00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MLP serious discussion thread

123,530 Views | 1,032 Replies

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-16 21:20:14

Had to ask my Mom to record the new episodes, she started laughing.

Hi.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-16 22:13:29

At 9/16/11 01:40 PM, Bahamut wrote: There goes whatever respect I had for him.

Losing respect for someone just because of a show they like to watch? That seems a bit childish to me if you ask.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 00:03:44

At 9/16/11 10:13 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Losing respect for someone just because of a show they like to watch? That seems a bit childish to me if you ask.

"Yeah, well...watching a show for little girls is pretty childish too!"

Now that that's out of the way, holy fuck I can't believe Season two starts in about ten hours!

Also I liked that interview with Lauren Faust.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 00:59:56

in case you didn't know, Discord is voiced by Q from star trek.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 04:04:03

At 9/16/11 10:13 PM, The-Great-One wrote:

More like it's losing respect for him because he's just hopping on a lame bandwagon like everyone. He was a lot better than this.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 04:33:49

At 9/17/11 04:04 AM, Bahamut wrote: More like it's losing respect for him because he's just hopping on a lame bandwagon like everyone. He was a lot better than this.

Why do you just assume everybody who watches the show is just riding a bandwagon? Yeah there are people who do I'm not denying that, but if you see Doug's other videos and listen to his opinions and thoughts it shows that he is not the kind of guy who jumps on bandwagons just for the hell of it.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 06:12:53

Apparently will be shown on here. Just a few hours away, should be good was fearing I would need to wait for youtube.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 06:18:33

Over 50 pages and what? This thread really should've stopped a long time ago, now general just looks like bronies HQ.

___,....--!--..---......,,,,¡_

||___---_¡c»(\)ÌÌÌÌÌÌ||||||==

. /_/-' l____}|------IIIIIIII-77777/

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 06:23:55

At 9/17/11 06:18 AM, Cocktor wrote: Over 50 pages and what? This thread really should've stopped a long time ago, now general just looks like bronies HQ.

at least we're keeping it under one thread, why is it so hard for us to be open-minded and watch the show and like it for real.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 06:49:29

At 9/17/11 06:23 AM, RyanBustersword123 wrote: at least we're keeping it under one thread

I have a new respect for this thread

!NG Birthday List! :3 Current Count: 151 <3|||HELLO OPERATOR!|||Greatest Thread Ever!

Formerly, and still,Rahvin-the-vampire. Thanks Valjylmyr :)

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 07:05:34

At 9/17/11 06:23 AM, RyanBustersword123 wrote:
At 9/17/11 06:18 AM, Cocktor wrote: Over 50 pages and what? This thread really should've stopped a long time ago, now general just looks like bronies HQ.
at least we're keeping it under one thread, why is it so hard for us to be open-minded and watch the show and like it for real.

Besides it would be in the Clubs & Crews and out of "your" General forum, but for some reason having it here and is better than it being in Clubs & Crews.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 07:25:31

BROHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

MLP serious discussion thread

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 07:46:14

At 9/17/11 06:12 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Apparently will be shown on here. Just a few hours away, should be good was fearing I would need to wait for youtube.

Crazy, there's over a thousand people in the IRC channel.

Making my browser lag.

Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 08:38:42

At 9/17/11 07:46 AM, Acronze wrote:
At 9/17/11 06:12 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Apparently will be shown on here. Just a few hours away, should be good was fearing I would need to wait for youtube.
Crazy, there's over a thousand people in the IRC channel.

Making my browser lag.

Thanks for warning that will likely lag me up.

Also currently Sea Ponies!

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:00:08

And it starts... now.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:06:47

At 9/17/11 09:05 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Well 2 new episodes in a row, this is going to be good...

Ugh, both those live streams are lagging hard for me :\ I'll just wait for a video rip to come up.

Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:30:39

lmao, Applejack can't lie for shit.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:32:01

Discord is a legend, I love that type of villain so much.

Also ripping out all their elements, that's harsh but well done. Can't wait for 2nd part now with how that ended.

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:34:57

Evil Fluttershy = Awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:35:51

Love the set-up for this and can't wait for the next episode.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:38:13

At 9/17/11 09:34 AM, XenonMonkey wrote: Evil Fluttershy = Awesome.

Fluttershy did the best at resisting Discord's influence.

Sound quality was pretty low on the stream I watched, but discord sounds really awesome, really liked the stained glass window scene.

Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:39:34

Also whatever spell affected the rabbits when all that weather shit was going on...

...was creepy as fuck.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:41:13

At 9/17/11 09:34 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Uhhhh, yea though. However let's stick the agreement for now and give everyone the chance to watch it this morning and later tonight and tomorrow before posting anything else that might be a spoiler. Do like the Discord voice actor, had no idea he was Q from Star Trek, nice.

Ah ok didnt see that. Will do.

But yes, Discord's voice and everything he says and how he acts, it just screams awesome Villain like sort of like Kefka for his joking view on everything. I do love how he likes Pinkie Pie because she loves having fun. Really adds to his character.

But yes, on the point of if I am disappointed or not by the new series, I can easily say no to that. That episode was great and the entire series is likely to keep to it.

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 09:43:39

At 9/17/11 09:38 AM, Acronze wrote:
Fluttershy did the best at resisting Discord's influence.

Sound quality was pretty low on the stream I watched, but discord sounds really awesome, really liked the stained glass window scene.

That was fun and noticed that as well. He just gave up with Fluttershy and forced it instead of playing his game. I did love his sudden change to be going "come on how can you like it" etc. Fluttershy really is ridiculously nice.

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 10:11:40

At 9/17/11 10:07 AM, ScaryPicnic wrote: Where can I watch it :( ?

Well it just went off, so I guess you'll have to wait for it to be posted on YouTube.

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 10:35:45

Youtube rips are up.

Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:12:46

Everypony knows that. It's really obvious.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:18:10

At 9/17/11 10:35 AM, Acronze wrote: Youtube rips are up.

Wow! That was quick. I wan't expecting to be up before tomorrow. Guess, I'll watch again now.

Why yes, that IS a large collection of 1998 "Smithy's Favourite Times" Licenced Cereal Pop Toys!

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:24:34

What up MLP fans back to "briefly" ( nope it's long) discuss watching episode 3, luckily it was early enough where no one is awake. (problem? :P)

So after my reviews of episodes one and 2 (which to be honest should've just been considered one episode with 2 parts but whatever. ) I was requested to watch a different episode, because many of you said the first one wasn't a good start off which is counter productive to its reception if you ask me but it is what it is.

On to the Review of Episode 3:

That DAMN theme song is still like nails on a chalk board. However, It could be the sleep deprivation talking but episode 3 wasn't half bad. In fact I'm satisfied enough to even say I enjoyed.

The story was pretty much a personal vendetta with Twilight struggling with her decision to take one of her pony friends to a party. If this summary was as straight forward as the episode itself ,obviously it would be boring as hell, and who could blame you? Fortunately that's not the case, The characters retain their interesting personalities, with still top notch art design and coloring to match. But wait a second did this show just successfully pull off witty banter? Pretty impressive for a show about ponies.

Also this episode is the most humorous one yet, using character personalities well timed slapstick-like action, and conversational humor to its advantage even the silly pony puns were worth a chuckle. All the ponies have a certain charm to them which is uniqueness as well as them providing humor in their own way. The ending was kinda forced almost felt like a cop-out in a sense to not disappoint young viewers but in the it was just the message of the day so I'll overlook it. Shows with positive influences are never a bad thing despite how obnoxious some may seem.

I could be wrong but it seems like I could eventually come across an episode where the ponies start actually having real conflict again, and hopefully soon. The show is still lacking violence which it claims to offer in it's own doses based on the premiere episodes. Not necessarily a big deal cause substituting action with comedy is an even trade,BUT isn't that the point of their powers?More importantly this could seal the deal for a more positive reception from me if the writers start making the audience take the ponies more seriously every once and a while. I wouldn't mind no longer viewing the ponies as pushovers so weak that even little Chao could beat them up. Except Rapidash....she'll Fuck even Perfect Chaos up. XD

Regardless, Episode 3 was enjoyable and the effort put in this episode seems to be more impressive then the effort in MLP's launch episode (it was probably that gay serpent). Or maybe that's not the case, maybe I'm slowly evolving or (mutating), however you wanna look at it into becoming a "bronie" and its style is starting to grow on me. Well I guess time will tell.

I'm in no hurry to catch up to the latest episode yet, I'm not that hooked. I'll continue to give MLP reviews in this forum to whom it may concern and keep reviewing unless I come across the one episode that just gets me hooked.

until then...

Pros:

- Characters are still fun to look at ( in a non "furry" way.)

- The humor is anted up, and continuing to take a step in the right direction

- Art style as beautiful and cool as always

- No longer starting to feel like it's a Strict girls only show.

-Embarrassment is virtually gone while watching ALONE at least (Be greatful one stepping stone at a time .)

-Rapid dash is the coolest horse

-Twilight has the most commendable personality

-Spike is awesome cause dragons are awesome

-All of them were funny but Flutter-shy is the Funniest because of her already hinted personality trait,that bunny helped to.

CONS: (Yes there's Cons)

- *Sigh* Damn,MLP theme......what can I say? I can only pray it will grow on me.

- They apparently have unique powers but still proves useless (except for twilight Sparkle) outside of making stuff look pretty. I think the art style got this down pack already and your female fan base ain't goin nowhere. I know there girls but the art style is feminine enough if you ask me.

-Of course I'm not expecting a solid narrative from the show but being 19...well, watching someone deciding who to take to a party is pretty insignificant overall. I know the age demographic isn't meant for us, but they obviously put enough effort in the show to attract 100+ NG pony fans. So would it be unreasonable not to desire a more interesting story? Just sayin....

Don't fret it was good overall:

7/10

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to MLP serious discussion thread 2011-09-17 11:31:00

At 9/17/11 10:35 AM, Acronze wrote: Youtube rips are up.

Dayum! That villian really knows how to manipulate ponies. Although, his act was kind of silly and not serious like Nightmare moon, i think his tactics are alot more cruel and unexpected.

Overall, really good after a long absence. Like to see others opinions though.

Also rodericii or watever your name is, glad you found a good interest. It is true that it does get less girly after a while but i gotta warn you, art of the dress if probably the most so i would avoid that one until you feel ready. It's actually a good episode if you can ignore the "dress" concept :P

My name is actually CK. Coleknows is too old.

BBS Signature