Be a Supporter!

Occupy wall street media black out

  • 18,977 Views
  • 564 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SadisticMonkey
SadisticMonkey
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Art Lover
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 12:02 AM Reply

At 10/16/11 08:10 PM, Warforger wrote: What?

The wall street journal has covered the occupation in a positive or at least sympathetic light. Given that most people think the journal is pro-big business and mainly for rich people, the fact that they're gernally in favour of them explodes any idea that they're getting unfair media treatment. ie. the whole basis of this thread

Regulations on the other hand is what's keeping businesses from putting tuberculosis infected canned meat on the shelves,

hahahahahaahahahahahaahahahah

it's what's keeping workers from 1 $ an hour.

Without government regulations and taxes that serve as barriers to entry and divert capital away from productive enterprise, the econoym would be so healthy that you could live quite nicely on a dolalr an hour.

In 2008 regulatory compliance cost over $1.5 trillion. Defence spending takes hundreds of billions of dollrs out of the productive economy every year.
Just imaine if business wnad individuals were allowed to keep this money and put it toward increasing their productive capabilities.

Blaming regulations on the reason economics isn't working is pretty fucking retarded.

Well economics is a field of study

but anyway

regulations are only a part of it. But I mean for example, regulations dicatate that you can't sell health insurance between states, which DRASTICALLY reduces competition and basically grants abround 50 firms monopolies on health care for america.
Big business love regulation.

You know Bush, the "great deregualtor"? Under his presidency, over 70,000 pages of new regulations were added to the federal register alone each year.

I did not say they did, I said they didn't have to.

What?

Did you click the link? regardless of your feelings on the protests, the msm were extremely biased agianst them.

Because they don't agree with your Libertarian idea's oh ho ho I guess all non-Libertarian economists also have no idea how the economy works.

Ron Paul said in 2003 that the federal reserve's and hte federal government's polices would lead to a housing bubble and eventual collapse. Mainstream, nobel-prize winning economists were cheering on the boom, said that there was extremely zero risk of freddie and fannie defaulting, and said there wasn't going to be a crash.

Oh, and the libertarians have been opposed to bailouts from day one, and were criticised for this opposition. Three years later though and these idiots decide to get their shit together and finally decide to voice their opposition.

Some are on the other hand, but the main problem is corruption.

You can't have corruption with government power in the first place.

At the very least we know they have a College education in the works, the TEA party? not so much.

hahahahah, that doesn't mean shit.

You do realise that a huge chunk of the occupiers are protesting because their college degrees can't get them jobs so they're stuck with massiv debt, right?

i.e. that their degrees are worthless

hahahahaha


BBS Signature
VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Member since: May. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 12:05 AM Reply

At 10/16/11 07:55 PM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 10/16/11 04:12 PM, Camarohusky wrote: I blame the Tea Party for the ardent do-nothingism present in Congress.
You mean how the democrat controlled senate rejected obama's jobs bill?

I blame the politicians being bought.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 12:25 AM Reply

At 10/16/11 10:39 PM, All-American-Badass wrote:
Well some regulations are unnecessary. The ones you mentioned are necessary and been around long enough to where they could regulate themselves on it, but there are other more frivolous regulations, like some in Obamacare and some EPA regulations that have big businesses fickle about pouring money into creating jobs due to the fact that those frivolous regulations make the certainty of getting a return on their investment seem non-existant.

not do say there aren't unnecessary restrictions that could be gotten rid of, but to say they can't afford to create more jobs or pay their employees more is like saying they can not live without buying 5 more private jets every day.

if they aren't willing to fork out money from their own pockets, then tax cuts and deregulation alone will never solve anything.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 10:55 AM Reply

At 10/17/11 12:25 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote:
At 10/16/11 10:39 PM, All-American-Badass wrote:
Well some regulations are unnecessary. The ones you mentioned are necessary and been around long enough to where they could regulate themselves on it, but there are other more frivolous regulations, like some in Obamacare and some EPA regulations that have big businesses fickle about pouring money into creating jobs due to the fact that those frivolous regulations make the certainty of getting a return on their investment seem non-existant.
not do say there aren't unnecessary restrictions that could be gotten rid of, but to say they can't afford to create more jobs or pay their employees more is like saying they can not live without buying 5 more private jets every day.

if they aren't willing to fork out money from their own pockets, then tax cuts and deregulation alone will never solve anything.

