So exciting!

merlin
merlin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-01 20:08:57 Reply

At 10/1/11 07:36 PM, Cryoma wrote: So exciting!

You weren't even original with the title!

BBS Signature
Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-02 18:28:13 Reply

Very few changes, the most substantial being the final stages of making Reason 6 and Record the same thang. Which is great, for those who use both, I guess.

But the addition of the few effects units and no serious new synths doesn't make it worthwhile for me - Wavetable, Waveguide or even a DX style FM synth would be nice. Maybe something with some interest S+H type functions.

If you can't do a Wobble bass with Subtractor and you can't sidechain a kick with the build in compressor then idk. It's just a shortcut being offered so that they can capitalise effectively on the new demographic of bedroom DJ's who like dubstep.

commandab
commandab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-03 00:04:43 Reply

reasons for normal producers

WhistlerMusicUK
WhistlerMusicUK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-03 10:09:22 Reply

I don't know if it's worth it either... I would be looking to get it for the first time and don't really make a huge amount of dance music. Is this worth it? I'm running logic 9 so the gate compressor and delay are moot for me. I like the look of Kong but again I've got ultra beat which does the same sort of thing... Not enough cool synths for me either which I see as the main attraction for buying an add on like this. I agree with Chris's FM sentiment. Does it do Granular?

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-03 16:11:39 Reply

Reason has Maelstrom which is a granular synth so yes.

Reason 6 does do FM synths - Thor is a fucking BEAST of a modular synth. But I want one where I can tinker more with the osscilators.

But then that's why I downloaded CSound!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-03 17:29:22 Reply

WhistlerMusicUK

If you enjoy creative sound design where you're not constrained to a single plugin at a time, Reason is an absolute must. That's its main selling point imo, and the only thing I really use it for these days. I think it complements Logic very well, especially now that Rewire is 64 bit. It may not be worth the money though. Play around with the demo, you can do everything with it except opening older files.

Reason doesn't do granular synthesis in the traditional sense. Maelström does the granular "sound" but you can't granularize your own samples (well you can, in a bit of a redneck way which I can explain if you're curious).

FuckSandwich
FuckSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-03 18:10:09 Reply

Didn't reason 5 come out like yesterday

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-03 18:29:54 Reply

At 10/3/11 05:29 PM, SBB wrote: Reason doesn't do granular synthesis in the traditional sense. Maelström does the granular "sound" but you can't granularize your own samples (well you can, in a bit of a redneck way which I can explain if you're curious).

You've peaked my interest, how does one go about doing this?

Also, I think it's pretty cool that they made it pay what you want for Reason 5 + Record owner, seeing they got the short end of the stick with this update. Not sure when I'll pick it up, but the new Mixer plus audio capabilities seem nice.

I also agree with SBB, I love doing sound design and ambient type projects in reason.

Tome89
Tome89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-03 20:37:43 Reply

At 10/3/11 06:29 PM, SineRider wrote: You've peaked my interest, how does one go about doing this?

Also, I think it's pretty cool that they made it pay what you want for Reason 5 + Record owner, seeing they got the short end of the stick with this update. Not sure when I'll pick it up, but the new Mixer plus audio capabilities seem nice.

I also agree with SBB, I love doing sound design and ambient type projects in reason.

You can load a sample into the NN-19 and play notes really fast while tweaking the Sample Start knob. It's limited to 128 fixed starting positions with exponentially increasing offset. I use this trick in some of my songs.

Also, hurry up and get it so we can collab! =D

At least this signature is not obsolete.

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-04 01:01:19 Reply

Mannn I just download all sorts of similiar VSTs and Audio Units and use them in Garageband like a straight up gangster yo.

God dammit I need to download this right meow.

JonH2O
JonH2O
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-04 03:48:04 Reply

At 10/3/11 05:29 PM, SBB wrote: WhistlerMusicUK

I think it complements Logic very well, especially now that Rewire is 64 bit. It may not be worth the money though.

Propellerheads is allowing customers to name their price for Reason 6. I just bought it for $1.
Still not worth it?

Reason 6!

Myspace | Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back

BBS Signature
Tome89
Tome89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Reason 6! 2011-10-04 07:16:50 Reply

At 10/4/11 03:48 AM, JonH2O wrote: Propellerheads is allowing customers to name their price for Reason 6. I just bought it for $1.
Still not worth it?

Only if they already own Reason and Record.

At least this signature is not obsolete.

BBS Signature