• 1,581 Replies
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:24:34

What up MLP fans back to "briefly" ( nope it's long) discuss watching episode 3, luckily it was early enough where no one is awake. (problem? :P)

So after my reviews of episodes one and 2 (which to be honest should've just been considered one episode with 2 parts but whatever. ) I was requested to watch a different episode, because many of you said the first one wasn't a good start off which is counter productive to its reception if you ask me but it is what it is.

On to the Review of Episode 3:

That DAMN theme song is still like nails on a chalk board. However, It could be the sleep deprivation talking but episode 3 wasn't half bad. In fact I'm satisfied enough to even say I enjoyed.

The story was pretty much a personal vendetta with Twilight struggling with her decision to take one of her pony friends to a party. If this summary was as straight forward as the episode itself ,obviously it would be boring as hell, and who could blame you? Fortunately that's not the case, The characters retain their interesting personalities, with still top notch art design and coloring to match. But wait a second did this show just successfully pull off witty banter? Pretty impressive for a show about ponies.

Also this episode is the most humorous one yet, using character personalities well timed slapstick-like action, and conversational humor to its advantage even the silly pony puns were worth a chuckle. All the ponies have a certain charm to them which is uniqueness as well as them providing humor in their own way. The ending was kinda forced almost felt like a cop-out in a sense to not disappoint young viewers but in the it was just the message of the day so I'll overlook it. Shows with positive influences are never a bad thing despite how obnoxious some may seem.

I could be wrong but it seems like I could eventually come across an episode where the ponies start actually having real conflict again, and hopefully soon. The show is still lacking violence which it claims to offer in it's own doses based on the premiere episodes. Not necessarily a big deal cause substituting action with comedy is an even trade,BUT isn't that the point of their powers?More importantly this could seal the deal for a more positive reception from me if the writers start making the audience take the ponies more seriously every once and a while. I wouldn't mind no longer viewing the ponies as pushovers so weak that even little Chao could beat them up. Except Rapidash....she'll Fuck even Perfect Chaos up. XD

Regardless, Episode 3 was enjoyable and the effort put in this episode seems to be more impressive then the effort in MLP's launch episode (it was probably that gay serpent). Or maybe that's not the case, maybe I'm slowly evolving or (mutating), however you wanna look at it into becoming a "bronie" and its style is starting to grow on me. Well I guess time will tell.

I'm in no hurry to catch up to the latest episode yet, I'm not that hooked. I'll continue to give MLP reviews in this forum to whom it may concern and keep reviewing unless I come across the one episode that just gets me hooked.

until then...

Pros:

- Characters are still fun to look at ( in a non "furry" way.)

- The humor is anted up, and continuing to take a step in the right direction

- Art style as beautiful and cool as always

- No longer starting to feel like it's a Strict girls only show.

-Embarrassment is virtually gone while watching ALONE at least (Be greatful one stepping stone at a time .)

-Rapid dash is the coolest horse

-Twilight has the most commendable personality

-Spike is awesome cause dragons are awesome

-All of them were funny but Flutter-shy is the Funniest because of her already hinted personality trait,that bunny helped to.

CONS: (Yes there's Cons)

- *Sigh* Damn,MLP theme......what can I say? I can only pray it will grow on me.

- They apparently have unique powers but still proves useless (except for twilight Sparkle) outside of making stuff look pretty. I think the art style got this down pack already and your female fan base ain't goin nowhere. I know there girls but the art style is feminine enough if you ask me.

-Of course I'm not expecting a solid narrative from the show but being 19...well, watching someone deciding who to take to a party is pretty insignificant overall. I know the age demographic isn't meant for us, but they obviously put enough effort in the show to attract 100+ NG pony fans. So would it be unreasonable not to desire a more interesting story? Just sayin....

Don't fret it was good overall:

7/10

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
coleknows
coleknows
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:31:00

At 9/17/11 10:35 AM, Acronze wrote: Youtube rips are up.

Dayum! That villian really knows how to manipulate ponies. Although, his act was kind of silly and not serious like Nightmare moon, i think his tactics are alot more cruel and unexpected.

Overall, really good after a long absence. Like to see others opinions though.

Also rodericii or watever your name is, glad you found a good interest. It is true that it does get less girly after a while but i gotta warn you, art of the dress if probably the most so i would avoid that one until you feel ready. It's actually a good episode if you can ignore the "dress" concept :P

My name is actually CK. Coleknows is too old.

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:32:28

Some of that stuff Discord did was creepy as fuck.

Balloon Head.
coleknows
coleknows
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:35:55

At 9/17/11 11:32 AM, ImaSmartass2 wrote: Some of that stuff Discord did was creepy as fuck.

Balloon Head.

I like the way how fluttershy trolled to him though.

Element of trolling, lol

My name is actually CK. Coleknows is too old.

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 12:03:33

Wait so how many episodes have been show? Sound like three? Any online other than the first?

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 12:04:57

At 9/17/11 12:03 PM, MintPaw wrote: Wait so how many episodes have been show? Sound like three? Any online other than the first?

Only episode 1 of season 2 was shown back to back. Now I look forward to part 2 next week. Wonder what will happen to Discord when they get the elements back.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 12:05:16

At 9/17/11 12:03 PM, MintPaw wrote: Wait so how many episodes have been show? Sound like three? Any online other than the first?

If your basing that off my review, I assure you theres far more than three episodes available. I just go with my own flow.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
jonathanfis
jonathanfis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 12:58:43

I hate my little pony

but here's a link to the first episode of season 2

XBL: Taillesspack819 Send a Friend Request if u want :D

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 13:02:02

At 9/17/11 12:58 PM, jonathanfis wrote: I hate my little pony

but here's a link to the first episode of season 2

When it says in the description of the video "CLICK HERE for the real first episode", I don't think you're going to fool anyone.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 13:58:53

At 9/17/11 01:52 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Unfortunately, the Hub isn't working for me. I guess I'll just wait for someone to upload it on youtube. I might wait until the entire second season has finished airing so I can watch it in the same way I watched the first. (A few each day) That would take like six months though, right?

Last page had a link to one down near the bottom actually. Quite fast upload time I guess.

Other than that though, I've just been reading a lot more fics. Ive never really been interested in fanfiction before.

Sounds good, some of the readings on youtube are good.

Hope you guys who already watched the first episode enjoyed it.

BBS Signature
RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 14:05:35

At 9/16/11 01:45 PM, Finalfina wrote: This too. I think my girlfriend is the only person irl that knows i am a brony. Oh wait... one of my roommates knows too. I don't advertise it though.

About four of my friends IRL know I'm a brony. I don't really go around announcing it. If anybody asks I'll say yeah, but otherwise I don't really make points about it. I find it surprising how often conversations about ponies come up around me and said friends though. I never start conversations about ponies because I'd assume my friends wouldn't like it, so I only start talking about it when they do.

Anyways, I was planning on catching up with all the posts cine last time, but I don't wanna get spoiled. I'm gonna try to watch the new episode tomorrow if I can. Right now I can't though. But from what I can tell from some of your posts, it must be awesome.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 14:35:26

What are peoples take on the game Discord made? Without trying to add spoilers as people said they didn't want any. Personally after thinking about it and knowing the type of gamemaster and trickster he is, I was wondering do you think the words he said actually related to the maze like Twilight Sparkle said? And when he said you will arrive back where you started?

As I thought maybe he meant the twists and turns being their emotions and attitudes changing as they did, and returning to where you started meaning them getting back to their normal selves? As if it's all a huge game he is playing wanting them to get back their true selves as he has fun watching them doing it. Knowing they will eventually get the elements back when they are done.

To his character it does seem like something he would play, knowing in the end he would loose but wanting to have the fun with the ponies while it lasted. Maybe he's a nice guy inside who just wants attention and fun.

Or am I just looking to deeply into this you think?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Racoonmario
Racoonmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 14:37:24

S2E1 720p without ads.

Man, this was some first episode. Really good.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature
TailsPrower
TailsPrower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Voice Actor
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 15:20:24

Discord's little dance on Twi's head looks very familiar...

Everywhere I go, there's a sergeant there.

BBS Signature
Robsterman
Robsterman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 16:09:49

Holy shit, that was... dark.

I think they've dumped the original target audience completely. xD

Why the fuck are you reading this?

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 16:16:26

At 9/17/11 04:09 PM, Robsterman wrote: Holy shit, that was... dark.

why?

what on earth happend?

my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 16:18:09

At 9/17/11 03:20 PM, TailsPrower wrote: Discord's little dance on Twi's head looks very familiar...

Got to enjoy those little references.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 17:29:54

At 9/17/11 04:16 PM, MrPercie wrote:
At 9/17/11 04:09 PM, Robsterman wrote: Holy shit, that was... dark.

why?

what on earth happend?

It was actually really well made and wasn't dark. The thing is it looks dark to us as we have a darker view on things as it is.

Again not wanting to spoil, but he basically forced each pony to go against their elements, Applejack was forced to lie not liking the truth she was shown etc.
The villain himself was shown as a complete joker, he was having fun, dancing on Twilight's head etc. and admitting to Pinkie Pie he loved her laughing style, he was generally shown to be a sort of goofy yet also manipulative character. And that is exactly what he did he manipulated each pony to be what they don't like. It isn't dark as much as it is a game he is playing.

I will admit I felt very sorry for them, especially Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, those two did get the bad end of the game. However we have seen similar from them in the past in Party of One and Best Night Ever etc. They have these sides to them and all Discord did was to force them out rather than make them himself. He hid the better sides of them away but didn't destroy them.

In the end, what you see from this episode is what YOU see, little girls who haven't been brought up on the internet will see it as funny yet also a little upsetting and will be looking forward to seeing them getting better, people on the internet are going to see it as cruel etc. It is perception.

Either way, Discord is made out to be such a comical and loveable villain that is helps lower all the worries, as you know in the end he is doing it all for a laugh, a tasteless laugh maybe, but he doesn't want to cause any real pain.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 17:56:44

At 9/17/11 03:20 PM, TailsPrower wrote: Discord's little dance on Twi's head looks very familiar...

On that note, Dance!

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 18:42:42

At 9/17/11 06:41 PM, Addict wrote: I really wanna find some pony hentai since it's one of the best versions of hentai. is

sweet I aint alone

we can be best freinds

my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 18:43:27

At 9/17/11 05:56 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
On that note, Dance!

Discord seems to have a face on like he was doing the worst dance ever.

BBS Signature
wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 19:12:12

At 9/17/11 04:18 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
Got to enjoy those little references.

Have a 5 minute video of the 2 synched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG35VKg62 GA

That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 19:14:27

Could anyone remind me how many of our community members are currently serving a ban? The number just keep piling up.

Ryan
Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 20:00:55

At 9/17/11 07:12 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: Have a 5 minute video of the 2 synched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG35VKg62 GA

That's amazing.

I still remember that very episode of Dexter's Lab being the first I ever saw too.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 20:10:14

At 9/17/11 07:14 PM, ImaSmartass2 wrote: Could anyone remind me how many of our community members are currently serving a ban? The number just keep piling up.

If someone is banned it is due to breaking some forum rules and nothing more. It has nothing to do with the fact that there are bronies on the site.

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 20:13:10

At 9/17/11 08:10 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 9/17/11 07:14 PM, ImaSmartass2 wrote: Could anyone remind me how many of our community members are currently serving a ban? The number just keep piling up.
If someone is banned it is due to breaking some forum rules and nothing more. It has nothing to do with the fact that there are bronies on the site.

I'm just inquiring.

Outlaw88
Outlaw88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 20:37:46

Just saw the new episode. Good stuff. I admit hearing Pinkie say "Chocolate Rain" made me laugh a bit.

It's a great way to start the new season. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the next one.

WWE Club Founder of the "Weird" Al club & Strong Badia. TMBG Club! MLP! Sig by: Ryan
Click the sig... Check my blog. My podcast: The Freakacast!

BBS Signature
ToastedToastyToast
ToastedToastyToast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 20:46:24

I am a hater. But Im not here to flame, just to put up a simple message where you people are going to be able to see it.

Everybody likes different things. Being a hater of something is NOT a bad thing. Nor is liking something a bad thing either. Theres no Haters gonna Hate business to it. People like different things, you cant change this fact. Least of all by flaming the haters. If all haters stopped flaming the fans and all Fans stopped flaming the haters things would be better. I for one would just like to say, that granted, you want to spread the MLP whatever you do around. But theres a time and place for it. I.e. HERE.

If you want to post MLP memes and generic captioned images then do so on one of the many many many designated sites or threads or make a new one. Bringing it up all the time will only start of us "Haters" and it will be nobodies fault but your own. Just a friendly word. If the haters and fans kept to themselves then tihngs would be better but that will only happen if everyone tries to make it happen. All of you should, like me, do the mature thing and keep your opinions to yourselves except where absolutely necesary. MLP is fine. But not everybody likes it or wants to hear about it.

Have a nice day.

If in doubt then set it on fire because fire is A if not THE answer and solution to absolutely everything.
-- Corey Griffin 2008
</thread></head></body></html>

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 20:49:28

At 9/17/11 08:46 PM, ToastedToastyToast wrote: Have a nice day.

All I ask is that if you're going to hate have reason to it other than "it's a girl's show" or "it's stupid." If you honestly think it is stupid or annoying to you and you have good reason for it after seeing at least a few episodes of the show, then I can understand and respect said opinion. As long as they can respect my opinion for liking the show and not just call me a shameless bandwagon rider.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 20:59:49

At 9/17/11 08:46 PM, ToastedToastyToast wrote: I am a hater. But Im not here to flame, just to put up a simple message where you people are going to be able to see it.

That's quite alright sir, I acknowledge that not everyone is of same mind or body, and therefore will not have the same opinion.

Everybody likes different things. Being a hater of something is NOT a bad thing. Nor is liking something a bad thing either. Theres no Haters gonna Hate business to it. People like different things, you cant change this fact. Least of all by flaming the haters. If all haters stopped flaming the fans and all Fans stopped flaming the haters things would be better.

So you're saying if we would all get along, we would all get along? This is not something new to me.

I for one would just like to say, that granted, you want to spread the MLP whatever you do around. But theres a time and place for it. I.e. HERE.

Wonderful, that's exactly what I've been trying to do ever since this thread was established.

If you want to post MLP memes and generic captioned images then do so on one of the many many many designated sites or threads or make a new one.

That's not this thread's intent. We just want to talk about the show. We would probably be in C&C if the mods let us, but alas that is simply not the case.

Bringing it up all the time will only start of us "Haters" and it will be nobodies fault but your own. Just a friendly word. If the haters and fans kept to themselves then tihngs would be better but that will only happen if everyone tries to make it happen. All of you should, like me, do the mature thing and keep your opinions to yourselves except where absolutely necesary.

Aren't you the upstanding moral citizen? Trust me, the majority of us like to stick to this thread alone.

MLP is fine. But not everybody likes it or wants to hear about it.

I understand this, you're not talking a child you know.

Have a nice day.

And you as well.