00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to own an idea non-legally

576 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How to own an idea non-legally 2011-08-16 21:22:08

A proper noob guide to owning an idea the non-legal way

by: Xxf3nxX (the aqua-phoenix of Team Inner-comet Produxionz)

In regards to the semantics of property and ownership, please do not refer to this guide.
First, I will begin this documentary with how someone would own an idea.

If, at this point of reading, you do not know what an idea is, then this guide is not for you.

A first step, someone would take to own an idea, one being entirely original to themselves, could be a simple public announcement.

Simple, right? Not as easily done as said. Where to publicly announce an idea is an idea in itself and requires the same focus and effort that made the idea to be owned (the non-legal way) in the first place. This method requires medium, delivery, the possibility to spread, and permamence of the announcement.

To effectively deliver your idea in the ideal format requires that you do not express your idea in it's entirety (give it all away that it could be stolen) nor express too little elaboration (give too little that it is not cared for). This is an art in itself and may take a few tries to get the format just right.
To effectively spread your idea, your medium needs to be delivered through such a platform that onlookers and viewers are expected at least to be 50% likely to recieve your medium in whole, at least 90% are likely to receive your medium in part, and at least 50% need to care about your medium. This can be achieved through many means, choosing appropriately is entirely on you.

The reason a public announcement can be an effective way to own your original idea is because any actual productions based upon the publicised idea (or any derivatives thereof) could be in large, completely traced back to you. While your public announcement remains public and accessible, this means of achieving ownership over an idea remains plausible and likely.

Example: I made a thread on newgrounds.com in the colloboration forum publicising my idea.

darkstar*

Not a flash game, but still worthy of discussion (storyboard and planning by me, Xxf3nxX)

Main character:
-Classification: Hero/heroine, generic one-man army protagonist
-Species: Future (meaning, evolved to some degree) human, androgynistic
-Current residence: An appartment (it's nice, the hero has good taste), of the 3rd lower class of the 4 economic classes
-Name: chosen by player (gender not specified)
-Allies/sidekicks: None, ***until later *spoiler*
-Enemies: Catastrophic experiment mishap; Cyborg mutant army of terror and killing

Setting: Citadel, the nexus city in a distant, alternative future (Note: the world is not named Earth).
High-rise building complexes abound and are meshed neatly with plants and trees, "tame" wildlife (bird and bees or whatever fly around and dogs and cats or whatever roam),
efficient travelling pathways (fixed shuttles, walkways, elevators...), and a lot of activity (a lot of motion: people are busy, vehicles are travelling, the high-tech buildings move, and entertainment, media, and advertising systems blare).

Scenario: A major high-end firm specializing in electronics, power sources, robotics, trade (Citadel's imports and exports), contracting professional business, and many, many years of military partnerships.
This firm is working on a top secret project for the military (they also like to stay legit) but a miscalculation (unforseeable really) causes the learning-slash-processing functions of the yet-to-be activated cyborg weapons (they played god and fused organic material with the ability to think with powerful, top secret weapons) become a regime of terror (and killing). All of Citadel is now a danger zone. Main character must fight and think his or her way to an evacuation zone. The major problem is, doing just that is as suicidal as doing nothing. The nearest evacutation zone is *very* far. The machine half of the cyborgs mutants are programmed with military attack and defense strategies.
By military strategies, I mean, they don't look like stuffed animals, THEY ARE SCARY AND DANGEROUS.
(Figuring a way through a locked door, deciding upon appropriate safe rooms, and not dying in the firefights with the mishap experiments are ultimately the keyfactors (among others) that determine whether or not player sees the ending.

Feel free to hate me for making this idea completely unusable without my name.
And before anybody flames me for "begging" newgrounds to make this for me.
This is really a discussion topic. I have, developing-wise, a legit copy of Visual Studio 2010, all the inspiration in the world, and ms paint. I'm weak when it comes to coding dynamics of 3d model hit-point registration, and coding all together while I'm being honest, but this picture should, hopefully, raise an eyebrow or two.

I like beginnings.

Response to How to own an idea non-legally 2011-08-18 10:14:10

At 8/16/11 09:22 PM, Xxf3nxX wrote: A proper noob guide to owning an idea the non-legal way

What, so you're on about owning an ideas illegally? Sort of like stealing? :P

Nah, I konw that you're on about it without having to get lawyers involved or anything, but if you've got an idea that you wish to copyright, without letting everyone know and without going to the hassle of lawyers and other expensive methods, I just do the following:

1) Print the manuscript
2) Put it in an envelope
3) Get it posted to yourself
4) On receipt (and this is the important thing), don't break the seal. Put it away somewhere.
5) If someone challenges you, show it to a court, who can have it opened independently and verified.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to How to own an idea non-legally 2011-08-20 15:49:29

At 8/18/11 10:14 AM, Coop wrote:
At 8/16/11 09:22 PM, Xxf3nxX wrote:
1) Print the manuscript
2) Put it in an envelope
3) Get it posted to yourself
4) On receipt (and this is the important thing), don't break the seal. Put it away somewhere.
5) If someone challenges you, show it to a court, who can have it opened independently and verified.

I've heard about people doing this before.
Thanks for the tip... Somehow, your method is more confusing than mine. :P

I like beginnings.