Be a Supporter!

Stop this Act now!

  • 8,057 Views
  • 188 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 03:30 PM Reply

I saw the video on it, and I am glad to be more informed of what's going on. This thing has really been showing up everywhere since then. I went to ThatGuyWithTheGlasses and watched a video where the Nostalgia Critic said he'd give a Top 11 list for why he wouldn't review Digimon. I noticed the clip was only 32 seconds long. I thought it was an April Fool's joke (don't know how) but then it told about this, I believe.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 21st, 2011 @ 04:12 PM Reply

At 11/21/11 11:01 AM, altanese-mistress wrote: BUT! I highly doubt that just a handful of sites like ThePirateBay will be blocked. There are bound to be a few legitimate sites.

That's how every civil issue works. There are numerous protections for this.

Even then, this starts a slippery slope.

Ah, yes. The slippery slope. The strongest argument known to man.

What about other websites, like the kind that talk about bomb making or drug making? Sounds good, why NOT block those out?

This is already settled law in a completely diffferent arena.

Okay, then what about proxy sites? Well why not? Then why not certain kinds of pornography sites too,

This is already settled law in a completely different arena.

or how about websites run by hate groups such as the Ku Klux Klan? Or the Nazi Party of America? Wait- That's a political party. Well, they're a bad political party, so the bad political parties need to go too.

This is already settled law in a completely different arena.

You are mixing criminal law with civil speech with Intellectual property. These laws are all completely different and all have decades, if not centuries, of case law and statutes dictating how these are handled. You can feel safer, because none of these forms of speech are going away (save for some segments of the how to make drugs/bombs section that are directly criminal). You are in esseence trying to apply rules of boats and cars to airplanes because htye all go forward. Well, guess what? Their respective universes and methods for working as fundamentally different.

Come on people! Learn about the subject before you take it upon yourselves to criticize it. (Does anybody ever wonder why I don't trust the masses?)

TNT
TNT
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 22nd, 2011 @ 01:59 PM Reply

Good news gentlemen.


Latest song cover: Rock Is Dead.
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 02:50 AM Reply

At 11/21/11 04:12 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Rope a dope pope bope nope.

I like how your argument basically boils down to "no, see, that's a civil matter" and repeating the same thing over and over again.


"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
EoD696
EoD696
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 06:57 AM Reply

At 11/20/11 03:02 AM, VenomKing666 wrote:
At 11/17/11 03:54 AM, EoD696 wrote: Quite honestly, I'd be willing to bet online piracy is a significant part of the reason the American economy is tanked.
You would "be willing to bet" and lose because there is no evidence suggesting it did.

Ahem... while not as big as I would like to make it seem, it's still significant. "the 'value-added' to the U.S.
economy by the core copyright industries reached $626.2 billion or 6% of the U.S. economy in 2002." When talking about macroeconomics, and looking at a $14tril. deficit, I think we're wise to save wherever we can...


...sure the disc industry is losing money, but it's only because nobody needs them, now you can buy songs on iTunes for 99 cents while before you had to pay 15 bucks for a piece of plastic, technology evolved it's what you call a paradigm shift, they should just stop trying to condemn piracy and reword their buisness model to be attractive again to new customers.

The reason iTunes succeeds is because people have been stealing songs from the internet since Napster (1999). No one would even think of it as a possibility if not for the innovations net piracy introduced in the first place.

It would be great to have numbers on this before speculating on the impact it had, of course they most likely lost some money, but I don't think it put them in any danger, they are still here after all. it also gives us more freedom as customers. It's not true to say people will always pirate everything, they will support you if you provide good service. Thinking of videogames I see lots of people pirating a game and then really loving it, then buy the game to give support to the industry. But that's a whole other debate.

For the numbers, check the link above.

Wow...welcome to the utopian mindset, thanks to socialist-political-theory cementing itself in academe. I wish I could believe the majority of people in the world are willing to drop cash on something they can get for free...but I just don't see it. Doesn't make alot of sense when you apply...oh, whats it called...logic?

This act is terrible because it shits on everybody's freedom of speech and greatly hinder the internet which has revolutionized communications and keeps growing, blocking it is a giant step backwards.

Agreed, as unfortunate as that may be. I think a revision is in order here...but an act regarding piracy ought be passed IMO. Legislation ought govern intellectual property on the net. To ignore that necessity is naive and foolish. And as each country begins to start doing it (as many have) it seems equally naive and foolish for the US to stand on the sidelines and wait for other legislatures to shape the net for us.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 11:42 AM Reply

able to block sites without a court hearing or a trial... this isn't even a slippery slope fallacy anymore, its just fact that you are giving the government the power to do unconstitutional acts of censorship. Then again even if they did get a court hearing someone could always just bribe or black mail people to make the case go their way. (and get away with it)


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 11/26/11 11:42 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote: able to block sites without a court hearing or a trial...

