00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Skullgirls official topic.

12,391 Views | 110 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-26 21:59:26

Skullgirls is a 2D hand drawn fighting game by developed by reverge games, and is set to come out this year.
Some major things about the gameplay include: an anti-infinite system, that can detect when a player is in an infinite, they can press a button and escape, and it's interface is similar to MvC. (3 characters, can switch between them, assists,etc.) There are 8 characters confirmed, but DLC wouldn't be suprising. This game is looking really good, and I can't wait.

LINKS:

Evo 2011 gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOnh0PT9p hM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDsKxsbZC lA&feature=related

GDC trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j0WM_RBi UI&feature=fvst

Gamertag: Evilchicken43

"Screw those people, I have pancakes."

Sig by simon

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-26 23:02:08

Yes the game looks cool, I would get it, but man I have too many fighting games already and adding ultimate marvel vs. capcom 3 to the list, I just can't manage all of them, fighting games all have one thing in common that irk me, well two. A.I. that can magically predict what im going to do before I do it and block it (air attack, duck attack, ranged attack, GRAB attack!) and when playing online you have to be a super stiff pro-expert turbo brawler MAXIMUM SENSEI OF THE JOYSTICK MASTER! To stand a chance against anybody.....

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-26 23:14:30

At 8/26/11 11:02 PM, sweet21 wrote:

and when playing online you have to be a super stiff pro-expert turbo brawler MAXIMUM SENSEI OF THE JOYSTICK MASTER! To stand a chance against anybody.....

I know exactly where you're coming from, and this is why I have high hopes for the anti infinite system, I can't even recall all the times I've been juggled the whole match by some supermegaMLGhyperventilationpro1337. I also forgot to mention this in the OP but this will be using the GGPO online system for nearly no lag. (SF 3rd strike online edition uses this as well.)

Sig by simon

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-27 00:12:52

At 8/26/11 11:02 PM, sweet21 wrote: Yes the game looks cool, I would get it, but man I have too many fighting games already and adding ultimate marvel vs. capcom 3 to the list, I just can't manage all of them, fighting games all have one thing in common that irk me, well two. A.I. that can magically predict what im going to do before I do it and block it (air attack, duck attack, ranged attack, GRAB attack!) and when playing online you have to be a super stiff pro-expert turbo brawler MAXIMUM SENSEI OF THE JOYSTICK MASTER! To stand a chance against anybody.....

Get better. Don't get hit. All AI cannot predict zoning tactics.

Skullgirls is going to be amazing. You can see how much effort and dedication they put in it. Also, I like the fact that they understand where the fighting game playerbase is comming from, and how they borrow elements from fighting games (Mvc3, SSIV,Mk9,etc.) to see what works and what doesn't.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-27 21:46:53

I'm a huge fighting game fan and definitely excited for Skullgirls. I was concerned about the infinite detection system being a bit of a gimmick, but after thinking about it more it seems to make a whole lot of sense. You basically will have to get more creative with your combos to make sure you're not looping anything, which doesn't sound like a bad thing at all. Plus, just having it there really opens the door up to what they can develop.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the 3v3... I definitely prefer a good 1 on 1 match, but maybe Skullgirls will bring me around. Who knows? Either way, definitely looking forward to it.

Strip-Arcade (NSFW)

Come play with us...

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-28 09:43:55

At 8/27/11 09:46 PM, strip-arcade wrote:
The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the 3v3... I definitely prefer a good 1 on 1 match, but maybe Skullgirls will bring me around. Who knows? Either way, definitely looking forward to it.

I believe there will be a ratio system, so you can have one strong character, two medium characters, or three weaker characters. But they are all equal.

Sig by simon

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-28 11:36:13

At 8/28/11 09:43 AM, wafflecake12 wrote: I believe there will be a ratio system, so you can have one strong character, two medium characters, or three weaker characters. But they are all equal.

Sounds like what tatsunoko vs. capcom did. Where you can play as a boss character but you were not allowed a partner. Chances are there won't be very many "strong" characters. Probably a bunch of mediums and weaks.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-08-28 12:49:04

At 8/28/11 09:43 AM, wafflecake12 wrote:
At 8/27/11 09:46 PM, strip-arcade wrote:
I believe there will be a ratio system, so you can have one strong character, two medium characters, or three weaker characters. But they are all equal.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember that being mentioned somewhere. Maybe I can deal with two medium characters, but I usually prefer specializing in one quick character with aerial mixups... like Kitana in MK9 or Juri in SSF4.

Strip-Arcade (NSFW)

Come play with us...

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-09-26 22:28:19

Skullgirls is now launching in early 2012, as opposed to 2011, as they've been saying. I'm a little saddened by this, but with all the games coming out, I don't think this will be too bad. Also, it let's them tweak the game more, and I'd rather have a finished game later that a rushed unbalanced piece of crap earlier. Oh well, still excited.

Sig by simon

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-09-26 22:38:11

Rule 34 be damned.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2011-09-26 22:44:05

So. All female character roster? Hm...kinda turns me away slightly.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-11 02:25:38

So. Only 8 playable characters, few modes, and no moves list. This game....
There is no moves list in game, your suppose to look it up on the skullgirls website. Damn shame.
The roster is horrid. No fighting game should EVER have less than 12 characters. The standard for a roster has raised since the 80's guys, get with it!

I had fun with it, the game was gorgeous, it was charming, but the asking price for so little content is a crime against humanity. This game is worth no more than $5. Wait for it to come on sale, it's not worth it.

Everything you see in skullgirls has been done everywhere else, and better. Unless they shell out DLC fast, this game will die. Don't expect much from the online community either, there is little reason to stick around.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-11 04:50:54

At 4/11/12 02:25 AM, sweet21 wrote: So. Only 8 playable characters, few modes, and no moves list. This game....
There is no moves list in game, your suppose to look it up on the skullgirls website. Damn shame.
The roster is horrid. No fighting game should EVER have less than 12 characters. The standard for a roster has raised since the 80's guys, get with it!

8 characters, every single one with unique, fluid animations, neither one has the same moveset, playstyle, or even animation (save for Double, who mimics the cast but has her own specials and supers.) Each fighter is very detailed and has the most frame per animation in any fighter. They are all 2D hand drawn sprites, and you can easily tell how much effort went to each one. I would rather have 8 unique, beautifully animated characters than 32 ugly characters where many share similar models and movements.

I had fun with it, the game was gorgeous, it was charming, but the asking price for so little content is a crime against humanity. This game is worth no more than $5. Wait for it to come on sale, it's not worth it.

The game is worth $5? Do you know how much effort they put into this game? I bought it and I am more than satisfied with that they put in. Hell, I would recommend this game to be anyone first fighter, simply because of how great the tutorial was. Best tutorial in any game ever.

Everything you see in skullgirls has been done everywhere else, and better. Unless they shell out DLC fast, this game will die. Don't expect much from the online community either, there is little reason to stick around.

This game is easily the best fighter out this year, maybe even this generation. Of course, in my opinion. Yeah, only 8 characters is a shame, but there will be extra characters out in the future. Everything in the game is done to amazingly. The characters, the voices, the quotes, there are a lot of humorous things in this game and everyone should get it.

PSN ID: DMANSLAND, Wii number: too lazy to look up, Manliness level: GODLY

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-11 21:55:31

At 4/11/12 04:50 AM, dmansland wrote:
8 characters, every single one with unique, fluid animations, neither one has the same moveset, playstyle, or even animation (save for Double, who mimics the cast but has her own specials and supers.) Each fighter is very detailed and has the most frame per animation in any fighter. They are all 2D hand drawn sprites, and you can easily tell how much effort went to each one. I would rather have 8 unique, beautifully animated characters than 32 ugly characters where many share similar models and movements.

You ever play king of fighters 13?

The game is worth $5? Do you know how much effort they put into this game?

You know how much effort was put into hydrophobia?
I bought it and I am more than satisfied with that they put in. Hell, I would recommend this game to be anyone first fighter, simply because of how great the tutorial was. Best tutorial in any game ever.
The game was fun to play but I don't see myself holding onto it for longer than afew weeks. I'll get bored of seeing the same thing all the time.

The game though fun, is severely lacking. And if the game isn't complete why release it? Still no moves list BTW.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-11 22:05:16

for those not aware, it was released today on PSN and I believe it comes out on XBLA tomorrow.
frankly, I'm willing to support it on the basis that it's a good fighting game getting released for pc. which is normally something only capcom does.

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-12 01:00:38

At 4/11/12 09:55 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 4/11/12 04:50 AM, dmansland wrote:
You ever play king of fighters 13?

Own it, not all hand drawn. Not every single animation is made with 2D sprites

The game is worth $5? Do you know how much effort they put into this game?
You know how much effort was put into hydrophobia?

What?

I bought it and I am more than satisfied with that they put in. Hell, I would recommend this game to be anyone first fighter, simply because of how great the tutorial was. Best tutorial in any game ever.
The game was fun to play but I don't see myself holding onto it for longer than afew weeks. I'll get bored of seeing the same thing all the time.

It will get DLC. It has been confirmed that there will be lobby patches, movelist patch, extra characters and the like.
For such a low budget game, its amazing.

The game though fun, is severely lacking. And if the game isn't complete why release it? Still no moves list BTW.

See above

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-12 22:45:54

King of Fighters XIII is not really "drawn" it was traced. They had 3D models and traced over them.
There is a wiki with the movelists, and the game is $15 bucks. The versus mode (what matters most in a fighting game) plays better than some $50 games *cough SFxT cough*.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-18 05:29:58

At 4/18/12 05:19 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: OH GOD I suck at this game

Well probably at fighting games.

I got my ass kicked two times in a row by my own character's alt. Maybe this is what I get for playing FPS for 3 years straight

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I like to consider myself being above-average when it comes to fighting games, but I kept getting my ass handed to me in the trial for Skullgirls, even after trying to learn the two characters in training.
Don't get me wrong, I think Skullgirls is a fantastic game! But it likes kicking my ass way too much. Maybe I'm not used to it, I don't know. I just can't do any good in it.

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-18 05:53:36

Am i the only person who is interested in the character Peacock?
for some reason i really want to kill people using over sized mallets and bombs with faces on them.

Does anyone actually read these?

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-18 14:57:29

At 4/18/12 05:53 AM, f12guy wrote: Am i the only person who is interested in the character Peacock?
for some reason i really want to kill people using over sized mallets and bombs with faces on them.

She's too rangy for me. I dislike the whole zone/range game so I won't be using her. I do love her level 3 super

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-18 22:14:18

It's pretty good. One of my friends worked on it.

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-19 02:56:26

Are they going to nerf Marie at one point? I will give the game credit, the community isn't absolute shit and unlike SF or MVC you can create your own combos from scratch instead of following templates. In fact, it's the only fighting game I have ever played where I DON'T want to throw the controller across the room, for the golden reason every game should follow: "it's my fault, not the games." In every other fighting game I have played the controls were kinda sloppy when performing combos or some characters were carelessly made.

That in mind, however much it does right, Marie is the main flaw in the game story and arcade mode. Fighting game I think are notorious for having horrible final bosses (Think about Azazel, Seth, Shao khan, Taboo etc.) Well out of all the fighting games I have ever played Marie is quite possibly the worst.
Most of her attacks come out of nowhere, some with warning but others....not so much. Namely the dead that come out of the ground and the gangster with the Tommy gun. And oh my god the skulls.....MARIE IS A SPAM CHARACTER! Son of a BITCH!
But maaaaaaaaybe it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for her third, and final form.....

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-19 03:28:15

My favorite team: Peacock and ms.fortune. Favorite character: ms.fortune.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-19 09:42:02

At 4/19/12 05:16 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: I keep getting to Marie with her but I can't beat her final form. Next time I'm going to try the in air move where Peacock pulls out a shotgun. Hopefully I win.

That shotgun was the only reason I won. Parasoul is the character that will have the most trouble against Marie.

Anyway, forgot to post this last night:
PSN: big-ant59
My avatar is that of a "darktoon" from Rayman origins, you'll know it when you see it. My difficulty is "casual." I don't like to corner trap. If I get you in i'll rough you up abit but back off after the first combo.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-19 20:02:28

I've been playing as Ms. Fortune mostly, she seems to be the most suited to my style, anti-infinte system is killing me, just doing little loops in your combos gets you bursted, I prefer hitstun decay, but I'll deal with it.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-20 14:13:18

At 4/20/12 03:48 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: Does anyone know how to unlock the skins 9 and 10 for characters?

You unlock skin 9 by getting a certain number of wins with said character, and color 10 you have to input a code at the controller selection screen in local versus

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-21 16:01:18

At 4/19/12 08:02 PM, MintPaw wrote: I've been playing as Ms. Fortune mostly, she seems to be the most suited to my style, anti-infinte system is killing me, just doing little loops in your combos gets you bursted, I prefer hitstun decay, but I'll deal with it.

IPS should be the least of your problems and actually increases comboabilitiy. Pretty much, as long as you don't use the Move you used to start a combo again after your second loop your combo is fine.

IPS System allows unquestioningly more comboability with your characters as long as long as you follow that simple rule (even as bad as I put it).

The game is beautiful, and DLC and patches WILL be coming people, Mike Z confirmed quite a cast of DLC characters that they are working on, and that the small stuff (movelist, training mode options,etc.) will be patched in as well.

Games Amazing, Throws and Resets play a hell of a large part in SG. Also, no crouch tech, and the tech window is pretty damn small (seems like 3 frames imo).

Best part besides the characters has to be the fact that you can have any move you want be an assist, using Valentine's throw is too good.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-22 18:52:05

I was caught in afew infinites the other day and just realized....what button do I press to counter infinites? I have done it once or twice, I always thought it was front and square, but now im not so sure. Tutorials don't mention anything, I don't think the moves list does either, and it's not in "how to play"

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-22 19:41:07

At 4/22/12 06:52 PM, sweet21 wrote: I was caught in afew infinites the other day and just realized....what button do I press to counter infinites? I have done it once or twice, I always thought it was front and square, but now im not so sure. Tutorials don't mention anything, I don't think the moves list does either, and it's not in "how to play"

Any button will do to get out

BBS Signature

Response to Skullgirls official topic. 2012-04-23 19:40:18

At 4/22/12 06:52 PM, sweet21 wrote: I was caught in afew infinites the other day and just realized....what button do I press to counter infinites? I have done it once or twice, I always thought it was front and square, but now im not so sure. Tutorials don't mention anything, I don't think the moves list does either, and it's not in "how to play"

An "infinite" is only an infinite if you start flashing red. Then you can press any button to escape it, however alot of players now a days are doing infinites to bait the burst and do some unscaled damage to you and potentially kill you.

Parasoul and Valentine are looking TOO damn GOOD!

BBS Signature