Normally I would disagree with the OP, because most negative reviews I see are along the lines of "OMG DIS IS TOO HARD DIS GAEM SUCK!" However, I would say that OP has a very good point here. Here's a review left by one user:
"Well..." by: reyalz
date: 12 hours ago
Certainly a captivating game.
At first the concept seemed silly, but when you got the first advanced reaction it became slightly fascinating. Then it kind of devolved into a pointless grind which took several hours (before the skip mechanism). The game ended up being really repetitive and before long you stopped caring about the advanced reactions too, realizing that none of it would ever amount to anything. That made me turn to the story, which was quite captivating as well. I guess that is what made this game as successful as it was. The story is very uninteresting at first, while the gameplay is interesting. Then when the gameplay gets uninteresting the story gets slightly more interesting. That is all very good and all... but there are some major lacks in this game:
- Like many has mentioned before, the ending is dull and seems pretty inconclusive. I realize it is ideal to the gameplay... but... at the point you actually reach the "ending" you are more than fed up with the gameplay anyway. It would have been better to make a more conclusive ending and then give the player the option to go back and finish the gameplay in a non-storyline game mode.
- The menus are too massive at first, it needs a much lighter introduction. The amount of data you have access to is impressive, but at times you feel like you are forced to go through a long library just to find that one single piece of info that you need. The exception to this is the box with you specimen's data that appears when you "inspect" an item. That is a great example of what I would have liked to see more of.
- The attributes were a bit too difficult to manipulate. Items had several ways of affecting the specimen depending on the reaction and this made it very tedious to reach a certain reaction.
- The whole weapon testing thing seemed utterly pointless in any aspect. I am guessing that you put this in purely for entertainment purposes, having to go through with it for reactions was kind of pointless though. I am specifically addressing things such as the chainsaw and grenade, which served no practical purpose.
- All in all there were just too much stuff to handle. At one point you had so many items stashed up that you just stopped caring about them.
- The skip feature is kind of inefficient. You have to move your mouse around a lot and the menu kind of resets its position which forces you to go through it to find the object once again. Would have liked some hotkeys for this... but I guess its better than nothing.
A very well thought out and reasonable review, while critical, very helpful. I see nothing wrong with this.
10 hours ago Author's Response:
OMG!!!! YOU HAVE TO MOVE YOUR MOUSE!!!!! Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?
And the author proceeds to be a cunt.