New Topic Respond to this Topic
VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 17:55:13 Reply

I don't really have a problem showing my music to strangers, or anyone for that matter, but I sometimes have a hard time listening to my own music with people in the room. Last semester I had to show my media production class some kind of media-related thing that I created, so I played one of my songs as an example of my work. I found it hard to listen to it. I wouldn't say it's shyness, but I just end up being really critical of whatever I wrote.

To be honest it kind of helps me improve in that I go into a mode of thought about my own stuff that I would not have done otherwise if I were just listening to it alone.

I'm just curious as to what your guys thoughts are on listening to your own music with other people?

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 18:00:14 Reply

At 8/21/11 05:55 PM, VegetarianMeat wrote: I found it hard to listen to it. I wouldn't say it's shyness, but I just end up being really critical of whatever I wrote.

pretty much this , whenever some friend is like " HEY LET'S LISTEN SOME OF RUBEN'S TRACKS!!" Im just like "FUCK".

Maybe it's because that i know that there are some mistakes on my tracks and maybe they could notice them. Sometimes i think that certain track is not that good, infact sometimes i think it's terrible.

But yeah, in the end,they never noticed those errors.

I really don't know but meh, you get used to it.

Music is my passion , not my business.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 18:10:59 Reply

Im extremely shy about my music in regards to people in real life. Mostly due to the fact that i know i could be making songs at a higher quality than what i put out.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 18:17:49 Reply

Very uncomfortable when a friend starts playing my music out loud in a public place (i.e school). It feels like a significant part of my life and identity is being put on display for everyone around to judge. Which is especially draining when it's being played on shitty pc or iphone speakers :P

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 18:39:41 Reply

When someone begins hearing one of my songs, I instantly focus my eyes on his/her face and hope I don't detect any cringe, frown or expression of distaste.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 18:48:45 Reply

Kinda uncomfortable, but I've learnt not to give a fuck really.

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 18:48:46 Reply

At 8/21/11 06:39 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: When someone begins hearing one of my songs, I instantly focus my eyes on his/her face and hope I don't detect any cringe, frown or expression of distaste.

" hey man how was your day"

" Well i was walking down the street and i saw a super hot girl and then i quickly grabbed her co......"

(Music Starts Playing)

Listening to own music w/others?

Music is my passion , not my business.

MrMusicalLion
MrMusicalLion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 20:23:12 Reply

At 8/21/11 06:17 PM, SBB wrote: Which is especially draining when it's being played on shitty pc or iphone speakers :P

can totally relate to that bit. nothing worse than hearing your own masterpiece being publicly demolished by terrible hardware!

although I don't really mind at all when people play my music in front of others, I truthfully could not care less about any minor mistakes in my music
however I don't like it when people play it when the mood is clearly not right.

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 20:25:51 Reply

i usually have to ask people to listen to my music. nobody does it willingly.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
Birdinator99
Birdinator99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 20:44:06 Reply

When I tell people I make music, I expect them to be uninterested. Instead, I get, "Oh, cool, I'd love to listen to that!" Then I'm like, "Uhh, no." because I think they won't like it. I'd rather that my friends listen to my music not knowing it was me, so I can get an unbiased opinion.

BBS Signature
VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 22:20:41 Reply

At 8/21/11 06:39 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: When someone begins hearing one of my songs, I instantly focus my eyes on his/her face and hope I don't detect any cringe, frown or expression of distaste.

That's pretty much why I don't look at their face, heh. As much as I know it's not personal, my music reflects off of myself, so if they think it blows I get the thought that they don't like a large part of who I am, which usually isn't the case.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 22:36:08 Reply

I like to keep my music mostly 'private', but whenever I play my stuff I tend to critique the song along the way.

lel

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 22:46:58 Reply

At 8/21/11 10:36 PM, Sequenced wrote: I like to keep my music mostly 'private', but whenever I play my stuff I tend to critique the song along the way.

I'm pretty much the same way, there's maybe 1 person I'll share my music with any time I finish something new (Not counting immediate family), and I have a habit of pointing out the stuff I'm not happy with or I feel will be viewed as a weak point along the way.

Hell, there's some stuff in my music that when I listen back even on my own, I cringe thinking, "What the hell was I thinking?!"

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 23:00:07 Reply

I have a couple of musical friends who, when I show them my music, I usually ask for an opinion. However, when I show a friend who is not into music at all, I'll just say after the song has played, "So there it is!" and move on to a different discussion. This avoids putting my friend in an uncomfortable position in case he doesn't like it. Most of my non-musical friends don't like instrumentals so I doubt they'd enjoy my music.

Sometimes I don't play the whole song, but just the best part - I don't expect everyone to like my music so I don't force them to listen to the whole thing.

MrFijiWiji
MrFijiWiji
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-21 23:16:52 Reply

nobody. except for my close close friends. know i produce music. for this exact reason. im kinda afraid to show them my music. whether its good or not. just i put alot of myself into my music. and idk if im willing to share that with other haha. "Mr FijiWiji" is kinda my alter ego. lol

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 02:33:25 Reply

I put my own music on my phone and play the songs I'm working on while I drive to work or anywhere for that matter, usually to listen to what I got going on in the song and to see what needs improving and stuff. When it comes to playing the songs for friends?

Yeah, they hate my music. haha

darthduba
darthduba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 04:41:11 Reply

I often play my music at home when friends are around, not telling it is my own. Just to see the reactions of people. Some people do start to recognize my style of music and can tell if I made it or not. I'm not too shy about it, it's only music in the end.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 08:08:49 Reply

Most of my friends are producers and they always criticize something and I have to explain musical terms as to why i did what i did. Like "dude you need to fix that ending it sounds off melodically" --"what? you mean that perfect cadence?"--"whats a cadence?"--"thought so. its only the most appropriate and common ending to a piece ever" --"oh, nvm then"

aDeafBat
aDeafBat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 12:00:14 Reply

Hahah, cool thread. I can totally relate.

I don't let anyone listen to 90 percent of my music, I barely uploaded anything here even.

..but this one time, my friends asked me to make a theme song for someone. They specifically requested lots of bass and siren sounds over a recorded sample. Well I did just that, made the bassiest loudest and craziest song for them. One day they were throwing a party, there were ALOT of people there, and they decided to turn off the music and announce that they were going to play my song... I was like UGH, felt like covering my face and walking out, because they played it on a 20 dollar stereo and it sounded like.. well, playing the worst song ever full blast on a 20 dollar stereo. So while these gargly crunchy sounds are coming out of the speakers, along with sirens and someone yelling "jello", everyone just stopped and looked around at each other in evident bewilderment, wondering what the hell was that.

Since then, I stopped giving music to people, for the most part. I still feel like I need to redeem myself, but meh..

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 12:04:39 Reply

it's not like you would know when they're playing your music if you're a deaf bat.

Schleif
Schleif
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 12:11:10 Reply

i love it when people listen to my music. but i absolutely hate listening to my early work. just the thought of it makes me cringe, haha

BBS Signature
Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 13:07:20 Reply

I only let others listen to my shit once we both have had a few to drink.

This is mostly attributed to the fact that when i get drunk, everything sounds pretty damn awesome (yes, even kesha, or Keh-dollarsign-ha.).

BBS Signature
DonCarrera
DonCarrera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 13:54:05 Reply

I only personally know people who hate instrumentals of all varieties with a passion, save for shitty dubstep, so a direct request to listen is often declined. It's a bloody shame my community is so musically narrow-minded, otherwise I'd be doing some serious advertising by now.

This is where the internet comes in handy - dumping-grounds for craploads of WIPs and unfinished projects (at least in my opinion).

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 14:16:30 Reply

When my friends ask I really don't give a crap, they love my shit anyways. xD

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
B34T1N
B34T1N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 14:30:55 Reply

When I was last at a house party, even though I was unaware my friend had my music, or knew about it, it started playing. Very, very awkward for me. Everyone there seemed to like the track, but I'm not sure what it is, makes me feel very uncomfortable and I worry about what people think of it. When I hear someone elses music it sounds so good, even if I recreate something I hear and make it sound just the same, I still won't like my own version, never been too sure why this is. Do you think it maybe has something to do with us knowing the exact process of making the track? Maybe it kills off the kind of wonder into how the artist had the talent to come up with something, knowing it was our own? I may be a long shot off, but it's just a thought.

RubberBandMethod
RubberBandMethod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 14:46:36 Reply

At 8/21/11 05:55 PM, VegetarianMeat wrote: I don't really have a problem showing my music to strangers, or anyone for that matter, but I sometimes have a hard time listening to my own music with people in the room. Last semester I had to show my media production class some kind of media-related thing that I created, so I played one of my songs as an example of my work. I found it hard to listen to it. I wouldn't say it's shyness, but I just end up being really critical of whatever I wrote.

To be honest it kind of helps me improve in that I go into a mode of thought about my own stuff that I would not have done otherwise if I were just listening to it alone.

I'm just curious as to what your guys thoughts are on listening to your own music with other people?

I think that's a pretty common problem with musicians, I can't do it either, I would prefer people listen to my recordings without me knowing it, because I don't think they sound very good. Someone who works with music and recordings for a couple of years develops really anal tendencies about sound quality and all sorts of other things. Simple stuff that most people don't notice drives me nuts, but only with my own recordings. I hate hearing the stuff I recorded when I was 14-15, it sounds just awful. I don't mind it when I'm alone, but I don't even want people in the house to hear me listening to my own songs. I seem to get very defensively shy about them.

It never got weird enough for me - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The 5-Hour Collab

BBS Signature
HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 16:48:13 Reply

If I didn't like hearing my music, I wouldn't make it. Think of that next time.

This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 17:22:13 Reply

At 8/22/11 04:48 PM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: If I didn't like hearing my music, I wouldn't make it. Think of that next time.

Maybe if you were to read a full sentence before being a fuck head you might notice that I'm not talking about listening to my own music, but listening to it with other people.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 17:37:54 Reply

I was in my dorm last year and i was walking down the hall and heard Heaven Rd. 2 playing and it was pretty awkward because I didn't really know the person and I stopped in and was like hey... Ummmm I made that.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Listening to own music w/others? 2011-08-22 17:39:42 Reply

At 8/22/11 05:37 PM, Envy wrote: I was in my dorm last year and i was walking down the hall and heard Heaven Rd. 2 playing and it was pretty awkward because I didn't really know the person and I stopped in and was like hey... Ummmm I made that.

He must have jizzed in his pants.

lel