Be a Supporter!

The concept of Marriage

  • 1,147 Views
  • 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 10:47 PM Reply

So lately I've been reading articles that question whether the concept of marriage is an out-of-date ideal. I personally could not be more offended by that. So I would like to make a few points:

1. Many people believe that the concept of marriage is becoming out-of-date.
Fact: Most of the people who believe this are under the age of 30, mostly college students who are part of the entitlement generation who go to school on their parent's dime to get degrees in Women's Studies and Liberal Arts, and then join stupid movements like occupy wall street. They blame everyone under the sun because they spent their parent's money getting a degree that is worthless for anything but teaching and now can't find a job. These people are usually children of the "Free Love" generation who hopefully are all almost dead and have diluted themselves into believing that they're going to be the next Charlie Sheen with women parading around them, when most of them would be lucky to find one willing to do that.

2. Marriage is a joke and mostly ends in divorce.
True... sadly. If you take a look at hollywood and a basement sale bitch like Jennifer Lopez whos married everyone under the Sun, yes Marriage is taken for granted. But also look at the statistics, most people these days are getting married too young, or for the wrong reasons. Getting married right out of college or even to your college sweetie is never a good idea (take it from someone who knows). Also, of these people who end in divorce don't seem to look at the long term consequences or take the vows they take seriously.
Plus let us not forget, infidelity is less of a crime these days. Where once it would have gotten you blugeoned to death with rocks, now no one bats an eye at it.

3. Marriage serves no purpose.
Anyone who tells you this is a complete moron! Consider this: If people just went about humping anything with a pulse like hippies used to, the human race would have died out from STDs, plagues, and epidemics years ago. Marriage (if taken seriously) ties you to a compatable partner for life and helps prevent the spread of such diseases.
Also, marriage (again if taken seriously) is a spiritual, symbiotic bond that strengthens two people for the rest of their lives.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
Ozcar
Ozcar
  • Member since: May. 12, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 10:47 PM, StCyril wrote:

Been there...done that... best years of my life....

3. Marriage serves no purpose.

What about a LEGAL purpose?
Try to find out why gay couples try and GET married everyday...

Autokrator
Autokrator
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

i can't say i disagree

glad to see someone standing up for traditional values


I have a message for the political elites in Washington, D.C. The United States of America is not going to become the United States of Europe, not on our watch. - HERMAN CAIN

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 10:52 PM Reply

I think the concept of marriage in our civilisation harks back to the time when humans were traded and kept as property, hence the tradition of the father "giving away" his daughter at her wedding so that she would go from belonging to the dad to belonging to the husband. And I'm fundamentally opposed to the ownership of people, so I'm opposed to the concept of marriage on those grounds. But, I believe in freedom, so I think if two people want to get married, they should have every right to do so, provided the act of getting marriage does not infringe upon the rights of either individual.

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 10:54 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 10:47 PM, StCyril wrote: So lately I've been reading articles that question whether the concept of marriage is an out-of-date ideal. I personally could not be more offended by that.

Stopped reading right there. Seriously, that's incredibly offensive to you? Get married if you want, fuck everyone else.


[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:00 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 10:50 PM, Autokrator wrote: i can't say i disagree

glad to see someone standing up for traditional values

Seriously, this is the legacy of the hippie age:

Moral Corruption
Acting like a freak became socially acceptable
Traditions and Values no longer sacred
Spreading of STDs like Wild Fire!
Making it fashionable to assault our heroes as they come home to see their families as a form of protest.

The day the last member of the Free Love generation dies out, I will personally crack open the bottle of KGV Blue Label Johnny Walker that my dad gave me, and toast the end of the generation that set civilization back 100 years and gave birth to the entitlement generation.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:03 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:00 PM, StCyril wrote:
At 10/14/11 10:50 PM, Autokrator wrote:

Lol butthurt fascists

The concept of Marriage

StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:05 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:00 PM, StCyril wrote: Seriously, this is the legacy of the hippie age:
Moral Corruption

Example No. 1:

At 10/14/11 10:50 PM, Autokrator wrote:
Lol butthurt fascists

Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:00 PM, StCyril wrote: Seriously, this is the legacy of the hippie age:

Moral Corruption

Morality is subjective.

Acting like a freak became socially acceptable

Where do you personally draw the line between what is socially acceptable and what isn't?

Traditions and Values no longer sacred

Tradition is an alibi of imperialism.
"Values" are subjective.

Spreading of STDs like Wild Fire!

Promiscuity outdates the sixties by millennia.

Making it fashionable to assault our heroes as they come home to see their families as a form of protest.

The assault of anyone isn't tolerated by our society and you know it.

The day the last member of the Free Love generation dies out, I will personally crack open the bottle of KGV Blue Label Johnny Walker that my dad gave me, and toast the end of the generation that set civilization back 100 years and gave birth to the entitlement generation.

Wow you're a tool

Sanch
Sanch
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:09 PM Reply

1. Many people believe that the concept of marriage is becoming out-of-date.
Fact: Most of the people who believe this are under the age of 30, mostly college students who are part of the entitlement generation who go to school on their parent's dime to get degrees in Women's Studies and Liberal Arts, and then join stupid movements like occupy wall street

got proof for this claim?

2. Marriage is a joke and mostly ends in divorce.
True... sadly. If you take a look at hollywood and a basement sale bitch like Jennifer Lopez whos married everyone under the Sun, yes Marriage is taken for granted. But also look at the statistics, most people these days are getting married too young, or for the wrong reasons.

proof?

(take it from someone who knows)

everything about you screams unfunny troll so i highly doubt you know anything about relationships. i doubt you're out of high school

3. Marriage serves no purpose.
Anyone who tells you this is a complete moron! Consider this: If people just went about humping anything with a pulse like hippies used to, the human race would have died out from STDs, plagues, and epidemics years ago. Marriage (if taken seriously) ties you to a compatable partner for life and helps prevent the spread of such diseases.

nope genetics doesn't work that way

modern advances in medicine, sex education, etc is the reason we do not die out from those things. even in places that have historically been very poor still have exploding populations (eg africa) even though the concept of monogamy is nowhere near as popular as in the west

actually thanks to the catholic church which is a huge supporter of traditional marriage, has directly increased deaths by taking an anti-safe sex stance

Also, marriage (again if taken seriously) is a spiritual, symbiotic bond that strengthens two people for the rest of their lives.

marriage isn't a spiritual bond, it's a legal one. a piece of paper doesn't mean anything


you talk a good one but u dont do what your supposed to do

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:05 PM, StCyril wrote:
At 10/14/11 11:00 PM, StCyril wrote: Seriously, this is the legacy of the hippie age:
Moral Corruption
Example No. 1:

At 10/14/11 10:50 PM, Autokrator wrote:
Lol butthurt fascists

Calling them as I see them and not being politically correct is not moral corruption.

Sanch
Sanch
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:00 PM, StCyril wrote: Seriously, this is the legacy of the hippie age:

Moral Corruption

seeing as how it was based on nonviolence, loving your neighbor, etc that's about the complete opposite. i like how you define 'morals' as 'what i believe in'

Acting like a freak became socially acceptable

countercultures have been around since the 1800s

Traditions and Values no longer sacred

lol

Spreading of STDs like Wild Fire!

like i already mentioned, if anyone is to blame for the most preventable deaths from STDs it's the catholic church or ronald reagan. AIDS devastated urban america while he didnt bother recognizing it

Making it fashionable to assault our heroes as they come home to see their families as a form of protest.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/0 9/gop-debate-audience-boos-gay-soldier/

in this video an american soldier serving overseas is booed for something he had no choice over / affects the audience in literally no way by republicans

The day the last member of the Free Love generation dies out, I will personally crack open the bottle of KGV Blue Label Johnny Walker that my dad gave me, and toast the end of the generation that set civilization back 100 years and gave birth to the entitlement generation.

