00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HatofInquiry just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa

4,258 Views | 75 Replies

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/
petition/legalize-and-regulate-marijuana -manner-similar-alcohol/y8l45gb1

Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol.

"We the people want to know when we can have our "perfectly legitimate" discussion on marijuana legalization. Marijuana prohibition has resulted in the arrest of over 20 million Americans since 1965, countless lives ruined and hundreds of billions of tax dollars squandered and yet this policy has still failed to achieve its stated goals of lowering use rates, limiting the drug's access, and creating safer communities.

Isn't it time to legalize and regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol? If not, please explain why you feel that the continued criminalization of cannabis will achieve the results in the future that it has never achieved in the past?

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 09:56:54

I've seen that petition on 4chan before. In fact I'm half sure there was already a topic about it on here.

I might be wrong though.

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 10:11:43

Signed and shared on facebook. Pass it on.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 10:27:39

Fucking crazy that its outlawed and alcohol isn't when its proved alcohol is more dangerous.
All having it illigal does is put money into the hands of criminals that could get put back into society, and needlessly fills up the already overcrowded prison systems with innocent users.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 10:43:00

No!

I demand this petition to be taken down!

The one good thing about on paper petitions is that you can take away their clip board with all their signatures and rip it up.

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 10:56:29

It is time to illegalize alcohol. It is also a dangerous drug that should be prohibited.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 10:57:50

At 10/19/11 10:56 AM, satanbrain wrote: It is time to illegalize alcohol. It is also a dangerous drug that should be prohibited.

They did that once, remember. It actually caused way more problems and solved nothing.

this is the users orange and officer. lovers till the end

If you see I have bad grammar, ignor it because I dont give a fuck

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 11:01:22

Saw on the news for the first time the majority of Americans feel weed should be legal and, as the reporter put it, it's an "all time high."

... What a witty guy, hurhuhrur.

But yeah, weed should be legalized, or at the very least decriminalized in every state. It's already practically legal where I live. I mean, you just pay a yearly medical license fee and then walk into a clinic and pick out what you want, similar to buying OTC drugs at stores.

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 11:03:46

Don't you guys already have a big enough unemployment and poverty problem? Why would you want to increase those?

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 11:47:18

Done my part and signed it !

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 11:49:08

NO!!!!
Marijuana is a dangerous drug and should only be used when the doctor sez so because of your health problems!!!!!
TAKE THIS PETITION DOWN!!!
:(

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 11:56:28

I actually think harsher penalties for possession of any kind of drug should be imposed. Likewise, alcohol ought to be banned again. We didn't have effective policing in the 20s, but we certainly do now.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 12:00:03

Is the fact that I enjoy seeing potheads miserable a good enough reason for not supporting the legalization of marijuana?

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 12:04:26

At 10/19/11 11:54 AM, Jedi-Master wrote: Prohibition just doesn't work. It didn't work with alcohol then, and it doesn't work with marijuana now. Legalize it and let people do what they want to do as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

Yeah, that's the key there, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others, or break other new regulatory laws made when marijuana is made legal. It's naive to think that regulation costs will go down when weed is legalized.

Legalizing weed will not do much to cut down on the government's costs to regulate it. There will still be just as much "illegal" weed being produced south of the border that will be crossing into the US and sold for less than its legal cousin.

If weed is legal it doesn't mean that there won't be the illegal production and sale of weed that the government will have an even greater stake in stopping since it's cutting into their own profits.

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 12:17:05

At 10/19/11 12:00 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Is the fact that I enjoy seeing potheads miserable a good enough reason for not supporting the legalization of marijuana?

Miserable stoners? That's a funny contradiction. The ones you see must have some other horrible shit going on in their lives...

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 12:20:30

At 10/19/11 12:17 PM, MonkeyShooter wrote:
At 10/19/11 12:00 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Is the fact that I enjoy seeing potheads miserable a good enough reason for not supporting the legalization of marijuana?
Miserable stoners? That's a funny contradiction. The ones you see must have some other horrible shit going on in their lives...

Well not 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I'm not sadistic. That would be as crazy as if you were implying that people who smoke pot are in a constant state of THC induced bliss.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 12:28:23

Someone mind posting a link to the Marijuana Legalization Petition? I can't seem to find it...

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 12:34:01

At 10/19/11 12:18 PM, Jedi-Master wrote: I assume that by "harsher penalties" you mean jailtime or more time in prison. Am I right?

I mean crippling fines that destroy the lives of people who use said drugs.

Why? Why do you want to prohibit alcohol again?

Consumption of alcohol carries no social benefit, is the cause of many deaths, and is a waste of time. I'll go ahead and put tobacco in this category as well. These things are a danger to all of society

And why should policemen and women be forced to make people comply with such a silly law when they could be doing other things, such as trying to catch hardened and violent criminals, criminals who pose an actual threat to the public?

A drunk driver is one of the deadliest forces in America. Many times more people die from drunk driving than from murder. Smoking likewise kills many more. Marijuana, while not dangerous to the same degree as tobacco, is nonetheless by nature an inhaled smoke, which destroys the lungs of both an individual and those of the people around him/her.

You can ask somebody to be responsible, but that doesn't mean they will comply. Pre-emptively, we should make our greatest effort to destroy the sources of danger. The harsher the penalty, the less likely people are to endanger themselves and the innocents that inhabit society.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 12:48:32

Signed! See you on the 22nd folks.

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 13:07:29

At 10/19/11 12:34 PM, Bolo wrote:
At 10/19/11 12:18 PM, Jedi-Master wrote: I assume that by "harsher penalties" you mean jailtime or more time in prison. Am I right?
I mean crippling fines that destroy the lives of people who use said drugs.

Why? Why do you want to prohibit alcohol again?
Consumption of alcohol carries no social benefit, is the cause of many deaths, and is a waste of time. I'll go ahead and put tobacco in this category as well. These things are a danger to all of society

If you so wish to take all of these things away to China. There they will be happy to take away anything that they see unfit for you. They will make all the decisions on what you eat, drink, wear and do. So your paradise awits have at it. Me, I choose t remain in a country where we have freedom to choose what we put in our body's.

If only they could make ignorance illegal.

Hitman Crew - Hitman Absolution

Governor of the ZSC

PSN is in my sig or flashing on your screen after I kill you.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 13:14:07

At 10/19/11 01:07 PM, TheRipper00 wrote: If you so wish to take all of these things away to China. There they will be happy to take away anything that they see unfit for you. They will make all the decisions on what you eat, drink, wear and do. So your paradise awits have at it. Me, I choose t remain in a country where we have freedom to choose what we put in our body's. If only they could make ignorance illegal.

See, that's a slippery slope fallacy. I value freedoms as much as anybody, but the freedom to kill other people is not one that people should be allowed.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 18:01:14

At 10/19/11 09:56 AM, ValkyrieCommander wrote: I've seen that petition on 4chan before. In fact I'm half sure there was already a topic about it on here.

I might be wrong though.

wth is 4chan?

i will form my foot in your ass!

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 18:16:12

Just watch them mark down everyone who signed it. Plus when you legalize something it just gives people more of a reason to abuse it. Look at alcohol and how horribly abused it is. Alcoholism is a horrible disease that destroys many families, and takes many lives. If a kid has easy access to junk food that he likes guess what he will be eating! I bet most of you will read this and say well that's their choice. Well ya, you are right about that, but it would be irresponsible of people who know the inevitable outcome. I have nothing against it because I partake. I use it for medicine. Most people just do it because its fun, or they want to be cool. Those people give it a bad rap. So before you sign the petition I'd like you to think about other people for just one moment. Maybe realize this isn't the best option.

rar

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 18:43:29

At 10/19/11 06:00 PM, Jedi-Master wrote: I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic with me now. If you're not being sarcastic with me, then I'll just have to say that what you suggest won't be a good idea at all. Rehabilitation is the answer, not incarceration or fining people.

I bet crippling fines would probably be a pretty good deterrent, to be honest. It would destroy the ability to buy drugs, among other things. Also, decent source of revenue for the government.

What? How is that a valid reason to prohibit anything? That's a good reason to prohibit a drug in your opinion? Whatever.

It is a plenty valid reason. If something is not providing anything to society beyond death and violence, it ought to be banned, pure and simple.

And by the way, people have and do benefit socially from alcohol all of the time. It is a social drug.

Inebriation is an impairment.

So are many medications when people overdose on them. Should we outlaw medications too?

Prescription drugs have a very tangible benefit -- they save lives. Though they are capable of causing addiction in some cases, the positives outweigh the negatives. Alcohol/other drugs destroy lives, and have no positives.

This isn't even a valid reason to outlaw anything. Wasting time doesn't hurt anyone. The government shouldn't decide what people should do with their time in the form of prohibition of certain substances or activities.

In combination with the other factors, this is definitely a valid point. If something is

1. Harmful
2. Without benefit
3. A waste of time

It ought to be banned.

Legally, you can't even define "wasting time."

Yes you can. If it provides no social benefit, and causes people to die, it is inherently a waste of time.

So are cars in general. Should we outlaw cars now?

Cars are not the cause of accidents in cases of drunk driving. Drunk drivers are the the cause in those cases. If a car manufacturer is creating something substandard, I'm all for more regulation, but that's beside the point.

And again I will tell you that prohibition won't work.

Just because it didn't work once, doesn't mean that it won't work if implemented properly.

So what? If people want to harm their own lungs, let them do so. They're not hurting anyone else.

It is harmful to people around them as well for a number of reasons including but not limited to secondhand smoke and the resulting impairment (after all, marijuana is a depressant just like alcohol).

And besides, you say that others in the vicinity of these weed smokers will have their lungs damaged as well. Not true for the most part. People who smoke weed tend to do it in the privacy of their own homes or any place else where they won't be seen. As such, other people likely won't suffer any lung damage from weed smoke.

Kids. I hear of and see parents all the time who smoke in front of their kids, particularly in lower class neighborhoods.

Pre-emptively?

Yes, banning drugs before their danger is manifest.

The thing is, these drugs are not dangers to society for the most part.

Disagreed.

Fun fact: the death penalty has been proven to be an ineffective deterrent against people who have committed murder and/or rape.

I don't at all believe in the death penalty. The number of cases of mistaken identity and wrongful execution are staggering. It's better to free a guilty person than execute an innocent one.

This little fact proves your assertion wrong. And besides, imposing harsher penalties isn't a realistic and effective approach to the problem.

Fines represent an effective middle ground.

Moreover, harsher penalties would make prisons overcrowded, which makes for unsanitary conditions and forces judges to compel city, county, and/or state prisons to release these same offenders who were incarcerated for drug offenses.

I've said imprisonment is not the solution. "Harsher penalties" refers to fines.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 18:47:43

So little weed, so much time.

What to do, what to do...

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 18:55:45

We have wars, revolutions, recession, and a debt crisis to deal with and you're actually wasting your time with this nonsense? Priorities people.

"Communism is the very definition of failure." - Liberty Prime.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 19:05:00

At 10/19/11 06:47 PM, Lorkas wrote: So little weed, so much time.

What to do, what to do...

Easy.

Smoke weed to slow down time. When time is slow, smoke more weed!

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 19:13:17

This is what happens

Where's the pickle?

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 19:29:41

At 10/19/11 06:43 PM, Bolo wrote:
1. Harmful
2. Without benefit
3. A waste of time

Alright, let's ban thinking, it doesn't benefit anyone, and it can be criminal thought, and it can be a waste of time if no conclusion is made. Seriously, how fucking stupid do you think we would have to be to ban things with that. That would be like bringing back the 1800s.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Petition To Legalize Marijuana, Usa 2011-10-19 19:30:35

I actually support this. Maybe then kids will stop bragging about doing it.....

BBS Signature