00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ngadm 2011: Round 1

27,873 Views | 486 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-02 16:30:10

Oh well, serves me right for submitting a year-old track XD. Haven't really been producing in awhile, shamefully.

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-02 18:35:47

.. Worked my ass off, but now I have a decent WIP and possible my final submission for this round, I'm going on holidays soon, so I wanted to start as fast as possible and it turns out I had some inspiration today :D

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-02 20:40:40

Whoa boy... This is going to be some tough shit right here. My hands go to Sprittles though for being one of the more unique of the 32.

Classical and cinematic music always has that extra oomph compared to trance and techno. I wonder how the judges are going to act to his writing techniques..

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-02 22:17:19

At 8/2/11 08:40 PM, MusicMasterX wrote: Whoa boy... This is going to be some tough shit right here. My hands go to Sprittles though for being one of the more unique of the 32.

Classical and cinematic music always has that extra oomph compared to trance and techno. I wonder how the judges are going to act to his writing techniques..

I'm actually a little worried my hi fi noise musics won't be as shiny and cool as a genre of music that's hundreds of years old in the first place. I'm considering throwing in the towel.

and that's when I realized all the best classical composers died with the romantic era.

I'm trolling up an argument here as I'm actually a bit of a classical music buff but modern "classical" composers have an orchestra of familiar instruments hundreds of years old (based on their sample libraries) and 12 ageless tones. Electronic artists do the same thing; compose but with the intention of making new contemporary sounds. Classical composers have good taste in music but what's the point of making music that's incredibly simple and overdone? Even sillier, people say electronic music is incredibly simple and overdone as if it were a few hundred years old in the first place.

I think what I'm getting at is that it's kind of disheartening as an electronic music producer that people eat up classical music as if it's unique or better when it's actually neither.

and on that note, GOOD LUCK SPRITTLES!! IMA GO MAEK SOME TECHNO :D :D

quarl BandCamp

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-02 22:42:46

Aw, didn't make it this year; maybe next year. Good luck everyone!

'Cause the music makes me feel good! When I see that look on your face!

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-02 23:01:00

GL Johnny

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 01:35:48

Holy crap! I'm on that list :O YAY! :D lol

OMG I don't have any clue what imma do XD

Okay lets get to work then!

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 01:49:06

At 8/2/11 11:01 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: GL Johnny

OH! Thanks man, good luck 2 u 2! :D

Btw this may come as a silly question, but do we have to make a song in the same genre as our opponent?

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 02:03:58

At 8/2/11 12:46 PM, KKSlider60 wrote: It's been fun. 'Till next time and best of luck too all the participants. :D

Hope to see you next year. You were very close to making it in this year too!

At 8/3/11 01:49 AM, JohnnyFrizz wrote: Btw this may come as a silly question, but do we have to make a song in the same genre as our opponent?

Nope. In past NGADM's, some people used to try and beat their opponent with their opponent's genre (to beat them at their own game, for lack of better expression :D), but that was all competitive fun. You can make it any genre you want!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 03:00:14

At 8/2/11 10:17 PM, Quarl wrote: I'm trolling up an argument here as I'm actually a bit of a classical music buff but modern "classical" composers have an orchestra of familiar instruments hundreds of years old (based on their sample libraries) and 12 ageless tones. Electronic artists do the same thing; compose but with the intention of making new contemporary sounds.

I'm sorry but i can't help but disagree here. Being a classical composer myself, when I write a song I try to make it as original and possible, as new as possible. Just because classical has existed for hundreds of years, doesn't make it an easy genre to write and produce something good in. On the contrary, It actually makes it harder to produce something that's refreshing enough to draw attention, but something that's familiar enough to make the listener feel at home with it.

Classical composers have good taste in music but what's the point of making music that's incredibly simple and overdone? Even sillier, people say electronic music is incredibly simple and overdone as if it were a few hundred years old in the first place.

Again, calling classical music simple is a huge understatement. When classical first started out, orchestras used to number 10 - 15 people. Pianos didn't exist, violins used to be small and weak instruments, flutes were all but tubes of wood with holes in them. Nowadays, you have orchestras of over a hundred people. If that's not change, then I don't know what is. I admire classical music because of all other genres, it is the only one which has remained strong and popular from way back in history.

I think what I'm getting at is that it's kind of disheartening as an electronic music producer that people eat up classical music as if it's unique or better when it's actually neither.

Unfortunately this is true, people tend to think classical music is more unique these days simply because most artists tend to write electronic music, so hearing some classical in the mix is immensely refreshing. But calling classical old or simple or overdone is just wrong IMO. If you want overdone, listen to the NGADM auditions and count how many dubstep tracks there were >.<

Sorry if i come over as defensive, but that's just my honest opinion and I felt that I had to clarify some things there ;)

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 05:22:17

At 8/3/11 03:00 AM, Echo wrote: I'm sorry but i can't help but disagree here.
Again, calling classical music simple is a huge understatement.

I think Quarl was saying that most modern classical composers write fairly simple music. I tend to agree with Quarl (not referring to you, Echo, as I have not listened to any of your music as of yet). I rarely listen to modern classical. I have heard many pieces but most are very forgettable. Lux Aeterna (Requiem of a Dream theme) is one modern piece that I like, but it's got nothing on some of the pieces written throughout history, such as:

Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement by Beethoven

Elegie by Rachmaninoff

Sonata Appassionata 3rd Movement by Beethoven

I challenge any modern musician, electronic or not, to compose something of that standard and technicality.

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 05:30:13

At 8/3/11 05:22 AM, The-iMortal wrote: I challenge any modern musician, electronic or not, to compose something of that standard and technicality.

I wanna see you compose something of that standard and technicality.

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 07:07:02

At 8/3/11 05:30 AM, DJHeat wrote:
At 8/3/11 05:22 AM, The-iMortal wrote: I challenge any modern musician, electronic or not, to compose something of that standard and technicality.
I wanna see you compose something of that standard and technicality.

people like repeative catchy shit nowadays cuz we got stupider :X

http://soundcloud.com/timarbury PM me here or there if you want to use anything. thanks

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 07:11:41

At 8/3/11 07:07 AM, TIMarbury wrote:
At 8/3/11 05:30 AM, DJHeat wrote: I wanna see you compose something of that standard and technicality.

or awesomer :D

No, just stupider :/

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 07:29:11

At 8/3/11 07:11 AM, DJHeat wrote:
At 8/3/11 07:07 AM, TIMarbury wrote:
At 8/3/11 05:30 AM, DJHeat wrote: I wanna see you compose something of that standard and technicality.
or awesomer :D

It's 'more awesome', not awesomer.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 08:29:01

BRING IT! :D

Good luck Nate :D

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 08:32:58

You have to make a new song... that one has been in my iTunes library since july 31st

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 08:36:22

At 8/3/11 08:32 AM, SBB wrote: You have to make a new song... that one has been in my iTunes library since july 31st

Yeah but I never really released it, so can it still count?

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 08:45:35

At 8/3/11 08:36 AM, DJHeat wrote:
At 8/3/11 08:32 AM, SBB wrote: You have to make a new song... that one has been in my iTunes library since july 31st

you have to make it in the fortnight stop being dumb

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 08:46:35

At 8/3/11 08:45 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/3/11 08:36 AM, DJHeat wrote:
you have to make it in the fortnight stop being dumb

fuck me... ugh i'll make a new one then

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 08:48:45

That song is staying up though!

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 08:59:55

At 8/3/11 07:29 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
It's 'more awesome', not awesomer.

lol. like I said, trolling up an argument for arguments sake. sorry echo, no offense intended. just speaking my mind in response to sprittles being "one of the more unique contestants." Personally, I think sinerider is one of the more unique artists of the bunch. His mellow guitar tracks, selection of ambient work and relatively recent exploration of dubstep and drumstep makes him somewhat unpredictable. His work spans so many flavors that sometimes I forget what he's capable of until he puts out a new song and reminds me.

Then there's good old xKore. I got in an argument irl with a friend a little while back over xKore's unique funk. This friend of mine made the mistake of calling xKores music "experimental." My opinion, the word experimental is kind of an offensive word to a musician in that it implies that the musician doesn't know what he's doing. xKore knows exactly what he's doing and he consistently puts out banging tracks that have a salty originality about them.

If xKore has anything going against his unique flavor it's himself. The last time I listened to one of his songs I thought to myself "man, this sounds just like every other xKore song... good thing he's the only one making this kind of stuff or else it might get old fast."

I also just realized sessile was on that list of people who made it. Ians another person that I adore and he has a really consistent sound. All of his tracks have really coherent climaxes. He knows just when to turn on the heat and put things in overdrive. I listened to nothing but him for a day and followed the structure in his songs and came to the conclusion that they all had really incredible journeys that pyramid. There's a moment in all of his tracks when everything just comes together and you say to yourself "this is what I've been waiting for." I'm tempted to say that no one in this contest is as consistently sexy as Ian.

I'm also really excited to hear what nubbin, Rig, SBB, JohnnyFriz, djNate, brokendeck, mjattie, solus-lunes and everyone else brings to the table this year. This contest is full of unique power players that to say any contestant is more unique than another is just kind of silly...

I'm already missing spikrodds scent in the running :C

quarl BandCamp

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 09:36:45

At 8/3/11 08:59 AM, Quarl wrote: I'm also really excited to hear what nubbin, Rig, SBB, JohnnyFriz, djNate, brokendeck, mjattie, solus-lunes and everyone else brings to the table this year.

Let's not forget good 'ol Decibel huh? :D

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 09:38:59

At 8/3/11 09:36 AM, Decibel wrote:
At 8/3/11 08:59 AM, Quarl wrote: I'm also really excited to hear what nubbin, Rig, SBB, JohnnyFriz, djNate, brokendeck, mjattie, solus-lunes and everyone else brings to the table this year.
Let's not forget good 'ol Decibel huh? :D

And the newb deej heat, I hear he makes some sick ass tunez bro

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 10:04:26

lol, sorry guys. I just quickly jotted down a number of peeps whose work I've been following for the last three to four years. It's nothing personal. I'm just not as familiar with your guises works as I would like to be. Honestly, I could name a handful of Rig songs off the top of my head that blew my mind nearly four years ago and to this day continue to rock as if they were brand new.

Also, Olivia Remix is sex.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 11:17:45

At 8/3/11 10:04 AM, Quarl wrote: lol, sorry guys.

Listen to the newbs songs, Quarl.

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 11:47:51

At 8/3/11 11:17 AM, Decibel wrote:
At 8/3/11 10:04 AM, Quarl wrote: lol, sorry guys.
Listen to the newbs songs, Quarl.

Stop self-advertising you little scumbag :P

Also Quarl, no offense taken, I just wanted to clarify that a classical artist can be original too, just like anyone else. Have you ever listened to some of Danman87's songs? If not, then you should ;)

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 16:12:24

Gah, someone post something.

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 16:58:52

At 8/3/11 04:12 PM, Decibel wrote: Gah, someone post something.

no

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 1 2011-08-03 17:05:22

At 8/3/11 04:58 PM, SBB wrote:
At 8/3/11 04:12 PM, Decibel wrote: Gah, someone post something.
no

ahh, I see what you did thar.

kemm qieghed sew xbin.