Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 11:03:42 Reply

Ok.

I was recently checking up on the "forum rules" and while one of the rules is:

Insulting or harassing the moderators or administrators.

it says nothing about constructive criticism.

So, if you want to tell somebody something that you don't like about them in a
NICE, USEFUL, AND HELPFUL MANNER WITH GOOD SUGGESTIONS HOW TO CHANGE post here.
REMEMBER: THIS THREAD IS AS HELPFUL AS YOU WANT IT TO BE, I HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS.

Serious EXAMPLE:

Poozy, I noticed you locked the "Pony Serious Discussion thread"
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1263 321/58
With little more than a "lol no".
I'd like if you gave more reasoning behind locking a thread than a "lol no."
as I wouldn't mind if there was a good reason to lock it.

It doesn't have to be a mod, just don't be a winy bitch or this thread will get locked.
Here, have a photo.

BBS suggestion box thread

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 11:07:52 Reply

I thought it was a funny reason to lock a dumb thread.

BBS Signature
XenonMonkey
XenonMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 11:08:59 Reply

Dear BBS:

Start being funny again.

BBS Signature
Rivergrey
Rivergrey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 11:10:23 Reply

At 9/24/11 11:07 AM, Tokecat wrote: OK, well, I suggest that we give moderators tools to move threads from forum to forum. For instance, that MLP serious discussion thread should have been moved to clubs and crews. Just a suggestion.

I actually agree with this a lot. There are loads of threads here on the BBS that need to be moved, rather than the creator having to reword and/or copy-paste it in the correct forum. Maybe some sort of "ghost thread" stating that is has been moved. It works very, very well for other forums I visit!

furry
filler

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 11:10:45 Reply

At 9/24/11 11:03 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote: I'd like if you gave more reasoning behind locking a thread than a "lol no."

Read the title of the thread. There's your reason.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 11:10:47 Reply

At 9/24/11 11:07 AM, Tokecat wrote: OK, well, I suggest that we give moderators tools to move threads from forum to forum. For instance, that MLP serious discussion thread should have been moved to clubs and crews. Just a suggestion.

That's actually a pretty good one!

Idk if the staff can do that code wise, but other forums do it and it seems like it would save hassle.

Keep it at this tone guys.

Maybe some BBS ban/thread moved PM system too, so I don't have to make a new thread to see if I'm still banned.

BBS Signature
Laughingbox
Laughingbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 16:42:06 Reply

Well, a few members tried to make a MLP thread in the Clubs and Crews forum, but it got rejected.

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 16:46:52 Reply

As far as the MLP thread in clubs and crews goes, take it up with Malachy.

I do have one suggestion. Moderators tend to come and go at times and are thus de-modded for inactivity, so whenever that happens and it seems that they will not return could we do one of these threads for their departure and find a replacement that way?

Asandir
Asandir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:02:51 Reply

At 9/24/11 04:46 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I do have one suggestion. Moderators tend to come and go at times and are thus de-modded for inactivity, so whenever that happens and it seems that they will not return could we do one of these threads for their departure and find a replacement that way?

I am indifferent about this. It would just end up being a popularity contest, and that means that the person that gets the most votes could be actually not suitable for a moderator position, just saying. I think that the adminstrators should choose one new moderator, when another one gets inactive.

Without truth, there is no justice.
Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users
Portal and Icon moderator

BBS Signature
Smittytheghost
Smittytheghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:12:22 Reply

At 9/24/11 11:03 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote:

This.

I also noticed a couple spam threads posted by said "Poozy".
Specifically tmnt and Akoona.

I feel that there should be some limit to what mods can and can't do. If there are such limits, I feel as if they are not enough.

slipstrike
slipstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:20:52 Reply

At 9/24/11 11:03 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Poozy, I noticed you locked the "Pony Serious Discussion thread"

He locked the thread? I thought that one would never die! This calls for a celebration!

Now, onto business.
Whenever someone posts a spam thread, everyone who gets sucked into it gets banned for 24 hours. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I have issues discerning spam threads from the good threads. why should I have to suffer all day for someone else's idiocy? A 30-minute to 1-hour ban(maybe going so far as a 3-hour ban) would get the point across just as easily as a 24-hour ban. Just sayin'.

Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:22:56 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:12 PM, Smittytheghost wrote: I feel that there should be some limit to what mods can and can't do. If there are such limits, I feel as if they are not enough.

Who mods the mod's??!

isn't 'making a thread to complain about a locked thread' against the rules?

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:23:23 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:20 PM, slipstrike wrote:
Whenever someone posts a spam thread, everyone who gets sucked into it gets banned for 24 hours. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I have issues discerning spam threads from the good threads. why should I have to suffer all day for someone else's idiocy? A 30-minute to 1-hour ban(maybe going so far as a 3-hour ban) would get the point across just as easily as a 24-hour ban. Just sayin'.

Because by posting in that topic you keep the spam alive, and are most likely +1 posting, thus you are seen as just as guilty as the person who made the topic

“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
Bryan
Bryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:25:49 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:12 PM, Smittytheghost wrote:
At 9/24/11 11:03 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote:
This.

I also noticed a couple spam threads posted by said "Poozy".

I feel that there should be some limit to what mods can and can't do. If there are such limits, I feel as if they are not enough.

I can't agree with this enough. I don't really even know what we did wrong. And we're not getting any answers.

"Maybe thats why shes in film school. She wants to be an Artistic Autistic." -Viper50
"Everything else you said was mostly garbage and opinionated." -DangerousGirl

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:30:46 Reply

Rest assured, this very topic is being discussed in the mod forums, and the situation is leaning in favor of giving bronies another chance to discuss MLP in their own thread, provided the topic isn't derailed and still abides by forum rules.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:32:13 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:30 PM, STEM wrote: Rest assured, this very topic is being discussed in the mod forums, and the situation is leaning in favor of giving bronies another chance to discuss MLP in their own thread, provided the topic isn't derailed and still abides by forum rules.

Please put it in Clubs and Crews. I'm not even an MLP fan, but it would get less hate traffic in C&C compared to General.

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:32:36 Reply

Also, if you feel like a moderator simply isn't doing the job they've been given correctly, discuss it with another moderator or administrator of your choice in a calm and collective manner so your query can be taken seriously.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
slipstrike
slipstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:33:08 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:23 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
Because by posting in that topic you keep the spam alive, and are most likely +1 posting, thus you are seen as just as guilty as the person who made the topic

Perhaps so, but I've posted in spam threads and had no idea it was a spam thread till i got the notice when I tried to post elsewhere. A 3-hour ban would make me realize I done fucked up just as much as a 24-hour ban.

Also...

At 9/24/11 05:12 PM, Smittytheghost wrote: I also noticed a couple spam threads posted by said "Poozy".

I see what Poozy was doing there. Those were trap threads, created specifically to draw in people who post in spam thread threads solely for the sake of spamming, and then locking it and banning them all to keep them off the forums. Not exactly fair play, but quite clever regardless.

Bryan
Bryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:34:09 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:30 PM, STEM wrote: Rest assured, this very topic is being discussed in the mod forums, and the situation is leaning in favor of giving bronies another chance to discuss MLP in their own thread, provided the topic isn't derailed and still abides by forum rules.

If you don't mind me asking, how were we breaking any rules?

I know in the beginning we had picture spammed quite a bit but we were locked at a time when I think we were pretty under control. I really just want to know WHY the thread was locked.

"Maybe thats why shes in film school. She wants to be an Artistic Autistic." -Viper50

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:34:51 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:32 PM, Makeshift wrote: Please put it in Clubs and Crews. I'm not even an MLP fan, but it would get less hate traffic in C&C compared to General.

An excellent suggestion. If there are any past MLP thread regulars who would like to take charge of setting up an MLP club in the C&C forums, please contact me first so we can organize it effectively.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:36:07 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:33 PM, slipstrike wrote: I see what Poozy was doing there. Those were trap threads, created specifically to draw in people who post in spam thread threads solely for the sake of spamming, and then locking it and banning them all to keep them off the forums. Not exactly fair play, but quite clever regardless.

INGENIOUS.
Except nobody got banned.

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:37:25 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:34 PM, Bryan wrote: If you don't mind me asking, how were we breaking any rules?

I know in the beginning we had picture spammed quite a bit but we were locked at a time when I think we were pretty under control. I really just want to know WHY the thread was locked.

It is a mystery even to me why the thread was locked, as I never found myself reading more than a couple pages of the thread in its entirety. Though in its future resurrection, we do want to take necessary precautions so it won't be subject to MLP haters. It certainly is a grand topic on the internet today, and it would be preferable to have its place of discussion catered to those who enjoy it.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:37:28 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:33 PM, slipstrike wrote:
I see what Poozy was doing there. Those were trap threads, created specifically to draw in people who post in spam thread threads solely for the sake of spamming, and then locking it and banning them all to keep them off the forums. Not exactly fair play, but quite clever regardless.

I think it's called a sense of humor.

“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
slipstrike
slipstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:40:08 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:36 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 9/24/11 05:33 PM, slipstrike wrote: I see what Poozy was doing there. Those were trap threads, created specifically to draw in people who post in spam thread threads solely for the sake of spamming, and then locking it and banning them all to keep them off the forums. Not exactly fair play, but quite clever regardless.
INGENIOUS.

Oh. Well then what was the fucking point!?
Still, if there's no rule or stigma against posting trap spam threads to keep spammers out, maybe you mods should try that. Considering my disability, y'all probably see less of me, but do what you gotta do.

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:45:20 Reply

INGENIOUS.

Even if it were the case a Tom and Jerry style cat and mouse game isn't a very honest or mature way to handle things, especially given the bait itself is against the forum rules. For the most part I really like the forums, but I still stand by my opinion that when a person decides to become a moderator (yep, we accept or decline the privilege of helping run the site) they should watch what they do a little more carefully and strive to be the role model user which everyone can look up to - not someone everyone's afraid of and looks at as immature, jerky, or whatever. The concept of leading by example is simple, and some examples are better than others. My ideal BBS would follow the NG BBS guidlines more closely, while maintaining a fun atmosphere for everyone, not too harsh on the people here to have fun, but if you're here to cause trouble or be negative, that's a different story.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
Bryan
Bryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:50:40 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:45 PM, cast wrote:
INGENIOUS.
Even if it were the case a Tom and Jerry style cat and mouse game isn't a very honest or mature way to handle things, especially given the bait itself is against the forum rules. For the most part I really like the forums, but I still stand by my opinion that when a person decides to become a moderator (yep, we accept or decline the privilege of helping run the site) they should watch what they do a little more carefully and strive to be the role model user which everyone can look up to - not someone everyone's afraid of and looks at as immature, jerky, or whatever. The concept of leading by example is simple, and some examples are better than others. My ideal BBS would follow the NG BBS guidlines more closely, while maintaining a fun atmosphere for everyone, not too harsh on the people here to have fun, but if you're here to cause trouble or be negative, that's a different story.

Indeed. I believe a mod should look out for the sake of the users IN GENERAL (and by general I mean the general populus of the BBS, not the General forum) instead of a certain minority of users. (A bit off-topic related to the locking of the discussion thread -->) Also, I completely agree with the idea that this site is meant to have fun, and the discussion thread brought many users together. I myself made many friends from that thread, it's a very strong community, just like the site itself. I mean, wasn't this community pretty much brought together by a love for crude humor and violence? I think to lock the discussion thread in a way would be to against the philosophy Newgrounds was founded on. Didn't Tom and NG get a lot of hate mail back in the days? I feel the same can be said for the serious discussion thread, if we can laugh it off and go past it, then the community can thrive.

BBS Signature
Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:53:28 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:45 PM, cast wrote: when a person decides to become a moderator they should watch what they do a little more carefully and strive to be the role model user which everyone can look up to - not someone everyone's afraid of and looks at as immature, jerky, or whatever.

Yeah, who do moderators think they are... trying to play and have fun like regular users and setting bad examples!! DA NERVE!!!

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:55:23 Reply

I think that it would be cool if on the Newgrounds BBS we could make be all like

Tom Fulp

And then Tom Fulp would come and everyone would be so happy and we'd all have such a good time and we'd all get along and no one would argue and everyone would be like 'Man that was really cool'

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:56:31 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:36 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: INGENIOUS.
Even if it were the case a Tom and Jerry style cat and mouse game isn't a very honest or mature way to handle things, especially given the bait itself is against the forum rules.

I hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick here, but I'm pointing out that it wasn't a trap thread.
I've no idea why Poozy locked and created a few of those threads.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to BBS suggestion box thread 2011-09-24 17:58:45 Reply

At 9/24/11 05:56 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
I've no idea why Poozy locked and created a few of those threads.

He must've got h4ck3d l33t lol!!!!