New Topic Respond to this Topic
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 02:38 AM Reply

Bristol board, gesso, charcoal, acrylic paint, matte medium, red conte.

This is from my series of interpretations in various media of the ballads of first collected by Francis Child. This one illustrates a Scottish variant of a much less cynical English song tiled "The Three Ravens" from roughly 1611. "Twa Corbies" concerns two ravens that are discussing in gruesome detail the dead knight who has been abandoned by his loved ones that they plan to eat for dinner.

Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 8/15/11 02:28 AM, Ramatsu wrote:
At 8/15/11 02:14 AM, lovingthedark wrote: An old still life. Oil painting, poorly drawn and composed.
Better than I could do working with still life, me and realistic do not get along...at all. That guy drawn with white conte is awesome

Thanks! Imho here are two secrets to realism, and they are practice and observation respectively. Keep trying and you'll improve, I promise.

At 8/14/11 10:12 PM, ornery wrote: BONE HARP!
grrrrr

Also from my ballads project. This one is from a song called "Cruel Sister", also known as "Minnorie" or "Binnorie", "The Twa Sisters", "The Wind and Rain", "Dreadful Wind and Rain", "Two Sisters", and the "Bonnie Bows of London". It dates back to at least to 1656, and is about a pair of sisters who are courted by the same man.

It's about a pair of sisters who fall in love with the same man. One drowns the other to free up the man's affections, and the drowned sister's body is found by three minstrels. The minstrels make a harp out of her breastbone and string it with her hair. When the minstrels bring the harp into the hall of the dead girl's family, the harp plays on it's own and informs the spectators of how the girl was murdered.

Steel, self-hardening clay, plastic, human hair, matte medium.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 04:47 PM Reply

creepy!

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 8/15/11 04:35 PM, lovingthedark wrote: bone harp

FINALLY :D
looks creepy... but in a good way...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Wivernryder
Wivernryder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Art Lover
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 04:49 PM Reply

Those were some pretty messed up minstrels... but that's a pretty snazzy harp.
...is that... YOUR hair?

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 05:24 PM Reply

two sisters?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Japati
Japati
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Love your stuff pal, nice work.

Looking forward to see more.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 8/15/11 04:49 PM, Wivernryder wrote: Those were some pretty messed up minstrels... but that's a pretty snazzy harp.
...is that... YOUR hair?

Yeah. I bleached with hydrogen peroxide it to minimize it's connection to me and to make it more sanitary, and figured out how to spin it into yarn. Badly.

At 8/15/11 05:24 PM, J-qb wrote: two sisters?

More like two sisters

At 8/15/11 05:41 PM, Japati wrote: stuff

Thanks.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Charcoal on tan Rives BFK paper. Roughly 90"x 20". The first one I did for my ballads project.

This one is called "Cruel Mother" and dates back to at least 1656.

It's about a young woman delivers her twins alone in the woods and then murders them with her penknife. She is later haunted by the ghosts of the infants, who tell her she will spend seven years each a fish in the flood, a bird in the wood, a tongue in the morning bell, and in the flames of hell.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 11:27 PM Reply

"False Knight on the Road"
This is one of the most cheerful of the Child ballads, both in tune and in lyrical content. A boy is stopped on his way to school by the devil in disguise, who engages in battle of riddles with him. The boy is consistantly described as steadfast; he seems to be able to overpower the devil himself with his confident replies.

This is one of the smallest and least developed of the series. It sticks out for numerous reasons, including the fact that as far as I know the ballad was first documented in 1827, a good two centuries after most of the other ones I picked. I debated whether or not to leave this out of the series when I was exhibiting (eventually I decided to keep it), and I think I'll redo it from scratch if I ever work up the time and energy.

Watercolor pencil on bristol board.

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 16th, 2011 @ 02:34 AM Reply

Got any cityscapes?

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 17th, 2011 @ 02:47 AM Reply

At 8/16/11 02:34 AM, Knocturne wrote: Got any cityscapes?

Ummm... Sure, somewhere. Might take me a while to post, I'll have to dig them up and photograph them

Here's an oil painting retelling the story of Lady Margaret, in which a woman (Lady Margaret) is looking out her bedroom window when she sees her true love (Sweet William) heading into the churchyard to be married to another woman. Later that night, William awakes to find that Margaret is standing at the foot of his bed, and she asks him how he likes his bed, his sheets, his bride. He responds that he likes his bed and sheets well enough, but that he much prefers Margaret. They kiss. In the morning he wakes, disturbed by dreams that his bower was full of red swine and his bride's bed full of blood. He goes to find Margaret, only to find that she is dead. He demands that her winding sheet be peeled back so that he can kiss her one last time, which he does, and the song ends.

It's unfinished- I need to do a bit more work on the face mostly. I modeled for Margaret, as I was the easiest compliant person to find. I tried to make it ambiguous whether she was alive or dead, and I hope I succeeded.

There's two other works in the ballad series, but one is a polyurethane seal skin that is difficult to photograph (I'll try to do so anyway) and the other was a nest of chicken bones with painted clay eggs in it and human hair, meant to go with Twa Corbies, until my dog ate the bones. I'll post the others when/if I get around to documenting/remaking them.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 17th, 2011 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 8/17/11 03:51 PM, Otto wrote: Lovely stuff, especially your oils and crafts.

Can I ask, though, as someone who lives near Bristol, what Bristolboard is?

Sure. It's a low tooth but high weight drawing surface. It's made by pasting multiple sheets together to form 2-ply, 3-ply, etc. board, although in the printing industry Bristol also refers to solid paper with a thickness of .006 or up. The name comes from the early days of papermaking when paper would be shipped to Bristol for pasting.

Also btw, your Pete pencil drawing is really superb.

At 8/16/11 02:34 AM, Knocturne wrote:

:cityscapes?

Does this count? Soft pastel.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 17th, 2011 @ 11:24 PM Reply

Ummm... white conte or white charcoal on black paper. Maybe both, I don't remember. Sighting/measuring and perspective exercise done of a building at my school.

BBS Signature
RJLFJL
RJLFJL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 17th, 2011 @ 11:28 PM Reply

Your artwork is amazing!
A lot of it remind me of Van Gogh... before he went crazy and all ;)

RAPTOR JESUS LOVES FRESH JUICY LIVERS

I drink your milkshake

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 12:29 AM Reply

Thanks.

An old head study done in pen.

BBS Signature
someplaceelse
someplaceelse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 10:04 AM Reply

diggin the art.

Especially the pastel stuff, it's awesome! Keep it up! I want to see more people from you though. :P I like the very last one you posted! :D

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 8/18/11 10:04 AM, someplaceelse wrote: pastel stuff + people

My cousin Olivia. This one's got an acrylic underpainting.

BBS Signature
ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 04:03 PM Reply

At 8/18/11 03:13 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 8/18/11 10:04 AM, someplaceelse wrote: pastel stuff + people
My cousin Olivia. This one's got an acrylic underpainting.

a clear blue sky, a fall-winter tree scenario, and she still going about without a jacket >:3

BBS Signature
someplaceelse
someplaceelse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 04:35 PM Reply

It's awesome haha :P

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 8/18/11 12:29 AM, lovingthedark wrote: An old head study done in pen.

I like this
Moar Please!

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 09:31 PM Reply

Thanks guys. Another old head study.

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 10:10 PM Reply

Doesn't look as wrinkly as the other one, but looks good :o

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 10:43 PM Reply

My drawing teacher last year (one of my favorite teachers ever) brought her bass-playing music teacher husband in to model and play for us one class.

Ink on paper.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 10:45 PM Reply

Charcoal. I did this one mostly with my chamois as I recall.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 10:47 PM Reply

Charcoal.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 10:48 PM Reply

Charcoal.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 29th, 2011 @ 05:16 PM Reply

My first experiment with welding, just trying out techniques. Lots of terrifying fun, not a lot of idea where i was going or how i was getting there.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 29th, 2011 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 8/29/11 05:16 PM, lovingthedark wrote: My first experiment with welding, just trying out techniques. Lots of terrifying fun, not a lot of idea where i was going or how i was getting there.

Ooh cool :3
More Welding please. I think you could do some pretty cool metal sculptures.
Makes me wanna go fire up that old, slightly dangerous MIG welder we got in the shop :P

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw Aug. 29th, 2011 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 8/29/11 05:22 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 8/29/11 05:16 PM, lovingthedark wrote: My first experiment with welding, just trying out techniques. Lots of terrifying fun, not a lot of idea where i was going or how i was getting there.
Ooh cool :3
More Welding please. I think you could do some pretty cool metal sculptures.
Makes me wanna go fire up that old, slightly dangerous MIG welder we got in the shop :P

I'm afraid this and the armature for the bone harp are the only things I've welded that were worth keeping. I'll be taking metal fabrication at some point i think and I'll be doing more then.

Go weld, and show me what you make. I'd love to see it.

Below, some abstract graphite thing I did in class last year.

BBS Signature