BBS Signature
SnakeSkull
SnakeSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:17 PM Reply

I use 'Reply & Quote'; but, most of the time, I end up erasing the quote.

Like just now.

Barev dzez.

BBS Signature
Zippy-MyMusic
Zippy-MyMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:22 PM Reply

Unless I'm the first one to post in the topic, I typically quote.

WiiFittoToreinaa
WiiFittoToreinaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:29 PM Reply

both

Get lyrically fit!!!!
Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature
Autokrator
Autokrator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:31 PM Reply

I like to reply with "i am a tool brand of nike"

I have a message for the political elites in Washington, D.C. The United States of America is not going to become the United States of Europe, not on our watch. - HERMAN CAIN

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:32 PM Reply

If it's in response to the first post, I will just post like this without a quote.

If someone says something in the thread I want to respond to, then I quote.

I do this, and feel the need to because....

Just kidding, no life stories :(

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:38 PM Reply

If I'm addressing a post other than the OP, I use Reply & Quote.

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:40 PM Reply

Most of the time: reply & quote.

(Was tempted to max out the character limit with Grandpa Simpson style rambling about my entire life from start to finish, but meh; can't be bothered.)

g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:42 PM Reply

Here's a common sense answer to a dumb question.

If you're replying to someone: Reply & Quote
If you're posting in direct response to the topic or it's question: Reply.

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
Neoncrotch
Neoncrotch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:45 PM Reply

Reply to Post

BBS Signature
chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:47 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 04:54 PM, BlueMieux wrote: Reply with quote when responding to anything other than the original post.

This pretty much. I'd say I probably reply & quote a little more often than not.

BBS Signature
SirAlex
SirAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:48 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 04:54 PM, liljim wrote: When you respond to an existing topic, which of the two options do you use the most?

I don't want to hear your life story or why you felt the need to quote some guy who had been bragging about butchering his cat... It's a simple question.

Begin.

depends if the post will be directly to one person (like now) then I tend to use reply & quote, but when it's to a group or just in general it's reply to post.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 06:42 PM, g0t wrote: Here's a common sense answer to a dumb question.

Dumb question?

Okay. I didn't ask for your opinion. I asked what you used most. Whether or not you used both or just one of them would have been sufficient.

The purpose of me asking that question was to determine whether or not people actually used the "Reply To Post" option. The reason I asked the question was because that option will most likely be removed in future, which I'm against, as I personally use it all the time. I was trying to ascertain whether or not that would be a bad move.

Never mind though, you guys keep talking about how your genitals shrink in cold water or whatever it is that entertains you. Just don't come crying to me when the option is no longer there.

Good evening.

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:09 PM Reply

I use the Reply to Post option all the time. Getting rid of it would certainly be a mistake.

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:04 PM, liljim wrote: The purpose of me asking that question was to determine whether or not people actually used the "Reply To Post" option. The reason I asked the question was because that option will most likely be removed in future, which I'm against, as I personally use it all the time. I was trying to ascertain whether or not that would be a bad move.

you're like the longest employee tell whoever wants that to fuck off THIS IS A NEWGROUNDS TRADITION YOU CAN'T REMOVE THAT BUTTON IT BELONGS THERE.

although having it appear 30 times on a page is fucking dumb, REDUNDANCY LOL, maybe some funky floating bar that follows down the page with the title, views, reply to topic button and shit. THAT'S WEB 2.0!! if you're desperately alone like me you might have used okcupid, their profile page view is what I mean, if you go to a long profile and scroll down a bar will show up with the infos and option to msg them.

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:04 PM, liljim wrote: I was trying to ascertain whether or not that would be a bad move.

It would be a terrible move. :P

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 04:54 PM, liljim wrote: When you respond to an existing topic, which of the two options do you use the most?

I don't want to hear your life story or why you felt the need to quote some guy who had been bragging about butchering his cat... It's a simple question.

Begin.

Usually I use reply and quote because I like responding to people directly and answering them. I feel like if I'm not the OP, then I should be reacting to the first post or the others because that promotes discussion and what not. However, if the thread is something like "name your favorite band", I'll probably jut reply to the post. It's a very situational thing.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:28 PM Reply

But if for some reason theres a space issue ( I DONT KNOW WHY THIS IS AN ISSUE. ) I'd personally remove the 'Reply & Quote' button, and then make Repy to Post quote whoevers button you just pressed. Or maybe add Reply to post at the top and bottom of each thread page, and just keep reply & quote to user posts.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:31 PM Reply

I probably use 'Reply & Quote' most, but I DO use 'Reply to Post' and think it should stay as an option.

Maybe rename it to just "reply" if it's a space issue ...or, to expand on citricsquid's suggestion, only have it at the top and bottom of the page since one should really read a thread through before replying anyway!

It would also be nice if there was a way to easily 'piggyback' reply & quote instead of copy/pasting...

there's probably a real term for that, but I don't know what it is :P

...for times when you want to respond to multiple posts/comments, like in collab or contest threads for example.

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:32 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:04 PM, liljim wrote: Never mind though, you guys keep talking about how your genitals shrink in cold water or whatever it is that entertains you. Just don't come crying to me when the option is no longer there.

Good evening.

Kind of funny that you got that butthurt over a comment that was not even directed at you. Relax.

Also, I haven't actually been active on NG for a few months really, so I think it's pretty funny that you lump me in with the rest of these people.

Either way, I think you need to get out a little more and enjoy yourself, because obviously something that slight, set you off.

Anyway, the comment was directed at people who were having judgement problems as to when to use which.

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:04 PM, liljim wrote:
At 10/26/11 06:42 PM, g0t wrote: Here's a common sense answer to a dumb question.

Dumb question?

Okay. I didn't ask for your opinion. I asked what you used most. Whether or not you used both or just one of them would have been sufficient.

The purpose of me asking that question was to determine whether or not people actually used the "Reply To Post" option. The reason I asked the question was because that option will most likely be removed in future, which I'm against, as I personally use it all the time. I was trying to ascertain whether or not that would be a bad move.

Never mind though, you guys keep talking about how your genitals shrink in cold water or whatever it is that entertains you. Just don't come crying to me when the option is no longer there.

Good evening.

You definitely should not remove it. I almost always read the rest of the posts in the thread before replying, either to see if anyone has already made a joke I want to make, or if I'm about to say something that someone else has already proven wrong. It would be so annoying to have to scroll all the way to the top of the page just to hit that "Post reply" button.

Plus, there would be a LOT more threads that were intended as replies.

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:45 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:40 PM, Squidbit wrote: You definitely should not remove it. I almost always read the rest of the posts in the thread before replying, either to see if anyone has already made a joke I want to make, or if I'm about to say something that someone else has already proven wrong. It would be so annoying to have to scroll all the way to the top of the page just to hit that "Post reply" button.

I believe he meant that they are considering removing the "Reply To Post" button and only having a "Reply With Quote" button.

I wouldn't horribly mind that, so long as we still had the option of deleting the quoted text, but it does seem a but unnecessary when you're just replying to the OP.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 04:54 PM, liljim wrote: I want to hear your life story

Well, Jim. It all started in West Philadelphia, where I was born and raised.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:32 PM, g0t wrote: Kind of funny that you got that butthurt over a comment that was not even directed at you. Relax.

I didn't get "butthurt" over anything. I'm just sick and tired of reading through drivel responses to a question that even my niece, who isn't even two years old yet, could comfortably answer.

Also, I haven't actually been active on NG for a few months really, so I think it's pretty funny that you lump me in with the rest of these people.

Hilarious, yes. I always keep tabs on the activity of every NG member, so it must have slipped my mind that you were AWOL for a number of months. My apologies.

And CitrusCalamari, I'm not going to fanny about with floating bars or any of that stuff. There is no space issue and a link isn't exactly going to put a significant amount of load time on pages.

ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 08:00 PM Reply

depends on context of the message

mostly the reply with quote though

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:04 PM, liljim wrote: The purpose of me asking that question was to determine whether or not people actually used the "Reply To Post" option. The reason I asked the question was because that option will most likely be removed in future, which I'm against, as I personally use it all the time. I was trying to ascertain whether or not that would be a bad move.

Getting rid of that button would be a horrible move, it would make posting a lot less convenient. Though I do think it could stand a new label, such as "Quick Reply" or something of the likes. Because it seems that a lot of new posters think it actually shows that you're replying to that specific post, when it's really no different to that "Post Reply" button at the top.

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 08:09 PM, Tramps wrote:
At 10/26/11 07:04 PM, liljim wrote: The reason I asked the question was because that option will most likely be removed in future, which I'm against, as I personally use it all the time.
Ohh, that's what you wanted to know? Should have made it clearer in the original post.

No I shouldn't. I wanted to know what people use, without getting into a debate over whether or not the "reply to post" button should become redundant, or influencing opinion on the matter. If everyone had replied with, "I only use the reply with quote" option, that would have been that. Of course, that was based on the assumption that people would just answer the fucking question, rather than predictably going off in a diatribe of superfluous information.

Yrtnej
Yrtnej
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 09:01 PM Reply

Normally, I at least skim through the thread. If I don't see anything in particular I want to reply to directly, I hit Reply to Post.

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 09:04 PM Reply

Reply to Post -- When responding to the original post only.
Reply and Quote -- When responding to any post and what it be known.

Overall, I think I use the quote one just slightly more. Not sure and that's just a guess. May be wrong.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Reply & Quote vs. Reply To Post Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 09:09 PM Reply

Begin.

I click the reply-to-quote button to post, ass I've done here.

I often quote people to ask them questions or to make my answer my clear if possible.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature