New Topic Respond to this Topic
MushookieMan
MushookieMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
"Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 20:01:40 Reply

Why do I hear this line in anime so much? Does it come from a literal translation of a Japanese saying? Because I never hear anyone say "take responsibility" in real life.

Also, similarly, the phrase "What is this all of a sudden?" when the character is surprised about something (usually sexual lol).

BBS Signature
lawlmaster
lawlmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to "Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 20:05:50 Reply

Japanese people can't translate English very well?

A spear in your chest and a fire in your ass. I only play as Scorpion in MK games, because I'm that much of a fanboy.

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to "Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 20:52:34 Reply

Rarely do I even watch anime in English dubs so I wouldn't know, though if you find an example on youtube I'll look for it in the original Japanese and give you a better translation

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
MushookieMan
MushookieMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to "Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 20:55:25 Reply

At 10/4/11 08:52 PM, STEM wrote: Rarely do I even watch anime in English dubs so I wouldn't know, though if you find an example on youtube I'll look for it in the original Japanese and give you a better translation

I watch subs and dubs and I'm pretty certain that I've seen it in both. I've also seen it in manga. I think it must come from an actual Japanese saying or sentiment.

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to "Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 20:59:41 Reply

At 10/4/11 08:55 PM, MushookieMan wrote: I watch subs and dubs and I'm pretty certain that I've seen it in both. I've also seen it in manga. I think it must come from an actual Japanese saying or sentiment.

Which is why I'm curious for you to give me an example so I can literally translate it from the original Japanese :P if they're saying "inseki(suru)" in the original Japanese then yea that would translate directly to "take responsibility"

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to "Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 21:06:52 Reply

also the translation "what is this [all of a sudden]" stems from popular empty phrases in anime, and their occurrence can passively indicate a lack of strong plot. You'll see it more in Naruto and Bleach than you will in something like Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop. The actual Japanese will be something like "kore wa nani" "nanda are wa..." "itai nani wo..." etc

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to "Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 21:09:01 Reply

At 10/4/11 08:59 PM, STEM wrote:
Which is why I'm curious for you to give me an example so I can literally translate it from the original Japanese :P if they're saying "inseki(suru)" in the original Japanese then yea that would translate directly to "take responsibility"

If only the college I am going to offered Japanese all year round rather than just during June and July.

<33/Request Reviews/Review Request Club / #9 Reviewer / #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to "Take responsibility" 2011-10-04 21:15:05 Reply

At 10/4/11 09:09 PM, SCTE3 wrote: If only the college I am going to offered Japanese all year round rather than just during June and July.

To be honest, the only school worth learning Japanese at would be Middlebury, you'll be pretty much fluent in 1 summer there.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature