• 1,581 Replies
yos2
yos2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:05 AM

i'd like to start a discussion about the MLP fandom that won't have hating douchbags sparking flamewars and won't have bronies bombarding the thread with loads of pony images to participate in said flame wars.
so please: if you hate the fandom, go away from the thread there are 20 thers on the 1st page.

if a douchbag does show up and starts spewing hatered and insults do not respond to him! i don't

want flame wars best way to deal with them is to ignore them NOT assaulting them with image spam.

and please keep the imge count in this thread to a minimum. i want a serious discussion.

on to the topic:
why do you think the love for this show is so intense? this is something i never seen before. this not just a good cartoon that people like. the fandom is huge and a lot of people (including myself) are obssesed over it...
what makes Friendship is magic so uniqe in this matter? we don't have fans of oter cartoons being so active about it. they generally don't try to spread the love for the show but for FiM people have the urge to show it to everyone and making them love it. why do bronies like posting MLP images so much? -especially among themsleves.

these are are things that do not exist in other fandoms, i have no logical explanation to this i just feel that i love it and that the whole world should love it as well :P

BurningJesus
BurningJesus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:07 AM

MLP is gay!

AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:08 AM

MLP is gay!

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:10 AM

When I see "MLP" - I think Major League Pimpin
Not some gay pony bullshit.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:10 AM

Oh man, i cant even imagine how fast this is liable to get locked.

Ok, so, i like it for many reasons. I LOVE how pinky pie is so random and silly.

Twilight: How did you find that?

Pinky pie: Skipping away* IT WAS UNDER EEEEEE! \^-^/

I also like the animation, the morals of the show, and the fact that it makes me feel safe, and all warm and fuzzy inside.

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:13 AM

At 8/1/11 02:05 AM, yos2 wrote:
on to the topic:
what makes Friendship is magic so uniqe in this matter?

Because it is simply awesome. It's cute, humorous, and the style is reminiscient of cartoons from the 90s.

we don't have fans of oter cartoons being so active about it. they generally don't try to spread the love for the show but for FiM people have the urge to show it to everyone and making them love it. why do bronies like posting MLP images so much? -especially among themsleves.

Because the meme of MLP is one that is very well known. MLP has gotten a LOT of attention compared to other cartoons. Also... Look back at the previous question. We like to post pictures because they are just SO. FUCKING. ADORABLE.

these are are things that do not exist in other fandoms, i have no logical explanation to this i just feel that i love it and that the whole world should love it as well :P

I agree entirely. We should LOVE AND TOLERATE THE SHIT OUT OF people.

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:14 AM

MLP is gay

wait...
Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:15 AM

At 8/1/11 02:14 AM, ImaSmartass2 wrote: MLP is gay

wait...

MLP is gay?

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
Yrtnej
Yrtnej
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:28 AM

MLP is effeminate and childish. It's target audience is little girls, little boys, and people with a bad reputation of picking really bad hobbies to pump all of their time into.

How often does a new episode come out? Every week? Then can you please resign to talking about it once a god damn week? Or at least keep it in a thread in the clubs and crews?

Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:30 AM

At 8/1/11 02:28 AM, Yrtnej wrote: How often does a new episode come out? Every week? Then can you please resign to talking about it once a god damn week? Or at least keep it in a thread in the clubs and crews?

We would love to make a club. Sadly, the mods feel different about that notion...

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:31 AM

At 8/1/11 02:28 AM, Yrtnej wrote: MLP is effeminate and childish.

Im not. And your point?

It's target audience is little girls, little boys, and people with a bad reputation of picking really bad hobbies to pump all of their time into.

So? If your not into it, then dont pump your free time into hating it.

How often does a new episode come out? Every week?

Season one is over bro.

Then can you please resign to talking about it once a god damn week?

Bronies arent the only people that talk about the show they like all the time.

Or at least keep it in a thread in the clubs and crews?

This has been attempted, it was locked because the stupid mods here think its still only a meme.

Damn moderators.

TAB

BBS Signature
anauthor
anauthor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:32 AM

I was going to say something like, "the Cubs will win it all next year," but then I realized that 1) this is a sad and ridiculous hope, and 2) you said MLP not MLB.

My bad.

Fan of Jedi-Master and Squidbit | LIVE | Google+

BBS Signature
Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:36 AM

At 8/1/11 02:32 AM, anauthor wrote: I was going to say something like, "the Cubs will win it all next year," but then I realized that 1) this is a sad and ridiculous hope, and 2) you said MLP not MLB.

My bad.

i think cubs get the cheapest beer since they've failed so hard. yankees have to pay up almost twice as much as cubs do i think,but thats the last time i read something over the whole MLB franchising schtuff.(as i matter of fact it wasnt cubs,it was pirates who got cheapest beer)

anyways,joke aside about me trolling this thread,but is the show actually something good enough to watch whenever?

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:38 AM

At 8/1/11 02:36 AM, NimblekidX wrote:
At 8/1/11 02:32 AM, anauthor wrote:
anyways,joke aside about me trolling this thread,but is the show actually something good enough to watch whenever?

If you liked Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, then you'll like this show. Is it good? Yes.

Yrtnej
Yrtnej
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:40 AM

At 8/1/11 02:31 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 8/1/11 02:28 AM, Yrtnej wrote: MLP is effeminate and childish.
Im not. And your point?

It's completely possible to like something that doesn't reflect who you are as a person, herp derp.

It's target audience is little girls, little boys, and people with a bad reputation of picking really bad hobbies to pump all of their time into.
So? If your not into it, then dont pump your free time into hating it.

Implying I hate it. The show is great for its target audience, but it's not for me. I dislike the wake it leaves behind: people who are sophisticated in technology and old enough to use the computer that never stop talking about it.

How often does a new episode come out? Every week?
Season one is over bro.

Then can you please resign to talking about it once a god damn week?
Bronies arent the only people that talk about the show they like all the time.

I've never seen something like this, man. Every god damn forum on every god damn website has a thread about MLP. Why don't you go on a single forum to talk about it like all the other people who talk about the shows they like all the time.

Or at least keep it in a thread in the clubs and crews?
This has been attempted, it was locked because the stupid mods here think its still only a meme.

It is, but the moderators have kind of made a rash decision doing that.

Now, I'm going to stop posting before this turns into a giant flame war of bronies vs. people.

Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:41 AM

At 8/1/11 02:36 AM, NimblekidX wrote:

It is actually fairly interesting to watch. Of course... If you want to watch ANY episodes... You have to watch the FIRST TWO. They introduce all of the main characters. Here is aLink to the first eight episodes. (Courtesy of Xenomit) Just watch a few episodes, get to know the characters, and enjoy!!

BBS Signature
LucasJC
LucasJC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:49 AM

I'm not too fond of the show. I find it's a little better then all the other kids shows, but I find it lacks in the aspects that make shows meant for ADULTS like Supernatural and Breaking Bad so good. The meme is real amusing though.

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

anauthor
anauthor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:52 AM

At 8/1/11 02:38 AM, ImaSmartass2 wrote:
At 8/1/11 02:36 AM, NimblekidX wrote: Is the show actually something good enough to watch whenever?
If you liked Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, then you'll like this show. Is it good? Yes.

Omg, I looooved Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends! I miss it.
On MLP, it helps it you already had a soft spot for the show from back in the day and that the new, pimped out version is pretty cool.

Fan of Jedi-Master and Squidbit | LIVE | Google+

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 02:52 AM

At 8/1/11 02:41 AM, Finalfina wrote: Here is aLink to the first eight episodes. (Courtesy of Xenomit) Just watch a few episodes, get to know the characters, and enjoy!!

umm, thanks for the credit, but i added the rest of season one...

But whatever.

TAB

BBS Signature
supermofo
supermofo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 03:06 AM

ppppppppppppppppppppt.... pppt... whoops, i just shit myself with boredom because this is fucking gay.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 03:14 AM

I've got my reasons.

The animation is actually great, the expressions the ponies make are quite emotional and can be serious, cute, and comical. The characters aren't restricted to their set stereotypes, over time they do have character development over the course of the episodes. There are morals to learn at the end of each episode like some kids shows do, but how we get to that moral is an interesting journey upon itself.

