11 08:38 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: There is no greater scum than those that would twist the suffering of others into their own fame and fortune.

What about the people actually causing the suffering.

OOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIII-

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-24 21:09:53

At 11/21/11 07:32 PM, LeroyBr0wn wrote:
At 11/20/11 08:38 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: There is no greater scum than those that would twist the suffering of others into their own fame and fortune.
What about the people actually causing the suffering.

OOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIII-

Oh, folkies have caused my ears plenty of suffering.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-24 22:55:44

You have no legible or truly coherant reasoning behind your veiw, other than your narrow little short sighted mind trying to force its shitty worthless veiws on the rest of us?

I mean not only do you slander the music for something related to it that isn't the music, but you then continue to make yourself seem like some form of intellectual for doing so?

My friend there is a time when people like me hang up the paragraphs of reason and what logic i can find and say " it's not worth it".

Your opinion doesn't carry much weight here.

Piss

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-24 23:09:28

At 11/24/11 10:55 PM, mansellscore wrote: You have no legible or truly coherant reasoning behind your veiw, other than your narrow little short sighted mind trying to force its shitty worthless veiws on the rest of us?

It's the misspellings that make this reply golden.

I know many folk musicians. I come from a bluegrass family. I play mandolin and accordion for crying out loud.

I mean not only do you slander the music for something related to it that isn't the music, but you then continue to make yourself seem like some form of intellectual for doing so?

Music is a part of culture. And "country" culture as it is idealized by folk music is a very abusive and violent place.

Did you know that country music fans are the ones most likely to have a fight at one of their shows? Not metal. Not punk. COUNTRY. And country, as we all know, is American Folk music.

BBS Signature

Response to Folk music: Why it sucks. 2011-11-24 23:11:19

At 11/24/11 11:09 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/24/11 10:55 PM, mansellscore wrote:
Did you know that country music fans are the ones most likely to have a fight at one of their shows? Not metal. Not punk. COUNTRY. And country, as we all know, is American Folk music.

Someone better tell Simon, Garfunkel, Tracy Chapman, and Bob Dylan this.