I'm not saying they can't afford it I'm saying that they probably won't get the money they'll put in. Someone could easily put $80,000 in a new Corvette but they're not gonna see that $80,000 again. Some company can put in several million bucks into building a place to employ people no problem and hundreds of thousands more a year to pay employees. but due to those unnecessary regulations they may only see up to 90%(hypothetical figure) of the money they put in over 10 years.

Of course demand is also an issue, which I'll concede to being a bigger part of the problem that frivolous regulations, but it sort of compounds the problem because if demand isn't that high you're not going to make much profit out of some place, but those frivolous regulations will wipe away any profit they'll see.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 19th, 2011 @ 11:31 PM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWH5Tlbl oU

nothin but a bunch of hipster douche bags with nothin tah complain about.


ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
akmeteor
akmeteor
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 20th, 2011 @ 09:57 AM Reply

At 10/19/11 11:31 PM, Iron-Hampster wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWH5Tlbl oU

nothin but a bunch of hipster douche bags with nothin tah complain about.

You notice how that get video gets taken down from Facebook? It's because it's wrong and it does have anti-semitic messages in it. I saw it before, and guess what? Those DVDs they sell are produced by a corporation, and paid for with reserve notes.

Anyway the main reason it's wrong.

The Federal Reserve is a GOVERNMENT owned bank FUNDED by the GOVERNMENT and STOCKBROKERS! Yes, the government is allowed to have stocks for a BUSINESS they OWN. Just like the USPS.


Well.

Shit.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 20th, 2011 @ 12:19 PM Reply

THis here shows why there is no reason not to put these so called Wall Street elite in prison !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAYMnqZy Zc&feature=related


Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

OccupyGaming
OccupyGaming
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:55 PM Reply

I am a game-dork and game-researcher, occupying out here in front of my local courthouse for a week now (we have about a dozen participants even at our slowest, and the group is growing), and I am very excited by the fact that over a third of America supports the movement. But I am surprised that indie-game makers have not begun making any games to support the movement. I would think there was a natural affinity between the two. I suppose it is not a question of "media blackout," but just the static before media comes online.

For now my strategy is an OccupyGaming Wiki . There may be better ways to coordinate creativity, though. Do you think a cub on NewGrounds would be a place to start?

Yorik
Yorik
  • Member since: Jul. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 08:02 PM Reply

Yesterday on main street in my little town there was an "occupation" of about 12 people.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 10:44 AM Reply

Occupy Portland is now nothing more than a homeless camp in front of the Courthouse...

The Occupy movement isn't going too well...

Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 03:04 PM Reply

Indeed, it hasn't been looking good since jackasses in NY tried to rush a police line, an idiot practically threw himself underneath a motorized scooter and flailed and screamed about, and the idiots at occupy norfolk threatened to remove people using local thugs if anyone exercised their 2nd amendment rights while in the park.

SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 10/24/11 10:44 AM, Camarohusky wrote: The Occupy movement isn't going too well...

I'll be honest with you, as someone who's been just sitting out of the ring of news and politics over the past three years so I could get my own life and problems fixed up... I'm really fatigued when it comes to hearing about this so called movement which as far as I can tell isn't going anywhere.

It comes off as a talking point without any real substance.
My two cents on it.


Wut?

BBS Signature
ToddM
ToddM
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 05:25 PM Reply

Occupy Milwaukee is in some park in a very liberal part of town and the people there are same ones that protest everything. The place has a few tents and looks very depressing to be at.


Well we were dumb enough to think it was gonna happen.

BBS Signature
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 06:58 PM Reply

I find this picture quite fitting to how ridiculous this whole Occupy thing is.

Occupy wall street media black out

Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 07:04 PM Reply

Not my picture. But still. Owned.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Occupy wall street media black out

thedo12
thedo12
  • Member since: May. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 09:03 PM Reply

At 10/25/11 07:04 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: Not my picture. But still. Owned.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

So your happy when police stomp on the first amendment?

Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 10/25/11 09:03 PM, thedo12 wrote:
At 10/25/11 07:04 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: Not my picture. But still. Owned.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!
So your happy when police stomp on the first amendment?

First amendment was not violated. It is not a violation of the constitution to legislate reasonable restrictions upon free speech and expression. Noise curfews are an example of this. The reasonable restrictions which the city had in place were repeatedly violated by the demonstrators. The demonstrators repeatedly violated city ordnances, were given numerous chances to disperse without incident, and did not.

Basically, fuck them in the ass hole.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 10/24/11 10:44 AM, Camarohusky wrote: The Occupy movement isn't going too well...

I don't know about that, it has certainly beginning to spread everywhere, and in bigger numbers as well. Although a lot of it is still just as disorganized and as stupid as it ever was, it seems to be catching on very quickly.

Numerous times before, I have said how shortsighted and idiotic these "Occupy" movements are. But the one thing that potentially scares me the most is, if and/or when these crowds begin to get more violent in one place, then that might start a chain reaction that would make these occupy movements more beligerant. I really don't think it would happen, because they want to act like a legitimate movement, but it just takes a few disgruntled people to turn a movement like this into cities being burned to the ground, just like what happened in 1968.

As I said, I don't see it happening at all, but the track record of political movements as highly charged and as big as this, usually means that a massive riot somewhere is not outside the realm of possibility.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 11:58 PM Reply

They are a bunch of pussies. No worries about them getting violent. I mean, look how quickly several concussion grenades and some tear gas sent them scurrying like rats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bytMNoKNe RA&

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 12:14 AM Reply

Where did the whole "OWS are anti-Capitalist Socialists" bullshit come from? Besides interviewing carefully selected individuals and broadcasting that across all media channels, of course.

brainface
brainface
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 03:29 AM Reply

The protest seems juvenile and counter productive for solving such a broad and intricate problem.

A bunch of people who are especially being financially fucked by the system decide to "Occupy Wall Street" in hopes that these high rolling stock brokers or CEOs or Bankers will take notice then suddenly start feeling guilt!? and change their ways?? Coome on.

The problems and small injustices are there (taxes, deregulation, rich get richer, private banks/debt) but standing around where a bunch of the money is circulated daily through electrical wires and devices doesn't sound productive at all.
More like watching the system fuck you first hand while you hope Carl shows up soon with his bbq and burgers or Sally starts announcing more disturbing facts about the economy.

At 10/25/11 11:50 PM, orangebomb wrote: but the track record of political movements as highly charged and as big as this, usually means that a massive riot somewhere is not outside the realm of possibility.

And it would definitely garner attention to the Occupy Wall Street in the news... unfortunately it will probably be framed as a negative event in the media skimming over any of the real issues or information the protestors foolishly fought, rioted, killed, or got arrested for.


- ><--stick vs. sprites-->< - ><--flat beat-->< - ><--pico vs. sticks-->< -

BBS Signature
thedo12
thedo12
  • Member since: May. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 06:36 AM Reply

At 10/25/11 10:03 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote:
First amendment was not violated. It is not a violation of the constitution to legislate reasonable restrictions upon free speech and expression. Noise curfews are an example of this. The reasonable restrictions which the city had in place were repeatedly violated by the demonstrators. The demonstrators repeatedly violated city ordnances, were given numerous chances to disperse without incident, and did not.

They were protesting in a park, that is perfectly reasonable and within the limits of free speech. The police attacked peaceful protesters for no good reason and you support it.

Basically, fuck them in the ass hole.

How eloquent.

djack
djack
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 10/26/11 06:36 AM, thedo12 wrote:
At 10/25/11 10:03 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote:
First amendment was not violated. It is not a violation of the constitution to legislate reasonable restrictions upon free speech and expression. Noise curfews are an example of this. The reasonable restrictions which the city had in place were repeatedly violated by the demonstrators. The demonstrators repeatedly violated city ordnances, were given numerous chances to disperse without incident, and did not.
They were protesting in a park, that is perfectly reasonable and within the limits of free speech. The police attacked peaceful protesters for no good reason and you support it.

It isn't reasonable when they're violating the laws about park occupancy limits, being noisy at night and disrupting the people around them, littering in the park, and turning public property into a community toilet. They were warned that they were violating these laws and were asked to leave but they refused under the same claim you're making, that asking them to leave was a violation of their first amendment rights and they weren't going to put up with it, so they stayed in the park like petulant children throwing a tantrum. The police removed criminals who were knowingly violating the law not peaceful protesters so yes I support it. It's things like this that give people a reason to oppose the OWS movement. If they'd stop acting like children and organize the protest to have a clear goal they'd probably have a lot of support.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 10/26/11 12:14 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Where did the whole "OWS are anti-Capitalist Socialists" bullshit come from?

Perhaps you should read their mission statement.