I posted the bill. Show me the exact language that says it can be done without a hearing or a trial.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 11/26/11 02:50 AM, homor wrote: I like how your argument basically boils down to "no, see, that's a civil matter" and repeating the same thing over and over again.

No. My argument boils down to "your claims are all baseless and have zero foundation in this bill or any existing law".

No one has even tried to say otherwise. Post statutes and case law, not youtube.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 08:57 AM Reply

It this bill isn't bad then why have well over a million people signed a petition, tons of internet companies including Google and Microsoft, freedom protection groups like EFF and Demand Progress, and several celebrities and politicians are OPPOSING IT because of the damage it will cause? In fact Ron Wyden is threatening to filibuster it, including a part where he reads the names of so far over a hundred thousand people who are against it and signed something on DP to get their name read.

It's a pile of shit and so is anybody who supports it.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
djack
djack
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 09:17 AM Reply

At 12/2/11 08:57 AM, wildfire4461 wrote: If this bill isn't bad then why have well over a million people signed a petition.

That answer should be obvious. Most people are idiots who see something like this thread and never bother to actually research the bill but instead sign the petition as soon as possible. It's the same reason "green" people with sign anything that a person claims is supported by Al Gore and that sites like this say things like "This bill could pass today" just to increase the sense of urgency people feel and encourage them to sign petitions against things they know nothing about. If you really believe this bill is evil I'm guessing you're also opposed to the dumping of dihydrogen monoxide (it's water in case you weren't able to figure that out).

Flashchildren
Flashchildren
  • Member since: Nov. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 09:27 AM Reply

... You see nothing wrong with letting the government shut down sites as they please? There's definitely a problem here, but not quite the one in your head.

djack
djack
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 09:56 AM Reply

At 12/2/11 09:27 AM, Flashchildren wrote: ... You see nothing wrong with letting the government shut down sites as they please? There's definitely a problem here, but not quite the one in your head.

Thank you for proving that idiots don't actually research the bill they just follow what they hear on the internet.

Thecrazyman
Thecrazyman
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Gamer
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 09:19 AM Reply

At 11/17/11 01:04 AM, cjsnow1 wrote: Stop Online Piracy Act

Think this'll affect Newgrounds in any way? More specifically the AP seeing as I'm sure quite a few Hip Hop producers are sampling (me included).

IMO I think it's a load of horse shit. Same with ACTA. >:(

If this gets approved, this alone will prove how really childish the political parties have become, thus bringing the reason why the Independents are on the rise to power.

America is the Land of the Free as well as the Land of the Spiritual, not the Land of the Enslaved for the people who don't realize it will realize it the easy way or the hard way, on the personal scale, I only hope some people realize this the easy way.

Some of those people within the Republican Party and the Democrart Party might as well consider the idea of defaulting to become Independents for in turn all who read this will one day see another Independent become elected President of the United States since George Washington, won't be in 2012 but it will be in 2020.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 9th, 2011 @ 12:56 AM Reply

If you want an example of what this bill is about, read this incident that already happened:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/2011120 8/08225217010/breaking-news-feds-falsely -censor-popular-blog-over-year-deny-all-
due-process-hide-all-details.shtml


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
joe9320
joe9320
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 9th, 2011 @ 06:30 AM Reply

The US always speak out about censorship in other countries. Let them not become hypocrites! Please, America, prevent yourself from being censored!


I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 9th, 2011 @ 11:33 AM Reply

At 12/9/11 06:30 AM, joe9320 wrote: The US always speak out about censorship in other countries. Let them not become hypocrites! Please, America, prevent yourself from being censored!

Actually the US has been the single largest and loudest voice against piracy around the world.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 9th, 2011 @ 11:36 AM Reply

At 12/9/11 12:56 AM, wildfire4461 wrote: If you want an example of what this bill is about, read this incident that already happened:

If this stuff already happens then how is this bill going to change anything? How bout the proposition that setting boundaries, even wide ones is better than no boundaries at all?

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 9th, 2011 @ 08:12 PM Reply

Just found this quote on DP's Facebook page:

Former Senator Chris Dodd, now head of the Motion Picture Association, just admitted that he's pushing a censorship regime just like China's
Then the prick can move to China.

