Be a Supporter!

Stop this Act now!

  • 8,281 Views
  • 191 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-19 17:39:04 Reply

Mike has a new video up:
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS5rSvZXe 8
The kid who is facing extradition from the UK for infringement is going to have all legal expenses paid by billionaire Alki David .

And Megaupload has been taken down.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
djack
djack
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-19 20:49:05 Reply

At 1/19/12 02:33 PM, Camarohusky wrote: First off, you don't go to jail for copyright infringement unless it's egregious. And guess what? That has ZERO to do with this bill. if someone believed he was commiting flagrant and wanton piracy as such to trigger already existing stautes they could arrest him. We don't need SOPA or PIPA to do what you fear here. Also, this is a perfect example of after the fact due process.

Because the story goes along with Camaro's point, this is an example of egregious copyright infringement that can lead to being imprisoned. Notice how the damages are in the hundreds of millions and these people and that the site was "expressly designed to promote uploading of the most popular copyrighted works for many millions of users to download." These are the kinds of sites that SOPA is designed to fight, especially since many of them like Megaupload are based in foreign countries and require the assistance of those nations to prosecute.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-19 21:23:17 Reply

It's really hard to track everything that has gone on in this thread, so I am going to summarize what I have heard.

Good points backed up by language in the bill:

- The bill as is allows for ex parte proceedings which can result in the shutting down of websites.

Numerous other points that have yet to provide any bisis in either of the bills:

- Will kill fair use
- Will shut down Google and youtube
- Will subject single youtube posters to criminal liability

Points of valid discussion:
- The use and value of file sharing sites
- Whether ex post facto due process is OK in the relm of IP enforcement
- Whether much of the fears are new and unique to these bills or already exist

My own personal grumbling points (which sadly make up the vast majority of 'discourse' on the bills):
- The quick and fervent opposition of a bill that clearly many people do not understand (that includes you Jon Stewart)
- The lack of support (whether by laziness or by there being no support) for the claims against the act
- The slippery slope claims (I am very much not a fan of this argument tool)

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-19 21:25:42 Reply

At 1/19/12 03:07 PM, Malachy wrote: Consider this a warning.

It's hard to argue alone against so much people. Now I know why Cellar and Musician were the way they were...

SmilezRoyale
SmilezRoyale
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-19 22:05:34 Reply

At 1/19/12 09:23 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
My own personal grumbling points (which sadly make up the vast majority of 'discourse' on the bills):
- The quick and fervent opposition of a bill that clearly many people do not understand (that includes you Jon Stewart)

Many people support the passage of legislation either tacitly or actively for which their knowledge of zero. The fact that people know merely that this bill will allow, ex post facto due process [Or as I like to think of it, "Sentence first, verdict afterwards"] For them, which party is the main force backing it, and what the title or stated intention of the bill is is sufficient grounds for accepting it.

This fervent, perhaps even faddish opposition to SOPA might seem frustrating to you, but in my eyes it represents a relative improvement.


On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Sworly
Sworly
  • Member since: May. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-19 23:31:27 Reply

At 1/19/12 09:25 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/19/12 03:07 PM, Malachy wrote: Consider this a warning.
It's hard to argue alone against so much people. Now I know why Cellar and Musician were the way they were...

I don't remember there being a need to be a jack-ass when one is debating.

Stop this Act now!

Gario
Gario
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-20 01:47:27 Reply

At 1/19/12 09:25 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/19/12 03:07 PM, Malachy wrote: Consider this a warning.
It's hard to argue alone against so much people. Now I know why Cellar and Musician were the way they were...

It's a road hard travel'd, admittedly. I empathize, as a person who takes less popular stances on most issues. Save for this one, and since you're starting where we left (which was because of MAG, I admit) then I'll just continue as it was.

Actually, there are numerous pieces of due process that work exactly like this. We haven't seen a flood of arrests and search warrants, have we? Just because due process occurs after the fact in some cases, does not automatically equall massive abuse of the system.

The clause that people are pretty unambiguously arguing for is this one "... nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law[.]". Taking down a website prior to informing the owner is not currently an allowed practice, and so is retrospectively a violation. Technically if this were to pass, then it would actually be proper due process to take a site down without warning because it's now written into law. However, that is only correct after the fact (that is, if the people allow this to become law), and is therefore moot, for now.

In a way, I agree with you... but now it's simply a matter of the fact that people don't want that to be written into law, in the first place. I guess the more accurate way of putting this is that people don't want due process to be a case where they can't confront the opposing party until after the assumption of guilt is applied.

Where in the Bill does it say that the sites that are shut down are eradicated?

It doesn't need to say it in the bill. What do you think happens when Tom can't pay for a server to hold his information? The bill cuts funding, and without funding Tom can't keep the servers running, and they remove the material so they can support the next paying customer. It's not explicitly in the bill - I'm running a number crunch with logic and coming to this conclusion myself (and if you want to verify this, ask Tom if this would be the case - if he says otherwise then I'll retract my statement).

First off, you don't go to jail for copyright infringement unless it's egregious. And guess what? That has ZERO to do with this bill. if someone believed he was commiting flagrant and wanton piracy as such to trigger already existing stautes they could arrest him. We don't need SOPA or PIPA to do what you fear here. Also, this is a perfect example of after the fact due process.

Jail and/or paying the companies back. It was an inclusive 'or' function - he might not go to jail, but he does become liable for all possible damages from uploaders on his site. I get this conclusion when the bill states that the target is...

(Sec. 102. b. 1. B) an owner or operator of a foreign infringing site.

That makes him personally liable, and since action is taken before due process, that means he's going to be suffering the consequences before he has the chance to act. Also, because the action is 'In Personam', that means that whatever action is taken, it's not only against the site (that is, material being taken down), but also against the person (the offender in question is to pay restitution according to what the law requires - that's not specific to this bill, so I cannot say specifically what that entails; assumingly restitution for damages at least, though).

The only way to be thrown in jail during any civil proceeding is to commit contempt of court.

Jail is jumping to conclusions. I HEARD that it'd be on the level of felony, but I haven't found that yet so I'm not going to assume. If someone could kindly point out where in the bill it states that it would be appreciated.

I retract that statement.

First, I am pretty damn sure Tom has enough money to afford attorneys.

I disagree with that, outright - in a war of attrition (which is what court cases - and especially civil cases - are about), Tom doesn't have nearly the resources that the companies he'd be counter suing would have :/

Again, due process isn't as static as you think it is. The shutting down of a site with a hearing after the fact is well within the definition of due process.

Read above - in short, it's not within the current mindset of due process, as it stands, though if it passes then it technically will be.

By asking for an up front due process you are essentially claiming that the liberty to operate a website is more important that the liberty of movement (not being incarcerated).

I'm claiming that property (and possibly liberty, if the claims that it'll be a felony hold out to be true) shouldn't be taken away until proven guilty in court. Which isn't possible for some foreign websites... and yeah, that is objectively a problem with the current system. I don't think most anti-SOPA/PIPA people deny that, though - they just think that this isn't the answer.

Seriously, when is the last time you have seen a law that was abused so much?

When my former sister-in-law buttfucked my brother in court through perjury, fraud and parental kidnapping (I'm not kidding) and hid behind an emotional performance to evade the regular enforcement of the law. The legal system ignored her felonies (of which she has committed a few) because there is no money to pursue them.

Well, you asked.

above that, when was the last time you have seen a law that so directly could harm a fundamental Constitutional right that has been abused?

NDAA, if people are correct on it. Though I haven't investigated it myself, so it may or may not be a valid concern. A debate for another time.

I argue this position more out of a distate for how the other side is run (just like my opposition to OWS) than out of support for it.

Eh, I feel you - personally I wasn't much for that movement myself for similar reasons. I did, however, agree with many points that they made and wish they approached the whole thing a little differently.

...When only 3-6% of your group can make a cogent argument to support their side, the group really needs to rethink itself.

Arguing that a position is wrong because most of the people are stupid is an ad hominum. If only 1% could make a coherent argument and everyone else followed, if that argument was absolutely perfect then I don't think that the position would need to rethink anything.


Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-20 13:52:27 Reply

We win. For now anyway.
All of those rat bastards just wasted millions of dollars trying to get those bills passed.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-20 17:04:07 Reply

The OPEN Act was introduced on the floor yesterday, and given the sharp decline in support of SOPA and PIPA after the blackout and flood of e-mails and phone calls, hopefully it will get some serious consideration.

The main distinction to make between OPEN and the other proposed bills, and as is explained in the above article, is that the International Trade Commission handles claims of piracy as this agency already deals with copyright claims and related issues.
It also focuses on sights that are more 'dedicated' to piracy; sites like The Pirate Bay, where with the other bills other sites can be targeted and essentially shut off.
Finally OPEN has advertisers and payment companies halt business with the offending site, as opposed to search engines and service providers, which originally prompted the claims that SOPA would shut off google.

Of course there's more available in the main article and by other sources you may turn up, but that's the big highlights. So wouldn't this be a bill that could be a good sort of middle ground? Taking on piracy without issues of censorship and unnecessary intrusion that have been brought to light in SOPA and PIPA?


If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-20 18:29:09 Reply

Well, this act HAS been stopped now. Read it and rejoice:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainmen t/os-megaupload-shut-down-arrest-kim-dot com-20120120,0,3705603.story

SOPA and PIPA have been officially withdrawn, and megaupload has been shut down for copyright infringement and racketeering charges. Couldn't have come at a better time. Goodbye SOPA and PIPA! :D

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-20 21:03:36 Reply

actually, it is NOT over.

before the white sheep come in to say that if you have nothing to hide, there is no reason to oppose this, I'm afraid you don't understand just how easily allowing the government to watch you at all times can be abused.

the NDAA was already signed you you really have to make sure you don't allow the government to find out who is verbally opposing them until it understands the difference between being a suspect, and being convicted in a court of law.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Akkere
Akkere
  • Member since: Jan. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-21 15:23:25 Reply

At 1/19/12 09:25 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/19/12 03:07 PM, Malachy wrote: Consider this a warning.
It's hard to argue alone against so much people. Now I know why Cellar and Musician were the way they were...

It's hard to understand why you'd alone support a bill as ugly as SOPA, or at the very least dedicate yourself to shooting down every argument against it, especially if you keep dodging half of what people say.
I think that's why everyone's so boiled up against you, especially when most people were talking about SOPA you posted the PIPA.


"A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE, LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL, MY ANGER "

Akkere
Akkere
  • Member since: Jan. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-21 15:45:15 Reply

At 1/19/12 09:23 PM, Camarohusky wrote: It's really hard to track everything that has gone on in this thread, so I am going to summarize what I have heard.

Good points backed up by language in the bill:

- The bill as is allows for ex parte proceedings which can result in the shutting down of websites.

Numerous other points that have yet to provide any bisis in either of the bills:
- Will subject single youtube posters to criminal liability

Actually, going by how the SOPA bill targets those who infringe copyright, anyone who is a movie reviewer can also be in the red.


My own personal grumbling points (which sadly make up the vast majority of 'discourse' on the bills):
- The quick and fervent opposition of a bill that clearly many people do not understand (that includes you Jon Stewart)

The Quick and fervent opposition also originates from the fact that the bills are flawed. The Corporations show absolute lack of ability to handle the power given fairly, such as Warner Brothers' blatant abuse of the DMCA.

- The lack of support (whether by laziness or by there being no support) for the claims against the act

The Lack of Support is due for a number of reasons, not just because of the opposition, but also because Piracy was actually spread by the same corporations who claim to oppose it
Not to mention the fact that Piracy actually doesn't afflict the Entertainment industries as much as they would like people to believe. Most people who Pirate do so because they can't afford to buy it, and generally buy when they can.

- The slippery slope claims (I am very much not a fan of this argument tool)

The Slipper Slope (or rather a loophole) can actually happen in SOPA as well. For example, if you are taking a newly produced medicinal drug and view that a side effect is present, and decide to make a post about it via a blog, it can be deemed infringing on the information on the medicine.


"A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE, LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL, MY ANGER "

djack
djack
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-21 16:41:49 Reply

At 1/21/12 03:23 PM, Akkere wrote:
At 1/19/12 09:25 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/19/12 03:07 PM, Malachy wrote: Consider this a warning.
It's hard to argue alone against so much people. Now I know why Cellar and Musician were the way they were...
It's hard to understand why you'd alone support a bill as ugly as SOPA, or at the very least dedicate yourself to shooting down every argument against it, especially if you keep dodging half of what people say.
I think that's why everyone's so boiled up against you, especially when most people were talking about SOPA you posted the PIPA.

He wasn't alone I just didn't post as much because Camaro actually has a law degree rather than just an interest and minor education about the law, and because I've seen so much anti-SOPA crap all over the place that I didn't have much patience for the stupidity here. As for the SOPA PIPA mixup, it was an honest mistake that most anti-SOPA people didn't even notice because they never actually read either of the bills choosing instead to rely on information from youtube videos and articles that are severely biased against the bill.

