New Topic Respond to this Topic
Azbic
Azbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 12:09 PM Reply

The title says it all really but I'm wondering what you guys think about the concept; the basic idea being you tweet and this affects your character in the game.

I'm not sure how extensively people have looked into this beyond 'RT and win a tablet!!' which seems very limited and uncreative. So would you participate or would you be too worried about relating your account with a game (even if it were just a one-off thing)?

Also if you're awesome and a Twitter user you'd be doing me a huge favour by filling this out: http://fetimo.com/survey everything's optional so you can do as much or as little as you like!

Yhtomit
Yhtomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 12:53 PM Reply

So, it'd be like a tabletop roleplay game, but done on Twitter? Sounds like an interesting concept...

Love
Love
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 01:01 PM Reply

I hate Twitter, so probably not.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 04:02 PM Reply

It could be fun. I would try it out.

BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 04:09 PM Reply

so like..you tweet and whatever you tweet your character does it?

im lost.

I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 04:16 PM Reply

I know that if I was following people that started tweeting shit like "pick up the goblet of strength and use health potion" they'd probably get a prompt unfollow.

Twitter isn't a social network in the same sense of Facebook, Google+, Unthink, Myspace, Bebo or any of those other profile based platforms are; it's rapidly becoming a media tool.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
Kaneda-X
Kaneda-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 04:21 PM Reply

Why?

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 04:23 PM Reply

There are already tons of twitter games available, and I can't think of one that made it big. From tower defense (Tweet Defense) to RPGs (Snods) to even chess, they're plentiful and most of them not worth more than 5 minutes of play. If you plan to redefine the twitter game genre, you should certainly research past games and why they failed to capture attention

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Azbic
Azbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 12:53 PM, Yhtomit wrote: So, it'd be like a tabletop roleplay game, but done on Twitter? Sounds like an interesting concept...
At 10/26/11 04:09 PM, MiloBased wrote: so like..you tweet and whatever you tweet your character does it? im lost.
At 10/26/11 04:16 PM, WaterShake wrote: I know that if I was following people that started tweeting shit like "pick up the goblet of strength and use health potion" they'd probably get a prompt unfollow.

Twitter isn't a social network in the same sense of Facebook, Google+, Unthink, Myspace, Bebo or any of those other profile based platforms are; it's rapidly becoming a media tool.

Tweets wouldn't be directly related to what the character does, my idea is that you create a character initially with a simple hashtag. After that, you can 'bind' your account to the character so that whatever you tweet subtly influences their behaviour. Perhaps the more you tweet, or the happier the things you tweet are, gives them more xp to be used against others. I hope that makes it a little clearer without giving my whole idea away :)

At 10/26/11 04:23 PM, STEM wrote: There are already tons of twitter games available, and I can't think of one that made it big. From tower defense (Tweet Defense) to RPGs (Snods) to even chess, they're plentiful and most of them not worth more than 5 minutes of play. If you plan to redefine the twitter game genre, you should certainly research past games and why they failed to capture attention

STEM, you raise some very good points, I haven't heard of those specific ones but I'm aware of others like 140 Blood, Whose Tweet?, Twitbrain etc. so I'll give those a look into. You've also hit the nail on the head with "they're plentiful and most of them not worth more than 5 minutes of play", my strategy was to use evolution and a changing environment as hooks into it.

Thanks for the replies so far! You guys are very helpful :)

BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 04:55 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 04:49 PM, Azbic wrote:
Tweets wouldn't be directly related to what the character does, my idea is that you create a character initially with a simple hashtag. After that, you can 'bind' your account to the character so that whatever you tweet subtly influences their behaviour. Perhaps the more you tweet, or the happier the things you tweet are, gives them more xp to be used against others. I hope that makes it a little clearer without giving my whole idea away :)

If people start tweeting even more than they do now, and on top of that a whole bunch more "hey look at my new shoes im happy" crap, i will personally start a boycott against twitter and your game.

I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
masheenH3ad
masheenH3ad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Not a bad idea. You should go on with it.

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Would you play a Twitter-based game Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 07:06 PM, Timchik wrote:
At 10/26/11 01:01 PM, Hybridization wrote: I dislike Twitter, so probably not.
Fixed.

You're a fucking shit poster, you know that?

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature