00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mishirozen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why be obsessed about Sonic?

5,053 Views | 68 Replies

Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 07:02:43

I met some really strange people both in real life and the internet that just swoon over Sonic the Hedgehog. You might refer to these individuals as "Sonic Fanboys/Fangirls". People who draw Sonic fanart and make their own Mary Sues about Sonic. And what's creepier is that a lot of them are 15 to 30.

So why? I ask. Isn't Sonic a character for children? Like seriously.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 07:05:13

At 11/3/11 07:02 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I met some really strange people both in real life and the internet that just swoon over Sonic the Hedgehog. You might refer to these individuals as "Sonic Fanboys/Fangirls". People who draw Sonic fanart and make their own Mary Sues about Sonic. And what's creepier is that a lot of them are 15 to 30.

I have always liked cartoon characters (not in that way) but never really been a fan of sonic and now that I'm older I only like the cult characters and the more creepy ones like Captain Hero from Drawn Together and Salad Fingers. So I've grown up a bit i think.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 07:05:44

why not

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 07:06:14

At 11/3/11 07:02 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: So why? I ask. Isn't Sonic a character for children? Like seriously.

Same goes for those who watch My Little Pony. Grow up please.

Also, Spongebob. That's for kids too.

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 07:07:58

At 11/3/11 07:06 AM, psychicpebble wrote: Why do bronies exist?

why not?

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 07:21:47

I am concerned with people who are obsessed with Harry Potter, now those people are nutters.

The most annoying user - 2019

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 07:47:46

It is a nostalgia thing, and the Sonic games isn't aimed towards kids only. Hell I still love Pokémon, because I think it is nostalgic for me and reminds me of my childhood.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 08:47:19

At 11/3/11 07:47 AM, Mismo wrote: It is a nostalgia thing, and the Sonic games isn't aimed towards kids only. Hell I still love Pokémon, because I think it is nostalgic for me and reminds me of my childhood.

i agree. I can't imagine my youth without the nintendo vs. sega wars going on back in the day;
sonic was very iconic those days.

Don't read beyond the dots.

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 10:14:42

At 11/3/11 07:02 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: So why? I ask. Isn't Sonic a character for children? Like seriously.

There's a whole list of these people.

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 10:17:22

There is a class of newgrounder that I like to call "sonic fags" (I didn't make u that phrase by the way)
These people write hate reviews with terrible grammar, puncuation and spelling, and surprise, surprise, these people almost always have sonic as their profile pic

Is...is that a Dragonball Dispenser?

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 10:34:20

At 11/3/11 07:06 AM, psychicpebble wrote: Why do bronies exist?

Thread
slowly
derailing
to
bronies.

Keep it on track please.
... also captain-ben loves sonic art in the art portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 10:38:27

because they where molested as young children by some man in a mario costume!

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 11:14:25

At 11/3/11 07:05 AM, cheese-man wrote: why not

1. It's a character that has gotten exponentially more obnoxious the more it's been developed.
2. Its fans, likewise, get exponentially more obnoxious the more they obsess over it
3. Typically obsessing too much over anything kind of ruins it, so whatever good qualities it does possess are kind of buried under an ocean of creepy obsessive crap
4. Sonic hasn't been good since Genesis.

At 6/24/15 11:11 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:

: CorpseGrinder is the Undertaker of the Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 11:23:10

Blue streak, speeds by...
Sonic the Hedgehog.

Too fast, for the naked eye,
Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic, he can really move!
Sonic, he's got an attitude!
Sonic, he's the fastest thing aliiiieiiiive....

But yeah, Sonic is a cool dude. Easy to see why he has fans.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 11:27:43

At 11/3/11 11:14 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote: 1. It's a character that has gotten exponentially more obnoxious the more it's been developed.

Like mlp?

2. Its fans, likewise, get exponentially more obnoxious the more they obsess over it

Like mlp.

3. Typically obsessing too much over anything kind of ruins it, so whatever good qualities it does possess are kind of buried under an ocean of creepy obsessive crap

like... Well, like everything everyone has ever obsessed about, really. There's been groups of people ruining everything in this way since before recorded history. Religion could have turned out as a lighthearted moral suggestion, but instead we kill each other over it and I we may have people like this to blame.

4. Sonic hasn't been good since Genesis.

Actually, I thought the Dreamcast titles were okay, but everything after that was unplayable.

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 11:35:24

At 11/3/11 11:27 AM, slipstrike wrote:
At 11/3/11 11:14 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote: 1. It's a character that has gotten exponentially more obnoxious the more it's been developed.
Like mlp?

Uh no, like going from a sprite to goth/saiyan/werewolf etc. etc.

MLP characters from the present show are actually less obnoxious than previous iterations, hence why it's gained wider appeal.

Like mlp.

Yes, in this instance absolutely.

Actually, I thought the Dreamcast titles were okay, but everything after that was unplayable.

They were endurable but not "good". Again, it was a nice-looking game (for its time) with enjoyable gameplay that became so bloody popular because it was the Mario of the Sega brand that a hundred awful iterations and TV shows and comic books and toys were pooped out to capitalize on the stupid, obsessive fandom.

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 11:43:54

At 11/3/11 11:35 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote:
At 11/3/11 11:27 AM, slipstrike wrote:
1. It's a character that has gotten exponentially more obnoxious the more it's been developed
Like mlp?
Uh no, like going from a sprite to goth/saiyan/werewolf etc. etc.
MLP characters from the present show are actually less obnoxious than previous iterations, hence why it's gained wider appeal.

You've got me there. I might have been unconsciously trying to rattle the cage with this one, though. 'previous iterations', you say? I wouldn't know anything about that, but how do you?

Like mlp.
Yes, in this instance absolutely.

Glad to see we can agree on something

They were endurable but not "good". Again, it was a nice-looking game (for its time) with enjoyable gameplay that became so bloody popular because it was the Mario of the Sega brand that a hundred awful iterations and TV shows and comic books and toys were pooped out to capitalize on the stupid, obsessive fandom.

I only played up to Sonic and Knuckles, then I skipped straight to Dreamcast. I can't say anything about the in-between. You've got a real beef with the sonic-lovers, don't ya?

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 11:48:16

I always thought it was a furry related thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 11:54:22

At 11/3/11 11:43 AM, slipstrike wrote: You've got me there. I might have been unconsciously trying to rattle the cage with this one, though. 'previous iterations', you say? I wouldn't know anything about that, but how do you?

Yeah there was a previous show back in the 80s and there were a couple movies. My Little Pony toys have been around for ages, did you really think no one thought to capitalize on it with a show until now?

I only played up to Sonic and Knuckles

Sonic and Knuckles is the last one I remember from Genesis. Thing is with those games, most of them were pretty much the same.

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 12:03:46

At 11/3/11 11:54 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote:
At 11/3/11 11:43 AM, slipstrike wrote:
Yeah there was a previous show back in the 80s and there were a couple movies. My Little Pony toys have been around for ages, did you really think no one thought to capitalize on it with a show until now?

I imagine the 80's show was like a girly version of the transformers cartoon, but the real question is, were there bronies back then too? And were they anything like what we've got now?

At 11/3/11 11:48 AM, AgroNurse wrote: I always thought it was a furry related thing.

I used to think so too. Now I have no idea.

I knew a full-blown sonicfag back in high school. I don't mean he was an immersed sonic fan, he was a full-blown sonic-flamer. I mean painfully, dangerously obsessed with sonic. I don't even know where to start when I wanna describe him.

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 12:10:25

At 11/3/11 12:03 PM, slipstrike wrote: were there bronies back then too? And were they anything like what we've got now?

No.

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-03 12:24:00

At 11/3/11 12:10 PM,

At 11/3/11 12:03 PM, slipstrike wrote: were there bronies back then too? And were they anything like what we've got now?
No.

So it's just some stupid thing about our generation? God damn we're screwed in so many ways.

At 11/3/11 10:34 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Thread
slowly
derailing
to
bronies.

Keep it on track please.

Oh, sorry TOAS.

CorpseGrinderClock wrote:

It really does sound like you've been wronged by sonicfags. Care to regale us?

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-07 21:12:51

At 11/3/11 12:24 PM, slipstrike wrote: It really does sound like you've been wronged by sonicfags. Care to regale us?

More an observation than a grievance

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-07 21:17:54

At 11/3/11 07:06 AM, Shmossy wrote:
It's alright to like sonic games just don't go so far as to drawign recolors and fan characters.
Same goes for those who watch My Little Pony. Grow up please.
Exactly.
Also, Spongebob. That's for kids too.

Typical spongebob fan and male brony below:
Also, this is why I stopped playing sonic games about 2 years ago.

Hondas,Hookers,HKS motorsports and Hard yiffing, it's all good | I love AE86's!! |formerly towellyfan | Herro Roo makes the best yiff known to civilization

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-07 21:23:14

old sonic was alright
as for the new sonic, just another dbz that persist on still living

happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-07 22:13:02

sawnick is ghey

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-07 22:22:49

At 11/3/11 07:37 AM, Bryan wrote: I only don't like them when they go making really shitty slash fics and Rule 34.

But really, when are they doing any but making really shitty sprite flashes and rule 34?

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-07 22:39:30

Dude, what the hell? Leave them alone, they've got something they like and that's cool.

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2011-11-07 23:28:55

I saw the first Sonic commercial when I was 7.

I also watched the first and second cartoon series.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Why be obsessed about Sonic? 2012-02-10 16:52:33

At 11/3/11 07:02 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I met some really strange people both in real life and the internet that just swoon over Sonic the Hedgehog. You might refer to these individuals as "Sonic Fanboys/Fangirls". People who draw Sonic fanart and make their own Mary Sues about Sonic. And what's creepier is that a lot of them are 15 to 30.

no...i belive that sonic the hedgehog is for kids and adults...i am a sonic fan myself...people may find this wierd but i find this normal some people like sonic because he is cunning smooth fast and his name is awesome...(: and i believe it is thier choice to like sonic or not...and to me...sonic is awesome

. and stop slamming sonic and stuff...its annoying and stupid.....