New Topic Respond to this Topic
Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-03 09:19:43 Reply

Hi, my new EP 'Brainfunk' is officially released today, digitally via Herb Recordings & on Limited Edition CD & Mini CD.

For anyone interested in purchasing the digital version here's a discount code that entitles the user to 25% off the usual price: kbfunk

Listen in full & buy it now by visiting: kingbastardmusic.com

Press Release:

The Bastard is back! & this time he's serving up some glitch-infused, funk-flavoured treats for your delectation.

Brainfunk draws its sound & inspiration from Kingbastard fusing his unique brand of Electronica with the psychedelic, colourful stylings of smoky 70's funk records and their hypnotic, kaleidoscopic sounds. However, don't be fooled into thinking this is a 'sample-driven' work. The riffs & hooks found adorning these tracks are originals, written, performed & recorded by the bastard himself. (Ok, apart from the narration on track 3;)

Brainfunk showcases Kingbastard's penchant for melody, riffs & rhythm. The six tracks are an eclectic, funkadelic brew of multi-instrumental, home-grown sounds & arrangements.

'Brainstorm' kicks off proceedings with a brooding atmospheric intro and evolving, intertwining melodies, underscored with progressive percussion; the track crescendos with aplomb & is rounded off with an irresistibly catchy funk-glitch coda.
'I Caught the Sun' is sun-drenched lo-fi that shimmers & sparkles, glitches & glistens, before KB's playful side is fully exposed on the infectious & strangely informative 'KingBee's Waggle Dance'.
'The Sunshine Skank' fuses funk & glitch & is best served hot on a dub-plate, whilst 'Out To Lunch' kicks-back, takes a break & mellows the mood for the final track, the superb 'You Float My Boat', a slice of laid-back, smoky funk, with Kingbastard's deft production techniques, musicianship & vocal skills on show.

Brainfunk continues Kingbastard's stellar & diverse output on Herb Recordings & once again shows he transcends classification, refusing to be pigeonholed.

[Herb Recordings]

Hope you enjoy

KB

New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-03 09:25:58 Reply

PS: There's a track taken from the EP called 'Out To Lunch' available for download on my Newgrounds page: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 47286

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-03 15:25:31 Reply

Congrats on the new album :)

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-03 15:47:10 Reply

Must have. Now.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-03 17:12:21 Reply

Hey man you should post a nice picture of the packaging. I loved it!

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-03 23:10:05 Reply

Rest of album better be as good as the first track. I'm totally into it, and loving the cleanliness of the production.

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-04 00:06:55 Reply

1 - Brainfunk

The very beginning made me jump a bit, although I think it should be kept there simply for poetic justice. Sadly, starting out a song with such a high edge will inevitably throw off people from the track. Perhaps it would be better to start it with a quick fade in. Everything else was fantastic. I think this song can be described as an orgasm of Psychedelic Industrial Funk, brainfunk if you will. I loved the sounds you used in this. Do you use kits, or do you record your own from scratch? I also would love to see a simple tutorial on what VSTs you use and how you create such awesome, clean percussion in such a harmoized atmosphere. Properly mastered and put together in an array of color and electronica brain mashing. Nice job.

2 - I Caught The Sun

Transitions nicely from the first song, Brainfunk. Your use of glitch techniques really catches my ear here. I love your 8-bit, industrial, glitch, electronica funk blasting from my headphones right now. Around 2:25, I was pretty sure my brain came and it came out my mouth. I drooled a bit, metaphorically speaking. I am starting to DJ at local clubs and I would love to see the crowds reaction to glitch Industrial shit. This is a sick combination of sound effects, of children even, to an awesome psychedelically influenced sex. Sex and children in the same sentence? You bet.

3 - KingBee's Waggle Dance

I am assuming that you wanted to try mixing the sound of a bee to a seemingly 80s influenced / neo-electronica glitch pop. I always laugh at your voice samples. Was that from that movie where the Doctor can speak to animals? It sure sounds like it. I like the feel of this song. Your use of live instruments combined with electronically created sounds is awesome. You always seem to find an ingenious way of plugging in sound effects anywhere and give it a Bastardizing feel. I want to play this in my car while cruising down the road on a long trip or something. Sounds so chill yet so chaotic. I love it.

4 - Out to Lunch

Continuing the psychedelic feel from track three, but at a slower tempo, I begin to feel a bit more relaxed and start to bob my head and smile. Oh man, that beat is smooth and creamy. Nice bitcrushing! What the fuck. You used a guitar, solely for sound effects from the sound it makes when you switch choords? Dude. High five. Way to use an instrument originally. I feel a progression of glitch funk electronica to glitch funk psychedelic smooth and creamy 80esque filth... good filth.

