New Topic Respond to this Topic
GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:11:39 Reply

the trend i mean is this new use of special effects in youtube videos. i'm not saying that this has never been done obviously, but users like freddiew and shit have become insanely popular over the past year to six months. freddiew started making his videos around early 2010, since then he's gotten 2 million subscribers from making videos like this, arguably starting this entire "movement."

some examples of what i mean:
1 2 3 4 5

i am kind of neutral about this but the more i look at it the more worrying it is because it's reflective of where i fear that indie films might be going in the very near future. the movie industry is already oversaturated with cgi bullshit and the independent film market has usually been considered a safe haven from that. none of these "short films" have any semblance of a story, their sole appeal is being visually entertaining and cool to watch.

my point is, do we really need more transformers-esque films out there? I'm completely torn because I like that people are actually started to become interested in independent filmmaking but terrified that it's for all the wrong reasons.

TheStorkCollector
TheStorkCollector
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:13:18 Reply

Well sometimes you need special effects to prove your point in a video. I fail to see how this is a trend.

Eperiod
Eperiod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:15:03 Reply

It's Youtube. Most of the audience will only pay attention to guns, blood, boobs and explosions. That's not to mean everyone will start going down that path.

BBS Signature
GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:20:40 Reply

At 8/26/11 02:13 PM, TheStorkCollector wrote: Well sometimes you need special effects to prove your point in a video. I fail to see how this is a trend.

because it has become insanely popular in recent months, the definition of a trend???

At 8/26/11 02:16 PM, Addict wrote: So, you fear that YouTube videos will cause the film industry to slowly crash?

*indie film industry

the film industry already sucks dick

DonCarrera
DonCarrera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:23:28 Reply

At 8/26/11 02:16 PM, Addict wrote: So, you fear that YouTube videos will cause the film industry to slowly crash?
*indie film industry

the film industry already sucks dick

Bollywood is the future. That and Scott Pilgrim'ish films, apparently. Based on this trend at least.

STEM
STEM
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:27:43 Reply

in any day and age, there will always be terrible art. Simply don't attend the gallery opening

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:30:02 Reply

At 8/26/11 02:25 PM, Addict wrote: Ah, indie films.

Yes that would be horrible if YouTube made indie films unpopular, indie film directors put far too much time and funding into their films to have some teenagers on a video hosting website destroy their hard work. Video bloggers like said RWJ are also probably putting them out of business. It's kind of like supply & demand in this case. Popular YouTube stars make new videos, indie film festival gets less viewers.

addict is being sarcastic guys in case you weren't sure. it's okay though because he's still being a fucking idiot and thinking that i'm talking about video bloggers.

SergeiPetrenko
SergeiPetrenko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 14:31:33 Reply

Think about this. Not every film is some sort of cgi mindfuck special-effects laden movie. Not every movie is going to have CGI and "short films" like those are just to show what they can do, and it looks cool. Not because having CGI is better than story, but lets just play around with it. As long as movies like Everyday Black Man or whatever which has no need for CGi, then the indie industry will prevail.

I am Sergei Petrenko, The Hero of Novosibirsk, The Mighty Black Russian, The Tsar of Third-Person Posts.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 15:57:18 Reply

There will always be a niche of douchebags with an 'artistic vision' who will keep on the indie tradition. Besides, CGI only works in certain genres of film and one of the bigger reasons those films thrive is because they are mass marketed. If you were to saturate the indie or amateur director scene with that same stuff, a scene that doesn't really appreciate flash over substance, then those directors who abuse CGI will find themselves out the door rather quickly.

lolomfgisuck
lolomfgisuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to new youtube trend bad for film? 2011-08-26 16:03:06 Reply

I'm all for it...

Technology is only going to get better and easier to use. The advantage is that you can spend your time working on more important aspects of the shot... the lighting, the look, the movement, or just simply being able to use more of it, allowing you to make movies like Transformers where the stars aren't even real things.

But the downside is that it becomes so easy to use, everybody starts using it everywhere. Why build a model of a city to blow up when you could just CGI it? Why use a fake gun with blanks when you could just CGI it?

True, this is bad for Hollywood but I don't think it's bad for movies on a whole.

Look at your examples again. It's not the CGI that makes them so good, it's the quality of the movie that makes it so good. Those independent film makers really cared about what they were making. They want to see a Portal movie... a real one... not some fucked up Hollywood adaptation where they change the lead character to an infected human and the portal gun to a transportation device. A real portal movie... about a nameless female specimen shooting portals into walls

Before, this was impossible. You couldn't do it without CGI and the technology behind CGI was too difficult to use. But now... now anyone can do it... and anyone will. So if you want to make a Portal movie, make it. But you better do a damn good job because there are a hundred other people out there just like you who are also making a Portal movie. And if they're not filming one now, they'll probably start after they see yours.

I think it actually improves movies. Soon, Hollywood will have no choice but to compete with independent filmmakers... so their bullshit 'fuck up the story' routine will no longer work. Why would you pay $30.00 to go to the movies to see a bunch of over payed fuck heads ruin your favorite video game when you could pay $10.00 to an actual fan of the game and see a better film shot with the same HD standards and CGI technology as the professionals.

In short, it builds competition, which drives a better product.

John Rambo is my hero

BBS Signature