Be a Supporter!

Essay on a personal experience

  • 199 Views
  • 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Xxf3nxX
Xxf3nxX
  • Member since: May. 18, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Writer
Essay on a personal experience 2011-08-30 01:18:40 Reply

Has time rendered programming languages obsolete?

I've spent my share of time around computers. Growing up, and having a parent specializing in I.T.
Computers, hardware and software (video games too), just always seemed within my reach.

I've studied the various aspects of computers. I know a little something about their history. I know a little something about how they're made, programmed, distributed, and valued. I know a little something about their uses, why their used and such.

My discussion so-forth will focus primarily on the languages people use to program these handy inventions.

It so happened that a little bird told me about college student benefits regarding Microsoft Visual Studio. When I first obtained the software (it was free, in case you didn't know), I didn't really do much, mostly figuring what it even is (I didn't know).

Last month, I decided to invest some time with Visual Studio. I became proficient with Visual Basic in 5 days. How to make my program do what I wanted it to do became easier with each day. By day 9 I scrapped my project to learn programming. I flipped through the other environments Visual Studio boasts, vis-a-vis, I checked out the other languages.

Notions outside the realm of my focus began formulating within me.
"Someone already made software like this."
"This program needs purpose."
"Nobody needs this kind of stuff."
etc.

The point I am surfacing is this: It's halfway passed 2011. Anyone who's ever been good at coding or worked on a project, or whatever has made software that can make the computer do what you want in plain English (or whatever human language). Right? Even if I knew 4 languages inside out, anything I make would not be unique or original. Or, I could have 3 different IDEs but nothing I would code would be powerful enough to topple security of I.T. systems globally. Perhaps, knowing a thing or two about programming is useful but as of now, I reject the idea of ever learning one.

~Xxf3nxX of Team Inner-comet (Le Équipe Cométe-noyau)


I like beginnings.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Essay on a personal experience 2011-08-30 08:23:54 Reply

Your point doesn't seem to be very clear, so forgive me if I misunderstood you, but you're basically saying that programming languages are useless because...everything's been done before? If so, you can say the same about literally anything, and it's never true.

You can do a lot with programming. I don't see what the problem is.

The point I am surfacing is this: It's halfway passed 2011. Anyone who's ever been good at coding or worked on a project, or whatever has made software that can make the computer do what you want in plain English (or whatever human language)

So you're basically saying you want to replace programming languages with human languages? High level languages are already as close to human language as it can get.

Xxf3nxX
Xxf3nxX
  • Member since: May. 18, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Writer
Response to Essay on a personal experience 2011-08-30 11:31:22 Reply

At 8/30/11 08:23 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Your point doesn't seem to be very clear, so forgive me if I misunderstood you, but you're basically saying that programming languages are useless because...everything's been done before? If so, you can say the same about literally anything, and it's never true.

You can do a lot with programming. I don't see what the problem is.

The point I am surfacing is this: It's halfway passed 2011. Anyone who's ever been good at coding or worked on a project, or whatever has made software that can make the computer do what you want in plain English (or whatever human language)
So you're basically saying you want to replace programming languages with human languages? High level languages are already as close to human language as it can get.

i know what you're saying. my essay is hardly a theory, not really something i could prove with facts either.

i'm not trying to dupe anyone into thinking i'm some sort of expert. the flaw that prevents my essay from being factual isthe lack of evidence. but fear not, eventually and hopefully, the impartialness of my essay should become whole and true.


I like beginnings.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Essay on a personal experience 2011-08-31 06:36:42 Reply

At 8/30/11 11:31 AM, Xxf3nxX wrote: i'm not trying to dupe anyone into thinking i'm some sort of expert. the flaw that prevents my essay from being factual isthe lack of evidence. but fear not, eventually and hopefully, the impartialness of my essay should become whole and true.

That's cool and all, but it'd be nice if you can answer my questions and clarify your point. I'm just curious.

Xxf3nxX
Xxf3nxX
  • Member since: May. 18, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Writer
Response to Essay on a personal experience 2011-09-01 14:47:15 Reply

At 8/31/11 06:36 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 8/30/11 11:31 AM, Xxf3nxX wrote: i'm not trying to dupe anyone into thinking i'm some sort of expert. the flaw that prevents my essay from being factual isthe lack of evidence. but fear not, eventually and hopefully, the impartialness of my essay should become whole and true.
That's cool and all, but it'd be nice if you can answer my questions and clarify your point. I'm just curious.

Both of your questions propose suppositions that can be drawn conclusively from my essay.

I did not even implied that everything's been done before or any such similar statement. Merely, to answer your first question, I proposed the idea that, any code one could write could very well be design code, at this point in time.

As for your second question, my wants and your assumptions are completely different subjects. I did not express any such want in my essay, rather I suggested that by now, software could be available that can program software without learning a computer programming language.

As for taking my essay like it's the truth above all truth, I fear for you. I was really expressing how time can be changing force of nature and related it to something in my life.

Hopefully, you're not so confused by me anymore.


I like beginnings.