pistatic
pistatic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:29:26 Reply

Great dilemma.
A few days ago I submitted a game here, newgrounds exclusively. It have frustrating hard-to-learn controls, and very steep difficulty increase. I thought adding some medals will increase it's popularity (:D), so I enchanted it with the NG API system, added medals, but didn't bothered adding advertisement, because I know it wouldn't get that popular.
After the few hours of the under judgement process, I wasn't surprised, it received an excepted low score. Checked back a few times that day, the low score remained, visitors were around ~700.
Here comes the interesting part: (four days later - today) I thougth i'll check the views again. 800+, not a great surprise. Then I checked the api page's views (it counts how many times the game started running online). Shocking number: 228,267 all-time views, 51,021 just today. Woah.. it might be a bug, I thougth. After a few minutes of googling I found the source of views. There is a spanish, and a chinese site who runs my game (put their advertisement before it - of course). Even the description were translated, they did it well, I liked it. The game recieved an approximately hih score there, and also made the #2nd place in action category.
Let's see. Good for players, they played a good game (i hope :P). Good for those sites, they earn money from ads, and 200k views. Good for Newgrounds, I placed a link for the page, it redirects people here. And last, it feels good for me that people play my game.
The funny thing is that if I put the ads in the game, i would've stucked with the 900 views.
Great dilemma: should I put ads in my further games and try to run 'em up by myself, or just write games and get satishfied with it...
-pistatic

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to 900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:31:27 Reply

You should sue the fuck out of that spanish site for stealing your game and get money that way.

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to 900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:34:00 Reply

do you plan on making WINTERMAGE 2? If it's that popular, you should definitely pursue it over the next couple months, put in ads, and see if it gains the same popularity across other sites. Have you tried uploading it onto Kongregate as well?

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
LucasJC
LucasJC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to 900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:36:07 Reply

Sue there ass! Are you a human or not?

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to 900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:37:02 Reply

Exclusivity is rarely a good idea, unless you're being paid a metric fucktonne and have no expectations of ad revenue being anywhere near close to what you're being paid. Choosing to limit your game without monetary compensation is ridiculous. Flash games get popularity through being spread out across the internet, 1,000 views on one site, 2,000 on another, 500 on another, 40,000 on another etc etc etc etc. and you should cater to that.

What do you gain from it being Newgrounds exclusive? If you want to "give back" to Newgrounds, great, but it's a terrible move for your game and monetary return. If money and exposure don't mean anything, carry on, but exclusivity when you want to make money or gain exposure is tres bad.

What you should do is assume that sites are going to copy your game from Newgrounds (it's going to happen, happens to every playable game) so focus on maximizing your revenue in that situation.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to 900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:38:37 Reply

You should contact the owners of the other website and ask them to remove it or give you a portion of the ad revenue, seriously.

There's also nothing wrong with placing a small ad in the preloader to earn a bit of extra cash. You can also sign up for revenue sharing on Newgrounds, but it obviously won't help you that much if the game isn't popular here.

Awesome game by the way, though the mouse controls were a bit wonky.

pistatic
pistatic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to 900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:47:29 Reply

i have no intention suing anybody. I should be even greatful for that they posted my work on a place where it gets audience.
Wintermage remains uploaded ony here, i wouldn't except any popularity for it on kongegate either (or any well known site)
probably the best way to make casual fun games, upload it some place with ads and hope for the best.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to 900 views here, 200 000+ elsewhere 2011-07-29 21:53:54 Reply

You don't have to sue anyone, but it's only fair for them to give you a portion of the ad revenue.