New Topic Respond to this Topic
AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:09:24 Reply

I recently made a lengthy drive across my state (Virginia) and took note of how its mostly stretches of uninhabited land. Miles and miles of hills and forests and mountains with nothing in or around them. And even the major cities in the state generally have plenty of empty space surrounding them. Not to mention at my own home even I have a nice sized front and back yard and just out of the neighborhood are mountains and forests.

And I can only imagine the farther west in the US you go, the more spread out and spacious the land becomes.

Now I've never been to Europe, and obviously uneducated on its exact population density and geography, but it would appear densely populated with many different countries sharing small areas of land.. And I've of course seen pictures and videos of the major cities and to be honest it just looks so cramped.

Do you Europeans ever feel cramped or claustrophobic? DO you wish you had more space? Or am I wrong and outside of the big cities, there is plenty of space?

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:10:48 Reply

Actually, if you kept going, you would have found farms, lots and lots of farms, and then sub-urbs, then large cities

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
JonWB2005
JonWB2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:13:38 Reply

I've got enough room to fire my sniper rifles in my backyard

i live in texas tho

i'm getting paid to pester you all muwhahaha

norfor22
norfor22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:14:24 Reply

You can cross my country in 6-7 hours(north to south) or roughly 10 minutes(in it's narrowest part) to 1.5 hours(widest).

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:15:36 Reply

I've never felt cramped and I lived in a city which had a much higher population than most small countries.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:15:38 Reply

Having been born in England and lived there for 22 years, I can say that yes, it's phenomenally cramped. The country is just overpopulated beyond belief.

Travelling around England is a nightmare. The traffic is horrific. It can take an hour just to travel 15 miles sometimes. It's even worse when using public transport; to catch the bus into town I had to allow an hour for travelling because there was no guarantee it would get there any sooner.

Towns and cities are crowded; you can't walk around at your own leisure because everywhere is just wall-to-wall bodies. Any public space is just heaving. Bars, restaurants, clubs, etc., are all crammed.

Everything is small; houses and roads are as tiny and narrow as possible. There becomes problems with litter and vermin because there are too many people producing too much waste and rubbish in such crammed environments. Since moving to Canada I've only been ill once, whereas all the Canadians around me catch illnesses from each other all the time, and it's probably because my immune system is so used to being surrounded by other people and their filthy retarded children.

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:23:49 Reply

tecksans UNITEE EIENIDE

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Shadria
Shadria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:24:16 Reply

No, I don't really feel cramped. I guess my country is all too densely populated anyway.

BBS Signature
SouthAsian
SouthAsian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 18:34:56 Reply

I always thought Europe would be more densely packed.Eastern Europe not so much especially Russia, since Western/North Western Europe is so economically viable all the people will be there.But I totally feel you when mentioning how Virginia is really sparse.I live in Northern Virginia which is a lot more suburban/urban and even then you can still find a very easy time finding an empty field to chill out in.Its great.

All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 19:02:46 Reply

Being on a train in Germany from Wolfsburg to Frankfurt, I've seen plenty of farmland and forests while looking out the window. Europe probably has about as much free land as we do, sure they have 30% more people but they also build considerably higher density than we do in America. Wolfsburg has about 100,000 yet a city of similar area in the US probably only has 35,000 people.

saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 19:05:26 Reply

I live in Massachusetts. So i'm obviously not living in Europe, but I will provide what it's like in Massachusetts.

Suburbs. My town has about 50,000 people living in it. Not too dense, and not like Kansas or anything.

BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 19:53:27 Reply

We have plenty beautiful landscapes in germany. Of course we had to fill up the craters you assholes left first.

just kidding

BBS Signature
Me-Patch
Me-Patch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 21:43:47 Reply

I too have been impressed by the realization that my state is just forest and farmland outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. I like it that way though. It's a shame they're going to destroy the entire state to get to the Marcellus Shale.

Pennsylvania: It was nice while it lasted.

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 22:04:54 Reply

At 10/17/11 09:43 PM, Me-Patch wrote: I too have been impressed by the realization that my state is just forest and farmland outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. I like it that way though. It's a shame they're going to destroy the entire state to get to the Marcellus Shale.

Pennsylvania: It was nice while it lasted.

WTF are you talking about? Marcellus Sha------... Rock. Of course, PA has epic building material right under my feet. Blasting and shit isn't so bad here, though. You should hear the stories I've heard about townsfolk down South of us who get corporations blasting their mountain land and shit. Bad mojo, man.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Me-Patch
Me-Patch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 22:21:49 Reply

At 10/17/11 10:04 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: WTF are you talking about? Marcellus Sha------... Rock.

Marcellus Shale, Marcellus Rock, Marcellus Formation, all acceptable.

Of course, PA has epic building material right under my feet. Blasting and shit isn't so bad here, though. You should hear the stories I've heard about townsfolk down South of us who get corporations blasting their mountain land and shit. Bad mojo, man.

Yeah, if you live in an area without drilling sites count yourself lucky. There are thousands now. If you drive through the state with your eyes open you can't miss them, or the anti-fracking protest signs.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-17 23:40:22 Reply

My stepdad went to Germany and he never mentioned it being cramped. But, he did say that Germans build "upwards" to save space much more than we do and people tend to not own as much land.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Garage
Garage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 00:00:30 Reply

I noticed for the first time that you spelled "Europeans" incorrectly.

That is all. I really don't want to be here.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 00:29:10 Reply

I personally don't find it cramped here in England. I guess it can feel that way in London but then in the US its the same for big cities, a lot worse actually.

What I like is that a 2 or 3 hour drive is long for us here. In the US that is like nothing and dirving from one state to the other can take fucking hours and hours.

And speaking to American kids before about their struggles to get jobs or go to school sometimes or meet friends due to how bad public transport is there or because they're not within walking distance of these things, well I'm quite glad for my little old island.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
nerdking
nerdking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 00:35:34 Reply

I live in North Carolina and if i walked out of my house right now and looked in all four cardinal directions i would see nothing but farmland and trees, its really not that great, especially if you have a irrational fear of insects like i do because there FUCKING EVERYWHERE.

sig

Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 00:56:44 Reply

At 10/17/11 06:09 PM, AlphaCentauri wrote: Miles and miles of hills and forests and mountains with nothing in or around them.

If you look at my town, Stafford, from an aerial view most of it just looks like empty forested areas. Even the majority of my house seems to be hidden by trees. So you never know

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 01:03:04 Reply

My country is denser than most european countires (even more than india) but i've never felt "cramped". There are a lot of towns that used to be agricultural communites and have yet been appreciably more inhabited. On the other hand, there are ridiculously overpopulated metropolitan areas. You need to know where to live.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 11:39:42 Reply

At 10/18/11 12:29 AM, Gagsy wrote: What I like is that a 2 or 3 hour drive is long for us here. In the US that is like nothing and dirving from one state to the other can take fucking hours and hours.

I've always thought it ould be quite the experience to drive 2 hours and be in a totally different country with different culture and language rather then just a different part of my own state.

And speaking to American kids before about their struggles to get jobs or go to school sometimes or meet friends due to how bad public transport is there or because they're not within walking distance of these things, well I'm quite glad for my little old island.

That rings pretty true. Is it common for teens/young adults to have cars? Cause walking distance is a huge factor but once your old enough to drive here that kinda of goes out the window.

At 10/17/11 06:15 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: its crowded

This is more of what I had pictured. Shitty crowded and miserable. However, its a Big contrast to what Gagsy speaks of is this personal preference or just different parts f England?

At 10/17/11 07:02 PM, All-American-Badass wrote: Being on a train in Germany from Wolfsburg to Frankfurt, I've seen plenty of farmland and forests while looking out the window. Europe probably has about as much free land as we do, sure they have 30% more people but they also build considerably higher density than we do in America. Wolfsburg has about 100,000 yet a city of similar area in the US probably only has 35,000 people.

Just seems strange to me they wouldn't try to spread out a little. If the land is there, why not make use of it?

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
notahero
notahero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 11:44:25 Reply

Don't you forget you stole those land from the true owners :D

Teddyriffic
Teddyriffic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 11:44:51 Reply

Well in Ireland there is an average population density . There is quite a lot of countryside but there are many small towns scattered in between major cities

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 11:45:55 Reply

At 10/18/11 11:39 AM, AlphaCentauri wrote:
This is more of what I had pictured. Shitty crowded and miserable. However, its a Big contrast to what Gagsy speaks of is this personal preference or just different parts f England?

I think more than anything different parts of England. My town by no means is small, it's nowhere near city size but it has everything we need here for shopping, entertainment, experiences. Of course the traffic in the daytime sucks but I accept that. I've never thought of it as 'crowded' though. I like that currently out in my street there are several kids in the road just playing. Quite noisy little fuckers sometimes but I like that kids can just be safe in their street playing with other kids from the same street.

I imagine if I ever visited or moved to the US or Canada I would think "Wow England was cramped" or something, but then maybe I might feel it's not cramped enough. I don't know. But yeah the UK is like completely different form one end to another. So we all experience it differently. Me living in a place that has everything a person needs without it being cramped like a city and still with very good public transport is probably why I see it as a positive thing.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 12:12:04 Reply

I think the country where I live is pretty cramped up for American standards. 17 million people on a 200 km by 300 km large piece of land and then half of this population is centered on the west side of the country where I was born.

I don't feel claustrophobic about it though. You'll get used to the crowdedness and it's convenient that everything is close by and I never have to drive hours upon hours to get anywhere. Though I do always appreciate the space in countries and areas which do not have such a dense population.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 13:53:43 Reply

From what I understand, houses here in the UK are built less than half the size of an average American house. Semi detached houses are probably the most common type over here. Feels bad man.

Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Europeons: Feel Cramped? 2011-10-18 14:06:28 Reply

I just moved from Australia to England, it is cramped. Mind you, Australia is over a thousand miles between each major city... about 3000 miles between Perth and my old hometown of Gold Coast.

UK is absolutely tiny in comparison, with 3 times more people. The only problem is, getting from one side to another takes forever due to the fact that it's so cramped. In Australia we literally have highways just going from one side to another.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature