• 18 Replies
BandSreviews
BandSreviews
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:12:07

Basically what is happening is congress has in June approved a bill called PROTECT IP. Because of this PROTECT IP law, it becomes a felony to record yourself singing copyrighted songs and uploading them to Youtube. As some of you know already, there are many artists and record companies that actively pull video with their copyrighted music used in them on YouTube. Prince is one artist from my understanding that is very supper active in remove anything on YouTube with his song it in. Even when it is a small child just dancing to his music that is way in the background on the video. Now it appears these record companies and artists could seek legal action once this law become fully in effect. To add to this the media has been calling this law the Justin Bieber Law. Why? Well, if you didn't know Justin Bieber made himself famous by singing copyrighted songs on YouTube. What I have read too is now even Justin Bieber appears he could get up to 5 years in jail if this law becomes into effect. Apparently there are group started now trying to fight for the Bieber too.

For more information just type in Justin Bieber Law or PROTECT IP Law into your internet search bar and then click search.

I am kind of interested in reading peoples' thoughts and comments on this...

Michaely385
Michaely385
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:16:00

PROTECT IP Law?
Justin Bieber will get 5 years in prison if that happens?

Wow, what a great BBS thread that will talk about things about the law for copyrighted songs.
That's a great sound.

I hope that happens to him?

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:21:37

I bought the music with my money, I think I'm pretty much free to make all the shitty Music videos and cover videos on youtube I please.

Request Reviews // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
BobsBurgers2011
BobsBurgers2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:21:43

At 11/5/11 10:18 AM, dread2760 wrote:
At 11/5/11 10:16 AM, Michaely385 wrote: I hope that happens to him?
But why? What has he done to you? That's like you enjoying life and making money while doing it, then going to prison. You're mean.

Oh My God! It's a Justin Bieber Fan! KILL IT! KILL IT!

BBS Signature
Rivergrey
Rivergrey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:22:30

This isn't the newest news. We've had a few threads regarding this and similar potential bills already. However, I believe that this is the first thread that actually mentions one got passed.

This will obviously suck for singers. They will need to obtain the permission from the original copyright holders through either purchase - social capitalism exhibiting its flaws again - or just politely ask if the copyright holder allows that. Independent labels came to mind for those who really do want to sing covers and not have to pay anything.

My question to you is: Does this law apply for instrumental covers as well? If not, I could care less. Most music is better without the shitty lead singer wailing his or her ass off anyways.

furry
filler

BBS Signature
BandSreviews
BandSreviews
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:34:30

I'll have to dig deeper to find out more on what you have asked. I wanted people here on Newgrounds to hear about this after a friend mentioned it during a short comical discussion on Justin Bieber possibly being a Daddy. Apparently from what I heard, read online and on the radio that women has come forth claiming she just had Justin Bieber's child.

crazyScott
crazyScott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:38:58

As funny as it would be to see this tween-pop-icon behind bars, this law is total bullshit.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:43:11

At 11/5/11 10:21 AM, SCTE3 wrote: I bought the music with my money, I think I'm pretty much free to make all the shitty Music videos and cover videos on youtube I please.

That's like saying that because you paid a few dollars for a song, you are free to do whatever you wish with it, including claiming it as your own and selling it for profit. It doesn't work that way.

CorpseGrinderClock
CorpseGrinderClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Animator
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:52:34

Everyone who actually looked this up and read the relevant information on the subject before assuming it to be true raise your hand

raises hand

Here is the actual bill. It's not particularly long, bear in mind that a good amount of it is struck out because it's still being wanged on with a monkey wrench by our politicians and their army of lawyers until it's something they can agree on.

Now let me make this clear, in my reading of the bill (yes, I read the actual bill for this thread) there is no indication whatsoever that it has any application to individual patrons of a website such as Newgrounds or YouTube submitters. The bill is extremely explicit in that it targets, and I quote:

An Internet site that-
(A)
has no significant use other than engaging in, enabling, or facilitating the-
(i) reproduction, distribution, or public performance of copyrighted works, in complete or substantially complete form, in a manner that constitutes copyright infringement under section 501 of title 17, United States Code;
(ii) violation of section 1201 of title 17, United States Code; or
(iii) sale, distribution, or promotion of goods, services, or materials bearing a counterfeit mark, as that term is defined in section 34(d) of the Lanham Act; or
(B) is designed, operated, or marketed by its operator or persons operating in concert with the operator, and facts or circumstances suggest is used, primarily as a means for engaging in, ena3
bling, or facilitating the activities described under clauses (i), (ii), or (iii) of subparagraph 5 (A);

It's basically more designed to go after sites like Piratebay, and it really has very little bearing on places like YouTube or NG except to the point that if the owners of either site were to willfully fail to ignore issues of copyright infringement they could be held liable.

The users themselves are not subject to any new copyright laws.

At 12/16/11 12:04 AM, Luis wrote:
: i like all the masturbation threads i know more about myself than i ever would if it wasnt for newgrounds.

Rivergrey
Rivergrey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:54:31

At 11/5/11 10:43 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: That's like saying that because you paid a few dollars for a song, you are free to do whatever you wish with it, including claiming it as your own and selling it for profit. It doesn't work that way.

No it's not. When you pay for the rights to remix something or make a cover you often still need approval from the artist/ copyright owner /independent label in conjunction with that when you're done with it. Once you get the go that you can publicize it and make money you're nearly entirely off the hook.

And holy shit at CorpseGrinders post, although I can't decipher the precise meaning he stated out of the overly-complicated document directly. o_o

furry
filler

BBS Signature
kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 10:56:26

At 11/5/11 10:38 AM, crazyScott wrote: As funny as it would be to see this tween-pop-icon behind bars, this law is total bullshit.

this

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 12:38:10

What?! Two thirds of the most favorited and liked videos on YouTube are music videos! We're going to lose half of the entire freaking website! How can they do that if the people who write the songs are the ones who own it? If revenue is something they get, then isn't that left up to them? Then again, I heard Michael Moore doesn't care about his movies being viewed online, and I saw his "Sicko" disappear on Video.Google.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

zag
zag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 13:57:42

even if this bill did pass, and did what everyone thinks it's going to do, Justin Bieber would not go to prison u.u
his recordings were made before the law was put into action. therefore, he would have broken no laws.

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 14:22:00

You can't be serious. No, that like violates their own laws... doesn't it??

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Skaren
Skaren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 14:25:34

I hope that little asshole goes to jail. He's a damn tool.

Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 14:26:42

Bullshit law. Sphrigx forbid its passing.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Justin Bieber law. Have you heard? 2011-11-05 14:32:20

At 11/5/11 10:52 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote:

Now let me make this clear, in my reading of the bill (yes, I read the actual bill for this thread) there is no indication whatsoever that it has any application to individual patrons of a website such as Newgrounds or YouTube submitters. The bill is extremely explicit in that it targets, and I quote:

It's basically more designed to go after sites like Piratebay, and it really has very little bearing on places like YouTube or NG except to the point that if the owners of either site were to willfully fail to ignore issues of copyright infringement they could be held liable.

Did everyone just ignore this entire post? Honestly...you people.

EDIT: damn you NG and you "post is 80% quote" messages!