00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Does music reflect a part of you?

1,043 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 04:06:27

I was always told that peoples' art reflects a part of who they are, music included. However, the more I learn about music, and all the 'rules' of music, which help me improve in music, I begin to doubt if the music I would write or play would somehow reflect a part of who I am.

For instance, since I first learned my blues scales, I improvised a lot of melodies in blues sclaes and made bluesy, funky kind of music. Since I first learned my minor scales, I played a lot of melodies in the minor key, and produced a more sad or creepy style of music.

Obviously, lyrics can reflect more of who you are, but I'm referring to the music - the melody, harmony and rhythm.

Do you believe your music reflects a part of who you are, or do you play what you play, and write what you write, because of sheer knowledge and experimentation, and believe your music does not reflect a part of who you are?

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 04:12:37

If I told someone that my music didn't reflect who I am, they'd probably laugh so hard that their ribs split.

My music reflects my mood so well that when I'm showing off a new piano piece to a friend that lives 20 hours away over MSN, they ask what's wrong.

When I play my guitar in front of my best friend, he asks who I'm pissed off at.

That's how much my music reflects who I am or what mood I'm in.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 05:21:47

i try to make emotionally evocative music, but pretty much never based on my own mood at the time

similarly i rarely write lyrics from my own life experience or point of view, but often from the perspectives of other people

p.s. i am gay

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 10:43:51

My music does not reflect who I am

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 11:13:16

Depends on the situation. If I'm writing a rock track, it may reflect on me: when I got rejected by a girl I liked (which happens more than you'd think!), I started writing a few sad(-ish) songs in a 60's rock style. When I'm writing classical music, sometimes it's a reflection of my emotions: for example, my Piano Sonata No. 2 is very sad because it's about losing someone.

On the other hand, when I'm writing music for a film or a game, my music reflects simply on what I've been told to do.

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 14:01:02

If one's music doesn't reflect part of who they are, they shouldn't be making music. It's an art form and way of expression. The best artists are the ones who can have somebody listen to a song of theirs and feel like they know the artist a little better afterwards. Unless of course said artist is only in it for money and doing what they think will sell most, which in that case i'm highly against it xD

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 14:42:48

Yes, yes, and yes. The main reason I compose is to reflect my emotions and expressions into a series of waves that we call music. I thoroughly enjoy replicating my emotions into musical form. It is very satisfying and personally I find it easy to be poetic with music.

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 14:59:44

OP needs to understand the dichotomy he has brought up that a new musician, or artist has in any field. While one is learning, they will not be very capable of showing much style, prowess or purposeful direction. There might be hints at style specific to the individual, though they will likely be accidental discoveries. IE: You learned blues scale, you played in blues scale and probably had some nice results. However, with more time investment one will have a diachronic, dialectical movement forwards with themselves in knowledge, ability, and familiarity in which one is able to begin finding out what it is they like. At which point style, or music reflecting the individual, will become present, likely even if they are doing a job or task for another on request, author ship will be evident.

di-di-di big words.
At 8/23/11 11:13 AM, RampantMusik wrote: I got rejected by a girl I liked (which happens more than you'd think!)

Trololol.

BBS Signature

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 18:50:37

At 8/23/11 02:01 PM, denverbroncos59 wrote: If one's music doesn't reflect part of who they are, they shouldn't be making music. It's an art form and way of expression.

I think that some people let their emotions get in the way of making good art.

/deep

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 19:18:34

At 8/23/11 06:50 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 8/23/11 02:01 PM, denverbroncos59 wrote: If one's music doesn't reflect part of who they are, they shouldn't be making music. It's an art form and way of expression.
I think that some people let their emotions get in the way of making good art.

/deep

I must meditate this thought atop a rock at the crest of a waterfall.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Does music reflect a part of you? 2011-08-23 21:56:28

Of course my music reflects me. You'd probably learn more about me from listening to three of my songs than if you tried to talk to me.