New Topic Respond to this Topic
Marc-Firewing
Marc-Firewing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-25 16:39:55 Reply

Okay so I was starting to mess with Adobe Flash CS5 for a bit and was doing good. Then I got distracted by something a friend of mine wanted and when I came back, the sprites wouldn't animate normally while on the stage. They animate fine in the Library and Preview, just not the stage, meaning my sprites are just moving from one end of the screen to another.

Did I be a complete and utter n00b and end up pushing a button here or there that I wasn't supposed to? (Granted I was having trouble with a second symbol so I kinda explored and yeaaah...)

Can someone tell me how to fix this sticky situation I find myself in?

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Marc-Firewing
Marc-Firewing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-25 17:01:38 Reply

That doesn't seem to be the case here. It worked fine when I had them as movie clips before I believe, and changing them to graphics in the Library then swapping it out didn't seem to do anything.

SirAlex
SirAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-25 18:35:12 Reply

hmm well how about you look at these two videos on Sprite animating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvDu2bzO dY

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUzodwz_t CM&feature=related

Marc-Firewing
Marc-Firewing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-25 18:47:17 Reply

I know how to make the animation though, I just recall the animation moving in the stage (not in the preview) when I hit the play button. I suppose I could be wrong. It would make it so much easier to animate if the running animation played while it moved across the screen while I was in the editor rather than having to check the preview every five minutes.

SickDeathFiend
SickDeathFiend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Animator
Response to Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-25 23:10:34 Reply

make sure you change it to symbol in the properties tab as well as on the stage and all the keyframes.

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Marc-Firewing
Marc-Firewing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-26 05:23:04 Reply

As far as I'm aware of they're all converted to symbols in the properties tab and on the stage. Bah, sorry this is so complicated. I'm not sure what went wrong because it's affecting all of my sprites for some reason, and all of them are symbols I converted, I just can't get any animation to play on the stage whatsoever.

Marc-Firewing
Marc-Firewing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-26 05:31:08 Reply

I personally hate double posting but I thought I'd include a link to the .swf file

http://www.mediafire.com/?sw8opb418fwnlf 6

I personally don't care if it gets stolen or not, it's just a first-time test to see how to work with flash. I'm not entirely sure if anyone will be able to see what's wrong with it, but I thought I would for reference purposes and if someone can figure out that would help me greatly. If not, it's no big deal.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my extreme newbishness.

Marc-Firewing
Marc-Firewing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Help a newcomer out. 2011-10-26 06:37:38 Reply

At 10/26/11 05:31 AM, Marc-Firewing wrote: I personally hate double posting but I thought I'd include a link to the .swf file

http://www.mediafire.com/?sw8opb418fwnlf 6

I personally don't care if it gets stolen or not, it's just a first-time test to see how to work with flash. I'm not entirely sure if anyone will be able to see what's wrong with it, but I thought I would for reference purposes and if someone can figure out that would help me greatly. If not, it's no big deal.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my extreme newbishness.

Hah! I figured it out! psycho was right, I just had to change it to graphic and switch it from single-frame to loop (which it was mysteriously on)

Third post fail. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME OUT!