New Topic Respond to this Topic
MarkArandjus
MarkArandjus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-27 21:07:02 Reply

So basically I'm working on my guitar tone, specifically my metal one.

It's a courtesy to list the gear, so...
Ibanez GAX30 (tuned to D), Roland Cube 15X, Aplitube Metal 2
Humble gear so I'm trying to get the best out of it.

My guitar tone inspirations are Lamb of God for it's thick crunch and Mastodon for the big sludgy tones.
I don't expect to make super polished super produced guitar tracks like those bands, but I would like to make a decent sounding metal tone.

I just need opinions; does anything bother you, recommendations?
Link (this guitar track includes a lead guitar, ignore that, listen to the palm muted one)
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=Yr29FU

I'm a tad dislexic, don't hate me.

MillsApparatus
MillsApparatus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-27 23:11:08 Reply

Too much bass, not clarity in the mids or highs, overly distorted and difficult to gauge a sense of melody underneath all of the effects. Town it down, roll off your bass and try again.

Genius Music. Simply Great. Jakob Mills.

trabajaba7
trabajaba7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-28 12:51:37 Reply

I think it's a little to digitalized if you know what i mean, the effects sound like theyre being run through a computer, maybe a little less gain and more volume instead could help, but it sounds like you're using a line 6 amp and if so then that digitalized sound will never go away.

Crashing Smashing, Lots of noise all around him, ....
if you are lucky his friends will send for all the king's horses and all the kings men

HighBallers
HighBallers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-28 12:54:03 Reply

not bad broo, it is a lil bass-y. I know its not your guitar cuz ibanez' are tight. ampitude? is that some kind of pedal? i think thats your problem, pedals are lame, im all about straight up guitar and amp. Cubes are okay amps though, you need to invest in some serious amps. high end digital amps are the way to go nowadays.

Kylenorbury
Kylenorbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-28 13:47:34 Reply

I agree with everyone about the bass too high part. That's what the bass guitar is for. To make your guitar sound heavier while allowing you to have clarity. I have a line 6 valve and I always get compliments on my tone. THe lower models suck at high volumes I agree and are pretty digital sounding. I use the line 6 XT to record everything with. you can get whatever sound you want if you take the time.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-28 17:05:55 Reply

The bass content is fine, though I'd reconsider when adding a bass. But that's been said.

There's alot of fizz, though. Try scooping your mids less ( keeping them at 3-4 is plenty low!) and adding less distortion. It sounds like sacralidge but very few metal records actually use those stupidly-high-gain settings. The reason the gain can go that high is so that low output single coils on a Behringer Strat can get the same amount of clipping as a set of Humbuckers. Problem is that it takes about half the gain to full saturate on the humbuckers - I've a freind with a set of actives on his and if he turns his gain beyond 3/4 on his amp (Marshall JMC) it just sounds like a crisp packet being crinkled.

HighBallers
HighBallers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-29 01:38:18 Reply

At 8/28/11 05:05 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: The bass content is fine, though I'd reconsider when adding a bass. But that's been said.

There's alot of fizz, though. Try scooping your mids less ( keeping them at 3-4 is plenty low!) and adding less distortion.

agreed to this, mids low and bass and highs....high.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to How's my guitar tone? 2011-08-29 12:25:42 Reply

At 8/29/11 01:38 AM, HighBallers wrote:
agreed to this, mids low and bass and highs....high.

I was actually saying his tone sounds over scooped. More mids, not less! Too much scooping can rob a guitar tone of its aggression