New Topic Respond to this Topic
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:10:51 Reply

Right, I've been a casual observer of the Mac vs. PC feud that's been going on across the internet ever since Macs became insanely trendy. Personally I have no interest in owning a Mac.

I haven't felt much of a need to voice my preference between Mac OS and Windows because to be honest I find both of them fucking annoying. I am, however, well aware that Macs are overpriced and designed to appeal to people who like things that are OMG SHINEY. The Apple logo is nothing more than a go-faster stripe disguised as a fruit.

Nothing has compelled me to rant about the Mac until today, when I discovered that there is actually a market consisting entirely of Mac users for an "app" to "LOCK YOUR SCREEN."

A function which nobody in their right mind would expect to have to pay for is being sold for $0.99 per download. This has actually blown my mind. It is amazing that there are people out there whose monetary status outweighs their intelligence to such a degree that they can just throw cash away on completely basic OS functions.

Does this not bother anyone else? Am I the only one that recognises the absurdity of this whole thing? When I want to lock my screen I press TWO KEYS, and it costs me NOTHING. I can't believe people fall for this cocksmithery.

On this page they advertise one of its features as that it "Just works."I should hope it JUST WORKS considering it consists of barely one line of fucking code.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Apple, I am stunned

Coreghost
Coreghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:14:59 Reply

Yes, but you can use it only 10 times!

But you can purchase the professional edition. 100 Times usable, only 9.99$ !!! (+9 cent for nuthing)

Coreghost
Coreghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:16:51 Reply

LOL @ version log:

What's New in Version 1.1
- New Icon
- Ability to lock the screen on a global hotkey %u2303%u2325%u2318L
- Localization in German, French, and Spanish

Version 1.0 didn't even have a hotkey (and appearently a shitty logo, too!)

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:24:10 Reply

In B4 PC Master Race - Elitist bullshit.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:28:26 Reply

I bet those elitist PC users are having problems locking their systems!

Apple, I am stunned

BBS Signature
fuzzum111
fuzzum111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:30:56 Reply

This is just one more reason I hate apple and their products.

My Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11
If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Reader
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:40:33 Reply

Wow. I lost all of my respect to apple now. Not that I had that much from the start.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:44:03 Reply

What would you expect? The average Apple consumer has the I.Q. of a fish.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:44:50 Reply

That's funny. Now I can dislike Apple more than I did before.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 10:51:24 Reply

At 9/24/11 10:44 AM, kiljoy96 wrote: What would you expect? The average Apple consumer has the I.Q. of a fish.

You might be onto a new product there mah boy

Apple, I am stunned

SFaPiL2
SFaPiL2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 11:03:20 Reply

This gives us a better reason to learn how to use their sdk. Imagine all the shitty programs you could make in less than a day, polish with some neat looking graphics and sell for $0.99. Imagine how easily you'd be earning cash this way.

Other than that, apple just pisses me off.

Side Note: the audio industry is almost exclusively Mac-oriented. It almost forces you to get a mac yourself.
iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 11:40:01 Reply

Wait a minute, why are you stunned at Apple? You should be more stunned at the people who developed such a silly little program, and not to mention the people who bought such a silly little program. Apple didn't do anything wrong here.

BBS Signature
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 12:06:38 Reply

bahAHAH, the conclusions that you are drawing about an entire company is so biased and generalized; it's pretty amzing you have no idea what you are

- The Apple store is equivalent to the Marketplace on the Android phone: The App store/Marketplace allows independent/3rd party developers to create applications and have their products available to the masses. You can't blame Apple for what they had hardly participation in. At most you could blame apple for having a flimsy TOS and for allowing shite application uploads;

An analogy that would make sense to a NGer would be this - Hate Spam "pointless" Flashes animations > Blame Tom Fulp and the rest of the Newgrounds administrators for having the portal > DURRRRRRR

- I'll admit that the "Locker 1.0" program that you linked is practically void of purpose regardless of which operating system you are using (Mac/Win/Linux...etc.) but you have to realize that the person who uploaded that app is obviously a freelance programmer; I imagine it was one of his/her side projects that they uploaded to the app store for fun. Why hate on a independent developer yo?

I HOPE THIS THREAD GARNERS ATTENTION FOR BLUECOUCH SOFTWARE AND GAINS THE DEVELOPER $$MONIES$$

+ It's not like this application is on the front page of Apple.com or the new sensational trend

- HOW IS THIS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK FOR YOU? WHY DIDN'T THE FINDINGS THAT APPLE, DURING THE IPAD 1 RELEASE, WAS OVERWORKING IT'S CHINESE DIVISION TO THE POINT THAT THERE WAS AN INCREASE IN SUICIDE RATE

l2 care
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 12:16:47 Reply

All of Apple is shit because of this! ALL OF APPLE.

SuperSilver123
SuperSilver123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 12:32:59 Reply

You're blaming an entire company for one application that Apple itself had almost nothing to do with?
K.

Smittytheghost
Smittytheghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 12:34:36 Reply

Step 1: Don't buy it
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

SteelChair
SteelChair
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 12:44:44 Reply

Everyone says Mac's are better, but Macs give you more shit you don't even need

Apple, I am stunned

ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 13:14:41 Reply

At 9/24/11 12:44 PM, SteelChair wrote: Everyone says Mac's are better, but Macs give you more shit you don't even need

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/sh op_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTM3NjU5Mz U

hey shithead look at the listed prices
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 13:19:03 Reply

At 9/24/11 12:06 PM, ExtraLife wrote: bahAHAH, the conclusions that you are drawing about an entire company is so biased and generalized; it's pretty amzing you have no idea what you are

What conclusions have I claimed to have drawn?

Marketplace on the Android phone

No idea what that is.

It's not like this application is on the front page of Apple.com or the new sensational trend

Irrelevant.

HOW IS THIS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK FOR YOU?

Because as stated I was already aware that Macs were overpriced and aimed towards rich kids and SUV drivers and such. It didn't occur to me how dense the Mac fanbase was until I realised they could be charged money to lock their computers.

WHY DIDN'T THE FINDINGS THAT APPLE, DURING THE IPAD 1 RELEASE, WAS OVERWORKING IT'S CHINESE DIVISION TO THE POINT THAT THERE WAS AN INCREASE IN SUICIDE RATE

Because that is a seperate matter to what we're talking about in this thread, you meandering fuckwit.

My entire first post was quite clearly an attack on the Emperors-New-Clothes-esque mentality of the Mac fanbase, and the obvious contempt they are held in by their overlords.

The exploitation and overwork of Chinese people in factories and sweatshops is common knowledge by now; I'd have been more surprised if Apple weren't working them to death, to be honest.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 13:20:35 Reply

Why would I want to lock my computer? How would I unlock it? What would even be the point?

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
SteelChair
SteelChair
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 13:30:37 Reply

At 9/24/11 01:14 PM, ExtraLife wrote:
At 9/24/11 12:44 PM, SteelChair wrote: Everyone says Mac's are better, but Macs give you more shit you don't even need
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/sh op_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTM3NjU5Mz U

But you could build a great PC for less than buying a mac, and like I said. It gives you a fuck ton of stuff you don't need. Like two hard drives, maybe I just want one hard drive.

Apple, I am stunned

Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 13:33:17 Reply

There are so many things that exist in the world that make no fucking sense at all.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
AngryCat
AngryCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 13:36:28 Reply

Apple doesn't expect its users to know how to use a computer.

Sadly, many people have screenshot software too, even Windows users.

Bit
Bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 13:45:53 Reply

The point is that screen locking is an OS feature which is standard with nearly all modern desktop operating systems. On Windows, it's as simple as Meta + L. On Linux, either vlock or xlock can be used depending on whether X is running and either of those commands can be bound to a shortcut. OS X's lack of a default locking feature is just another example of the insecurities of OS X and its inability to provide modern operating system features.

Apple has been selling things because they "Just work" and not due to any technical superiority for years. They know they can sell hardware for inflated prices on reputation and brand loyalty alone. There isn't really anything special about Macs. They're PCs with white plastic or brushed steel exteriors. The only difference is that they use poorly made Foxconn hardware. For those unaware, Foxconn has substandard working conditions and has been involved in many controversies.

At 9/24/11 01:14 PM, ExtraLife wrote:

Those specs are not worth the price.

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 14:06:09 Reply

500GB 5400-rpm1<-superscript

Footnotes:
1. 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.

WOW! That's 500 billion bytes! Great deal for those mac books I say. Those drives are 5400rpm too! That's... 324 thousand rotations per hour!

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 14:22:05 Reply

"By Bluecouch Software"

that's not Apple....I don't understand the arguments in this thread. PC has been open since its introduction to the world, and as such you'll find a number of similar programs and even hardware that makes you raise an eyebrow. You're a smart person, and don't give your money to that kind of crap, but rather save it for quality stuff. Now Apple opens an app store to allow developers to create whatever the fuck they want, with a lenient banning policy, and all of a sudden this causes an uproar? What?

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 14:22:27 Reply

I want a Mac.

But then I don't.

Hmmm

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Garage
Garage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 19:33:51 Reply

Poweroff is a Mac OS X application. It has a very simple and limited usage: When you double click it, it will shut down your computer. You will end up at the off state, just as if you had used a built in method to turn off your machine.

Features

Simple interface
No frills - just works
One click shutdown

$0.99
Version 1.0

Apple, I am stunned

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 19:35:25 Reply

At 9/24/11 07:33 PM, Garage wrote: Poweroff

Don't forget about Turn On to turn your computer on as well.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Apple, I am stunned 2011-09-24 19:38:05 Reply

At 9/24/11 10:44 AM, kiljoy96 wrote: What would you expect? The average Apple consumer has the I.Q. of a fish.

I myself love my HP laptop. I had it custom built last year and I am in love with this machine. HOWEVER, I'm also familiar with Macs. The company gets away with some pretty stupid things, like making you pay extra for the most basic functions that come on a Windows machine. But the machines and the Mac OS ARE good.