Be a Supporter!
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 12:52 AM Reply

Incase you didn't know. A Mac is a pc. A Mac is a personal computer. It's jut not crappy ass Windows that gets blue screen of death and other pointless freezes. Plus, it runs fast and not slow like doo doo.

So which is it for you? I prefer a Mac. My computer has Windows 7 and Hackintosh Snow Leopard on it. I use Snow Leopard for some gaming but mostly for everything else othen then gaming. Windows 7 has more pc gaming on it. I still hate Windows because it feels slow and glitchy filled.


I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 12:57 AM Reply

I see no reason to go beyond Windows XP, in terms of Microsoft. It was the closest they had ever come to perfecting it. It is the only Windows version I run.

I don't use any Apple OS.

Linux is the best that can be done, if you know what you are doing. The typical choice is Ubuntu, but my preference lies somewhere between Gentoo and Red Hat.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Razz
Razz
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 12:59 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 12:52 AM, TheKlown wrote: So which is it for you? I prefer a Mac.

Then why ask? You came to your own conclusion already.

Personally I would say the best computer would have both a Linux OS; of any kind. And Windows XP or above, both in the same computer. Windows has a vast library of programs made for it, I believe it's pretty much the standard. For this reason when you're using an OS such as Linux, .exe files which are so common for Windows users, cannot be used. But I don't find Windows to be all too reliable--Linux however is the industry standard for reliability, often being used in banks and markets.

I haven't personally owned a Mac yet though, just dabbled in some programs of it. And it seems a lot of programs have been made to also be compatible with them lately. I've gladly been using Windows since I was little though, so it has my vote.


BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 12:59 AM, JoeMation wrote: For this reason when you're using an OS such as Linux, .exe files which are so common for Windows users, cannot be used.

Don't forget about WINE. It makes many of them usable.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:37 AM Reply

Mac kills Windows

Best pc os?


I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:39 AM Reply

LIGHT COMBO BREAKER!!!!

That is all. Carry on

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
Love
Love
  • Member since: May. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:39 AM Reply

Mac is not a PC, but it is a personal computer. PC is Microsoft.

But anyway, Apple forever!

Posted from a MacBook Pro

BBS Signature
razorbladesigh
razorbladesigh
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:41 AM Reply

Depends on what you want. For desktop, I'm fond of Windows 7, currently, mostly because I'm fond of compatibility and games(sorry GNU/Linux distros)

But from what I hear, the best servers are ran on a few different Linux distros.
Macs are cool if you like them, but they are exceptionally fun to bash in light fun.


|1.|2.|3.|

BBS Signature
levusbevus
levusbevus
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:44 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 02:39 AM, Finalfina wrote: LIGHT COMBO BREAKER!!!!

That is all. Carry on

Just made me realize that I have a light aura as well.

Anyway, I use Windows because it's reliable enough for me. It does what I want and it doesn't spoon feed me anything like OS X does. Nothing against OS X users or anything but I actually can't stand the GUI for OS X.

As for Linux, well I haven't really tried Linux so I can't really voice an opinion.


Prepare for unforeseen consequences.

BBS Signature
levusbevus
levusbevus
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:47 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 02:39 AM, Hybridization wrote: Mac is not a PC, but it is a personal computer. PC is Microsoft.

But anyway, Apple forever!

Posted from a MacBook Pro

PC stands for Personal Computer you doilt. So yeah, OS X is a PC OS.


Prepare for unforeseen consequences.

BBS Signature
Love
Love
  • Member since: May. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:48 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 02:47 AM, levusbevus wrote:
At 10/22/11 02:39 AM, Hybridization wrote: Mac is not a PC, but it is a personal computer. PC is Microsoft.

But anyway, Apple forever!

Posted from a MacBook Pro
PC stands for Personal Computer you doilt. So yeah, OS X is a PC OS.

PC the term.


BBS Signature
razorbladesigh
razorbladesigh
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:51 AM Reply

PC has almost come to exclusively mean Windows machines. Unless the person you're talking to is nitpicky, or you say it like an ass or idiot, referring to them at "Macs and PCs" is fine.


|1.|2.|3.|

BBS Signature
blah569
blah569
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Programmer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:52 AM Reply

Debian is the best choice.


BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:52 AM Reply

Apple's advertising campaign, to create the perception of a separation between Macintosh and Windows was insanely successful, as evidenced by the dipshit above.


@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
Advent1s
Advent1s
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:54 AM Reply

IOS has its ups and downs, Windows has its ups and downs, Linux based systems have their ups and downs...so on

See, only morons would say anything else.

Depending on what you do or how tech savvy you are, each system has its uses.

blah569
blah569
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Programmer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Debian is the best choice.


BBS Signature
razorbladesigh
razorbladesigh
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 02:55 AM, blah569 wrote: Debian is the best choice.
At 10/22/11 02:52 AM, blah569 wrote: Debian is the best choice.

Woah, the acoustics in here are awesome. Almost like there's an echo!


|1.|2.|3.|

BBS Signature
iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:03 AM Reply

I find the only reason Mac OS X doesn't freeze quite as much is there's less programs that could even possibly cause something wrong to happen. Everything is so controlled, everything is decided for you, which is the very reason I don't like it. Not as much customizability, not as much options. Windows has millions of programs written for it. Macs do not. I couldn't get into Linux, though, it seems too complex for regular desktop use. Not to mention it wouldn't be usable for anything apart from running servers, or something of that nature.


BBS Signature
iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:17 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 03:08 AM, BlueMieux wrote: What distribution did you use? Ubuntu's main focus is usability and user-friendliness. If you used anything else, I'd recommend you give it a shot. Linux is great for servers and back-end matters, but it's also great for home users. As I mentioned earlier, it can do everything except gaming, really. If anything, it excels at non-gaming matters as it is more resource efficient than Windows in many cases.

Yeah, I have Ubuntu installed in one of my machines, and I've got Apache running on it 24/7. I barely use it, though. I mostly use my computer for gaming, browsing, and office. Yeah, ubuntu can do all that, and for free, and it's not much of a resource hog, but my Windows computer is extremely powerful, so I've never had to worry about Windows hogging resources, and I'd have no other reason to start switching between computers just to do something I could do on my Windows PC anyway. I just maintain my server on my linux computer, and do everything else on my Windows computer.


BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:19 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 02:57 AM, razorbladesigh wrote:
At 10/22/11 02:55 AM, blah569 wrote: Debian is the best choice.
At 10/22/11 02:52 AM, blah569 wrote: Debian is the best choice.
Woah, the acoustics in here are awesome. Almost like there's an echo!

Isn't it? My ears have become better now!


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:42 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 02:54 AM, Advent1s wrote: IOS has its ups and downs, Windows has its ups and downs, Linux based systems have their ups and downs...so on

See, only morons would say anything else.

This.

Honestly, fanboys are so annoying.

Companies and competition = Good.


"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
Tribal
Tribal
  • Member since: Mar. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 04:10 AM Reply

Windows XP is by far the best, and this on a basis of functionality as well as overal compatibiliy and its ability to be more than sufficiently customizable. Windows vista is much worse in all of the aforementioned points, and windows 7 takes pride on itself being so much better, but microsoft just changed the ways in which these pointers are approached. It also has far too many futile bells and whistles according to my taste. I'd step back to XP if I could. To top it all off, without a large amount of outwardly attainable-only drivers, Win7 is like an empty box with tarry wheels on it.


Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!
Sig by Me.

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:33 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 06:31 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: > Linux.
Have at me.

Shit has ugly interface and its complicating aswell. Even with visual themes it couldn't trick me into feeling like I wasn't in linux.


I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:37 AM Reply

I'm currently using Windows XP, Mac OS X and Ubuntu 11.04

I think it's fair to say that they all have their pros and cons. I use XP as the main OS on my laptop (which happens to be a MacBook Pro) just because I always have and probably always will love XP. It lets me play all my old PC games with no problems at all.

OS X is good because if I'm running off of battery power the machine will stay alive for a hell of a lot longer. Plus, when it comes to using the terminal, OS X is far nicer than the Windows command prompt in my opinion.

Finally, Ubuntu is just awesome for me. It has a lot of features that make life easier when it comes to getting my uni work done. I can set up folder shortcuts in my file space that will automatically connect to the university servers and show me all my documents and let me work on them for example.

There is no "best OS". It depends entirely on what you want to do with it.


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:38 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 06:33 AM, TheKlown wrote:
At 10/22/11 06:31 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: > Linux.
Shit has ugly interface and its complicating aswell.

Hold on a minute. When did you last use a Linux distro and which one was is? I get a feeling you've not touched them in a while.


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 08:38 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 06:38 AM, Dean wrote:
At 10/22/11 06:33 AM, TheKlown wrote:
At 10/22/11 06:31 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: > Linux.
Shit has ugly interface and its complicating aswell.
Hold on a minute. When did you last use a Linux distro and which one was is? I get a feeling you've not touched them in a while.

I used Ubuntu just a couple days ago, I installed it a zillion times. And I really tried to like it. I think I just don't like the terminals and I also don't like the fact that Linux has like 0 applications, games that I care about on it. It's funny that Nvidia pays so much more attention to the drivers on Linux, yet Linux has no games or important applications on it! What a freaking waste! They spend more time on the drivers on Linux than they do on a Mac which has more applications and more games.


I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

EternalCombustion
EternalCombustion
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:24 AM Reply

Windows 7 is better!


Newgrounds Forever! / Comment my userpage, bitch! / Add me as fan :3

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:25 AM Reply

I love Ubuntu.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:27 AM Reply

Snow Leo.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Best pc os? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:30 AM Reply

At 10/22/11 02:39 AM, Hybridization wrote: Mac is not a PC, but it is a personal computer. PC is Microsoft.

But anyway, Apple forever!

Posted from a MacBook Pro

PC is IBM, although Apple was actually the first to use the term "Personal Computer".

I absolutely HATE the word PC referring to Windows. "Our application is available for PC, Mac OS-X and Linux!". It just doesn't make any sense!