Be a Supporter!
Kman
Kman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Steam F2P. 2011-08-07 22:09:46 Reply

Second thread about Steam, but im curious, why dont they make some older Valve games free? Like Half Life, the original one. It would get people interested, thus leading to more sales (not like they need it with those awesome ass deals).
Which brings me to my next question, what would you like to see F2P (within reason)?

Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-07 22:10:23 Reply

TF2.. oh wait.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-07 22:12:16 Reply

TF2 is free because of micro transactions.

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-07 22:21:48 Reply

At 8/7/11 10:12 PM, Jin wrote: TF2 is free because of micro transactions.

Pretty much. Most, if not all, F2P games have some sort of store to make profit. That's why I prefer buying a game.

BBS Signature
Yrtnej
Yrtnej
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-07 23:19:11 Reply

At 8/7/11 10:21 PM, zooos wrote:
At 8/7/11 10:12 PM, Jin wrote: TF2 is free because of micro transactions.
Pretty much. Most, if not all, F2P games have some sort of store to make profit. That's why I prefer buying a game.

I don't see how DLC doesn't qualify as some sort of micro transaction. Sure, lots of titles don't have any DLC, but more and more titles are becoming games based around DLC.

Also, I bought a couple things from the TF2 store. For one reason, to be able to get more backpack space than just one tiny page, which was already filling up. For the other reason, I just wanted a few items quickly. I would have spent the minimum of $0.49 for one item, but I can't charge less than $5 to a steam account.

I know that I would never buy any weapons for $8, or any god damn hats for $15. But, some people do. So, micro transactions work in the long run.

Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-07 23:31:54 Reply

I guess it's because relying on the off chance that someone will buy another game because they liked the free one isn't a very stable business plan.

hey

BBS Signature
Kman
Kman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-08 01:16:18 Reply

At 8/7/11 11:31 PM, Crink wrote: I guess it's because relying on the off chance that someone will buy another game because they liked the free one isn't a very stable business plan.

But Vavle's business plans include them cutting a few hundred dollars off a game pack with a shit ton of games, so yea. lolz

Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-08 02:03:05 Reply

At 8/7/11 11:19 PM, Yrtnej wrote: I don't see how DLC doesn't qualify as some sort of micro transaction. Sure, lots of titles don't have any DLC, but more and more titles are becoming games based around DLC.

DLC generally is a one-time sale. You buy some new maps or whatnot, and you never have to buy it again because they're not time or use based. To go free, there really should be some scope for people to keep coming back and buying stuff - in TF2, that factor is keys, paint and tags. All are single use, and if you want to open another crate, repaint a hat, or rename/red describe something, you'll need to purchase another of these items, or in some cases, trade around for them.

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC
Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Steam F2P. 2011-08-08 16:26:36 Reply

They've been giving so many free copies of Portal away I actually owned the game 5 times.