00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Question - Voice Acting Methods?

784 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Question - Voice Acting Methods? 2011-09-10 17:13:18

A question to voice actors who have some experience collaborating with artists, or artists who use voice actors. What type of recording methods have you done?

I've only worked with a close voice acting friend of mine before, he's very gifted, but I have some work coming up that will require quite a few voices, and I don't really know a whole deal about collaborating with voice actors.

Do you usually grab your script, record it in small pieces and send the voice files over? Would it be odd to do, say... record a Skype call with 2-3 voice actors at a given time for any scene which requires overlapping voices, in order to make the voicing more fluent?

any other tips? I'm just trying to get a very natural, fluent form of conversation and dialogue.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Question - Voice Acting Methods? 2011-09-10 17:26:41

in the times I have done voicing, the artist usually sends me a script that I record line by line and then send the completed files to the artist for their use. I have had a couple of artists ask me to make the recording all one file and send it to them that way and they would handle everything that way. I have had other VA friends that have done the skype recording and that is not an unusual concept. What it really boils down to is which method you think will work best for your production.

I hope I helped.

Response to Question - Voice Acting Methods? 2011-09-12 20:26:00

I'd say judge it based on what you think would work best for the production. I've been voice acting for a few years now and most people just send out the script and receive lines via email... then put all the lines together. However if you're looking for a scenario where voice actors can work off each other's talents for optimum blending of lines, a Skype call could be just the thing.

Keep in mind with the Skype call that it's best to ask each voice actor to record while they're in the call if possible and then ask them to send in that recording. It makes for clearer lines and you don't have to deal with issues like lag and reduced quality.

As for email, make sure to specify how you want lines recorded (all in one file, separate labeled clips, etc). This is more for your organization and peace of mind because you don't want to lose track of lines you've received and make your VAs re-record the lines.