New Topic Respond to this Topic
AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-26 18:00:23 Reply

I'm going to create a new thread (with Turkey's permission). I haven't been on Newgrounds for quite a while, but this time I have a tablet and I somewhat know how to use it. I'm just trying to get constructive criticism on digital painting and the sort!

(Lock my old thread please http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1200 021)

I'll throw this on the table first, if there's any way I can make it stand out more and look better, let me know.

It's just a madness ghost, WIP obviously. Thanks in advanced!

AJ

My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 00:45:21 Reply

I took advice from somebody that told me to use lighter lights and darker darks, also get rid of the outline, I think it turned out well, but who knows! What do you think?

jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 00:51:10 Reply

a madness starter image is the wrong way to try to get people to critique you. it's nothing but a couple shapes. I can't really judge your artistic ability until you draw something more substantial :3

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 00:54:46 Reply

Okay I get it, but I was really just trying to focus on shading. I'll finish some of the other things I started on.

Thanks

google521
google521
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 06:06:03 Reply

Agree with you

Education Reference - Food Drink - wedding - Style - artThe site is secure, please tell me if there are risks.

BBS Signature
BrainworkInProgress
BrainworkInProgress
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 08:13:52 Reply

I liked the first picture more. Because the light side on the second picture is very unclear as in where the body ends.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 08:33:37 Reply

At 8/27/11 08:13 AM, BrainworkInProgress wrote: I liked the first picture more. Because the light side on the second picture is very unclear as in where the body ends.

I think that may be because my cheap 5 second backgroud, let me try changing it to a darker one to see if it's any better.

Also currently working on some other stuff too.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 09:03:03 Reply

Checking proportions while I color.

Plague Doctor!

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 09:04:27 Reply

Sorry.. hit post it by accident,

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 10:13:54 Reply

I realized the back was down way too far and the hat was kind of big. I'm happy with how it has turned out so far. Any possible changes let me know!

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 14:42:04 Reply

Okay I tried to fix up some lines, make them more smooth looking.

DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 15:11:41 Reply

At 8/27/11 02:42 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: Okay I tried to fix up some lines, make them more smooth looking.

try to get some softer shades inbetween those lines. Pretty harsh contrasts as is.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 16:08:36 Reply

It looks nice, but I agree with what's been said above.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 16:29:31 Reply

Do you guys mean like where the shadows on the arm are?

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 16:54:42 Reply

Remove that background and draw one, I'd say you rework the proportions a bit too, just because you were conscious of it being off, and correcting it would only be beneficial

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-27 17:36:32 Reply

At 8/27/11 10:13 AM, AJtheRipper wrote: I realized the back was down way too far and the hat was kind of big. I'm happy with how it has turned out so far. Any possible changes let me know!

yeah much better example :) you seem to have a well understanding of shading. you're donig a great job on that piece :D

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-30 16:55:28 Reply

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I took a break from the Doctor and started working on blending. I found a pretty cool tutorial on youtube, I pretty much followed that step by step which shows this person's technique of blending / brush usage. It helped me a lot as far as shading goes. Any nubs out there like me check out that video!

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-30 16:59:42 Reply

At 8/30/11 04:55 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: Thanks for the tips so far guys. I took a break from the Doctor and started working on blending. I found a pretty cool tutorial on youtube, I pretty much followed that step by step which shows this person's technique of blending / brush usage. It helped me a lot as far as shading goes. Any nubs out there like me check out that video!

I think it would have helped if you were able to put a more wider range of darker and lighter shades to make the drawing a bit more alive. There's not much lighting to go on, and that's a quite a vital part in a painting and whatnot.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-30 17:06:52 Reply

I think it would have helped if you were able to put a more wider range of darker and lighter shades to make the drawing a bit more alive. There's not much lighting to go on, and that's a quite a vital part in a painting and whatnot.

I'll give it a shot,

Thank you.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-30 17:22:23 Reply

Added a belly button! (And darker darks/ ligher lights)

Does this make it any better? My untrained eye can't really tell. I mean I think it helps stick out more.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-08-31 19:13:46 Reply

Shy Robot!

There isn't much to this one but I really like the shading. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-01 08:04:43 Reply

At 9/1/11 04:32 AM, Larkatosa wrote:
At 8/31/11 07:13 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: Shy Robot!

There isn't much to this one but I really like the shading. Any tips or suggestions?
More shades. Darker, firmer lines and contrast. Less fuzziness. And everything else people already suggested.

Keep on trying. *Thumbs up!*

Do you mean darker firmer lines like an outline around the robot?

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-01 08:31:28 Reply

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to make sure this is what you meant before I get too crazy with it. I'm trying to get rid of the fuzziness and create a more distinctive shadow on his left side (our right).

Also I forgot to thank you for the tipsI just am really dumb when it comes to certain terms art-wise :P.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-01 09:53:11 Reply

Okay I touched up on everything including the fingers, I kept his left hand (the one with the light on it) with minimal shadow lines, because I feel like if I were holding a light in my hand the shadows would be almost eliminated (except the outer edge of my hand).

Also, I added an outline to the side where the light is hitting his face, I don't know if it looks good. I kind of like it better without one, but maybe I just did it wrong.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-01 12:36:10 Reply

No, not like an outline. Try using a firmer brush with less fuzziness. By more shadows and contrast, I mean make a clear difference between the character and the shadows. Right now it looks flat and fuzzy.

Fill in the character with details in darker shades. Try using a pretty firm and small brush with opacity of 80% or higher.

What program are you using?

Also yellow light will make yellow highlights. I wish I had my tablet so I could draw a sketch showing what I mean. But I am currently not by my own computer.

Much appreciated, and when you get home I would be more than happy to see what you mean, but in the meantime I will try. Also I am using Photoshop CS4. My opacity is set to 100% but I have the flow turned down (to like 5-15%) so if I want darker strokes I just press harder on the tablet. I'll try turning that up, and do what you suggested, thank you!

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-14 12:22:17 Reply

Haven't posted anything in a while but I didn't stop drawing!

This is for the Creaturing art collab, I'm going to give it a shot :X

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-14 13:27:41 Reply

This is what I'm currently working on, aside from the creaturing project. I need to start getting better at drawing what I see. I used a reference and a grid for the outline, the rest is just looking at the different shades of the birds head.

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-14 13:32:42 Reply

At 9/14/11 01:27 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: This is what I'm currently working on, aside from the creaturing project. I need to start getting better at drawing what I see. I used a reference and a grid for the outline, the rest is just looking at the different shades of the birds head.

Looking pretty good so far, what type of bird is it? Sparrow??? Keep going I want to see this finished man :).

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-14 13:39:50 Reply

At 9/14/11 01:32 PM, Ramatsu wrote:
At 9/14/11 01:27 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: This is what I'm currently working on, aside from the creaturing project. I need to start getting better at drawing what I see. I used a reference and a grid for the outline, the rest is just looking at the different shades of the birds head.
Looking pretty good so far, what type of bird is it? Sparrow??? Keep going I want to see this finished man :).

Haha I wish I could tell you, I went to google and typed "birds of PA" and just clicked on a random image. It may very well be a sparrow though if they get to be that color. I thought sparrows were brown :X.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement! I will keep at it. I have a feeling that it will only get worse though :|

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to My Skills (wip) Ajtheripper 2011-09-14 13:44:41 Reply

I just thought those were the basic tones you were going with i though you would add the other layer of colors later but yeah sparrows are brownish type. Change that feeling into good thought that you can make it better.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature