00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

tagwall

1,014 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

tagwall 2011-09-14 00:50:24

not sure how well photoshop work slides out here but would appreciate cnc on my work this summer

http://marsupialart.deviantart.com/#/d49 js4i

cos shotgun bullets are bad for yo health.

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 03:44:29

I'm sorry to say but stuff like this isn't really the sort of art work the newgrounds art forum particularly likes... mainly because anyone can get a bunch of pictures other people did and call it their own work.

not only that but you are ment to upload the picture not link to other websites for future reference.

i can no comment on such pictures until i know what it is that you did... these things look pretty easy to churn out.

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 05:02:26

At 9/14/11 03:44 AM, LegolaSS wrote: I'm sorry to say but stuff like this isn't really the sort of art work the newgrounds art forum particularly likes... mainly because anyone can get a bunch of pictures other people did and call it their own work.

Speak for yourself, I like Marsupial's sigs. They're very stylish, and the custom brushes he uses breathes some energy into the pic. The only problem is that the main image is somebody else's work.

not only that but you are ment to upload the picture not link to other websites for future reference.

There's a point when the forum rules are a bit unwieldy. I wouldn't expect this whole image to be fitted on a 700px high upload, it's not appropriate for the art portal, and breaking the pic down into several forum sized pics would take a fair bit of effort.

i can no comment on such pictures until i know what it is that you did... these things look pretty easy to churn out.

This statement is a bit contradictory. I don't see how these can be easy to churn out, if you have no idea what he did. I suspect it's a batch of custom brushes, but it would be nice to see if Marsupial could give a tutorial.

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 06:36:57

As someone who has spent years doing tags (although I just remember calling them signatures, don't know when they started being called that) I have to say that your tags are definitely alright. I'd say that they're a little bland and aren't quite the top SOTW material, but definitely bloody good.

I don't know if the Art Forum has chewed out people for doing tags before, though - so he might be right. I do know a few people who do those signatures that can't get their stuff in the Portal because of it, so you've certainly got a fair point.

But I like them, so fuck 'em.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 13:51:16

At 9/14/11 05:02 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 9/14/11 03:44 AM, LegolaSS wrote: I'm sorry to say but stuff like this isn't really the sort of art work the newgrounds art forum particularly likes... mainly because anyone can get a bunch of pictures other people did and call it their own work.
Speak for yourself, I like Marsupial's sigs. They're very stylish, and the custom brushes he uses breathes some energy into the pic. The only problem is that the main image is somebody else's work.
There's a point when the forum rules are a bit unwieldy. I wouldn't expect this whole image to be fitted on a 700px high upload, it's not appropriate for the art portal, and breaking the pic down into several forum sized pics would take a fair bit of effort.
This statement is a bit contradictory. I don't see how these can be easy to churn out, if you have no idea what he did. I suspect it's a batch of custom brushes, but it would be nice to see if Marsupial could give a tutorial.

Thanks for the support TOAS, I'm a fan of your work too even though it's far from my field of expertise. I'll make a tutorial and post it, that's a good idea. I don't really use brushes I usually make my backgrounds by enlarging the render I use and heavily manipulating it with smudging techniques, clipping masks and playing with c4ds. Then various other techniques from then on for detail, depth, lighting etc.

I do know that it is an unorthodox form of art and I can't criticise Legolas for pointing it out but if people can enjoy it I'm gonna post it, but I will look into making a tutorial so you get a better idea of what I'm actaully doing. Do you think it would be suitable for me to make my own thread here for my work like other users do?

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 14:16:13

I've only had a few attempts at making my own forums sigs but from my experience, I think that it's an incredibly complex and time-consuming task; especially if you're aiming to make something that looks visually stunning. You have to take a really good picture (or make one) and blend in other elements with it, often with text as well, and just blend it all into a harmonious whole.

I honestly can not tell just by looking at your tags how much of it is your work and how much is pre-existing art, so I guess that says something about your abilities at the very least, but I'd also be intrigued to know how you go about your thing.

If you don't mind showing your secrets, of course :D

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 18:04:57

At 9/14/11 05:02 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

Can't tell if being sarcastic, or legitimately enjoys his "art".....

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 18:33:26

At 9/14/11 06:04 PM, jeeshwa123 wrote:

Pretty narrow minded, douchey comment. You proud?

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-14 23:43:21

At 9/14/11 06:33 PM, Marsupial wrote:

narrow minded? brohiem, you're taking the hard work of other artist that they've poured their blood, sweat, and tears into, and smacking them down on a black background and saying you had anything to do with it.

On the douche scale, I think I'm pretty far down at this point :P

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 00:52:36

At 9/14/11 11:43 PM, jeeshwa123 wrote:
At 9/14/11 06:33 PM, Marsupial wrote:

narrow minded? brohiem, you're taking the hard work of other artist that they've poured their blood, sweat, and tears into

ok your point seems legit so far

and smacking them down on a black background and saying you had anything to do with it.

now you've gone and ruined it, you clearly have no idea about this artform and what I do so why even try to comment on it? I always give credit if I use something from another artist, but in this case I'm just making sigs for practise and fun that aren't going to be published anywhere so I didn't see a need.

Plus just because somebody uses a stock image that they didnt create from scratch, doesn't mean no effort went into the piece.

You're making no sense to me so I'm going to assume you're narrow minded.

In the future try to actually give some criticism related to the piece instead of just bitching, when legolas already made the point you're making without being a total douche, so why even make it again?

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 01:14:02

My criticism would be make your own art? Is that really hard to comprehend? Lay down your graphics and effects on something that you actually made. And yes I understand very clearly what you do, I it could be argued heavily whether it's art or not. And if you're adimant on saying that you don't take these seriously, why would you dedicate a forum topic to it? And I'm not closed minded, I'm an artist who's putting myself in the shoes of these artists, and I'd be pretty pissed that someone was using my art without consent. Now if you got Brian Michael Bendis to sign off on that ultimate spider-man banner (if you even know his name, cripes) than by all means you win this debate. And stop name calling. It makes your mommy frown.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 01:59:45

He said he was making sigs for practice and fun, he never mentionned anywhere that he didn't take his work seriously.
Honestly Jeesh, I have to agree, you're being a dick.
Go ahead and try to make a sig as appealing as his on any of the subjects he's shown on his tag wall.
It's really not as easy as it looks.

As far as whether or not it should be considered art... well, collages are considered art, unless I'm mistaken, and I really don't see how these tags are any different.

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 02:05:24

At 9/15/11 01:14 AM, jeeshwa123 wrote: My criticism would be make your own art? Is that really hard to comprehend? Lay down your graphics and effects on something that you actually made.

Let's see if I've got it straight what's happening here:

"Hi, could I get some criticism on these things that I've made?"
"Fuck you! You're not even allowed to make those!"

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 02:44:16

*can't sleep, check out the forums* wow. fucking,.......just wow.
Feels real good knowing that my fellow artists got my back. have fun with your pretty photoshop.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 02:49:36

At 9/15/11 01:59 AM, Kumakun4 wrote:
Go ahead and try to make a sig as appealing as his on any of the subjects he's shown on his tag wall.

I challenge him to draw something equal to anything either of us have created. I know he'd happily take your art.

As far as whether or not it should be considered art... well, collages are considered art, unless I'm mistaken, and I really don't see how these tags are any different.

this is copyrighted art that a lot of work went into. collages are made from images and newspaper clippings. massive difference unless you'd wish to get technical.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 02:51:10

At 9/15/11 02:05 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 9/15/11 01:14 AM, jeeshwa123 wrote: My criticism would be make your own art? Is that really hard to comprehend? Lay down your graphics and effects on something that you actually made.
Let's see if I've got it straight what's happening here:

"Hi, could I get some criticism on these things that I've made?"
"Fuck you! You're not even allowed to make those!"

because that is exactly what i meant by "make your own art". no, you basically hit the nail right on the head.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 11:28:28

Ha triple post, somebody's on tilt.

By all means I have nothing against drawing and I like to draw but I am better at and more interested in graphic design so I'm going to pursue that, even if that includes making tags out of copyrighted images. Try to understand, using someone elses work in your work doesn't make it not art.

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 12:14:33

btw guys, which tag would you like to see a tutorial for?

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 12:44:40

Moving on from Jeesh's trolling...

I personally like the FFXIII one, hopefully there was enough work involved in it to make it worthy of a tutorial :o

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 14:57:20

At 9/15/11 12:44 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: Moving on from Jeesh's trolling...

LMFAO.
i have a million things to say to this, but I'll just quit while I'm ahead here, I'm very clearly in the minority.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 15:03:01

Nice collection you got there. The spider man one is probably my favorite, even though I thought the movie sucked.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-15 15:47:31

ignoring the shitstorm up there and ging on what these are all about, style.
A lot of these are actually pretty good sigs, but something they lack is contrast, like the spiderman one. With a blue or other complimenting highlight it'd pop a lot more.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-16 23:09:12

tbh I used a stock instead of a render for the ffxiii sig so there was a lot of rearranging but I'm halfway through making that tutorial now for you.

Anyone want a different tutorial?

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-17 15:02:35

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-17 16:12:47

At 9/17/11 03:02 PM, Marsupial wrote: FFXIII TAG TUTORIAL

Yeah, this isn't just some quick filter fucks, this is a pretty in depth process.

Response to tagwall 2011-09-17 19:52:43

yeah this isn't the first sig I would choose to make a tutorial for but I a decent amount of effort and precision went into it.

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature

Response to tagwall 2011-09-17 23:52:52

At 9/17/11 11:13 PM, VividGrim wrote: These look pretty good man. How long on average does it take you to make one? And how many layers do you wind up using?

thanks, erm a good few hours usually, but I never just flat out work on them, I make em while doing other stuff too so that's a difficult question to answer

Usually my tags have somewhere inbetween 20 and 40 layers

{+}dA{-}LASTFM

paypal

BBS Signature