Be a Supporter!
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 01:02:46 Reply

So I just recently picked up an indie game called Dungeons of Dredmor and was curious has anyone else tried it or played it?

It's rather addicting and the different skills you can start with mixed with the randomly generated dungeons makes it quite re-playable. It also as an option to delete your character if you die if you like a challenge.

BBS Signature
TechnoGoomba
TechnoGoomba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 02:34:36 Reply

LUTEFISK FOR THE LUTEFISK GOD

Dungeons of Dredmor

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 03:20:01 Reply

At 7/31/11 01:02 AM, zooos wrote: So I just recently picked up an indie game called Dungeons of Dredmor and was curious has anyone else tried it or played it?

It's rather addicting and the different skills you can start with mixed with the randomly generated dungeons makes it quite re-playable. It also as an option to delete your character if you die if you like a challenge.

Fucking finally, I was about to make this thread myself.

I picked up up yesterday myself, and I've been addicted to it. While it's pretty easy for a roguelike, it's still god damn hard, and really fun, yes I play with permadeath, anyone who doesn't is a massive pussy.

My best build so far has been Maces, Dualwield, deadshot, beserker rage, vampirism, viking wizardry, and assassin. Made it to floor 2, and killed a monster zoo before running into two poison traps and a death boss.

Fucking monster zoos, man, I can't believe I survived. Was pretty bittersweet though.

Dungeons of Dredmor

[Last.FM] [Steam ID] Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 04:44:51 Reply

Yea the zoos get pretty damn intense, but there is just something about the game, I always find myself telling myself just a little bit more exploration and I'm done, yet I keep going.

Wish I would of known you could sell items early on, I ended up going back to previous dungeons and collecting items just to sell.

BBS Signature
VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 08:06:17 Reply

I have been playing this game pretty intense too. Dual weild, mace, assassin, deadshot, evasion, armor and smithing.

I think vampiric can be good but is situationnal and I like to take Archeologist with it so I can be able to dismantle traps easily. As traps are a vampire's bane.

zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 08:23:31 Reply

At 7/31/11 08:06 AM, VenomKing666 wrote: I have been playing this game pretty intense too. Dual weild, mace, assassin, deadshot, evasion, armor and smithing.

I think vampiric can be good but is situationnal and I like to take Archeologist with it so I can be able to dismantle traps easily. As traps are a vampire's bane.

Glad to see there are other people addicted to it. I've mostly been a sword fighter, usually always take the dodge trait. But I got a little pissed so I started over with a Mace player since it seemed like all I ever would find were mace/staff/wand weapons, of course now I never find any maces.

I've run into some pretty annoying, what I assume, glitches. On the 5th floor in one of the entrances to the Merchant, enemies kept spawning two or a three at a time within his area. Even after I entered they kept spawning.

Another three I ran into was one where you lost your Enchantment(I had a sword that had a chance to shoot flames), while fighting having items in your hotbar drop without even interacting with them, and zoos that no matter how many kills you get the number of enemies doesn't go down.

Still addicted though...

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 13:41:57 Reply

At 7/31/11 04:44 AM, zooos wrote: Wish I would of known you could sell items early on, I ended up going back to previous dungeons and collecting items just to sell.

Same, I didn't know you could sell things till about my 10th or so character, would've been really helpful early on.

You guys have any tips for bosses, and well, gettings deeper in? I feel like I should have gotten deeper than the 2nd floor by now on a medium permadeath character...

At 7/31/11 08:06 AM, VenomKing666 wrote:

Oh Definitely. Archaeologist gets benefits against traps? I haven't used it before, might have to check that out.

Vampirism is indeed a double-edged sword. While a lot of the time It has saved my life (like in that monster zoo), there are a good a mount of times where it's fucked me as well, particularly against something like a poison bolt trap.

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 16:04:51 Reply

I would give you tips but it's way to early on in my playtime to really know too much about the game.

Only thing I could say is remember to spam the spacebar when low on health.

BBS Signature
VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 18:16:23 Reply

At 7/31/11 01:41 PM, Viri wrote: Oh Definitely. Archaeologist gets benefits against traps? I haven't used it before, might have to check that out.

