• 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
FoxyForever
FoxyForever
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Oct. 17th, 2011 @ 02:59 AM Reply

Began playing around in HTML when I was like 12 or something for fun, made some shitty site with no layout whatsoever where I would post game reviews. Which was a very good idea, since all I had was a gameboy colour with Pokémon and a N64 with like seven games or whatever. If I still had the .htm I'd share it for shits and giggles, but unfortunately I didn't bother to save it when it was time to bid farewell to my old computer.

Since then I've learned Basic, C#, some Java and re-visited HTML.

ToastedToastyToast
ToastedToastyToast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 04:16 PM Reply

5 years ago. In that time I have learned Actionscript 2, Actionscript 3, C, C+, C++, Html, Java, Javascript and CSS. All out of a weird personal interest.

If in doubt then set it on fire because fire is A if not THE answer and solution to absolutely everything.
-- Corey Griffin 2008
</thread></head></body></html>

tpm
tpm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 10:57 PM Reply

Probably mIRC scripting, around '99 or 2000, which may or may not count as "programming". I took some Java later on in college, but I'm more into interpreted languages like JavaScript and PHP these days. After a decade of procedural, only recently did I start getting into the functional and OOP side of things.

Sotatop
Sotatop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 6th, 2011 @ 11:59 AM Reply

I was in the middle of writing a small Java script when it failed on me in all directions. Then I tried out Python which I had once before, and I didn't like the development environment, so I went onto Ruby, and now I can't seem to execute the script.

Bunny indeed, but the question is refrigerator .

mkwklng
mkwklng
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 6th, 2011 @ 02:28 PM Reply

I started my freshman year in high school after my graphic design teacher told me about flash. Then i started to learn html my sophomore year. That was when i was around 13 or 14.

andy70707
andy70707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 6th, 2011 @ 06:56 PM Reply

I started web development when I was 9, when a friend introduced me to piczo. At first it was just drag and drop, then I later used javascript to get buttons and I soon learnt the rough syntax and how to edit and manipulate code snippets. I eventually got dreamweaver and flash 8 when I was 12 and started creating my websites with more HTML and less drag and drop, then moved onto pure HTML freeweb sites. Around the same time, I started learning AS2 and integrated interactive flash content. I then learnt a few other languages and got CS4 when I was 14, then I started paying for proper web hosting and using all the proper elements (css, external js and PHP). I am now still using CS4 and creating and managing websites with custom domains entirely, but development of languages has pretty much halted. I haven't really had time to learn any new languages and I have mainly moved onto the hardware side of computers.

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 12th, 2011 @ 03:57 AM Reply

Visual Basic.net back when I was 15/16. C++, Java and Perl now.

I hardly use it, though.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 13th, 2011 @ 03:09 AM Reply

Age 10: AS2 (made menus and buttons for flash movies haha)
Age 11: HTML and CSS
Age 12: AS3 (upgraded my menu and button skills hahahha)
Age 14: dropped programming and went to learn animation and flash web design to start my career as a graphic artist. I really wish I remembered html....

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 10:17 AM Reply

Started around when I was 10, learning HTML to make my "Expage" look fancy. Began learning Actionscript 2 at 12, and then Actionscript 3 at 15, VB.net at 16 as my college course required us to learn it, and then C++ in the same year. Picked up a bit of Java as I went, but nothing substantial.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 11/13/11 03:09 AM, BlackMist75 wrote: Age 10: AS2 (made menus and buttons for flash movies haha)
Age 11: HTML and CSS
Age 12: AS3 (upgraded my menu and button skills hahahha)
Age 14: dropped programming and went to learn animation and flash web design to start my career as a graphic artist. I really wish I remembered html....

HTML is easy, as it is a markup language with really simple syntax. Just learn the syntax and find some documentation somewhere.
I want to learn CSS3 and HTML, to create an epic looking portfolio.

BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 05:54 PM Reply

Im using flash now to make websites! I Might return to html to embed flash into it!

Echnaret
Echnaret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 27th, 2011 @ 12:17 AM Reply

Sadly, my parents were never very tech-savvy, so I didn't get a very early start. My first "programming" was on my TI-83+ in high school. I started to teach myself PHP and MySQL my senior year of high school, in order to make a website for the Assassins game the seniors played every year. Looking back at the code today, I can only laugh at how little I knew.

Anyways, when I went to college, I double majored in computer science and theatre. There, I learned proper coding habits and OOP, as well as Java. I currently have a personal website I use to experiment with PHP, CSS, and MySQL.

I just released a short story about a Penguin who goes fishing. It's like Peter and the Wolf, but more self-critical.
Listen!

BBS Signature
Fallin-Again
Fallin-Again
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 27th, 2011 @ 01:45 AM Reply

Started HTML at 13, moved to Actionscript, PHP & CSS at 14, and then Javascript at 16. im now 21 and still learning every time i build something.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 27th, 2011 @ 06:40 AM Reply

At 11/26/11 05:54 PM, BlackMist75 wrote: Im using flash now to make websites! I Might return to html to embed flash into it!

That's a horrible idea. I sometimes browse the web on a notebook running on battery, and one simple Flash advertisement makes my battery time reduce by hours. Sometimes, I even disable Flash for that reason.

Berwin
Berwin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Nov. 28th, 2011 @ 12:43 AM Reply

I first started with simple HTML when I was in eighth grade, and I've been building on that ever since. When I started learning languages that weren't used primarily for web development, my goals were to creative useful interactive media and start a blog of my own. Unfortunately, I underestimated the huge learning curve when it comes to going from the basics to more advanced topics in programming. I ended up choosing to learn Java as my first language seeing as it's an industry standard. Along that journey, I ran into some trouble with learning certain parts of Java and, feeling discouraged, felt that it might be better to switch to a more beginner-friendly language, such as Python. I ended up buying and reading part of a book about Python and boy, it was dry. I switched back over to Java sometime later, and have continued to study that until somewhat recently. During one summer in high school, I went to a programming camp where we developed basic android applications and programmed Arduino firmware using C.

All in all, I wouldn't consider myself an advanced programmer, but I think it's something I have the potential to be successful in because of early exposure.

CronoMan
CronoMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 09:16 AM Reply

QuickBasic back in the glorydays of DOS (when I was about 10 or 11). Then moved to Borland Delphi, then to Visual Basic 3.0, then Power C, VB5, VB6, Watcom C++ (with DOS Extender for those extra vital bytes of memory), MASM (awesome fun), Visual C++, Java, and now currently C#. These are the languages that has been vital to my development, although I have also dabbled in other (less significant) tools.

I got interested because my dad is also a computer programmer (although his education is in electronics). I saw him write some programs in Pascal (Turbo Pascal and Delphi), and I instantly recognized that this was something I was interested in. Been doing it ever since. So I have been programming now for about 18 years.

I miss the old days where you could do anything with the computer without all these security and stability measures which are implemented today. Wanna write a pixel to the screen? Poke that shit to 0xA000. Want to write audio samples to the Sound Blaster? Port that shit to 0x220 +0xC. Now you have to go through a trillion device drivers and interfaces, initialize this, secure that, create an instance of this, and modify a buffer. Of course, now you won't have to reboot computer if you fuck up, but still.

"no sound in ass"

Lopas1
Lopas1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 04:08 PM Reply

-AS 2.0 when i was twelve (me and a buddy started doing flash animations and i wanted to make buttons and preloaders and it just expanded a bit from there.)

-(x)HTML & CSS when i was about 14.
-Javascript, jQuery when i was 15-16
-PHP, SQL 16-17
-Perl 16
-C#, C, C++ started small when i was 16, but started to actually understand early this year at 17

that's pretty much it...

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Dec. 5th, 2011 @ 04:39 AM Reply

I don't remember the ages anymore but I started with ActionScript shortly after I discovered Newgrounds. After realising I couldn't draw for shit I designed to go into programming rather than flash games and got to grips with HTML and CSS. After that I moved onto JavaScript before tackling PHP and MySQL. Then I looked at variants of these languages, e.g. Ajax, XHTML and XML.

That's pretty much where I stopped because University and my real career and jobs took over.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
techb90
techb90
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Dec. 7th, 2011 @ 02:51 PM Reply

I started around 5 years ago with python. After about a year with python I moved to C++ and Java. I got real heavy into embedded systems and picked up on regular C. I know enough assembly to smash a stack, but that's about it lol.

I learned VB.NET in college (ew), and also PHP for my web dev class.

I mostly code in python and C/++ nowadays. I am most fluent in python since when I worked for NASA that's all I did, mostly back-end server dev with the Twisted framework.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Dec. 13th, 2011 @ 09:49 PM Reply

I started out to learn programming at 15 when my dad bought my an Amiga PC. ASM and BASIC were my first pals for over 3 years. Unlike other I did not learn OOP langs until I got my hands on Linux OS. My main core languages are C, C++, Java, Python, MySQL, PHP, Perl and ASM (TASM/MASM). I'm never good BASIC, still struggling serious syntax sometime.

What motive that get me so into programming? Demoscene, reverse engineering and system security. My tools of choices are VI(M), Emacs, GAS, Dev C++, Visual Basic 2008 and KronText, my team's standard text editor and compiler.

Most of my programs are on graphic/audio rendering, dynamic algorithmic system, encryption, password cracking and sometime gaming (even I suck at it).

My goals of programming on a great program are using simplest algorithms to produce best output (aka procedural prog), mem leak controlling, friendly interface, strong core code's encryption (anti-rev en) and have the least bugs (still a dream for me on this).

My first prog job was IRC security design but it didn't turn out well. After a few failed jobs, I finally get myself into penetrative testing. Writing custom pen test tools and malware. Got a temporary job in Facebook system sec.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
BillysProgrammer
BillysProgrammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Dec. 23rd, 2011 @ 09:43 AM Reply

Been a while but I read through all the comments, I really like the all the stuff you guys do and it kind of adds a bit of confidence to some of my silly programming habits. A lot of these languages Ive never heard of and they seem very interesting and I might do some reading up on a later date.

If everyone is being honest, and I trust you all are, some of you stated that you worked with NASA and the Facebook security team, thats is AMAZING! I have always wanted to do things like that, those are two of my biggest dream jobs. I have photographs of documents that Facebook sent me last year talking about how they would sue me and stuff for breaking into their servers and what not, and I have it all on my blog, so if I could of worked with the security team maybe I could of prevented some of the stuff I did.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone, and I hope to hear more from all of you!

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How/When did you start Programming? Dec. 25th, 2011 @ 03:12 PM Reply

At 12/23/11 09:43 AM, BillysProgrammer wrote: ... Facebook security team...

Facebook frequently promote job-hunting contests and/or temporary pen-test jobs every month. Check out the career section more often and then you shall get your chance to work with 'em.

I have photographs of documents that Facebook sent me last year talking about how they would sue me and stuff for breaking into their servers and what not, and I have it all on my blog, so if I could of worked with the security team maybe I could of prevented some of the stuff I did.

You must sign a load of contracts with 'em (with any other company) before you can go and perform any attack (must be under restricted circumstances). You must not leak your attack documents/reports unless they allowed you to do so.

Personally I don't give a flying fuck on leaking data. I choose to post my results on other sources and such at long as those guys/gals can't pull any evidence on me for leaking stuff.

Facebook/Google+ security is a joke compares to Linkedin. Wonder why there are over 100 IT sec members alone in Facebook's Canada branch.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature