Be a Supporter!

MLP serious discussion thread

  • 61,730 Views
  • 1,581 Replies
New Topic
RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 04:37 AM

At 8/3/11 03:50 AM, tox wrote:
Hate begets hate...

Better take this at heart and be annoyed by posts that aren't thought out. This thread is already 9 pages long, so you can't really expect people to read it thoroughly. And I didn't see much hate radiating from majormario's posts. Questions towards the fanbase, yes. But they weren't entirely unfounded.
If you start acting as if no one can critique the show, you basically show that you take the show way too seriously.

Concerning PPG, Lauren Faust did work on the later seasons (not so much the earlier ones, if I'm not mistaken). Her deviant-art page also shows that she remained quite fond of PPG (her icon reminds me a lot of PPG), so the show had a big influence, I wager.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 04:53 AM

At 8/2/11 10:51 PM, RubberTrucky wrote: Been neglecting this thread for the rest of the day now. Upon coming back, noticing no one has mentioned Pinkie yet.

It's hard to mention her she makes no little sense :P

Definitely my favourite character far above the rest. She mixes ditziness with intelligence, seems to always ignore that others don't see the steps she makes to reach to a conclusion. she's not afraid to be acting weird and about that doesn't even mind getting comments. she's somewhere in between not knowing about private boundaries (see Ticket Master "at least the others try to be subtle") and still holding a high moral of friendship (FOREVER and basically, party of one).

I do love how she has basically grown up with the idea that everyone loves her and loves to laugh at what she does and loves her parties, so if any of those don't end up being the case she either completely misses the point and doesn't notice, like when shes jumping around talking to Twilight at the start of griffon brush off blatantly missing the point that Twilight really doesn't want to talk to her at the time. Also like you said with ticket master when shes throwing Twilight in the air saying to take her to the party without even trying to slyly get to her and sets up a huge party for it, just because its the type of thing that always works for her so she doesn't see why it wouldn't work.

In Griffon the Brush off, I initially felt a bit of an aversion. Seemed a bit silly for a prankster. But it was okay (spoiler alert) at the end when she didn't purposely set Gilda up to chase her away.

I did love Pinkie in that episode, she showed her good side with refusing to prank Fluttershy knowing she wouldn't find it funny which did show she knew when she goes to far. And she almost questions if she is maybe a little jealous, but then completely throws it away when she notices Gilda being mean, even though she is still jealous about it at the same time. With her entire idea just being throw her a party as somehow, in Pinkie Pie logic, a party is the best thing to make her nicer?

Dragonshy gave her some of the better moments, like when rarity covers her in dust (Rarity had that cute putting on the shawl moment) and later on the chicken (most random moment in the show, leaving even rarity speechless) and her whole attire to face the dragon. (Pinkie Pie did... whatever she does)

She just really fills her random funny role well on that episode. I also love the invitation where Rainbow Dash just tries making a cocky line , but then Pinkie Pie, for some reason completely beyond understanding, actually carries around invitations fit with exploding silly string and sounds all set up with her at all times for...some reason? Thats one of the reasons why I like to suggest that episode for new people to watch, as Pinkie Pie just does so much stupid stuff in that episode that it really makes the episode funny.

Further in the series, she kept delivering good moments. Bridle Gossip's work in progress, her acquisition of the flute, while ignoring Rarity in Swarm of the Century, tricking Applebloom into making cupcakes (plus the song), her skating in Winter wrap-up ( although 'that nest needs to be condemned" might be my favourite line in the first season), and so on. In particular her part in the Show Stoppers was golden.

One of my favourite lines from Pinkie Pie would be with Sonic Rainboom where she is busy jumping around having fun like normal, Twilight asks what a Sonic Rainboom is, then Pinkie Pie just stops looks at her and says "You really need to get out more", then instantly afterwards starting to bounce around joyfully again. I just can't not find that funny coming from her. And it's really true with how much Twilight only reads books.

No, I don't dislike other ponies, but Pinkie Pie is just a God level higher in my opinion.

She is an amazing pony, I just personally find her a little hard to feel like I have stuff in common with her, as I really really don't :p


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:59 PM

At 8/2/11 07:41 PM, tox wrote: btw, when does the next season drop?

December if I remember correctly.


If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:03 PM

I dont see all that many pinkie pie fanatics...

In my opinion, i think pinkie pie is just hilarious. Extreemly random, realy funny, i think she's great.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
andre-tricentenial
andre-tricentenial
  • Member since: Mar. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:07 PM

ok, because we're having a serious discussion here, and i'm not on a website where i'll get trolled the fuck out of for asking; what's the appeal of the show to you?
i honestly can't see why so many people all over the place are in love with the show yet can't seem to figure out a reason why. what's so great about a cartoon aimed at little girls, from your perspective?


bunp

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:12 PM

At 8/3/11 08:07 PM, andre-tricentenial wrote: ok, because we're having a serious discussion here, and i'm not on a website where i'll get trolled the fuck out of for asking; what's the appeal of the show to you?

It's difficult to explain, and it appears to be a love/hate sort of thing. People who enjoyed watching Powerpuff Girls or Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends enjoy this show because it is of the same nature. It is also a departure from the previous MLP series and it doesn't take itself seriously and has enough well-crafted jokes to keep an adult audience entertained. Or as someone else put it:

It's awesome
It's awesome
It's awesome
It's awesome
It's awesome
It's awesome
The animation is FANTASTIC.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:14 PM

At 8/3/11 08:07 PM, andre-tricentenial wrote: what's so great about a cartoon aimed at little girls, from your perspective?

That's pretty much it for me. Although it is a show aimed at little girls it doesn't talk down to that audience or pushy the stereotypical girly themes in their faces 24/7 like what Barbie does. It is a show that can work for any and all ages as well as any gender to be honest.

For me I love animation and when I heard about this show I had the same thoughts of "girly show gonna suck, people follow it because it's a meme" however I was sorely wrong. For a show based on "My Little Pony" there is a lot of effort put into it and that's what surprises me yet at the same time makes me like about it. It is a moral show though in other words it teaches kids something at the end of it, but the journey to the moral is the fun part.

One particular episode is the sleepover episode which can be found in just about every single girl show. This episode though seems to parody sleepovers more than anything though when you get down to it.

Also the writing is wonderful and the characters are memorable and enjoyable. As a cartoon show and animation in general it's an all-around great show.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:41 PM

At 8/3/11 08:03 PM, Xenomit wrote: I dont see all that many pinkie pie fanatics...

If you say so.

tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:43 PM

At 8/3/11 08:41 PM, Ryan wrote:
At 8/3/11 08:03 PM, Xenomit wrote: I dont see all that many pinkie pie fanatics...
If you say so.

there is... so much.. awesome..
http://www.ponychan.net/chan/www/src/130 714351018.jpg


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 3rd, 2011 @ 09:21 PM

At 8/3/11 08:03 PM, Xenomit wrote: I dont see all that many pinkie pie fanatics...

I'm not a fanatic over anypony, I really like them all nearly the same. Pinkie is really awesome, and quite funny, in my opinion, I enjoy her as a character a lot. I do hope they develop her more though, more episodes like Party of One or Griffon the Brush Off would be awesome.

At 8/3/11 08:14 PM, The-Great-One wrote: At 8/3/11 08:07 PM, andre-tricentenial wrote: what's so great about a cartoon aimed at little girls, from your perspective?
Wisdom

Pretty much this, I've explained countless times before, so I'll do it again but streamline it. I like the show because of:

Great animation
Great characters
Great writing
Amazing voice acting
Good humor

And the general nature and art style of the show tends to brighten my day, which is also a plus. It's really not too hard to believe that a kid's show can have these elements, the team behind the show really has put a lot of effort into it, and it has certainly paid off. It's a great show, and cartoon.


[Last.FM] [Steam ID]
Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 4th, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

I just heard somthing amazing, and it made me think about this:

The kid in me likes my little pony, and the adult in me likes the kid in me


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 12:39 AM

Is this thread proof enough to the moderators that we can have serious discussions about a show without picture spamming? Can we please have a Club in the Club and Crew Forum so those who don't like the show in General will stop complaining?


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:14 AM

At 8/3/11 08:14 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 8/3/11 08:07 PM, andre-tricentenial wrote: what's so great about a cartoon aimed at little girls, from your perspective?
That's pretty much it for me. Although it is a show aimed at little girls it doesn't talk down to that audience or pushy the stereotypical girly themes in their faces 24/7 like what Barbie does. It is a show that can work for any and all ages as well as any gender to be honest.

A great example is Rarity.
She's the show's character who has the girly part of being into fashion. She does have a streak of vanity (she has her moments of "Oh no, my hair"), but she kicks a manticore in the face. She is really professional about it and actually enjoyable as a character. Most girly shows would turn fashion into such a passion that that's the only thing the character talks about and make the character so effeminate that it bugs you greatly.

At 8/3/11 09:21 PM, Viri wrote:
At 8/3/11 08:03 PM, Xenomit wrote: I dont see all that many pinkie pie fanatics...
I'm not a fanatic over anypony, I really like them all nearly the same. Pinkie is really awesome, and quite funny, in my opinion, I enjoy her as a character a lot. I do hope they develop her more though, more episodes like Party of One or Griffon the Brush Off would be awesome.

It does kind of saddens me that party of one and stuff like cupcakes turn Pinkie into an icon of insanity and gae Pinkamena a violent undertone.
I did like the fact that she was being so stubborn, especially near the end, that she just jumped to crazy conclusions over the obvious and stuck with those.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
Darthleather
Darthleather
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:15 AM

Men who watch My Little Pony fucking disgust me.


