XsakuX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 14:35:14 Reply

At 11/14/11 09:15 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 11/14/11 07:27 AM, adsubzero wrote:
At 11/14/11 01:59 AM, XsakuX wrote: Woah dude all three of my songs made it AND got 10/10!?

Thank you so much Fatkid; it's a serious honor to be a part of this CD :D
Wait, wasn't it said that only one song per artist is allowed?

Also, FKWAJP why did you delete some of the wip's and some not?
We mentioned somewhere in the thread that we'd take more than one track. If someone has the ability to produce more than one track, then there is no reason we should stop them. This guy pretty much blew us all away and we agreed the cd certainly could use his tracks. If you notice, we have "34" winner instead of "30". no winners were taken away. Next year, however, we will only allow one per user.

Thanks again Fatkid (and all the other judges) for your votes/ positive feedback *^^*.
This experience is completely surreal to me, and I'm beyond honored to hear so many good things about my submissions. :']

You guys are too kind ^_^

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 17:29:13 Reply

At 11/14/11 08:33 AM, KKSlider60 wrote:
This is starting to amuse me, in a wicked way.
There's no "amateur", and there's no "professional". It's just sound waves mixed together, no matter how they're mixed. I think scores just make people confuse even more, since any given value cannot mean the same thing when applied to another context. Back to our topic though, you could have at least tried to be more diplomatic, while giving some tips on how to improve a specific part of a track and being a little more helpful. That's your opinion, sure, but think about the consequences of your actions next time, instead of stomping people's efforts like you did for no reason.

The End.

Why have audio engineers always existed then?

The good ol "you cant really judge music" argument.

Always gives a good chuckle.

Now the "you cant judge a mix argument", that is just hilarious.

Some people need a swift kick in the butt, i supplied it. And the OP whined and criticized this generous, cool, and well-run contest and left, I couldnt respond in a "kinder" way if i wanted to. He didnt deserve a kinder response in any way.

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 17:41:45 Reply

At 11/14/11 02:09 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Holyshit massive lots of stuff

Thank you, this is exactly what needed to be said. Furthermore, I think this issue has been distracting us from discussing more important things, like what charity we want to donate to. I politely submit that we take this as a final comment on the matter, shut the f*ck up about it, and move on.

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 17:50:37 Reply

Agreed.

Let's go ahead and go over he next issues over in the discussion thread:

- Album art for the three final albums.

- Should we get someone to master the tracks or
should users do it themselves?

- Is it cool if I mix the previews to be submitted to NG? (I'm a DJ so I've got
some experience)

- Any idea on how I can print these shirts for really cheap lol. I can't afford to give 34 shirts away D:

- CHARITY DAMMIT

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 18:11:08 Reply

At 11/14/11 05:50 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: - Should we get someone to master the tracks or

I think we'll need to do at least a little mastering done all by one person, at the very least to make each album have a consistent volume from track to track, so you don't have to fiddle with your volume knob or have your ear drums burst every time you switch tracks while listening.

some experience)

I'd be totally ok with this, in fact I would be willing to post an album preview to my soundcloud, if you make one, to advertise it to my 3600+ followers. Provided that's cool with you.

- Any idea on how I can print these shirts for really cheap lol. I can't afford to give 34 shirts away D:

I'm not sure they do custom prints, and if they do they probably won't be just six dollars... I'd check that, except I'm on my phone atm. Anyways, check out 6dollarshirts. Chances are you'll at least get a discount for an order that size. Also, I know I'd be willing to pay for a shirt either way, and I'm probably not the only one.

- CHARITY DAMMIT

I suggested a bunch of good ones a while back, I'll repost them for consideration once I get home.

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 19:12:37 Reply

Next time I wont stick up for this contest when someone is making ridiculous assertions against it. People over-read intentions so much, its the reason i don't enjoy writing anything mildly important on the internet.

That said,

BMI (bad-man-incorporated), Mrmilkarton, and another couple people on here master tracks for free i believe.
Asking one to handle a CD each could be possible, but its a lot of volunteer work on the engineer's part. Not to mention i doubt many people in this contest know how to prepare a track for an engineer. Paying for an engineer unless he agrees to some discount rate seems rather out of question. Starting a kick starter to raise funds for mastering would be a nice try.

NG Mix sounds cool.

Who needs another shirt, CDs for charity anyways.

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 19:58:41 Reply

ajfdk I'm feeling too lazy to write something new out for this list, so I'm just copy-pasting this from back when I posted the list originally:

Right off, I don't think that it should be a charity that's local to anywhere in particular - i.e. it would be more appropriate to choose a charity that focuses on international work, since the participants of this project are from all over the place. Personally, I'm from Canada, and there are a lot of good international charities I hear about all the time simply because they're based in Canada. Some good examples would be:

UNICEF
OXFAM
Amnesty
Borderless World Volunteers
Feed The Children
CANFAR
Street Kids

I'm not saying we should just choose from Canadian-based charities, just that the charities we choose should be aimed at making a difference on a more global scale, like in the examples I gave above.

Also, it would be a good idea to consider donating to multiple charities, rather than just one. Although I assume this has already occurred to many of you.

BBS Signature
poopr1221
poopr1221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 20:42:18 Reply

What about something like Child's Play? or maybe even a MUSIC related charity. I KNOW they exist.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 21:00:28 Reply

I like the idea of UNICEF...

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 22:37:18 Reply

At 11/14/11 09:00 PM, samulis wrote: I like the idea of UNICEF...

I wouldn't give a cent to anything public -_-

But im not too knowledgeable in charities either way.

XsakuX
XsakuX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 00:03:40 Reply

At 11/14/11 05:50 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: - Is it cool if I mix the previews to be submitted to NG? (I'm a DJ so I've got
some experience)

Sure dude that would be way cool! :D

XsakuX
XsakuX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 00:07:27 Reply

what about the Gibsonfoundation?

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 03:47:59 Reply

At 11/14/11 05:50 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: - Album art for the three final albums.

Agh. Too bad I can't collaborate, I kinda suck at cover art.

- Should we get someone to master the tracks or

I think it's better that one person does the mastering for all the 34 tracks. Each of us has a different experience in mastering.

some experience)

Sure, why not. It'll give a general idea to the public.

Crap. Uuuh...

- CHARITY DAMMIT

Now that's the problem. Is there any kind of emergency we could give support right now?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 03:49:56 Reply

At 11/14/11 05:29 PM, jpbear wrote:
At 11/14/11 08:33 AM, KKSlider60 wrote:
Stuff.
Why have audio engineers always existed then?

The good ol "you cant really judge music" argument.

Always gives a good chuckle.

Now the "you cant judge a mix argument", that is just hilarious.

Some people need a swift kick in the butt, i supplied it. And the OP whined and criticized this generous, cool, and well-run contest and left, I couldnt respond in a "kinder" way if i wanted to. He didnt deserve a kinder response in any way.

Excuse me now, I'm not a 'he', I'm a 'she'. And read my wall of text, and stop whining, prig. Way to have your sensitivity hurt? Other people have sensitivities too, thank you very much.

AMDG ✝ NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 03:51:17 Reply

At 11/14/11 10:37 PM, jpbear wrote:
At 11/14/11 09:00 PM, samulis wrote: I like the idea of UNICEF...
I wouldn't give a cent to anything public -_-

But im not too knowledgeable in charities either way.

Actually, that could be true. We sometimes wonder, if we were to give our money to UNICEF, where the money actually goes. And no one's brought up the issue of accountability yet, so it can be a bit dodgy.

BBS Signature
DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 06:14:50 Reply

Am I the only one who actually talked about music (what this thread is meant for)?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 06:24:08 Reply

At 11/15/11 06:14 AM, adsubzero wrote: Am I the only one who actually talked about music (what this thread is meant for)?

No, in my wall of text FatKid and I actually underlined what the thread was for, but someone just kept on bringing down the people who did not get through, and I naturally got angry.

BBS Signature
DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 07:58:50 Reply

At 11/15/11 06:24 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
but someone just kept on bringing down the people who did not get through, and I naturally got angry.

That's what I'm talking about, was that really necessary people?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 08:19:42 Reply

At 11/15/11 07:58 AM, adsubzero wrote:
At 11/15/11 06:24 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
but someone just kept on bringing down the people who did not get through, and I naturally got angry.
That's what I'm talking about, was that really necessary people?

TBH, I wish it really didn't begin, to begin with. The remark which sparked this was uncalled for, and there was this self-justification going on. I am honestly fed up. FatKid, KKSlider AND I have already did everything we could to reason about this.

BBS Signature
KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 08:25:49 Reply

At 11/15/11 08:19 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: TBH, I wish it really didn't begin, to begin with. The remark which sparked this was uncalled for, and there was this self-justification going on. I am honestly fed up. FatKid, KKSlider AND I have already did everything we could to reason about this.

Fair enough. Let's bring once again the topic of this thread, as it was intended to be.
We'll ask the collaboration of the moderators to keep this polite and free from unnecessary comments or trolling attempts, and I ask you (as the community) to ignore such comments. From now on, we'll continue to discuss about charity and all the points explicated by FatKid.
Thank you.

Kr1z
Kr1z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 09:25:23 Reply

TLDR;

But I'd like to congratulate all participants for their hard work, and offcourse, Nick for organizing all this!
Well done folks =D

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 10:58:49 Reply

TAKE ALL DISCUSSION RELATED TO THIS ARGUMENT TO THE PM
SYSTEM PLEASE.

I want to go ahead and use this thread for discussion so no one gets confused about weither or not the contest portion of this has ended. This will also allow a fresh thread that will allow us to keep organized. That discussion thread is pretty much done. I'll make a post on the new page of that thread that we are moving to this thread and lock the other one.

So... yes keep discussing the charity, t shirts, album art, etc.

ALSO I want to make sure everyone understands there are THREE albums now since there weren't enough heartwarming submissions. We are putting all heartwarming into the chill album and giving a bit of a classical design as well.

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 16:36:12 Reply

At 11/15/11 10:58 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: TAKE ALL DISCUSSION RELATED TO THIS ARGUMENT TO THE PM
SYSTEM PLEASE.

I want to go ahead and use this thread for discussion so no one gets confused about weither or not the contest portion of this has ended. This will also allow a fresh thread that will allow us to keep organized. That discussion thread is pretty much done. I'll make a post on the new page of that thread that we are moving to this thread and lock the other one.

So... yes keep discussing the charity, t shirts, album art, etc.

ALSO I want to make sure everyone understands there are THREE albums now since there weren't enough heartwarming submissions. We are putting all heartwarming into the chill album and giving a bit of a classical design as well.

Definitely.
A new thread that provides brief but substantial information would be nice, since we already got the results and the new points to discuss about. I'll look forward to that.
If you need further help with anything just ask. ;)

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 17:44:25 Reply

:At 11/12/11 09:42 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

Those biases DO exist that I've chosen to stop entering. It's no one's fault specifically, but I just feel that this environment isn't suited for me.
There are many contests here where, as you have said, Biases do exist... but that's because many of the contests on here are generated by its users on a volunteer basis. We aren't trained professionals or anything... Rest of stuff

Once again, I'm NOT blaming you or any of the judges for bad judgement... I do think that the song does need improvement... but at the same time (as I've explicitly stated before), I create song that are different and therefore leaves me at a great disadvantage. I've been at this site long enough to know that these kinds of biases exist towards certain genres, and so it's my choice to stop entering.

(This opinion comes from multiple contest, not just this one)

Even though I can't be sure what length you might go through to pick out unbiased judges, there will be people who are biased, and I can state that because of the transparency of the judgement process. When judges are able to make calls about songs without having their identity called into question, they're able to assert their biases without having to answer to the people that they made. You clearly are able to get away from this assertion because you told us your opinion on our song, but why should I trust the other judges?

And that's the choice I'm allowed to have by this judgement process.

But alas, all I was stating is that I'm done with competitions... It wasn't suppose to get out of hand like it has been, but I guess I should have been more careful with my comment (I'll admit it was pretty vague from other people's perspective).

At 11/12/11 06:33 PM, jpbear wrote: there were to many submissions to review, that fatkid took the time to review what he did is seriously a really kind act.

Im a harsh guy on the internet so ill say this flat out: your submission clearly did not deserve to pass through.

Have a nice day.

Oh this is fun lol... I love people who do this...

Firstly... I could care less.

Secondly... I could say all your song deserve a 0, but seeing as though it's just an OPINION, it really doesn't matter what I think does it? (Goes along with my first point).

Thirdly (and this goes along with my main point)... who are you to say that my song deserve to pass or not? It's this kind of bias that makes upcoming artist feel as though they have no chance at this site, even though your opinion weighs as much as some random person ranting on a street somewhere in Antarctica... (I guess it still goes along with the first point).

Alright, I'm done... if anyone else wants to talk about this, just pm me and I'm willing to fight it out for months if I have to.

Akaliko
Akaliko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 18:36:21 Reply

At 11/12/11 07:24 AM, FatFaggotWitABowlCut wrote:

The sounds used seem to be preset sounds, if they arent pelase let me know, and therefore are far to generic to enjoy all that much.

No presets, PM sent and hope to hear back from you shortly. Thank you for taking the time to personally review each track.

ThermalLaser
ThermalLaser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-15 20:21:24 Reply

Yeah!
Yo, thanks fatkid and Judges for this opportunity! I had lots of fun and feel real delicious about making music for a good cause rather than my usual greedy/self-centered desires! lol! But, seriously we should donate the profits to an organization such as the National Association for Music Education!

I feel pretty confident that most of us as musicians didn't just decide randomly that we wanted to put a great number of hours, weeks, years into the studying and creating of music. We had someone or something inspire us to go beyond the point of mere interest in music. Inspiration that made us Architects of sound!

I credit my many years playing the alto saxophone in a naval marching band followed by a year of music theory as my inspiration to make the shit I share today... Thanks music education!
Okay, so the original point..... I think we should donate to the National Association for Music Education!

Thermal Laser,
Peace

Ng Cd 2011 Project Results!

Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-16 00:38:59 Reply

Nice to see that as soon as the results are revealed, people start arguing and complaining. It's good to know we can all be good sports about it all.

As far as charities go, if we can't reach a decision maybe we should just put all the candidates in a hat and pull one out randomly (only as a last resort if no one can decide, I mean.)

bork bork bork

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-16 01:48:29 Reply

I say we give it all to something music related. It only makes sense, since we didn't really do this with a cause or anything.

By the way, do we have any sort of deadline for when this should all be ready to go? And coincidentally, get in the store? It'd be nice to be able to order some copies as Christmas gifts...

--NG Music -- Soundcloud-- Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-16 02:54:05 Reply

At 11/16/11 02:48 AM, Travis wrote: Kris and Spacewhale.

Since you guys are my friends. Congrats to both of you!

Everyone else, congrats as well.

Great work everyone.

lul who's this kris that you speak of?

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-16 03:15:27 Reply

Oh shit... What have I done. I did not mean to type "Kogey" as a winner. I meant to type "Subliminalvids"... the two names were right next to each other and somehow I completely missed it and got Kogey instead.

Kogey, this is completely my fault D: SORRY. *in my defense it was 6am in the morning...*

As an apology I will give you a free T-Shirt with the other winners. :)

I FAIL