Socialist? Not so much. Anti-capialist? Very much. I'd say they're more bitter about the fact that they're poor (however, banging drums, constantly smoking weed, and not showering was never really a good plan for making money anyway)

To sum up OWS:

Right cause, wrong mission, wrong people, wrong method. I'd say they're in a deep hole. If this cause didn't resonate with so many regular Americans the massive drawbacks of this soon to be failed protest would have had the police kicking out these camps in day 3.

Why is this protest going to fail? Well, it's been around for over a month and while it's garnered the Arcade Fire, Bonaroo types, it has still yet to bring any people of legitimacy on board. Their message is still muddled and loaded with unpopular super-hippie-Whale-Wars type bullshit, and they're letting their protest become a haven for the career homeless and petty criminals.

OWS doesn't even have the most base level of legitimacy the Tea Party had (and subsequently crapped all over).

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 10/25/11 07:04 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: Not my picture. But still. Owned.

I'd have to say that that park even after the mess is still likely the cleanest in Oakland...

thedo12
thedo12
  • Member since: May. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 02:13 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 10:26 AM, djack wrote:

It's things like this that give people a reason to oppose the OWS movement.

A recent poll shows 70 percent of new yorkers are willing to let the protesters stay as long as they want, for such annoying and unpopular protest (according to you) those numbers are pretty high. Give me actual evidence for what you say there doing , and even if there doing it do you think it justify's tear gas on unarmed civilians?

If they'd stop acting like children and organize the protest to have a clear goal they'd probably have a lot of support.

Ummm what ? They do have a clear goal, removing corporate power from government, people who can't see something as simple as that shouldn't be commenting on the protests at all. And actually they have a lot of public support , they even get near 40 percent approval from a fox news website.

thedo12
thedo12
  • Member since: May. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 10:52 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 10/26/11 12:14 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Where did the whole "OWS are anti-Capitalist Socialists" bullshit come from?
Perhaps you should read their mission statement.

Socialist? Not so much. Anti-capialist? Very much.

Anti corporatism /= anti-capitalism , these people aren't protesting your local farmers market there protesting the likes of Goldman Sachs and the Koch brothers.

Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 02:13 PM, thedo12 wrote:
At 10/26/11 10:26 AM, djack wrote:

It's things like this that give people a reason to oppose the OWS movement.
A recent poll shows 70 percent of new yorkers are willing to let the protesters stay as long as they want, for such annoying and unpopular protest (according to you) those numbers are pretty high. Give me actual evidence for what you say there doing , and even if there doing it do you think it justify's tear gas on unarmed civilians?

The difference here? Occupy OAKLAND and Occupy WALL STREET.

Occupy wall street has health, and sanitation set up for the long term, while Occupy Oakland had people shitting on sidewalks, discouraged from seeking help from the police in the event that they were assaulted, and denied medical personnel access to the site to assist those in need.

The police were right in shutting down that shit hole of a protest.

Yes. Eloquent.

djack
djack
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Occupy wall street media black out Oct. 26th, 2011 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 10/26/11 02:13 PM, thedo12 wrote: A recent poll shows 70 percent of new yorkers are willing to let the protesters stay as long as they want, for such annoying and unpopular protest (according to you) those numbers are pretty high. Give me actual evidence for what you say there doing , and even if there doing it do you think it justify's tear gas on unarmed civilians?

There are plenty of people commenting on how they support the idea of the OWS movement but because it lacks coordination and a single clearly focused goal or list of goals (many people just use OWS as a means to vent their own grievances about corporations without any real way to fix things or even real problems that need fixing). This is also about Occupy Oakland not the original OWS. Here's a news story about the notice the people were given to vacate the park and as for the shit and littering just look at the pictures of what got left behind. Also, yes I do think the tear gas was justified. Not only is tear gas designed for crowd control (non-lethal methods of dispersing large groups of people without risking violence toward police officers) but there were multiple petitions through sites like livestream and twitter trying to get people to respond violently to any police force that would attempt to force them out.

Ummm what ? They do have a clear goal, removing corporate power from government, people who can't see something as simple as that shouldn't be commenting on the protests at all. And actually they have a lot of public support , they even get near 40 percent approval from a fox news website.

No, they have a large group of people who, like you, imprint their own agenda onto the entire movement. OWS includes everything from less government control of corporations to more government control of corporations. A lot of people agree that there needs to be a reform and as such they partially identify with the OWS movement but because there are so many people who want so many different things they can't get behind the movement enough to actually go out there and join them.