It gives you a cool fedora. Also archeologist is basically Indiana Jones, and he always escape traps, so yes it gives bonuses, and the abilities of the archeologist are related to items, they are pretty useful sometimes.

ALso thievery is another underrated skill I would say.

Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 18:16:31 Reply

At 7/31/11 04:04 PM, zooos wrote: I would give you tips but it's way to early on in my playtime to really know too much about the game.

Only thing I could say is remember to spam the spacebar when low on health.

Such tactics are useless as a vampire.

Anyway, I made it to floor 3 for the first time, liking the setting, lol. Found an evil chest in the first room and it spawned a man eating carrot, fucked his shit up.

I may even make it to floor 4.

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 18:33:36 Reply

At 7/31/11 06:16 PM, Viri wrote: Such tactics are useless as a vampire.

Anyway, I made it to floor 3 for the first time, liking the setting, lol. Found an evil chest in the first room and it spawned a man eating carrot, fucked his shit up.

I may even make it to floor 4.

Never used that trait so no clue.

Currently have my character set up with Maces, Archery, Artful Dodging, Master of Arms, Assassinations, Smithing and Burglary.

As for those carrots, when I first saw them I thought they were corn.

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 21:50:40 Reply

At 7/31/11 06:16 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: ALso thievery is another underrated skill I would say.

Yeah I would agree, burglury seems extremely useful, as a lot of other skills. I'll have to check out Archeology, another one I liked too was Astrology, the aura you get just for having it is really nice.

At 7/31/11 06:33 PM, zooos wrote:
Currently have my character set up with Maces, Archery, Artful Dodging, Master of Arms, Assassinations, Smithing and Burglary.

Archery? Crossbows?

Anyway, just died again, Got to floor 3, ran into a monster zoo (see pic), killed all of them surprisingly, two rooms later I find one of those cloud faggots, a boss one, get it down to half HP and then it slaps my shit before I got a chance to use my potion of replenish. Scored about 36,000 on that one, my best run so far. Time to tweak my build some more.

My build this run was Maces, Dual wield, Deadshot, Assassin, Viking Magic, Vampirism, and Beserker rage.

as for points, I put one in vampirism for the corpse consume, maxed Assassin, and then Dual weild

I'm thinking of dropping viking magic, but I really do like the first skill you get, that bit of electric damage, and resistance does help a lot in some cases. Same with Assassin. My critical chance was pretty high but I could probably replace it with something like Archaeology for more use.

Also is Haywire effected by your critical rating at all? I got a ton of haywire procs this time around, maybe that was why.

Playing on Medium with perma death too, any build tips would be welcome.

Dungeons of Dredmor

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-07-31 22:12:48 Reply

You guys would enjoy Azure Dreams.

BBS Signature
VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-02 17:20:16 Reply

I think I'll stop playing until the next update, the item stacking bug is just too annoying.

Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-02 17:32:49 Reply

At 8/2/11 05:20 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: I think I'll stop playing until the next update, the item stacking bug is just too annoying.

Item stacking bug? Items not stacking correctly or something?

In other news, I tried out a silly build last night, and got to floor 3 with it.

Unarmed, Master of Arms, Shields, Vampirism, Archaeology, Deadshot, and Beserker rage. My goal with this was to make a very defensive character with really high counter attack, block, dodge, and armor absorption, taking unarmed so I can dual wield shields for a high block stat.

It actually worked surprisingly well, too, though I did get some shitty luck with Anvil's of Krong, and got cursed three times in a row.

I was actually thinking of taking Dual wield for the counter attack stat and knocking off Vampirism or something. I think getting the dodge skill would be really good too, maybe replace Rage with it? Though, the HP buff you get can be really useful.

Interested in hearing thoughts about this type of build, if anyone has any.

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-02 18:16:26 Reply

Looks pretty good although in my experience Rage really hasn't been worth it. If your looking for a defensive character maybe try and replace Rage with Artful Dodging because that improves the evade chance.

BBS Signature
SuspiciousPenguin
SuspiciousPenguin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-02 20:20:09 Reply

Aw I love this game, I know the key is to role a tanky melee class but I can't help but be a mage I just love it, but you are mega squishy, great game.

Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-02 20:41:17 Reply

At 8/2/11 06:16 PM, zooos wrote: Looks pretty good although in my experience Rage really hasn't been worth it. If your looking for a defensive character maybe try and replace Rage with Artful Dodging because that improves the evade chance.

I actually think I'm just going to ditch Vampirism for artful dodging, I havent tried a non vamp character before.

At 8/2/11 08:20 PM, SuspiciousPenguin wrote:
Aw I love this game, I know the key is to role a tanky melee class but I can't help but be a mage I just love it, but you are mega squishy, great game.

Actually, the most successful and powerful builds thus far according to the forums have be ranged mage builds, since almost all of the enemies in the game are melee (including dreadmor himself).

I have yet to actually try a mage, but after my next run I think I will.

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-02 20:48:24 Reply

At 8/2/11 08:41 PM, Viri wrote: I have yet to actually try a mage, but after my next run I think I will.

Same, I've been playing with melee classes but from what I've seen/read mages are more superior in ways.

BBS Signature
VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-02 22:56:44 Reply

At 8/2/11 05:32 PM, Viri wrote:
At 8/2/11 05:20 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: I think I'll stop playing until the next update, the item stacking bug is just too annoying.
Item stacking bug? Items not stacking correctly or something?

Exactly that, and it takes valuable inventory space it shouldn't be taking. Also alchemy is pretty cool, I am making potions like the fist of the north star.

zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-03 00:58:50 Reply

Something that keeps me from playing the game is the endless stream of monsters I keep encountering. I'll be in one area and matter which way I go monster after monster spawns thus not allowing me to progress. Right now I'm in a area where I've already killed 50 monsters(and this isn't a zoo) and they just keep spawning and I can't fucking move.

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-05 00:17:03 Reply

So although the modding tools haven't been released, I've learned there is still some rather simple modding you can do.

The files are in the .xml format and can be edited and saved with notepad. Here's an example of some of the coding of a spell, the dev's have sort of put information here and there for guidance, sorta.

<spell name="Diggle Flu" type="target">
<buff useTimer="1" time="44"
allowstacking="0"
icon="skills/spells/diggle_flu64.png"
smallicon="skills/spells/diggle_flu32.pn g"
bad="1" >
<primarybuff id="0" amount="-1"/> <!-- Burliness -->
<primarybuff id="1" amount="-1"/> <!-- Sagacity -->
<primarybuff id="2" amount="-1"/> <!-- Nimbleness -->
<secondarybuff id="0" amount="-2"/> <!-- hp -->
</buff>

BBS Signature
eason926
eason926
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-05 01:17:27 Reply

I have used to play this game before but its not the kind i like, so i quit it. its a little complicated

oopa voice chat when you are play games Antivirus gratuito for your PC

Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-06 04:21:45 Reply

Fuck yeah.

BBS Signature
UncleABCD
UncleABCD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-06 05:34:59 Reply

At 7/31/11 09:50 PM, Viri wrote: Playing on Medium with perma death too, any build tips would be welcome.

Build tips?

Psh. Real men press RANDOM.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-06 05:40:54 Reply

At 8/6/11 05:34 AM, UncleABCD wrote: Psh. Real men press RANDOM.

I'll consider that after I actually finish the game.

BBS Signature
OddCore
OddCore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-06 07:58:42 Reply

Dungeons of Dredmor was inspired by NetHack, which was inspired by Hack, which was inspired by Dwarf Fortress.

All cool games :) check them out.

I end threads.

zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-06 08:33:32 Reply

At 8/6/11 04:21 AM, Viri wrote: Fuck yeah.

There's another sword that is a lot better then that one. If I recall it had 23 slashing, I had two of them and the game after that was pretty much a breeze.

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Dungeons of Dredmor 2011-08-06 18:18:59 Reply

At 8/6/11 08:33 AM, zooos wrote: There's another sword that is a lot better then that one. If I recall it had 23 slashing, I had two of them and the game after that was pretty much a breeze.

Yeah I'm sure there is, considering I found that on floor one.

Anyway, I got to the fourth floor, ran into another fucking monster zoo, and right as I was about to take out a boss he got a counter attack on me, and I died.

Fuck this game.

BBS Signature