no that would be the baby boomers


you talk a good one but u dont do what your supposed to do

BBS Signature
Sanch
Sanch
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:22 PM Reply

Also you have one shitty thread in which you bait people by being stupid which you haven't bothered to even reply to going, why make this one

literally every time i see you make a thread it's

1. talk a lot of dumb stuff
2. when someone actually challenges you, flame them
3. when they don't resort to flaming and instead point out how youre wrong, disappear


you talk a good one but u dont do what your supposed to do

BBS Signature
StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:26 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:07 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 10/14/11 11:00 PM, StCyril wrote: Seriously, this is the legacy of the hippie age:

Moral Corruption
Morality is subjective.

That's the argument the villain in a movie usually makes...

Where do you personally draw the line between what is socially acceptable and what isn't?

Where do I draw it? Look at hippies, their protests infringed on the rights of others, they made themselves look abnormal for no other reason then to stand out and they acted like idiots. THAT is where I draw the line at socially acceptable.

Tradition is an alibi of imperialism.
"Values" are subjective.

Again, movie villain.

Spreading of STDs like Wild Fire!
Promiscuity outdates the sixties by millennia.

That doesn't change the fact that the hippie age escalated it out of control and as a result large amounts of STDS were spread around.

The assault of anyone isn't tolerated by our society and you know it.

Then why aren't Jane Fonda, John Kerry, and everyone else who threw sheeps blood and spit at soldiers in jail?

Wow you're a tool

Maybe, but I am what I am, and that's ALL that I am... and I'm surprisingly ok with that.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:22 PM, Sanch wrote: Also you have one shitty thread in which you bait people by being stupid which you haven't bothered to even reply to going, why make this one

literally every time i see you make a thread it's

1. talk a lot of dumb stuff

where now? Have you seen my latest thread? And that one, I didn't make moron.

2. when someone actually challenges you, flame them

When, other then when someone attacks me with childish namecalling, when do I flame them?

3. when they don't resort to flaming and instead point out how youre wrong, disappear

Sanch, go fuck yourself ok. No one really care about what you say or think, NO ONE. So drop dead already. I don't get involved in really political debates anymore because I'm sick of getting banned for my opinions. I used to make threads about why British people suck and I'd be banned by the bias mods, however I'd see three threads about how the US sucks made by some bastard brit survive. I told Wade, but he obviously doesn't give a shit about the people he makes mods.

As per the Obama thread, I pointed out the truth, what i said was not wrong, but I have other things I want to do rather then post a ton of links that would refute every argument they put up there. I posted an argument and I'm leaving at that.

You are pathetic, worthless little hypocrite. You attack me for flaming, but look at most of your posts, that's all you do! You want me to stop? Lead by example! Most of the posts I've made since I came back after my last ban have been intellectual and I'm trying to actually come up with topics of interest, and if you take a look at my one on homosexuality, I think you'd see that. But no, you keep up with your angry rants, you are nothing but a lousy waste of genetic material that your mother really should have swallowed. You're scum and that's all you'll ever be. So go ahead and keep flaming. I will be ignoring your posts, enjoy flaming, because no one will be listening or paying attention and in the end all you'll be doing is making yourself look more like the scumbag you are.

Have a glorious day.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:37 PM, Natick wrote: I personally do want to ever be married. Maybe a long term relationship but not marriage because if it doesn't work out, I'm not giving up half of my stuff.

That's why you sign a prenup! ;)

And the funny thing is that I come from a long line of divorced men.

Fair enough. I get that marriage isnt for everyone. There are some people who enjoy the single life. I just think it's extreme for some people to come out and say that the entire concept of marriage is out of date.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:42 PM Reply

I agree with most of what you said but you're not really looking at this objectively. You're saying that people that think marriage isn't necessary are idiots and your reasoning behind them is pretty harsh. You say that they're dumb and major in liberal arts etc. Well that's not completely true. A lot of people of all kinds think the same thing. The only reason to not get married doesn't really mean that they want to have sex with everything that moves either. That's a horrible exaggeration.

True, marriage isn't taken nearly as seriously as it used to be. In this new progressive age it's not imperative to get married to be secure like it used to be. But there still are legal reasons behind marriage like insurance, child custody, and life insurance.

But yes, you do make a lot of valid points, they're just not worded very well.


PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157
You shouldn't have done that....
Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
tarahloveshentai
tarahloveshentai
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:42 PM Reply

This fucking sucks, I'm getting married this Wednesday, haha.


BBS Signature
Sanch
Sanch
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:47 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:26 PM, StCyril wrote: That's the argument the villain in a movie usually makes...

what does this even mean

Where do I draw it? Look at hippies, their protests infringed on the rights of others,

like who

they made themselves look abnormal for no other reason then to stand out and they acted like idiots. THAT is where I draw the line at socially acceptable.

wrong. the hippie movement was based on nonviolence against a government that had institutionalized racism and was fighting a war that no one wanted

also please show who 'they' is. 'they' doesn't work in an argument

Again, movie villain.

again, this means nothing

That doesn't change the fact that the hippie age escalated it out of control and as a result large amounts of STDS were spread around.

first off, please show me any proof that 'the hippie age' was directly responsible for increased levels of STDS

you're just blatantly lying

Then why aren't Jane Fonda, John Kerry, and everyone else who threw sheeps blood and spit at soldiers in jail?

what?

look at all the stupid made up bullshit in this one post that wasn't even addressed to me originally.

I don't get involved in really political debates anymore because I'm sick of getting banned for my opinions. I

uh yes you do, the entire reason i reply to you is because you say stupid political shit in the first place

You are pathetic, worthless little hypocrite. You attack me for flaming, but look at most of your posts, that's all you do! You want me to stop? Lead by example! Most of the posts I've made since I came back after my last ban have been intellectual and I'm trying to actually come up with topics of interest,

out of this thread and the last one you have backed up literally none of your statements or replied to anyone who is challenging them without resorting to name calling. you've already done it to me in this thread

i haven't insulted you once

you don't get banned because of your opinions, you get banned because you have the debating skill of a 12 year old


you talk a good one but u dont do what your supposed to do

BBS Signature
StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:42 PM, ZeldaFreak701 wrote: I agree with most of what you said but you're not really looking at this objectively. You're saying that people that think marriage isn't necessary are idiots and your reasoning behind them is pretty harsh. You say that they're dumb and major in liberal arts etc. Well that's not completely true. A lot of people of all kinds think the same thing. The only reason to not get married doesn't really mean that they want to have sex with everything that moves either. That's a horrible exaggeration.

Perhaps... I just remember seeing an interview a while back with these 20 year olds trying to back up a study about the invalidity of marriage saying this... since when are 20 year olds with greesy hair that can't even match when they dress the moral compass for the United states. Maybe not all of them are idiots, but the ones who use the arguments I refer to... I think are at the very least narrow minded.

True, marriage isn't taken nearly as seriously as it used to be.

I personally think the afore mentioned Hollywood contributed in no small way to this...

In this new progressive age it's not imperative to get married to be secure like it used to be. But there still are legal reasons behind marriage like insurance, child custody, and life insurance.

Very true, but there are other reasons as well which I mentioned earlier.

But yes, you do make a lot of valid points, they're just not worded very well.

Fair enough... I do get hot under the collar when mad.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
Sanch
Sanch
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:34 PM, StCyril wrote: where now? Have you seen my latest thread? And that one, I didn't make moron.

your latest thread in which you spam anti-gay propaganda?

i linked that thread because you dumped a giant bundle of text making a bunch of ridiculously wrong statements, derailing an already shitty thread, and didn't bother to reply to anyone who challenged it


you talk a good one but u dont do what your supposed to do

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:56 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:26 PM, StCyril wrote:
At 10/14/11 11:07 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Morality is subjective.
That's the argument the villain in a movie usually makes...

Ad hominem. And the fact that morality is subjective is irrefutable.

Where do you personally draw the line between what is socially acceptable and what isn't?
Where do I draw it? Look at hippies, their protests infringed on the rights of others, they made themselves look abnormal for no other reason then to stand out and they acted like idiots. THAT is where I draw the line at socially acceptable.

That was incredibly vague. I'm asking you to specify exactly what is socially acceptable and what isn't, in your opinion. Not just generalisations about groups of people.

Tradition is an alibi of imperialism.
"Values" are subjective.
Again, movie villain.

Again, ad hominem, and I've yet to see you refute why morality isn't subjective.

Promiscuity outdates the sixties by millennia.
That doesn't change the fact that the hippie age escalated it out of control and as a result large amounts of STDS were spread around.

Hippies didn't escalate STDs out of control, at all. People have been fucking each other on the sly for thousands of years before people like Marquis De Sade started making it public. The sex trade is the oldest profession in the history of mankind. Promiscuity is nothing new, and the hippy "free love" thing was just another point of view on the matter.

You are attempting to demonise a single group of people whose collective existence was relatively brief and blame them for problems we've been experiencing for as long as humans have been fucking one another (i.e. forever).

The assault of anyone isn't tolerated by our society and you know it.
Then why aren't Jane Fonda, John Kerry, and everyone else who threw sheeps blood and spit at soldiers in jail?

Because "jail" isn't the one-size-fits-all solution to everything that you apparently think it is.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 14th, 2011 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:56 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Again, ad hominem, and I've yet to see you refute why morality isn't subjective.

This should say either "explain why morality isn't subjective" or "refute why morality is subjective", I got distracted.

StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:11 AM Reply

At 10/14/11 11:56 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Ad hominem. And the fact that morality is subjective is irrefutable.

Ok fine, I'll accept that. What I try to do is base my morality on somewhat traditional values and a code of honor that is generally accepted and acceptable.

That was incredibly vague. I'm asking you to specify exactly what is socially acceptable and what isn't, in your opinion. Not just generalisations about groups of people.

Ok... I guess I can't make specifics. Perhaps the best example I can come up with is this kid in one of my college classes who wore a black trench coat over the same filthy pair of pajamas every day, never wore anything on his feet (even when there was snow on the ground.), had unnaturally black hair that was always greasy, smelled like strong BO and looked like he hadn't showered, looked like his skin hadn't seen the light of day in years, all the while calling the rest of us 'unenlightened mindless drones.' I won't say I found him socially unacceptable, to me, he was downright offensive to all 5 senses.

Tradition is an alibi of imperialism.
"Values" are subjective.

Maybe they are... but should they be? Think about it, you've got so many different values... if two of them clash, and neither one is accepted as wrong... that's kind of how wars have begun.


Promiscuity outdates the sixties by millennia.
That doesn't change the fact that the hippie age escalated it out of control and as a result large amounts of STDS were spread around.
Hippies didn't escalate STDs out of control, at all. People have been fucking each other on the sly for thousands of years before people like Marquis De Sade started making it public. The sex trade is the oldest profession in the history of mankind. Promiscuity is nothing new, and the hippy "free love" thing was just another point of view on the matter.
You are attempting to demonise a single group of people whose collective existence was relatively brief and blame them for problems we've been experiencing for as long as humans have been fucking one another (i.e. forever).

Some reading material on this point.

The assault of anyone isn't tolerated by our society and you know it.
Then why aren't Jane Fonda, John Kerry, and everyone else who threw sheeps blood and spit at soldiers in jail?
Because "jail" isn't the one-size-fits-all solution to everything that you apparently think it is.

So people who physically assault someone shouldn't go to jail because they're political figures? I'm sorry but anyone who physically harms another person really needs to be punished in some way, not go on to make millions and become icons.

At 10/14/11 11:42 PM, tarahloveshentai wrote: This fucking sucks, I'm getting married this Wednesday, haha.

Well congrats, many happy returns.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:18 AM Reply

I don't think marriage is as important as it used to be. I know several people or couples (all over 30 btw) who are quite content to just not get married. Most of them see it as a waste of money more than anything and they don't need to have a ring on their finger to be safe in the knowledge that they are partners and not about to stray.

Marriage can be seen as just a way to tie people (usually the husbands) down. It makes things harder when and if the relationship breaks apart.

The only glamourous part of a marriage tends to be the wedding anyway and that only lasts one day.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:21 AM Reply

At 10/15/11 12:11 AM, StCyril wrote:
At 10/14/11 11:56 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
Ok fine, I'll accept that. What I try to do is base my morality on somewhat traditional values and a code of honor that is generally accepted and acceptable.

Find me a person on this planet who wouldn't say the same thing about themselves.

Ok... I guess I can't make specifics. Perhaps the best example I can come up with is this kid in one of my college classes who wore a black trench coat over the same filthy pair of pajamas every day, never wore anything on his feet (even when there was snow on the ground.), had unnaturally black hair that was always greasy, smelled like strong BO and looked like he hadn't showered, looked like his skin hadn't seen the light of day in years, all the while calling the rest of us 'unenlightened mindless drones.' I won't say I found him socially unacceptable, to me, he was downright offensive to all 5 senses.

So you find things socially unacceptable because of their visceral properties, i.e. their appearance?

Maybe they are... but should they be? Think about it, you've got so many different values... if two of them clash, and neither one is accepted as wrong... that's kind of how wars have begun.

So why don't you put your money where your mouth is and subject yourself to someone else's morals and values, if "avoiding wars" is your primary concern?

I'm not saying this is what you SHOULD do, by any means, but you yourself just implied that it would fix the problem of war starting.

Some reading material on this point.

"This journalist agrees with me" is effectively what you just said.

So people who physically assault someone shouldn't go to jail because they're political figures?

I didn't say or suggest that in any way.

I'm sorry but anyone who physically harms another person really needs to be punished in some way, not go on to make millions and become icons.

What about the soldiers you insist on deifying? Oh right, THOSE people are fighting THE ENEMY, so it's ok. Cretin.

GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:28 AM Reply

sanch he's a troll

StCyril
StCyril
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:40 AM Reply

At 10/15/11 12:21 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: So you find things socially unacceptable because of their visceral properties, i.e. their appearance?

Appearance, smell, lack of hygene, standing out for the point of standing out? YES!

Maybe they are... but should they be? Think about it, you've got so many different values... if two of them clash, and neither one is accepted as wrong... that's kind of how wars have begun.
So why don't you put your money where your mouth is and subject yourself to someone else's morals and values, if "avoiding wars" is your primary concern?
I'm not saying this is what you SHOULD do, by any means, but you yourself just implied that it would fix the prblem of war starting.

Actually... I have. I spent a lot of time working with inner city kids and their morals and values... it really did change me to understand their side oft hings versus my own, and I agree with you, that's why I feel the way i do.

Some reading material on this point.
"This journalist agrees with me" is effectively what you just said.

I don't disagree with you that the free love generation didn't start the problem, but like fuel on a fire, it sure made it worse.

So people who physically assault someone shouldn't go to jail because they're political figures?
I didn't say or suggest that in any way.

I'm sorry but anyone who physically harms another person really needs to be punished in some way, not go on to make millions and become icons.
What about the soldiers you insist on deifying? Oh right, THOSE people are fighting THE ENEMY, so it's ok. Cretin.

THOSE people stand on a wall and say nothing is going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch. They leave their families and friends behind, risk their lives to... ironically defend people like John Kerry's right to act like a moron.


Best Thread Ever!
"I think StCyril deserves a Highfive for getting two threads made about him and half the BBS pissed off over nothing!" - Seeinthedark

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 12:42 AM Reply

Someone got rejected...


[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
OnionsXD
OnionsXD
  • Member since: Jul. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The concept of Marriage Oct. 15th, 2011 @ 01:00 AM Reply

I think for some marriage will do them good and for others it wont.

Personally, I have no interest in ever getting married. It's not for me.

Everyone is different. To each his own.

Don't think how you think about marriage is the right way. Just think of it as YOUR way.


Come check me out!