New Topic Respond to this Topic
micky315
micky315
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-10 22:03:18 Reply

Hey, I'm looking to buy a new tablet since my last Bamboo broke on me. From what I've seen the three major competitors are Bamboo, Intuos, and Cintiq. I just want some peoples opinions on which they prefer, which are more worth it based on their costs, and so on.

What I do know is that Bamboo is the cheapest among the three, but also apparently poorest in quality as well, so this tablet is mainly out of the question as i can afford better.

As for the Intuos, it's what I'm leaning towards because I can afford an intuos4 medium (about $350). What a REALLY want to know is whether it's worth it compared to a cintiq that's a meaty $999.99 dollars. The Cintiq has a built in monitor so you can actually look at what you're drawing, unlike the Babmoo and Intuos4.

TL;DR Debating whether I should spend $350 for an intuos4, or $999 for a cintiq.

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-10 22:12:30 Reply

I prefer Bamboo, I'd suggest sticking to smaller guns unless you plan on taking drawing/animating up professionally

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
micky315
micky315
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-10 22:33:59 Reply

At 8/10/11 10:12 PM, Knocturne wrote: I prefer Bamboo, I'd suggest sticking to smaller guns unless you plan on taking drawing/animating up professionally

In the distant future of 2014 I plan on going to collage for animation/art.

BBS Signature
Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-10 22:47:18 Reply

At 8/10/11 10:33 PM, micky315 wrote:

Find out if that college is equipped. The art colleges I've been to have their own cintiqs.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 07:20:40 Reply

imo: bamboo is a good starter. You can't really go wrong with the 70 bucks it'll cost you. If you will still be going to animation college three years from now you can always buy a cintiq then and keep the bamboo as a nice portable thing or coaster or whatever.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
hypeserver
hypeserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 07:23:28 Reply

I'd go with another Bamboo. If you can't even be careful enough to not break the first one, I wouldn't get a Intuos or a Cintiq. You really don't need a Cintiq anyway unless you're doing high grade professional work. I've been doing commissioned work for five years now and work off of an older Intuos model.

Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 08:34:39 Reply

At 8/10/11 10:33 PM, micky315 wrote:

Since it's still the distant future, go for a standard sized intuos. That's good enough to last you through the next years, even good enough to be useable when studying animation. Or, well, that's the case with me anyway, I believe I have an intuos3. If you can spare the money though when you're a (few) year(s) into studying and are convinced you will put it to good use, go for a cintiq. Awesome stuff, but buying one now would probably be a waste. In two-three years better equipment will be on the market than what there is now, especially if you want something as professional as a cintiq.

Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 08:43:27 Reply

Erm, you could buy a bamboo too, of course. But if you plan on studying something artsy that thing is not going to do anymore, I'm afraid. I would just go for something decent than can be used for fun as well as professional stuff right away, if I could spare the money.

And indeed, a cintiq might be a rather stupid buy since a lot of art colleges have their own, like J-qb stated.

micky315
micky315
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 13:30:44 Reply

Thanks for all the advice. I've had a bamboo before and frankly, I didn't like it too much; then it broke down... So I've decided to go with an Intuos4 medium for the price of $329.99. Thanks guys :)

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 14:13:09 Reply

pretty much depends on if you're rich or not lol.
budding artist: bamboo.
artist, working real hard: intuos.
not even an artist, but i got a lot of money: cintiq.
haha but jokes aside, I would recommend the Small Intuos 4. that's what I'm using right now and I love it. It's compact, and i love the pressure sensitivity. It comes with a few programs too, including sketchbook express, which I use on a daily basis.

jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 14:14:12 Reply

oh btw, all tablets cost a lot. mine was a gift, luckily enough.

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 14:16:26 Reply

To be honest, I've been using my friend's intuos since my four year old bamboo broke and it's roughly the same thing, but larger.

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge in how to utilize it properly but or just my preference, but I vastly enjoy the bamboo over the intuos.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
micky315
micky315
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 14:44:51 Reply

haha but jokes aside, I would recommend the Small Intuos 4. that's what I'm using right now and I love it. It's compact, and i love the pressure sensitivity. It comes with a few programs too, including sketchbook express, which I use on a daily basis.

Do all Intuos4s come with sketchbook express?

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 14:49:18 Reply

At 8/11/11 02:16 PM, Knocturne wrote: To be honest, I've been using my friend's intuos since my four year old bamboo broke and it's roughly the same thing, but larger.

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge in how to utilize it properly but or just my preference, but I vastly enjoy the bamboo over the intuos.

No, the thing will feel much the same while drawing. They have the same functionality. The differences essentially come down to how big of strokes you prefer making, the feeling of the pen (and the Intuos' pen is so much more comfortable to hold) and how much you want to make use of the buttons on the Intuos.
Also, my bamboo had lots of problems while I was still using it and I've had far fewer issues with my Intuos, which I'll use to point out that the Intuos is generally just a higher quality product.

I'd just recommend a bamboo to most people, though, as whether or not those differences are actually worth the difference in price is something I'm still not sure of.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 14:54:12 Reply

I never had any problems with either product, but like I said could be just inexperience talking.

I just prefer the bamboo

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 15:45:05 Reply

I prefer the Intuos 4 Medium to the Cintiq 12 inch. The Intuos is much more portable, light weight, and generally less cumbersome to move around on your lap or wherever you're drawing. The quick keys and touch scroll wheel are super useful.

But as others have said, definitely make sure art is something you want to do seriously before getting any of the higher end tablets.

Cintiq vs Intuos will boil down to preference. I suggest trying them out.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
qqzhuosai
qqzhuosai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 22:37:38 Reply

i also plan to buy one.

I believe that i will fall in love with my dream girl.It is my belief ugg online store.

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-11 23:12:17 Reply

I've never used a bamboo, but I have used a intous 2 12x12 and a cintiq21 ux.
The cintiq 21 ux is the best thing I've ever used.
The intous was pretty good too, but I could never go back to it.
The cintiq paid for itself in the first month. It nearly doubled my work time, not sure why but it did.

Nondual
Nondual
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-12 11:01:43 Reply

I used a Bamboo fun for about a year, and then I got an Intuo4 (about 9 months ago.) and it made a HUGE difference for me. The Intuos is WAY more precise. Plus I use the "spring Nibs/tips" and that really helps with the pressure sensitivity. Being able to program the buttons on the right to my most used buttons in each program has been very useful as well.

I found an "academic version" of an Intuos4 Large on amazon for about $380. If you want to get a medium, it might be worth it to you, to look. Basically the only difference is that the Academic version doesn't come with a bunch of software, (which I didn't need.)

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-12 11:33:51 Reply

I have used the good ol graphire 2, bamboo fun, and bamboo pen tablets. I don't feel that i use it enough to spring for a more expensive model. My current tablet, the bamboo pen, was around a hundred bucks.

Cons of this tablet are that it is not very sensitive or terribly accurate. The pen also has no eraser end on the pen, which really bothers me. There are no shortcut buttons, just the right and left click one.

The only real pro is the price.

If i were to use my tablet more i would definately like to have the intuos. I would not consider a cintiq only because of the price and i have never used one. From what i have read intuos vs cintiq is a matter of preference. My advise, unless you will be using your tablet at least a few times a week bamboo is fine. Otherwise see if you can manage to test a cintiq and intuos to see what you like better.

BBS Signature
GoddaM
GoddaM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-12 16:51:23 Reply

Bamboo is entry level and sufficient

Intuos is professional grade and middle of the road

Cintiq is the muthaf**kin' holy grail!!

BenKNG
BenKNG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-12 19:55:22 Reply

It depends on many variables. Your dedication to art/animation, your desk area, and your price limit.

I started out with the bamboo tablet. It worked well, but there is definitely cons.

Pros: Cheap(70-100$), Compact, Lightweight, got the job done.

Cons: Has alot of detection problems with Vista, Pressure sensitivity isnt too acurate.

If you are just trying to make low quality flash movies for newgrounds and dont have enough money, I would go with the bamboo.

Now, the Intuous4 is a bit more expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

Pros: GREAT pressure sensitivity, precision mode is boss for animation, good size(depending on what size you get), and the side buttons are overall good.

Cons: A bit pricey(260ish), does not have a draw-on interface like the cintiq.

This is a good tablet if you want to make higher-grade animations.

The Cintiq is considered the industry standard.

Pros: Considered best Wacom tablet, Pressure sensitivity is unreal, draw-on interface

cons: ALOT of money!

Click my sig for my mo-fuggin website.

BBS Signature
Savory
Savory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-13 01:14:36 Reply

A good tablet in my experience has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. Any lower and it feels bad, any higher and... well most people can't tell.

2048 levels is awesome though, and definitely smoother if you work on a large screen. If you don't, the difference is negligible.

Pretty sure the newer Bamboos are at 1024, and they're lightweight and portable. Which is what suits me personally. The larger tablets generally have awesome space to work with and lots of buttons, neither appeals to me more than portability, but it might to you.

Savory
Savory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-13 01:17:20 Reply

Ideally, you'd have a Ciniq at home and work, and a Bamboo to travel with... but if you have that kind of money you probably aren't an artist, and aren't interested anyway.

Kibester
Kibester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-13 01:34:56 Reply

At 8/10/11 10:12 PM, Knocturne wrote: I prefer Bamboo, I'd suggest sticking to smaller guns unless you plan on taking drawing/animating up professionally

I completely agree. Of course, for me it helps if I were to buy another Wacom Pen.... but not for 60$

BBS Signature
exosphere
exosphere
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-13 15:33:32 Reply

intuos is so much better than a bamboo. seriously

jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-14 01:04:10 Reply

At 8/11/11 02:44 PM, micky315 wrote:
Do all Intuos4s come with sketchbook express?

to my knowledge :3

LittleAshy
LittleAshy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Bamboo vs Intuos vs Cintiq? 2011-08-14 18:26:12 Reply

I have a Bamboo, it's fine. I'm about to go into college for computer animation, and most of it is foundation classes (like Drawing I and Intro to Animation Programs).

That's really up to you, but if it were me, I wouldn't get anything too spiffy.