I LIKE MONEY

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:15 AM

At 8/5/11 03:15 AM, Darthleather wrote: Men who watch My Little Pony fucking disgust me.

Hello.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:16 AM

At 8/5/11 03:15 AM, Darthleather wrote: Men who watch My Little Pony fucking disgust me.

Why? Explain why, and use a convincing argument other than that its directed at kids.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
Darthleather
Darthleather
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:17 AM

At 8/5/11 03:15 AM, Ryan wrote:
At 8/5/11 03:15 AM, Darthleather wrote: Men who watch My Little Pony fucking disgust me.
Hello.

What?


I LIKE MONEY

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:19 AM

At 8/5/11 03:17 AM, Darthleather wrote:
At 8/5/11 03:15 AM, Ryan wrote:
At 8/5/11 03:15 AM, Darthleather wrote: Men who watch My Little Pony fucking disgust me.
Hello.
What?

I like ponies. I am an adult male.

Let's build from there.

Darthleather
Darthleather
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:21 AM

There are just some things men are not supposed to do. liking My Little Pony is one of those things.


I LIKE MONEY

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:22 AM

At 8/5/11 03:21 AM, Darthleather wrote: There are just some things men are not supposed to do. liking My Little Pony is one of those things.

I ask again, why. Please, im beging you, explain why?


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:22 AM

That's part of her character though... she has to be spontanious, with a few tweeks she would not be as memorable of a character... pinky is suppost to represent fun, fan fiction depicts her as a pony that is off the wall crazy, cute and cuddely or batshit insane/fun
analyzing the responds of the fans proves that the character seas correctly made because many of them are based off of the idea of funny things she does,
in many ways she's the adhd character of the show... griffen brush off.. she gets to the clouds with a trampoline and then a bunch of baloons and then a flying pony machine, its solely based off the idea of strange wacky and fun, its also why she has the character roll of singing about things,
Psychologically speaking she is the pony that will speak to the youngest part of the audience because she winds, is pink, is depicted as cute and semi fluffy with her tail, and holds a grudge for a full span of 4 seconds, she will also show love for anyone that will get along with her, or have fun with her or join her parties


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:23 AM

At 8/5/11 03:21 AM, Darthleather wrote: There are just some things men are not supposed to do. liking My Little Pony is one of those things.

What about a gay man? Or a father?

Or how about a gay father cyborg, from the future. Bet you didn't think of that!

Darthleather
Darthleather
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:24 AM

At 8/5/11 03:22 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 8/5/11 03:21 AM, Darthleather wrote: There are just some things men are not supposed to do. liking My Little Pony is one of those things.
I ask again, why. Please, im beging you, explain why?

Because God decreed it!


I LIKE MONEY

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:25 AM

At 8/5/11 03:22 AM, tox wrote: and holds a grudge for a full span of 4 seconds

I can just remember the time in episode 2 where she's chrying waterfalls, then is suddenly overriden with joy and happienes


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:26 AM

At 8/5/11 03:23 AM, Ryan wrote:
At 8/5/11 03:21 AM, Darthleather wrote: There are just some things men are not supposed to do. liking My Little Pony is one of those things.
What about a gay man? Or a father?

Or how about a gay father cyborg, from the future. Bet you didn't think of that!

I need to change out my leaky geroty array.... ryan you got a spare

this convo should change to mlp soon guys...

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:33 AM

At 8/5/11 03:26 AM, tox wrote: this convo should change to mlp soon guys...

Then don't feed the obvious flaming troll.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:39 AM

At 8/5/11 03:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 8/5/11 03:26 AM, tox wrote: this convo should change to mlp soon guys...
Then don't feed the obvious flaming troll.

Whatmade you want to put pinkie in your sig anyways
since we are on the topic


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 03:46 AM

At 8/5/11 03:39 AM, tox wrote: Whatmade you want to put pinkie in your sig anyways
since we are on the topic

Pinkie Pie is my favorite Pony and one of my two favorite characters. The second one being Spike. I like Pinkie Pie because she reminds me of one of my friends who bakes goodies, likes to throw parties, and is completely random and constantly happy most of the time and enjoys laughing. That's one reason.

The other is how random Pinkie Pie can be at times which I find hilarious.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 04:00 AM

At 8/5/11 03:21 AM, Darthleather wrote: There are just some things men are not supposed to do. liking My Little Pony is one of those things.

I tried to watch Steven Seagal movies, but then I punched a cat in the face, so I tend to not do that anymore.
I am the proud owner of the Die Hard quadrillogy, though.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
WeirdJamFace
WeirdJamFace
  • Member since: May. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 5th, 2011 @ 04:39 AM

How many times have you guys watched the show? I've watched all the episodes 3 times now and I'm still not bored of the show. I can't pick a favourite episode either as there are too many contenders.

Btw, did anyone find the CMC episodes less enjoyable then the rest?

Why yes, that IS a large collection of 1998 "Smithy's Favourite Times" Licenced Cereal Pop Toys!

BBS Signature