00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Retro - An Unfit Term

1,340 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-10 22:22:27

I've got a few questions that I want to ask. When did people start to hate the whole retro gaming scene. A better question would be, where did it start? Well first we should look at this word retro, a term used in a chic style of going backwards as it were. I have come across two different terms in my dictionary when looking for the word retro and they are retrogress and retrospect.

Retrogress means to go backwards to an earlier or worse condition.
Retrospect means to give consideration or review of past events.

And this is where I talk about Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10.

Okay I want to get things straight right off the bat here. I did not grow up during the glory days of the NES. I was a Super Nintendo kid. I never played any of the Mega Man games of those times, why? Because I was a Mario kid. I have no nostalgic connections to Mega Man whatsoever, but I certainly knew who he was and what he did.

Yeah I've seen people play the Mega Man games, I know the music, I know how it all works. I'm not going to stand here and tell you that these are bad games or even good games, because I haven't played them. I'm just going to talk about these two and how I believe they are responsible for starting the retro movement in gaming.

When Mega Man 9 was announced, it was going back to the NES format (retrogress) and you know what this was actually a really good idea. Not only did it show the new gamers what an NES game looked and felt like to play, it also gave the old gamers something to take them back. This game hit on both levels really well. Let's face it though which group of people were more happy about it? That's right the old ones.

I really liked this idea and thought that if Capcom made a Mega Man 10, maybe they would go back to the Super Nintendo roots, that would have been a cool idea wouldn't it? Mega Man 9 got the NES 80's gamers and newer gamers sure, but if Mega Man 10 went with the Super Nintendo graphics then it would've brought in not only those 80's gamers who grew up, but those 90's kids as well as the newer gamers, it would be hitting three areas... as we all know though that wasn't the case.

Mega Man 10 would cater to those 80's fans, the older gamers, and go with the NES styled graphics again and fall like Mega Man V and VI did and show that it was just same old same old. It didn't impress, it just sat there, in disappointment.

Well that is what retrogressing does. It can work out if you know what you're doing. I mean Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1 turned out alright, nothing perfect, but alright. New Super Mario Bros. took the old style and kicked it up, so it worked. However there is one thing that I can't stand and that's the hardcore retrospective bunch, the Retro Gamers.

There is nothing wrong with looking back at the older games, hell there are even some games that were overlooked. Two games I remember fondly from my childhood were Parasite Eve and Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, so when I discovered the Internet I was surprised that not many people knew about these two games and they also did not care.

But you see Retro Gamers don't even care about that. They're the ones in the retirement homes just sitting around an NES, pitifully blowing into the cartridge and enjoying doing this, as if there is some magic there, yet when most of these gamers were probably seven they couldn't stand that the game wouldn't work. They're around this NES and talk about how games were better back in their days and nowadays games suck. Yeah you guys just keep telling yourselves that, I'll be over here playing Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Star Fox Assault.

What is it with these people? These are the same people who say that the Sonic Genesis days were the best days that the little blue guy has ever seen and will ever see, even though Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Colors did good to great jobs, not forgetting the handhelds mind you.

They say the older days were better and the newer days are crap. I made the mistake of thinking this once, I honestly thought the N64 and PlayStation were going to bomb and suck. Yet they both gave me some of my greatest gaming memories.

This hasn't really been thought out much I'll be honest, I'm just rambling, but hey it works for The Game Overthinker. At least I don't waste your time with some shitty little storyline, ah yes, we'll get to him soon enough.

Questions of the Day
Hey, yeah I know I've been a douche to this forum, but could you possibly just scroll back up and read that text, it would make me happy if you did.

1. What do you think of Mega Man 9?
2. What do you think of Mega Man 10?
3. Where do you stand on the whole Retro Gaming scene?
4. What do you think of The Game Overthinker?
5. Could you tell me how to get to Lon Lon Ranch?

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-10 22:42:18

I cant really reply to your answers but i like retro games and im 14.
I am also a huge fan of sonic and have played the genesis games.
i honestly like the simplicity in the old sonic games but i like how modern sonic is more exciting.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-10 23:58:13

I've only played a demo of 9 and have yet to play 10. But I do agree that 10 should've adopted the SNES department. 9 looks and feels like a nice throwback, like a "Oh, hey guys, let's take a trip back to the 80s!" 10 made what should have been a brief visit into a gimmick that says, "Screw the modern, retro's where it's at!" But that's just my two cents.

I think it's neat to play old games, and I'm quite accepting of the whole "retro" style. Are games back then better than today's? That's subjective. Some retro games are still some of the best a genre has to offer (ex. Super Mario Bros. 3, A Link to the Past, Doom, etc.), yet newer games offer new and/or improvements to make the game a lot more fun. Back to the retro style, sometimes retro graphics and styles in today's games can get repetitive and seem lazy; but when there's some style along with just the graphics (like Revenge of the Titans), it looks pretty good.

Never watched it.

JUMP DA FENCE, EPONA

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-11 02:55:55

Whoops. Serious thread in Video Game forum, my bad.

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-11 03:04:41

At 9/11/11 02:55 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Whoops. Serious thread in Video Game forum, my bad.

