New Topic Respond to this Topic
descara
descara
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Recreating/identi fying synth sound Oct. 8th, 2011 @ 08:27 AM Reply

I'm writing a couple of tracks for a childrens game, and while messing around on my digital piano I found this really silly sound reminiscent of Pingu that I just fell in love and want to use for the project.

However, since I'd like to combine different synth sounds and do the mixing on my computer, using it is a bit cumbersome. So, synths not being my forte, I thought I'd ask NG what this manner of sound is called and how to recreate it with software synths/if there's any similar freeware synths.

Sound in question: http://soundcloud.com/desc/gigue-for-chi ldrens-game

Thanks in advance!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Recreating/identi fying synth sound Oct. 8th, 2011 @ 09:53 AM Reply

If you currently have no software to make music with and to play with synths, browse this (relatively outdated) guide, or google the word "DAW", first. Then when you're done, you can read the rest of my post, where I explain how you can recreate that kind of sound with pretty much any synth. Deal? :D

That's called an, um, typical analog synthie thing sound? Maybe it'll be classified as a brass sound. It's one of the simplest sounds you can make and you can do it with any synth that has a filter. The only parameters that matter are these:
1. Saw wave oscillator
2. Low-pass filter with cutoff somewhere between zero and halfway up, you can add a bit of resonance if you want
3. Filter envelope with a short attack (A) and a relatively short decay (D), make sure the envelope affects the filter cutoff somewhat, the knob with that function is called "amt" on this synth but it could also be called "envelope to cutoff" or something like that.

Then you add a chorus effect for a smoother sound.

Here's how it can be done with the Subtractor synth from Reason (minus the chorus part)

Recreating/identi fying synth sound

descara
descara
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Recreating/identi fying synth sound Oct. 8th, 2011 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 10/8/11 09:53 AM, SBB wrote:

It's one of the simplest sounds you can make and you can do it with any synth that has a filter. The only parameters that matter are these:

1. Saw wave oscillator
2. Low-pass filter with cutoff somewhere between zero and halfway up, you can add a bit of resonance if you want
3. Filter envelope with a short attack (A) and a relatively short decay (D), make sure the envelope affects the filter cutoff somewhat, the knob with that function is called "amt" on this synth but it could also be called "envelope to cutoff" or something like that.

Thanks. As mentioned, synths are very much not my forte, and while I'm remotely familiar with waveforms, ADSR envelope and the like I'm quite at loss when actually applying it practically. Well, I'm off to do some tweaking!

neolinked
neolinked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Recreating/identi fying synth sound Oct. 8th, 2011 @ 01:43 PM Reply

Envelopes control different parameters like the volume and the frequency of the sound. Attack being how fast the level is raised, sustain/hold how long the synth can be held for, and decay and release is how fast the level decreases. I hope I helped some what. If not you can do some research on basic synthesis.

Click pic for my best trance song

BBS Signature