And check out this song:
http://vimeo.com/33425604
A song Defending Megaupload (which no doubt would get closed down by this bill) by P Diddy, Will.i.am, Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Chris Brown, The Game, Mary J Blige , Kim Kardashian, Floyd Mayweather, and Jamie Foxx.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
joe9320
joe9320
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 04:16 AM Reply

At 12/9/11 11:33 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 12/9/11 06:30 AM, joe9320 wrote: The US always speak out about censorship in other countries. Let them not become hypocrites! Please, America, prevent yourself from being censored!
Actually the US has been the single largest and loudest voice against piracy around the world.

Yet they speak out against censorship. There should be a balance between the two. Back a while ago, Australia attempted to censor the internet.


I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 04:33 AM Reply

Nah, I think everybody should just be smart and invest in a good proxy.


[SevkittyBBS, join LOSER] - [I am not a crook] - [Add me on Steam: svkkt]

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 01:10 PM Reply

At 12/10/11 04:16 AM, joe9320 wrote: Yet they speak out against censorship. There should be a balance between the two. Back a while ago, Australia attempted to censor the internet.

The world isn't black and white. It's not an all or nothing place. We can advocate for free speech while still having and enforcing restrictions, such as libel, slander, and theft of ideas and speech.

You're making an odd logical jump. In tangible goods trms you'd be saying that when the government tries to stop shoplifting it's actually trying to discourage the purchasing of goods.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 12th, 2011 @ 06:30 PM Reply

Damn. Check out how the creator of Wikipedia wants to protest the bill:
http://torrentfreak.com/wikipedia-mulls-
total-blackout-to-oppose-sopa-111212/

THAT would get some attention.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 12th, 2011 @ 09:08 PM Reply

At 12/10/11 01:10 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 12/10/11 04:16 AM, joe9320 wrote: Yet they speak out against censorship. There should be a balance between the two. Back a while ago, Australia attempted to censor the internet.
The world isn't black and white. It's not an all or nothing place. We can advocate for free speech while still having and enforcing restrictions, such as libel, slander, and theft of ideas and speech.

You're making an odd logical jump. In tangible goods trms you'd be saying that when the government tries to stop shoplifting it's actually trying to discourage the purchasing of goods.

remember, the Australian government down played everyone's fears of the censorship before it happened as well. They said they would only block sites with illegal content, in the same manner supporters of S.O.P.A are. The problem is that we shouldn't be forced to trust the government on this issue, especially after what happened the last time people were forced to trust their government. Enough people are saying no to at least call for a referendum. This bill is shady, and there are a lot of sites out there that could fall victim to it what with how fast and far copyright infringing you tube videos can be spread.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 12th, 2011 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 12/12/11 09:08 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote: remember, the Australian government down played everyone's fears of the censorship before it happened as well. They said they would only block sites with illegal content, in the same manner supporters of S.O.P.A are.

If you're going to make this comparison, finish it. You claimthe Australian law is like and was bad, how?

The problem is that we shouldn't be forced to trust the government on this issue, especially after what happened the last time people were forced to trust their government. Enough people are saying no to at least call for a referendum. This bill is shady, and there are a lot of sites out there that could fall victim to it what with how fast and far copyright infringing you tube videos can be spread.

I really don't see this Bill going anywhere near this far. Anyway, theft is theft. Just because it happens on the net doesn't make a crime any less of a crime.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 13th, 2011 @ 05:11 AM Reply

Remember that video Megaupload made I posted? They uploaded it to Youtube, and Universal is taking it down for copyright infringement WHEN THERE CLEARLY ISN'T. So Megaupload is now suing UMG over it, and is now voicing their opposition to SOPA.

Roast those corporate swine in a fire.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 13th, 2011 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 12/13/11 05:11 AM, wildfire4461 wrote: Remember that video Megaupload made I posted? They uploaded it to Youtube, and Universal is taking it down for copyright infringement WHEN THERE CLEARLY ISN'T. So Megaupload is now suing UMG over it, and is now voicing their opposition to SOPA.

Mega Upload is the exact sort of site ans system that SOPA targets. Sure some musicians like it. If they wish to give MU a free or dirt cheap license to share their files, good for them, but having Kanye, Foxx, and Will.I.Am support a websiet doesn't give people the right to trade Rascal Flats (sorry, they were on a CSI I watched yesterday), radiohead, Five Finger Death Punch, Boston, Chicago, Kansas, Alabama, Denver (and whatever geographically named musicians you can think of). Nor does their approval allow for the downloading of movies, even X-Men Origins (cause B level actors don't get copyrights in movies they star in).

Even if 10% of all of the copyright owners in the world approved the site, 90% of the copyrights, and likely cxlose to 90% of the files traded would still be pirated. This clearly fits within the definintion of a site whose primary purpoise is the selling of pirated material. We don't allow chop shops because their goods are stolen, why would this change just because the internet becomes the medium?

