Support NATA 2014
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Do sound cards? Oct. 16th, 2011 @ 11:56 PM Reply

Do sound cards and motherboard sound cards all sound the same?

Do they produce different quality? I'm wondering if I should stick with having my 5.1 logitech speakers in my Creative Sound Blaster 24 bit live sound card or plug them in my motherboard Asus M4A79XTD EVO VIA® VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 12:02 AM Reply

No they don't all sound the same. There wouldn't even be a market for sound cards if they were the same.

If they sound better and clearer through your soundcard, keep them plugged in. If they don't, plug them into your motherboard. If there's no difference, buy some more ram.

hey

BBS Signature
Garage
Garage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 12:11 AM Reply

At 10/17/11 12:02 AM, Crink wrote: If they sound better and clearer through your soundcard, keep them plugged in. If they don't, plug them into your motherboard.

This. Instead of looking at specs, it's much simpler to simply experiment to find what sounds best.

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 12:32 AM Reply

Weird thing is, my motherboards sound sounded insanely great when I briefly installed Snow Leopard on my pc!! Hackintosh! But maybe its because the person who made the welcome intro to hazards snow leopard just had nice music that brought the best out of my speakers in general?

Garage
Garage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 10/17/11 12:32 AM, TheKlown wrote: But maybe its because the person who made the welcome intro to hazards snow leopard just had nice music that brought the best out of my speakers in general?

Why not use one audio sample and eliminate an extra variable to test while you're at it?

I'd attach facepalm.jpg but it just isn't worth it.

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 01:31 AM Reply

At 10/16/11 11:56 PM, TheKlown wrote: Do sound cards and motherboard sound cards all sound the same?

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I'm in the process of building a new computer and currently wondering if I need a sound card.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 02:17 AM Reply

I think my sound played better on the mac then it did on windows. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

SlayerX3
SlayerX3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 10:46 AM Reply

This was really true about 10/20 years ago, when common motherboards didn't fully support onboard sound cards and had to rely on dedicated PCI or ISA soundcards.

Today most integrated onboard sound cards do just fine for listening music even if you want a good sound definition, so having a good set of speakers or headphones along with the compression and format of the audio files do have more of an impact than the soundcards on your motherboard.

But if you are that kind of enthusiast that really really believes his ASUS Xonar Essence simply makes his music sound better no matter the format it is, just go ahead.

Now if you are musician and works with recording and high definition sound editing, getting a dedicated soundboard is advised.

TL;DR: Soundset (AKA: Headphones, speakers) matter more than the soundboard, unless you want to record high quality shit.

Did yo just lost The GAME ?

BBS Signature
SlayerX3
SlayerX3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 10:56 AM Reply

At 10/17/11 02:17 AM, TheKlown wrote: I think my sound played better on the mac then it did on windows. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Be more specific, it was in the Operating system (Windows, OSX, Linux ubuntu) or the computer (pre-built Apple Mac, Dell, HP, Asus) or the assembled build ?

If the former, probably it was due to software (Assuming you had a Mac running windows and then switched back to OSX), or did you listen in a mac and then in another PC ? In that case the speakers of the Mac were less shitty than the PC's.

Did yo just lost The GAME ?

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 10/17/11 12:02 AM, Crink wrote: No they don't all sound the same. There wouldn't even be a market for sound cards if they were the same.

If they sound better and clearer through your soundcard, keep them plugged in. If they don't, plug them into your motherboard. If there's no difference, buy some more ram.

This guy knows what he's talking about. It's like saying "do CDR's really work?"

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 58
Programmer
Response to Do sound cards? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 11:31 AM Reply

At 10/17/11 12:02 AM, Crink wrote: No they don't all sound the same. There wouldn't even be a market for sound cards if they were the same.

Snake Oil... Same as ridiculously priced HDMI cables and the likes.

Digital is digital, either it sounds right or it doesn't. If your Mobo has built in audio output, I would certainly not recommend upgrading to a dedicated sound card.

I also don't see what RAM has to do with anything. But ho hum.

This is worthy of great debate amongst audiophiles, but to the average Joe you won't hear any difference. (I don't believe there is any difference, either, but that's what's up for debate)

#coys

BBS Signature