Be a Supporter!

First languages you learned

  • 633 Views
  • 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SeeInTheDark
SeeInTheDark
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Melancholy
First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 05:37 PM Reply

Are you guys bored? Just wondering.
I started with Java as a result of my lousy high school class and, despite my summer plans, have yet to branch out to use of Ruby. Well, I have a few weeks left at home before I ship out to college. I also want to learn Python. Pretty much everyone who has a clue has told me that both of these are better than Java.

I like to combine my ability to program with my love of mathematics to solve or shed light on interesting problems. I'm also learning a little web design so that I can get this job. What's your interest/why?


x

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 05:52 PM Reply

Go with Python, and this video got me going quickly enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTZoB2Vj uk

Java has its uses and so do all programming languages so when people say ones better than the other their talking out their arse as some are better for one thing, where as others are better for something else.

My interests.... I honestly couldn't tell you, I go where the wind takes me and I don't have a 5 year plan!


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
smulse
smulse
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 06:03 PM Reply

I've mainly stuck to markup languages, because I was always better at making things look pretty and playing around in image editors than I was at writing code. I learnt HTML and CSS as they were next in the natural process of things.

I have a Ruby book, and also some stuff on Ruby On Rails but I've never really found the motivation or the time to really get into it. Same with PHP actually, I have a book on PHP, sort of a basic introductions thing but I've never really got into it. I know the basics, though.

And it's something I'd like to pick up and get into eventually, but I just struggle to find the time.


BBS Signature
Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Musician
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 8/4/11 06:03 PM, smulse wrote: And it's something I'd like to pick up and get into eventually, but I just struggle to find the time.

That's what's so great about university if you go into a CS field. You'll have a lot more time to learn as much as you want/can. Take advantage of that!

Python also seems like an easier language to pick up.


Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 06:24 PM Reply

Oh aye and a started with C++, didn't do any OO stuff until the second half of the year but thats what a used and we had Borland Turbo C++ IDE The 1995 edition (because the collage got it for free) and it was 2003 at the time :)


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
smulse
smulse
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 06:49 PM Reply

At 8/4/11 06:17 PM, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: That's what's so great about university if you go into a CS field. You'll have a lot more time to learn as much as you want/can. Take advantage of that!

I would have, but I didn't go the Uni route and I seem to have very little time for things that don't directly earn me money right now unfortunately aha.

That's a bit of a shortsighted ideology though.


BBS Signature
vladimirsan
vladimirsan
  • Member since: Apr. 25, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 11:21 PM Reply

I started with Visual Fox Pro O__O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_FoxP ro ...that of course could mean that I'm old ;)


Check out my blog: vladimirsan.com

vladimirsan
vladimirsan
  • Member since: Apr. 25, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 11:36 PM Reply

I started with Visual Fox Pro...that of course makes me feel old :p


Check out my blog: vladimirsan.com

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Programmer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 01:14 AM Reply

At 8/4/11 05:37 PM, SeeInTheDark wrote: Pretty much everyone who has a clue has told me that both of these are better than Java.

Joelonsoftware had a post on this a while ago that made a lot of sense IMO. Basically when you say you learned Python, ruby etc you can probably safely say that you know 80% of the language (see Pareto principle).
Thing is that the rest of the 20% are just small complications and best practices when it comes to doing something, when you learn these, you can safely say that they have become somewhat of a habit for you.
When you learn a second language, there is a huge chance you will try to apply the habits you've gained over the years in another one and get disappointed when you find out that you can't.

Programming languages are tools and every time you need to do something there's the right tool for the job, anybody stating otherwise needs to grow the fuck up. Python for instance is indeed easier to write and enforces indenting via syntax which is very nice, but I have only met one other person that knows that the standard implementation executes threads sequentially because the goddamn interpreter isn't thread-safe and so on and so forth.

Also, my first language was Pascal

InnerChild548
InnerChild548
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:00 AM Reply

The first language I learned was ActionScript2 is hopes of becoming a talented game developer.

Python is a fucking awesome language. It's really simple and cute. Great for quick solutions to math problems like the ones on Project Euler.


BBS Signature
sharpnova
sharpnova
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 07:56 AM Reply

At 8/4/11 06:49 PM, smulse wrote:
At 8/4/11 06:17 PM, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: That's what's so great about university if you go into a CS field. You'll have a lot more time to learn as much as you want/can. Take advantage of that!
I would have, but I didn't go the Uni route and I seem to have very little time for things that don't directly earn me money right now unfortunately aha.

That's a bit of a shortsighted ideology though.

Nope. It's not.

A shortsighted mindset would be doing fun things that don't earn you money and end up leaving you tremendously in debt, broke, homeless, relying on others to survive. Things like spending all your time learning or creating.

Obviously these things are a lot more fun than boring work. But so are sex, drugs, and alcohol.

The trick is to incorporate learning/creation into your day job. And having the willpower to spend your free time doing it as well.

I'm a programmer so when I deal with a department database, maybe I spend a little time implementing my own hash algorithm from scratch because I don't like the way passwords are stored as cleartext. Is this something I needed or was asked to do? Nope. Did it matter for this department? Nope. Did I learn from it and get to create something fun that I can use later? Yep.


= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Musician
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 08:01 AM Reply

At 8/4/11 06:49 PM, smulse wrote: I would have, but I didn't go the Uni route and I seem to have very little time for things that don't directly earn me money right now unfortunately aha.

That's a bit of a shortsighted ideology though.

You're right. Going to university is FAR from the only option, but I was just mentioning that route, because it does increase your time off and gives you a little extra learning time, which is hard once you start working.
Of course that doesn't mean you can't learn!

As for the topic poster, my first languages were HTML/PHP.


Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
loledeye
loledeye
  • Member since: Jul. 31, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 02:34 PM Reply

The more time I spend at the univerity, the more I realize that the best way of learning something is self-educating
Other ways are pure waste of time

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 8/4/11 06:49 PM, smulse wrote: I would have, but I didn't go the Uni route and I seem to have very little time for things that don't directly earn me money right now unfortunately aha.

That's a bit of a shortsighted ideology though.

I feel sorry for my comrades in England, your governments fucked yous all good and proper with that!


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
PlusPlusKid
PlusPlusKid
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Programmer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 11:17 PM Reply

AS2, all from online tuts, I like c++ now, but I dabble with python, java and UNIX

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 6th, 2011 @ 03:59 AM Reply

AS2, C++ and then AS3.
After learning AS2 and C++, you can learn AS3 in like a week.

noobgamer57
noobgamer57
  • Member since: May. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 6th, 2011 @ 10:33 AM Reply

At 8/4/11 05:37 PM, SeeInTheDark wrote: Are you guys bored? Just wondering.
I started with Java as a result of my lousy high school class and, despite my summer plans, have yet to branch out to use of Ruby. Well, I have a few weeks left at home before I ship out to college. I also want to learn Python. Pretty much everyone who has a clue has told me that both of these are better than Java.

I started with html and css 2 years ago. im currently learning actionscript 2.0 from family members


Steam ID: noobgamer57
Xbox live Gamertag: mckfamily57
Click my signature!!!!

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 6th, 2011 @ 12:47 PM Reply

At 8/5/11 07:56 AM, sharpnova wrote:
That's a bit of a shortsighted ideology though.
Nope. It's not.

A shortsighted mindset would be doing fun things that don't earn you money and end up leaving you tremendously in debt, broke, homeless, relying on others to survive. Things like spending all your time learning or creating.

I don't agree here. I think it's the other way around. Let me give a practical example to portray my opinion.

My first and only language is Actionscript. I picked it up a long while ago and have been working with it only. As a result, I've gotten relatively a lot of job opportunities in flash. Now a friend of mine has spent a lot of time learning a lot of different languages, but he keeps hopping from one to the next that he's never stayed long enough to find work and start earning money. He's just learning for the fun of learning.

Now you may say I have the upper hand over my friend, but in a few years when we graduate, he'd have learned multiple languages and would be able to find work in any of these fields, whereas I would only have flash, and if the flash market went down the toilet, so will I.

I really think the time spent just creating and learning for no monetary gain is very valuable time. Great projects have sprung in such time, and you never know what skill you're going to need and when. If you only learn certain things because you can see that that will eventually earn you back your time then thatwould be short sighted.

iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Programmer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 8th, 2011 @ 05:08 AM Reply

Started with GML (Game Maker Language), if you count it. Otherwise I started with C#.


BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 8th, 2011 @ 07:01 AM Reply

Interesting, I thought most people would have picked up HTML/CSS first. Anyway, that's what I started with. Hearing people talk about Python reminds me I wanted to take a stab at it years ago. Might have to look into that when I've got some free time.


|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
sharpnova
sharpnova
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 10th, 2011 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 8/6/11 12:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:

*snipped idiocy*

I disagree with you because of logic.

But I'd vehemently defend your right to defend your right to the death to have such a ridiculous opinion.


= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

everette00
everette00
  • Member since: Nov. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Programmer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 10th, 2011 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 8/10/11 12:43 AM, sharpnova wrote:
At 8/6/11 12:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
*snipped idiocy*

I disagree with you because of logic.

But I'd vehemently defend your right to defend your right to the death to have such a ridiculous opinion.

Sharpnova, just because you're a failure doesn't mean that people need to die for not sharing your opinions. Also, that last sentence was poorly structured - to the umpteenth degree.

To stay on topic here, the first language I learned was PHP during a Web Programming class I took in high school, but didn't finish the class so I lost interest in learning the language. Shortly after, I looked into game development and became interested in C#, going elbow-deep in learning it because of XNA (XBOX 360 game development on the cheap? Who wouldn't be interested in XNA?).

However, if I had known about how easy it was to learn Python, even to write programs with, compared to C#, I would have definitely learned Python first. Even Ruby is touted as an easy language to learn and build applications with.

NESGeek
NESGeek
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 05:14 PM Reply

HTML, then CSS, I attempted Java and C++ because I wanted to make games, but I gave up. Too hard.

Kammce
Kammce
  • Member since: Oct. 3, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Programmer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 14th, 2011 @ 08:00 PM Reply

At 8/4/11 05:37 PM, SeeInTheDark wrote: Pretty much everyone who has a clue has told me that both of these are better than Java.

The fact that you just said that makes me think that you are not a Real Programmer. Java, C++, C#, Python, perl, Ruby and all the rest are all tools. They all have their pros and cons. If I need to fix my fan, I do not get out my hatchet or hammer. Those are not the right tools for the job. The right tool would be a screw driver in my case with my fan.

I learned Java first, but I was web designing before that. At this point, I have no need to learn anyone programming language because I know how to program, therefor, I can use any programming language. Hopefully you and many other people will understand that.

everette00
everette00
  • Member since: Nov. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Programmer
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 08:08 AM Reply

At 8/14/11 08:00 PM, Kammce wrote:
At 8/4/11 05:37 PM, SeeInTheDark wrote: Pretty much everyone who has a clue has told me that both of these are better than Java.
The fact that you just said that makes me think that you are not a Real Programmer. Java, C++, C#, Python, perl, Ruby and all the rest are all tools. They all have their pros and cons. If I need to fix my fan, I do not get out my hatchet or hammer. Those are not the right tools for the job. The right tool would be a screw driver in my case with my fan.

I learned Java first, but I was web designing before that. At this point, I have no need to learn anyone programming language because I know how to program, therefor, I can use any programming language. Hopefully you and many other people will understand that.

Of course they are all tools, and they have their ups and downs, but there are major preferences and stigmas for programming languages because of those ups and downs, just like one brand of screwdrivers versus another. For example, a programmer working in Python gets the job done faster, with more time to optimize his/her code, than a Perl programmer or Java programmer. Because of that, there are web developers whom will pick Python over Perl because they can iterate on projects more quickly.

Also, knowing one language doesn't give you the entire spectrum of all languages. One, just because you learned Java doesn't mean you know Python just as well - there are huge language differences. Two, memory management in Java pales in comparison to C++, but is also far different than Python's or Ruby's. Three, there are multiple paradigms, with each programming language belonging to one or multiple paradigms: procedural, object-oriented, functional and multi-paradigm are just a few, each with their own quirks that will shape much of the syntax, but not all (i.e, Python and C++ are both OOP languages, but there are vast differences in their syntax); programming paradigms also affect the structure and style of your code in a way (you obviously don't program the same way in procedural-programming languages than you do in OOP). These are three clear reasons why learning one language isn't learning all languages, as well as the journey that software engineers take to construct *better* programming languages.

Josh
Josh
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to First languages you learned Aug. 15th, 2011 @ 08:36 AM Reply

I started with Basic HTML, then Javascript. I also started learning and experimenting with Actionscript 1(Macromedia Flash 5).

Then I started learning dynamic languages such as PHP. Experimented with ColdFusion, ActiveServer Pages and other languages similar to that.

I also mess with Structured Query Languages(e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL). They all use the same basic SQL language which is very flexible when migrating through different database servers.

Also, I tried to program in Perl and C+ to make CGI Programs for websites before MySQL and PHP made it big and then I stopped trying to learn those two and went with PHP for ease of use.


Without money, there is no justice.

BBS Signature