At 1/21/12 03:45 PM, Akkere wrote:
At 1/19/12 09:23 PM, Camarohusky wrote: It's really hard to track everything that has gone on in this thread, so I am going to summarize what I have heard.

Good points backed up by language in the bill:

- The bill as is allows for ex parte proceedings which can result in the shutting down of websites.

Numerous other points that have yet to provide any bisis in either of the bills:
- Will subject single youtube posters to criminal liability
Actually, going by how the SOPA bill targets those who infringe copyright, anyone who is a movie reviewer can also be in the red.

No they can't. SOPA targets sites that are guilty of piracy by blocking them from being viewed in the US. There's nothing in the bill that would allow the government to file criminal copyright infringement charges against anyone (there are already laws in place for that just like the case with Megaupload being shut down). Camaro has repeatedly mentioned in the past that SOPA is not about charging anyone with a crime.

My own personal grumbling points (which sadly make up the vast majority of 'discourse' on the bills):
- The quick and fervent opposition of a bill that clearly many people do not understand (that includes you Jon Stewart)
The Quick and fervent opposition also originates from the fact that the bills are flawed. The Corporations show absolute lack of ability to handle the power given fairly, such as Warner Brothers' blatant abuse of the DMCA.

How would anyone against SOPA know that the bills are flawed if most of them have never read them? Furthermore how is a FAILED attempt to abuse the DMCA any indication that SOPA will be abused to the point that it destroys the internet? All laws are open for abuse but our system has checks &balances meant to protect people from that abuse and those checks &balances would still exist even if SOPA had passed.

- The lack of support (whether by laziness or by there being no support) for the claims against the act
The Lack of Support is due for a number of reasons, not just because of the opposition, but also because Piracy was actually spread by the same corporations who claim to oppose it
Not to mention the fact that Piracy actually doesn't afflict the Entertainment industries as much as they would like people to believe. Most people who Pirate do so because they can't afford to buy it, and generally buy when they can.

Megaupload alone accounted for 4% of all internet traffic and was responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. That isn't small. Just because there are steps the entertainment industry could take to reduce piracy doesn't mean that they are unaffected by it and doesn't mean that piracy is good. With posts like that is it any wonder why it seems like the people who most fervently oppose SOPA only do so for the sake of supporting piracy (also this, a webcomic posted two days after the site participated in the SOPA blackout)?

- The slippery slope claims (I am very much not a fan of this argument tool)
The Slippery Slope (or rather a loophole) can actually happen in SOPA as well. For example, if you are taking a newly produced medicinal drug and view that a side effect is present, and decide to make a post about it via a blog, it can be deemed infringing on the information on the medicine.

In what way does that constitute piracy? There are no laws that currently exist that would label that piracy and SOPA defines piracy by referencing pre-existing laws. Comments like that just show how ignorant you are about the law which is what makes arguing against anti-SOPA people so infuriating.

stryker1500
stryker1500
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-21 21:04:57 Reply

I just want to say Thank You, to all the gamers and publishers for standing together to fight these acts and get them put down to sleep. This fight isn't near finished, things will show up in the future, but this shows what we as gamers can do and the power that we have as a group to where even these billion dollar businessmen can't beat. Thank you everyone.


BBS Signature
VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Member since: May. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-21 21:17:35 Reply

MPAA Directly & Publicly Threatens Politicians Who Aren't Corrupt Enough To Stay Bought

"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake,"

This sickens me.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-22 17:26:56 Reply

At 1/21/12 03:45 PM, Akkere wrote: Actually, going by how the SOPA bill targets those who infringe copyright, anyone who is a movie reviewer can also be in the red.

And I can claim that the Moon is actually cheese, but without any proof there is no reason for you to believe me. The link to SOPA has been posted. show me the specific language that supports this claim.

The Quick and fervent opposition also originates from the fact that the bills are flawed. The Corporations show absolute lack of ability to handle the power given fairly, such as Warner Brothers' blatant abuse of the DMCA.

First off, the opposition I have seen has yet to make ANY support for most of their claims. Second, you'll need to source up that abuse of DCMA claim you make.

The Lack of Support is due for a number of reasons, not just because of the opposition, but also because Piracy was actually spread by the same corporations who claim to oppose it

You're going to have to support that claim as well.

Not to mention the fact that Piracy actually doesn't afflict the Entertainment industries as much as they would like people to believe. Most people who Pirate do so because they can't afford to buy it, and generally buy when they can.

Actually, I found that most people who pirate this stuff definitely have the means to purchase it. It's not like these songs cost thousands or even hundreds to get a hold of. Back in the day it cost $15, nowadays is can cost as little as $.99 per song. That is nowhere near prohibitive.


The Slipper Slope (or rather a loophole) can actually happen in SOPA as well. For example, if you are taking a newly produced medicinal drug and view that a side effect is present, and decide to make a post about it via a blog, it can be deemed infringing on the information on the medicine.

First off, you're going to have to source that up. Second, medicine has nothing to do with copyright. Third, that statement has nothing to do with the massive use of a fallacious argument, the slippry slope.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-22 17:51:19 Reply

At 1/22/12 05:26 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/21/12 03:45 PM, Akkere wrote:
The Lack of Support is due for a number of reasons, not just because of the opposition, but also because Piracy was actually spread by the same corporations who claim to oppose it
You're going to have to support that claim as well.

http://www.filmon.com/cbsyousuck/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvK sc

Choke on it.
And it doesn't matter Mike is the one who uploaded the video.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-22 20:11:29 Reply

At 1/22/12 05:51 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: http://www.filmon.com/cbsyousuck/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvK sc

Got either of these in written form? Also, from semi-legitimate sources?

VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Member since: May. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-22 20:15:52 Reply

SOPA is so 2011

Now congress has a brand new act to remove your right. It's called ACTA, and it comes with a big cock ready to fuck you in the ass even harder.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-23 00:49:27 Reply

At 1/22/12 08:15 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: SOPA is so 2011

Now congress has a brand new act to remove your right. It's called ACTA, and it comes with a big cock ready to fuck you in the ass even harder.

* faint* ARE THE FUCKING CONGRESS OUT OF WAY TO TORTURE US?


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
SolInvictus
SolInvictus
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-23 14:07:03 Reply

well i'm glad no one here is having a censorship fit that megaupload is down, but the rest of the world's (or maybe just its loudest and lulziest) position that this is an example of evil gov censorship has me befuddled.


VESTRUM BARDUSIS MIHI EXTASUM
Heathenry; it's not for you
"calling atheism a belief is like calling a conviction belief"

BBS Signature
Gario
Gario
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-23 16:09:16 Reply

At 1/23/12 02:07 PM, SolInvictus wrote: well i'm glad no one here is having a censorship fit that megaupload is down, but the rest of the world's (or maybe just its loudest and lulziest) position that this is an example of evil gov censorship has me befuddled.

In all honesty, it just makes me want to ask why they needed SOPA if they had the power to extradite a foreign company. The one thing SOPA was trying to address (and that I thought needed to be addressed, though not as they did in that bill) was foreign infringement sites because they were out of our jurisdiction. If they can shut down websites like that then I see SOPA as pointless. :/


Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-23 16:39:47 Reply

At 1/23/12 04:09 PM, Gario wrote: In all honesty, it just makes me want to ask why they needed SOPA if they had the power to extradite a foreign company. The one thing SOPA was trying to address (and that I thought needed to be addressed, though not as they did in that bill) was foreign infringement sites because they were out of our jurisdiction. If they can shut down websites like that then I see SOPA as pointless. :/

I am curious about this as well. There were numerous other claims that other people made about SOPA that were already legal, but this one definitely wasn't one of them. Hmm. Maybe someday, when I am bored, I'll look and see what I can find.

FYI, (not to you Gario) I am not an attorney yet. (don't mind being call one personally, but such premature distinctions can be harmful when it comes to getting accredited by the Bar)

djack
djack
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-23 17:08:40 Reply

At 1/23/12 04:09 PM, Gario wrote: In all honesty, it just makes me want to ask why they needed SOPA if they had the power to extradite a foreign company. The one thing SOPA was trying to address (and that I thought needed to be addressed, though not as they did in that bill) was foreign infringement sites because they were out of our jurisdiction. If they can shut down websites like that then I see SOPA as pointless. :/

I believe SOPA was just to block sites from being accessible in the U.S. so that the government wouldn't need to deal with the international cooperation needed to shut down a site based on criminal charges. In the case of Megaupload there were people arrested all over the world by their respective government on behalf of the U.S. as well as actions taken in the U.S.

"Dotcom, Batato, Ortmann and van der Kolk were arrested today in Auckland, New Zealand, by New Zealand authorities, who executed provisional arrest warrants requested by the United States. Bencko, Echternach and Nomm remain at large. Today, law enforcement also executed more than 20 search warrants in the United States and eight countries, seized approximately $50 million in assets and targeted sites where Megaupload has servers in Ashburn, Va., Washington, D.C., the Netherlands and Canada. In addition, the U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va., ordered the seizure of 18 domain names associated with the alleged Mega conspiracy."

At 1/23/12 04:39 PM, Camarohusky wrote: I am curious about this as well. There were numerous other claims that other people made about SOPA that were already legal, but this one definitely wasn't one of them. Hmm. Maybe someday, when I am bored, I'll look and see what I can find.

FYI, (not to you Gario) I am not an attorney yet. (don't mind being call one personally, but such premature distinctions can be harmful when it comes to getting accredited by the Bar)

I never said you were accredited just that you have the degree (that's based on what you've said in the past so if it isn't true you'll need to clarify what exactly you are). Even without being accredited you're still in a better position to understand the legalese that bills are written in than I am. While I can get a general understanding of what's in the law, breaking it apart piece by piece would be difficult for me and would take a great deal of time or at least a lot more time than I'm guessing it would take you.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-23 18:15:39 Reply

At 1/23/12 05:08 PM, djack wrote: I never said you were accredited just that you have the degree (that's based on what you've said in the past so if it isn't true you'll need to clarify what exactly you are).

You're close. You're just three months ahead. I will have graduated by the end of this Spring, and hopefully will be accredited this Fall.

VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Member since: May. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-24 16:02:20 Reply

At 1/23/12 02:07 PM, SolInvictus wrote: well i'm glad no one here is having a censorship fit that megaupload is down, but the rest of the world's (or maybe just its loudest and lulziest) position that this is an example of evil gov censorship has me befuddled.

Makes me think that I should point out that this is a terrible thing and shows the US government doesnt really need to pass laws to make action. It happenned a day after SOPA was meant to pass, and when it didnt, congress was like, eeeh, do we still take it down or noy... well fuck it let's do it anyways.

It's a shame and there was no good reason to close this website, it is a file sharing site, most of it's traffic came from legal file sharing like game mods, hard drive backups etc.

Some people used it for piracy but THEY should be prosecuted, not the owners of the website. it would be like closing google or youtube because there is copyrighted material on it. It's ridiculous.

All because of the entertainment and media industry which is outdated and too scared of this new paradigm we are entering in. Instead of trying to evolve they are hiding in their shells and shooting wildly outside trying to destroy what they cannot control. All because of their greed.

If you want people to buy what you sell, make it good and easy to acquire. Simple.

Look at online platforms like Steam, they sell an incredible number of games, even old ones that cxouldn't be sold in stores (because of the limit of physical copies a store can own). Games can be pirated online, yet steam works amazingly well.

People shouldn't pirate copyrighted material online, and a bunch of them do it because they can, but namy, when offered the opportunity to pay, if it's easy to access will gladly pay up and support what they like.

What people need to understand is that they cannot stop piracy, you cannot prevent people from doing what they want, look at the prohibition and the utter failure of the drug war. Strategies such as these simply do not work.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-24 19:04:52 Reply

At 1/24/12 04:02 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: It's a shame and there was no good reason to close this website, it is a file sharing site, most of it's traffic came from legal file sharing like game mods, hard drive backups etc.
Some people used it for piracy but THEY should be prosecuted, not the owners of the website. it would be like closing google or youtube because there is copyrighted material on it. It's ridiculous.

Actually much of its traffic came from people posting and people downloading pirated material. Megaupload knew this, and profited heavily off of it. That right there means the site was just as guilty as the posters.

Have any of you ever though that maybe some of these sites should take responsibility for themselves (like Youtube, NG, and Google do) and just police their own shit? If the site is truly legit, it will have motive to do that. When site do not (or at least make zero efforts) it indicates that they snaction, approve, and encourage the pirating that is likely occuring therein.

Kiler-Tofu
Kiler-Tofu
  • Member since: May. 31, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-26 07:07:55 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla yer_embedded&v=N8Xg_C2YmG0#!

Well it just got worse...

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! 2012-01-26 09:25:02 Reply

At 1/26/12 07:07 AM, Kiler-Tofu wrote: Well it just got worse...

For those of us who aren't able to access youtube 24 hours a day, and those of us who realize youtube is just as good a news source or primary source as my foot, please post your thoughts in writing.