Overall for an idea like "My Little Pony" I'm surprised at how much effort is put into it as well as the writing. It is a girly show and it does have girly themes and scenes like a slumber party, but these moments and themes are usually downplayed and not shoved into your face.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Bogoblin
Bogoblin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 03:14 AM

Irony is the reason why it's so popular. It's still a great show though.

crob
I do Let's Plays on youtube!

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 03:16 AM

Under the right conditions, it can get me sexualy excited....

Oh lawd, my emotional fortress isnt strong enough to withstand the upcoming hate comments.

TAB

BBS Signature
ImaSmartass2
ImaSmartass2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 03:17 AM

At 8/1/11 03:16 AM, Xenomit wrote: Under the right conditions, it can get me sexualy excited....

Oh lawd, my emotional fortress isnt strong enough to withstand the upcoming hate comments.

I am now officially ashamed to be part of this thread.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 03:20 AM

At 8/1/11 03:17 AM, ImaSmartass2 wrote: I am now officially ashamed to be part of this thread.

this is only the begining of bombardenates,

TAB

BBS Signature
RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 05:05 AM

why do you think the love for this show is so intense? this is something i never seen before. this not just a good cartoon that people like. the fandom is huge and a lot of people (including myself) are obssesed over it...
what makes Friendship is magic so uniqe in this matter? we don't have fans of oter cartoons being so active about it. they generally don't try to spread the love for the show but for FiM people have the urge to show it to everyone and making them love it. why do bronies like posting MLP images so much? -especially among themsleves.

The show is okay for a kid's show. People genuinely enjoy it. The community is stronger and might have streaks of irony. It's funny to know you belong somewhere because of MLP and at what length (positively) the community goes to express love for the show.
A second point is that I like to call it a student thing. The idea that bronies are a bunch of creepy old dudes who still live in their mother's basement is preposterous. the majority is between 15 and 25 years old. That's the age people get into 'weird' hobbies like watching cartoons and circus stuff.
The reason why so much fanart sprouts is a bit the irony of creating a community based on pony cartoons. The thought of a community that actively seeks to be nice to eachother (and probably others) and that want to uphold this ideal must encourage enough people to get deeper into it. heck, there's bronies who started up a charity initiative.
Why spamming images? First off, it's an exploitable meme thing. The art on the show easily allows for manipulation with graphic programs. For those with a taste for trolling, it seems to annoy people. Secondly, bronies stem from 4chan tradition mostly and they're bred on imageboard tradition, making them think it's okay to use images in posts on other sites. They don't mean ill, but i can see where the hate comes from on that.

What really concerns me on the phenomenon is how peole twist it by making ridiculous strawmans of the fandom and taking it seriously. There exits R34 as does in every other fandom. Doesn't mean bronies are into horse sex or are out rapin yo wife, rapin yo kids. I am a bit afraid that pitchfork will be raised and requests for banning the show will be made because of this bigotry.

To OP, it is not that good an idea to raise this topic over here, as it will only strengthen the hate. Let's not discuss ponies in yet another thread ever again...

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
Tobi
Tobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 05:08 AM

It helps them to escape the fact a black guy is going to beat them up in school tomorrow.

BBS Signature
Cocktor
Cocktor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 05:08 AM

MLP is gay

___,....--!--..---......,,,,¡_
||___---_¡c»(\)ÌÌÌÌÌÌ||||||==
. /_/-' l____}|------IIIIIIII-77777/

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 05:34 AM

At 8/1/11 05:21 AM, ScaryPicnic wrote: But the morals do grate on me, and they tend to be ham-handed in a lot of situations.

This is where I would disagree. Keep in mind that as younger and older adults we can see this. As far as a kids show it works out wonderfully, but still the journey to the moral is a fun one. Yeah there are episodes that don't deal with the morals entirely too well, but for the most part the show takes something that is merely meant for marketing and makes an effort to actually make a good show. Oh yeah and HBO will be showing the first ten episodes of Season 2.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to MLP serious discussion thread Aug. 1st, 2011 @ 05:35 AM

At 8/1/11 05:34 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Oh yeah and HBO will be showing the first ten episodes of Season 2.

This is the part where i wish i had HBO. Shit... Well thats ok, i have Youtube.

BBS Signature