Please, SOMEBODY answer that question. Unless this question is answered, defense of internet piracy is disingenuous AT BEST.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 13th, 2011 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 12/13/11 12:09 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 12/13/11 05:11 AM, wildfire4461 wrote: Remember that video Megaupload made I posted? They uploaded it to Youtube, and Universal is taking it down for copyright infringement WHEN THERE CLEARLY ISN'T. So Megaupload is now suing UMG over it, and is now voicing their opposition to SOPA.
Mega Upload is the exact sort of site ans system that SOPA targets. Sure some musicians like it. If they wish to give MU a free or dirt cheap license to share their files, good for them, but having Kanye, Foxx, and Will.I.Am support a websiet doesn't give people the right to trade Rascal Flats (sorry, they were on a CSI I watched yesterday), radiohead, Five Finger Death Punch, Boston, Chicago, Kansas, Alabama, Denver (and whatever geographically named musicians you can think of). Nor does their approval allow for the downloading of movies, even X-Men Origins (cause B level actors don't get copyrights in movies they star in).

Even if 10% of all of the copyright owners in the world approved the site, 90% of the copyrights, and likely cxlose to 90% of the files traded would still be pirated. This clearly fits within the definintion of a site whose primary purpoise is the selling of pirated material. We don't allow chop shops because their goods are stolen, why would this change just because the internet becomes the medium?

Please, SOMEBODY answer that question. Unless this question is answered, defense of internet piracy is disingenuous AT BEST.

You completely missed the damn point of that post. I didn't say anything about what file sharing sites are used for. I mentioned what UMG was pulling on them. And nobody is defending piracy.
Since you brought it up though: File sharing sites are NOT illegal. It's what some people upload that is. Many small time musicians and software companies use it. But these big companies don't give a rats ass. Besides, by killing them they can force musicians to sign with them if they want to get their album out there, and it would make it very hard for small software companies to sell their programs, much to the delight of major software companies.

And learn to spell.


That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 13th, 2011 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 12/13/11 07:07 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: You completely missed the damn point of that post. I didn't say anything about what file sharing sites are used for. I mentioned what UMG was pulling on them. And nobody is defending piracy.

You're mad at UGM for attempting to shut down a site whose profit was largely derived from the piracy it facilitates.

Since you brought it up though: File sharing sites are NOT illegal. It's what some people upload that is. Many small time musicians and software companies use it. But these big companies don't give a rats ass. Besides, by killing them they can force musicians to sign with them if they want to get their album out there, and it would make it very hard for small software companies to sell their programs, much to the delight of major software companies.

How do you think Mega Upload makes money? Ads? Subscriptions? What are those driven by? Traffic. What brings traffic to file sharing sites? Pirated materials. Mega Upload knows this. They profit off of the pirated files. Not only that, they rely upon the pirated files to drive the traffic needed to get their income.

Anyway this is NOT about corporations wanting to funnel all of the artists through them. That's flat out stupid and shows a 1975 understanding of the net. Internet sites are cheap, and there are easy places to post private music for free that have a ton of traffic (Youtube, anyone?).

The biggest thing is that companies like Universal already have the power to shut down sites that are solely, or largely dedicated to pirating or facilitating piracy. Those methods are pretty dang easy and usually involve an ex parte TRO hearing.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 13th, 2011 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 12/12/11 11:28 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
If you're going to make this comparison, finish it. You claimthe Australian law is like and was bad, how?

they used their bill to block sites that were not in violation of the law. they also blocked certain genres of porn and dentists. Other sites that were blocked include Wikileaks, 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica.

source: wikileaks.


I really don't see this Bill going anywhere near this far. Anyway, theft is theft. Just because it happens on the net doesn't make a crime any less of a crime.

nobody likes theft, I don't like it either, but my concern, as well as everyone else who sides with me, is for the law abiding sites that are at risk of collateral damage. see above.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Stop this Act now! Dec. 13th, 2011 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 12/13/11 08:16 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote: they used their bill to block sites that were not in violation of the law. they also blocked certain genres of porn and dentists. Other sites that were blocked include Wikileaks, 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica.

source: wikileaks.

Got any better sources? I'm not exactly going to trust a site who was allegedly a target of said bill, much less one that has made its goal nothing less than an all out assault on the governments of the developed world.

nobody likes theft, I don't like it either, but my concern, as well as everyone else who sides with me, is for the law abiding sites that are at risk of collateral damage. see above.

This is definitely a valid concern, and something I would definitely like to ensure doesn't happen. However, the overarching tone of this debate has been that all internet censorship at all is bad. It seems as if these groups are asking for an all or none approach leaning heavily toward the none.