It's 3AM, and I would post here, but I'd have to come up with the words to describe my annoyance of the people who constantly bash modern video games and think anything before 2000 was born through Jesus Christ's butthole.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-11 05:30:34

I've never played any of the Mega Man games, aside from a brief attempt at playing one of the Gameboy (I think) versions. I seem to recall it being quite difficult.

I've never sold any of the consoles that I've had over the years and I still have pretty much every game I've ever bought. I even have systems, such as the Commodore 64 and Atari ST, which were before my time. I'll still buy retro consoles if I come across them. There's just something nice about them. The games were less complex but at the same time a lot more challenging for me. Sometimes I just enjoy the sheer simplicity of it. I'm not going to say that retro games are better than modern games, because I think they just shouldn't be compared. The advances in technology have just been too vast for that really.

I've actually never watched any of the videos but I generally don't watch things like that for some reason, despite being really into video games myself.

I only played OoT recently on an emulator. Sadly I never experience anything Nintendo as a kid, aside from Gameboys. SORRY!

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-11 06:58:34

Heard of the FFX "sport" game blitzball? Compare that to soccer or basketball, you'd agree that blitzball is a gimmick. Works the same way for video games.

In terms of complexity, new games can't beat older games. You don't get games like X-COM or Jagged Alliance anymore. Just FPS clones and 4-player zombie survivals and spinoffs.

Every new generation of games introduced different gameplay and content. Nowadays it's all recycled. Content have degraded to the point of relying on achievements to extend gameplay.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-24 19:12:12

At 9/11/11 06:58 AM, Jin wrote: Every new generation of games introduced different gameplay and content. Nowadays it's all recycled. Content have degraded to the point of relying on achievements to extend gameplay.

Well not all of it. Bioshock, Mass Effect, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and others have been taking old concepts and polishing them to something wonderful.

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-24 19:42:32

Haven't played but I liked some of the music for it
haven't played that one either ...i am more into virtual console titles
It doesn't matter to me they're just games
Only watched the graphics vs aesthetics topic the gameoverthinker did it's agreeable.
I haven't really gotten that far in ocarina of time , i have just been jerking around for a while after going to hyrule the first time.

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-24 20:09:34

At 9/10/11 10:22 PM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What do you think of Mega Man 9?

liked it. can speedrun Super Hero mode. didnt like the way the challenges were set-up/tracked

liked it. hundredpercent-ed the challenges and medals. Proto Man on Hard mode is masochistic fun

if it's fun it's fun. if it's not it's not. play what you like. i don't care. go whine about board games and card games if you think the older it is the less fun you can possibly have.

who? if that's supposed to be you i didn't pick up on it and if there was a reference in your post to this then i must've overlooked it

its in the middle of the map playa

BBS Signature

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-24 21:14:17

At 9/10/11 10:22 PM, The-Great-One wrote:

Looked okay, but I never played it. I was never a huge fan of the Mega Man series. I do like the retro game idea, but as Blaze mentioned above, I think it's so stupid to take out features like the slide once they've already been introduced into a game. Going backwards like that is just dumb.

Same way that I feel about Mega Man 9.

I enjoy it because I'm basically a Nintendo fanboy and nostalgiafag. I can see why others would hate it, though.

He's okay. I like Extra Credits more.

It's right next to Donkey Kong Jr.'s place.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-24 22:23:57

At 9/10/11 10:22 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day
Hey, yeah I know I've been a douche to this forum, but could you possibly just scroll back up and read that text, it would make me happy if you did.

Yeah you have. Fuck you for that.

I don't have much of an opinion because I've never been a Mega Man fan, only played a few of the really early games, but I did play the trial of 9 and thought it was really good, just not good enough to drop $10 on when I already have at least 8 Mega Man games sitting on my NES emulator that I haven't gotten round to playing yet.

I love older games because I grew up playing the Mega Drive, NES and SNES and then spent my preteens and early teens playing N64 games and PC shooters like Doom, Quake, Unreal and Half-Life. Most of my all-time favorite games come from the 90s and I'd love to see more re-releases, remakes and throwbacks like Mega Man 9 & 10.

He has done some really good episodes mostly in his early days but since being picked up by ScrewAttack he's just gotten silly. The whole story thing with his nemesis was a fucking joke and I haven't watched anything since episode 50.

Of course. I won't but I could.

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-24 22:29:38

Never touched it.

Also never touched it.

It's an excuse for people who can't draw.

I liked his older episodes, he went to shit when he started putting skits in.

No, I don't like you.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Retro - An Unfit Term 2011-09-24 23:20:31

Inever played a magaman game in my life, but I hate the way capcom markets their games seems theryre like squarenix milking fighting games and rebooting old successful games like resident evil 4 (the only good one.)

retro games is relative, i consider any game since 2003 to be old school. It's fun to play old titles but basing an entire franchise off of 5 early titles or ONE horrible game is just being a whiny bitch *sonic fanbase*

While intellectual in video games he tends to be too sensitive in terms of politics especially the Mick Vick case. I wanted to slap him.

Nope, cause I don't know what the hell that is.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature