00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dieswyx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

TOFA 2011 Winner

15,666 Views | 62 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-06 17:35:59

At 9/6/11 03:05 PM, FrozenFire wrote: I put up "Flash of the Titans" on Nitwitt's name change nominees and it seemed pretty popular.

Damn that IS a fun name... The only drawback is if we want to continue to have Flash in the name, or let people use whatever animation medium they want.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-06 19:39:34

At 9/6/11 05:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/6/11 03:05 PM, FrozenFire wrote: I put up "Flash of the Titans" on Nitwitt's name change nominees and it seemed pretty popular.
Damn that IS a fun name... The only drawback is if we want to continue to have Flash in the name, or let people use whatever animation medium they want.

Yeah ... my only beef with the TOFA name is that it always reminded me of "tofu".

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-06 19:54:34

At 9/6/11 07:39 PM, RicePirate wrote: Yeah ... my only beef with the TOFA name is that it always reminded me of "tofu".

yea tofu is fucking gross. thats the main reason i didnt want to participate.

None

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-06 19:59:49

At 9/6/11 05:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Single-Elimination Animation Tournament, or SEAT.

Yes indeed names that spell unrelated words as acronyms are the best names.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-06 20:29:32

Wow! Didnt know this Forum was up! I should check these things more often! Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Im actually doing my interview with The Interviewer right now! It was hard, but so well worth it because Im definitely better than I was beforehand and benefited greatly from all the press. Thanks so much!

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-06 22:12:29

At 9/6/11 07:54 PM, Luis wrote:
At 9/6/11 07:39 PM, RicePirate wrote: Yeah ... my only beef with the TOFA name is that it always reminded me of "tofu".

Oh, Luis.

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 00:06:17

At 9/6/11 07:54 PM, Luis wrote:

Nice excuse you lazy mexican.

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 01:03:24

Without stirring any controversy (at all) I firmly believe that Jack Hollander is about three times better at animating than Dave Bruno. Or four.

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 01:05:00

Excuse the mistake, Jake.

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 01:33:50

Congrats Dave.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 02:00:52

At 9/7/11 01:53 AM, Mark-er wrote:
At 9/7/11 01:03 AM, RatherRandom wrote: Without stirring any controversy (at all) I firmly believe that Jack Hollander is about three times better at animating than Dave Bruno. Or four.
Lol, it's one thing to think he's better than Dave, but to say he's 3, no FOUR times bettur(!) implies that there's a HUGE gap in quality, which there isn't, not even close.

I think there is a gap in actual animation, but a Flash is also storytelling, voices, adequate choice of music, atmosphere, etc. So maybe Jake lacks in some of those but as far as pure animating skill I think he is better. 4 or 5 times ;) or 6

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 02:11:46

Congrats Davebruno

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 03:05:08

haha,very cool!

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 03:33:58

At 9/7/11 02:43 AM, Mark-er wrote:
At 9/7/11 02:00 AM, RatherRandom wrote: I think there is a gap in actual animation, but a Flash is also storytelling, voices, adequate choice of music, atmosphere, etc. So maybe Jake lacks in some of those but as far as pure animating skill I think he is better. 4 or 5 times ;) or 6
There isn't a gap in the actual animation, Dave incorporates all 12 of the principles of animation quite seamlessly. There isn't any one area where Dave struggles at that Jake exceeds at animation-wise. And judging by your submissions, you're probably not very educated/informed in animation to make such a bold claim and back it up, no offense intended.

Look, kid, I don't know if you're a fanboy of Bruno or something, but calling someone not very educated and then adding no offense intended is pretty fucking stupid. Offense intended, defense needed. I don't want to spoil it for the winner. I find him to be an excellent animator. He has enough people congratulating him already and I am happy for him. I feel gutted for the guy who came in second place and really think he should get more recognition. As for my own animating skills.... Peace and love from the current king of the protal.

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 04:05:00

I don't see a problem with Dave's animation :\

His drawing style is very consistent and attractive too so that's a plus.

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 07:31:45

Congrats DaveBruno!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 09:45:39

:At 9/7/11 02:00 AM, RatherRandom wrote:
:As for my own animating skills.... Peace and love from the current king of the protal.

Yeah... how did that work? I thought KotP was based on daily awards ... *cough*

Please don't call Mark-er, "kid", for your own sake. While he may be easily distracted, he is a knowledgeable and very talented animator. And while I agree that LazyMode tends to dig deeper than Bruno in terms of story telling, saying that he's 6x better at animating seems fairly biased. And I am far from a "fanboy" of Bruno.

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 13:18:31

At 9/7/11 09:45 AM, RicePirate wrote:
At 9/7/11 02:00 AM, RatherRandom wrote:
As for my own animating skills.... Peace and love from the current king of the protal.

Please don't call Mark-er, "kid", for your own sake. While he may be easily distracted, he is a knowledgeable and very talented animator. And while I agree that LazyMode tends to dig deeper than Bruno in terms of story telling, saying that he's 6x better at animating seems fairly biased. And I am far from a "fanboy" of Bruno.

I want to apologize to both Bruno and Mark-er for being retarded. And sorry for decrowning you, sir. What exactly determines who has that title, though?

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 13:23:00

At 9/7/11 01:18 PM, RatherRandom wrote:
At 9/7/11 09:45 AM, RicePirate wrote:
At 9/7/11 02:00 AM, RatherRandom wrote:
As for my own animating skills.... Peace and love from the current king of the protal.
I want to apologize to both Bruno and Mark-er for being retarded. And sorry for decrowning you, sir. What exactly determines who has that title, though?

The Wiki says that it's based on daily awards accumulated over the month. 1st being worth 3pts, 2nd being 2pts, 3rd being 1pt, while 4th and 5th places get 0. At the end of the month, highest score is awarded the KotP ... but it looks like the wiki must be wrong.

And don't worry about decrowning me :) There's plenty more deserving artists/animators/game makers/VAs /musicians lol

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 13:47:06

::sits on a log, pulls out a Marshmallow on a stick (Blobby?) and toasts it over the Flame War:: Oh dont mind me people! I like em nice and burnt!

lol but in all seriousness, I half agree with Random, but with a few amendments. Jake is definitely, without a doubt, 5 to 6 TIMES a better ARTIST than me. His style is so strange and detailed that I love staring at it, and his characters are a wonderful treat on the eyes. You should see his work outside of Flash, its even better. However, and I believe this makes sense, I am maybe PLUS 5 (not times, so not by that much.) a better ANIMATOR than him. When we were in College, I studied Traditional Animation, so I learned all the tricks and theories and ins and outs of why things move the way they move (or SHOULDN'T move to make them more appealing to the eye.), whereas Jake studied CG Animation (as did my Twin Brother.) and it seemed like the CG Animators didn't learn HOW to animate, but more so HOW to use the CG Programs TO animate. This being said, I noticed Jake is still an extremely great animator (especially when he told me he JUST picked up Flash like in January this year.) but he does have some faults here and there. Nothing major, but could use a little fine tuning, like his weights, timing and anticipations I believe could be a little more focused. There's a famous quote that I believe works extremely well with animation, and that quote is "If you're doing your job right, people wont even notice you did your job at all." and its the little subtleties like that that can help Jake out in the future. His STRENGTHS however I believe outway these, like his crazy awesome camera angles especially! Its more like Jake is just different, we aren't better or worse than each other. He's more abstract and I'm more comedic. But still, even abstraction needs its realistic subtleties.

And me? Hell yeah I'm not perfect! lol If I had to be a judge of my animations, I would say my biggest faults lie in clean up and proportions. I have a problem with my characters shrinking over time (or moving slightly left for whatever reason.) and I think I've had that problem ever since I started animating in College. I have definitely gotten better at it because you barely notice it anymore, but its still a major fault of mine. That and I'm a little impatient with clean up. I have more as well, but I don't want anyone to notice ALLL my faults lol.

Basically what Im saying is that everyone has their own opinion, Random isn't wrong per say (although he was a little harsh lol) that's just the way he views it. These views are very important to me, because chances are he is not the only one who's thinking that. Closing remarks, let me say this, its thanks to remarks like these that make me want to try even harder, so then I can make Random (and people like Random) want to say that about me instead. :) So thanks! In a long winded way! lol

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 14:00:42

It was quite arrogant to say Jake is X times better than you Dave. Congrats on winning this tough tournament, it does take a lot of determination, skill and hard work to achieve what you did! I am glad to see you are striving to get even better and I wish you luck for the future.

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 14:03:39

... but it looks like the wiki must be wrong.

I got daily 1st and 2nd recently but that's about it, I was honestly very surprised too see my name there.

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 14:07:05

At 9/7/11 02:03 PM, RatherRandom wrote:
... but it looks like the wiki must be wrong.
I got daily 1st and 2nd recently but that's about it, I was honestly very surprised too see my name there.

Yup, I saw that :) congrats on those. Still, wiki must be wrong. </derail>

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 17:54:11

Grats again Dave, and nice speech. <3

-Jake

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-07 23:05:06

Congratz to all Winners :3

Quack!

Woundersplenndin'!

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-08 01:34:12

lol I got two daily firsts and weekly third Im pretty sure KOTP isn't what Wiki says

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-08 07:58:22

ill be king one day. not today, cause im going back to bed. bye

None

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-08 22:56:08

At 9/8/11 07:58 AM, Luis wrote: ill be king one day. not today, cause im going back to bed. bye

King one day, Queen of the Mattresses everyday.

Sexy Yes? I would think so :3

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-09 01:33:44

At 9/8/11 07:58 AM, Luis wrote: ill be king one day. not today, cause im going back to bed. bye

You're already king where it counts, Luis. In my heart.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to TOFA 2011 Winner 2011-09-09 04:46:26

grunga munga

BBS Signature