5 - The Sunshine Skank

Yes. That bass man. Those edgy sounds. That white noise. This surfer beach sounding guitar straight out of rock lobster. The sunshine skank? What a fucking ingenious title name hahaha. I can picture some chick running around the beach naked around a camp fire, flirting with all the guys just so she can see them surf on the waves. She must get a lot of free hot dogs and ice cream cones. This reminds me of the 80s again. Im 19, why does this remind me of a time period I've never been to? I guess your music just brings me there, while keeping me in the undergound glitchcore of the present.

6 - You Float My Boat

This one has the funkiest tune out of any of them. I want to start listening to oldschool funk now. That melody of yours is so creamy and sexy. Did you sample it or make it up yourself? Holy shit, those vocals go very well with this mix. You transition nicely from sound to sound while maintaining a well balanced structure. Nice voice you got there. In fact, I was wondering if I could use it in my next composition "Life is Just a Dream" for my upcoming ambient / drone atmospherical emotional BS album haha. Your voice would be perfect for it. Man, your really fucking good at sampling your voice and mixing the hell out of it. I love how you take little clips of sounds and mix them into percussiuon noises for back beats of back beats with more back beats that turn into lead beat and yeaaaaahhhh.

All in all this album was an orgasmic mixture of glitch, funk, pop, and radioactive decay from the classic kingbastard mixed with oldschool beach rock and sexy guitar samples that remind me of a tripped out rock lobster on industrial cocaine. Buy it if you want some brain sex and fun times.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-04 00:10:33 Reply

Oh yeah, and I totally bought this album in physical form. This packaging is like, "woh bro I stole this from an art musuem and aliens planted eggs in my brain" if you have any idea what I mean.

New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-04 03:35:43 Reply

At 10/4/11 12:10 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Oh yeah, and I totally bought this album in physical form. This packaging is like, "woh bro I stole this from an art musuem and aliens planted eggs in my brain" if you have any idea what I mean.

You got a blue one?

also wrong proportions, it's a cute mini-cd

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-04 07:27:48 Reply

At 10/4/11 03:35 AM, SBB wrote:
At 10/4/11 12:10 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Oh yeah, and I totally bought this album in physical form. This packaging is like, "woh bro I stole this from an art musuem and aliens planted eggs in my brain" if you have any idea what I mean.
You got a blue one?

also wrong proportions, it's a cute mini-cd

There are 2 cd versions, 1 'normal sized' Limited Edition CD which is what the artwork above is taken from & the Mini CD which doesn't have all the elaborate packaging;)

Thanks to the people above for the kind words and stuff;)

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-04 09:17:14 Reply

here's a larger version on the Ltd Ed CD Artwork/Packaging...

Kingbastard - Brainfunk [Limited Edition CD] [Artwork/Packaging]

commandab
commandab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-05 15:17:00 Reply

i enjoyed the album art

Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-05 23:30:25 Reply

Holy shit.... this first track is amazing. I'm thinking I want this album now.

bork bork bork

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-06 04:45:58 Reply

At 10/5/11 11:30 PM, Xyresic wrote: Holy shit.... this first track is amazing. I'm thinking I want this album now.

Thanks very much;)

If you do decide to buy the digital version then make use of the discount code: kbfunk
which will get you 25% off;)

It's active till next monday.

KB

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-10-24 14:16:23 Reply

Howdy.

Currently I have one track from my new Brainfunk EP (Out To Lunch) up for free download, both on my Newgrounds page & on my own site.

Once the number of 'Facebook Likes' reaches 150 on my Brainfunk Homepage a second track will be made available for free...

Thanks to those who have bought the Brainfunk CD & Digital release, & to all those who've been listening either on my site or here @ Newgrounds, much appreciated.

[Currently the CD is out of stock, but a new batch is being produced and will be available again soon.]

All the best

KB

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-11-02 11:24:41 Reply

UPDATE:

The 150 'Likes' target was reached today [2nd Nov] so the track 'The Sunshine Skank' from my Brainfunk EP is available to download for free from my site in your choice of high quality format...
Brainfunk: 'The Sunshine Skank' FREE DOWNLOAD
[I'll also make it available on my Newgrounds page next week...]

(The CD is now back in stock, but going fast, so grab a copy while they last;)

All the best

KB

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-11-02 15:35:18 Reply

Awesome man! If you dont mind me asking, how many copies were sold? (electronically and physically)

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-11-02 18:36:32 Reply

At 11/2/11 03:35 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Awesome man! If you dont mind me asking, how many copies were sold? (electronically and physically)

Not enough;)

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-11-02 20:58:13 Reply

Not enough;)

Gimme a free copy of your next album and I'll do some promoting :P I got four of your albums lined up in my collection. They look so... beautiful... *sniff *

TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-11-03 06:34:33 Reply

kb i know your a woman, are you girlfriends with axl rose?

Kingbastard
Kingbastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to New Ep 'brainfunk' Out Now 2011-11-03 08:30:03 Reply

At 11/3/11 06:34 AM, TimeBender wrote: kb i know your a woman, are you girlfriends with axl rose?

Busted!