New Topic Respond to this Topic
WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-09-30 19:10:06 Reply

You may have noticed a kissy faic. It has nothing to do with the thread. I just love you.

Now then, what is your current major, and what was it before? I'm interested in what NG wants to do with their lives, and what made them want to do it. How did your career interests evolve? This goes for College students as well as High School students. Tell us your story of career mind changes, and what made you make those changes. Also be sure to explain your current choice. Mine is below, if you wanted an example.

When I was younger, I of course wanted to be an astronaut, a firefighter, etc. But then I started watching those crime shows, and decided I wanted to be a CSI. That lasted until about 6th grade, when I realized that 1) I was shitty at science and 2) That I didn't have that kind of patience. All the shows made it seem so easy...

After that, I really didn't have any idea. I sort of drifted through school, trying to find something that I loved, and I found music. I planned on playing in a band for a while, but soon discovered that I had a case of stage fright that made all the shows I played at terrifying experiences. I got over it, but by that time I realized that my goal was unrealistic.

Finally, I settled on psychology. I couldn't tell you why I hit on this. I just discovered somehow that the human mind is an endless enigma. It's not like math, where I have a formula to solve. It's a science, sure. But it's not quite so boring and mundane. I don't know... I really liked the idea. But I soon realized it was more of a lab science, and I really didn't want that. I wanted to interact with people, not numbers.

So I'm now going to school to be a trauma counselor. Either for the military, helping veterans, for a police force, helping crime victims, or for a nonprofit organisation, helping victims of natural disasters.

Ready, set, go.

Heinrich
Heinrich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Movie Buff
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-09-30 19:23:37 Reply

When I was a child in Elementary school, I wanted to be a scientist. However, I'm not that good with science so it didn't last very long.

When I was 13 years old I wanted to join my father in the oil business since there was a major oil discovery not far from where I lived. It was so lucrative that to this day many people go to the oil fields that we have to import Filipino laborers as part of a program to fill in the jobs that were very low staffed. However, now I have very poor relations with my father as he is an alcoholic that I don't want to associate with anymore.

As I lived through High school I wanted to be a Historian because I love history so much. However I also dropped this because there were so few jobs that require knowledge of history.

Finally I now want to become a graphic designer ever since this website got me into photoshop and the art of computer software. Since computer-related jobs are on the rise I am now learning computer skills, especially when using vector graphics software. During my final years of High School I won a school award for my grades in certain computer art classes and built a reputation with some of my teachers.

I plan to go to college next year as I am working and saving up money for college and taking upgrades since the school I graduated in has better equipment than most of the colleges in my area.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-09-30 19:24:17 Reply

I kinda just wanted to play videogames. Then I realised that I might die of hunger unless I had a job.

Now I'm going to try and help make video games instead, using Multimedia Design as a procrastination device until I get good at the arts.

Oh sure, there was other stuff, but childhood aspirations are stupid.

I'm not really the ambitious sort.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Movie Buff
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-09-30 19:31:54 Reply

When I was a little kid, my dream job was to be a world famous author. It was simply something I always had on my mind. Now that I have grown up, I think my dream would be a psychologist or therapist, something which I am the most likely to become regarding what's been happening with me lately. I hope I at least manage to get more than what I am currently doing which is just me being a dishwasher.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-09-30 19:44:13 Reply

When I was a kid I watched cartoons all the fucking time, specifically The Simpsons, and I always aspired to work in that area somehow, like a voice actor or an animator. Then that idea sort of just drifted away and I took a more keen interest in computers. Now I've realized that working with computers is boring as shit and I aspire to do something maths or physics related at university.

What could be better than studying the very language and mechanics of the universe? Science is awesome.

Molotov
Molotov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-09-30 19:45:28 Reply

I wanted to be like Duke Nukem.

BlackAstral
BlackAstral
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-10-01 14:34:06 Reply

I'm going to major Music Business and EP&D in college. If that fails, then I'll switch into Computer engineering.

Converting Vegetarians
--------------------------------
My YouTube Channel

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-10-01 14:44:26 Reply

I would have liked to try something Liked Pychsology more old high school has sad that it would have been to hard for my mind to handle. That and something with carpentry

alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-10-01 15:14:28 Reply

i too had wished to become an astronaut. and a soldier. and a rock star. and a professional baseball player. all of these i have discarded to pursue what my heart is set on.

i wish to pursue a major in music and medicine. i realize i do not enjoy seeing others in pain, injury or illness. perhaps i am an insane, but it is my dream to heal with both music and medicine.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to What's Your Major? Then And Now. 2011-10-01 15:24:25 Reply

I used to want to be a power ranger. But now I'm studying medicine. 4 years in, 3 to go.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature